Why don't these retail stores - - - - - - ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By TuteTibiImperes

post #1 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Question Why don't these retail stores - - - - - - ?

1. Put the same video on all the sets ?

2. Keep the sets properly calibrated ?

3. Play 4k content on all 4k sets ?

4. List all the main specs and the model on a poster next to the set ?

5. Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Because most of the buying public hasn't a clue about calibration, 4k (what it really means), what specs mean, etc. They just look at the "great" picture in torch mode and buy into all of the HDMI 2.0/HDR/UHD/4k hype. It's basically marketing.

Why spend the time calibrating a set when a lot of folks don't like, or care, that their tv meets current calibration standards. And if you're viewing a set in BB, I wouldn't trust that their calibrators have done a good job.
toddman36 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Many retail stores have paid vendor spaces. This dictates which content goes on the TVs, where they are located in the stores, etc. Also, manufacturers usually pay for a content provider to create content for their models to accentuate certain specifications.

A retail store doesn't care what TV you purchase... they just want you to buy.

Comments and opinions are my own.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post

5. Etc.
1. The manufactures determine what content is displayed on their TVs for copyright reasons and because they want to have consistent results for their TVs across all stores.

2. If they calibrated the TVs and then you got your TV home un-calibrated then you would return it because it didn't operate like it did in the store.

3. Sometimes stores want to highlight that the 4K TVs can do just fine with 1080p content. I am glad they do that since the vast majority of content is not 4K.

4. The stores list what the manufactures tell them to list. If they list anything other than that then they open themselves up to issues with misrepresenting the TVs. The manufactures don't always want to highlight "Everything" about their TVs.

5. I just wish stores wouldn't put certain TVs up really high at terrible angles so that they appear to be worse than the TVs that are below them with better viewing angles.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

Most do, but why would an LG demo be playing on a Samsung or
Sony?

What do you mean properly calibrated? Retail stores display all their tv in torch mode because the general public is attracted to bright pictures. It's up to consumer to change the settings and and play with the tv before making a purchase.

Most do, the problem is that you can't audition the up scaling of HD sources when this is done. The consumer must do it themselves.

They always have the model next to a set and some specs. That's the responsibility of a smart shopper to do their own research before buying.

5. Etc.
Etc.

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #6 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Every TV set I've ever encountered has a "Demo" function for the public. All of the AVR sets in the Magnolia Room I was just in all said "Demo" on the screens.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
1. The manufactures determine what content is displayed on their TVs for copyright reasons and because they want to have consistent results for their TVs across all stores.

2. If they calibrated the TVs and then you got your TV home un-calibrated then you would return it because it didn't operate like it did in the store.

3. Sometimes stores want to highlight that the 4K TVs can do just fine with 1080p content. I am glad they do that since the vast majority of content is not 4K.

4. The stores list what the manufactures tell them to list. If they list anything other than that then they open themselves up to issues with misrepresenting the TVs. The manufactures don't always want to highlight "Everything" about their TVs.

5. I just wish stores wouldn't put certain TVs up really high at terrible angles so that they appear to be worse than the TVs that are below them with better viewing angles.

Some good points. However today three retail stores were playing a Sharp demo on Samsung sets and many salespeople have stated that the department manager determines what will be displayed.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
Every TV set I've ever encountered has a "Demo" function for the public. All of the AVR sets in the Magnolia Room I was just in all said "Demo" on the screens.

Magnolia is better at this than the other stores, or in the Best Buy areas.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Perhaps more importantly, why don't they do like used to be done: group comparable size/price point sets together so you can actually compare them?

The answer to all these comes down to that TV manufacturers don't want it that way. They couldn't care less if you buy the best set. (Especially if their set is s**t.) They only want you to buy their set. And since the retailers are not a broad free market anymore, BestBuy and the manufacturers are in this deadly embrace where they each basically get to dictate their terms to the other.

Last edited by Dick W; 06-07-2015 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Because most of the buying public hasn't a clue about calibration, 4k (what it really means), what specs mean, etc. They just look at the "great" picture in torch mode and buy into all of the HDMI 2.0/HDR/UHD/4k hype. It's basically marketing.

Why spend the time calibrating a set when a lot of folks don't like, or care, that their tv meets current calibration standards. And if you're viewing a set in BB, I wouldn't trust that their calibrators have done a good job.

Most people I know definitely acknowledge Ultra HD much more than 4k. "Calibration" is best described as "adjustments" to consumers.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 06-07-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: (decried changed to described)
post #11 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Most people I know definitely acknowledge Ultra HD much more than 4k. "Calibration" is best decried as "adjustments" to consumers.
4K is sort of a dumb name, it should be 4XHD, as in 4 times the pixels in a regular 1080p HD set.

I'm on the fence about calibration. I know some here swear by it, but it seems self-defeating to take a high end set and calibrate it down to the Rec. 709 standards that were developed for older technology. It seems like buying a Corvette and then having the intake restricted and a limiter installed so that it will perform more like a Camry.

If I buy a TV that can do 98% DCI P3, I want it to make use of all of those colors all the time. If I buy a TV that can hit 800 nits brightness without raising the black level, I Want it to be able to hit that brightness all the time. I want it to reproduce the maximum amount of detail from the original image while making it look as colorful and engrossing as it can be.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Some good points. However today three retail stores were playing a Sharp demo on Samsung sets and many salespeople have stated that the department manager determines what will be displayed.
Nothing is stopping them from doing whatever they want to do. However, if the right person walked into the store and saw they were playing unlicensed content on the wrong TV then they would have consequences to deal with.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
4K is sort of a dumb name, it should be 4XHD, as in 4 times the pixels in a regular 1080p HD set.

I'm on the fence about calibration. I know some here swear by it, but it seems self-defeating to take a high end set and calibrate it down to the Rec. 709 standards that were developed for older technology. It seems like buying a Corvette and then having the intake restricted and a limiter installed so that it will perform more like a Camry.

If I buy a TV that can do 98% DCI P3, I want it to make use of all of those colors all the time. If I buy a TV that can hit 800 nits brightness without raising the black level, I Want it to be able to hit that brightness all the time. I want it to reproduce the maximum amount of detail from the original image while making it look as colorful and engrossing as it can be.
REC.709 is the current video standard. You can choose another standard to calibrate against such at BT.1866 and soon tv's will be capable of REC.2020. I agree about the 4k name. It can be very misleading especially to the general public who only know and understand what the marketeers tell them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page