Costco / Square Trade Warranty Help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2015, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Costco / Square Trade Warranty Help

I just bought a Samsung TV from HH Greg and paid over $600 for the 5 year extended warranty. I then seen a thread in a different forum talking about the Square Trade Warranty from Costco and have been researching $89 deal.

It sounds like from reading the ad on Costco that the TV will be covered by Samsung year 1, Costco year 2, and Square Trade year 3-5. BUT, after reading this thread, it sounds like that's only true if TV was purchased AT Costco. Since I purchased at HH Greg, the ST 3 year policy kicks in year 2, and I'll lose the 5th year.

Is this accurate OR has this plan changed in the last year (since the last postings in that thread was May of 2014) and Costco covers year 2 and ST does go to year 3-5.

It seems like a no brainer to save the $550 on the policies. Just wanted to check on the above scenario and other peoples opinions on getting ST warranty VS the high priced warranty at HH Greg. Does anyone have any advice / experience with Costco/Square Trade warranty?

Thanks for any assistance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 07:33 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Since you didn't buy the TV at Costco, Costco Concierge doesn't cover it in year 2.

Samsung covers it in year 1, then after that Square Trade covers it per their terms.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 06-19-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I posted this recently in the Samsung JS8500 thread when I was still mulling over this purchase (I ultimately bought the set and SquareSpace from Costco). I hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
Here's the trade-off according to the rep I spoke with: if you bought your TV elsewhere then SquareTrade will cover the first three years of your ownership, which means it overlaps with the first year's manufacturer's warranty. I can't vouch for that 100% but that's what I was explicitly told. I'd call and see what another rep says. You may also want to check out SquareTrade's Amazon offering, which may be better for your non-Costco purchase.

If instead you buy the TV at Costco then Costco extends the official one year warranty by a year and SquareTrade's $89 service extends you out three years further (five years total).

With this size purchase, the possible panel problems and other potential problems, In the end, I bought the TV from Costco mainly for the peace of mind at a reasonable cost. I even upped my membership to Executive (for one year) because it gave me a 2% savings on this sizeable purchase, more than making up for the higher fee.

The math:
$55 (Costco membership for one year; incl. warranty for 2 years)
$89 (SquareTrade; incl. warranty for 3 more years)
-------
$144 (Total includes five years' combined warranty and a year's worth of gallon jugs of mayonnaise, free samples, cheap hot dogs, and all the Kirkland product you could want)

Last edited by IronWaffle; 06-19-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I had to buy TV through HH Greg as I had a $2700 credit for a dead Panny Plasma there. I am already a Costco member, so no extra $ to spend there.

Think I'll take the $89 4 year of protection over the $650 5 years of protection. I wasn't going to spend the $650, but WAF talked me into it on the spot.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Costco / Square Trade Warranty Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCSchoch View Post
Thanks. I had to buy TV through HH Greg as I had a $2700 credit for a dead Panny Plasma there. I am already a Costco member, so no extra $ to spend there.

Think I'll take the $89 4 year of protection over the $650 5 years of protection. I wasn't going to spend the $650, but WAF talked me into it on the spot.
I'd double check by calling SquareTrade. My memory is unreliable but I believe if you keep the set from HH Gregg and get SquareTrade at Costco then you only have a total of three years' coverage because the first of the three years of SquareTrade will begin immediately so in effect you'll be double covered for year one and will have no coverage beginning year four.

That's not to say it wouldn't still be worth it at $89 but it's good to know going in and not be surprised down the road.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
I'd double check by calling SquareTrade. My memory is unreliable but I believe if you keep the set from HH Gregg and get SquareTrade at Costco then you only have a total of three years' coverage because the first of the three years of SquareTrade will begin immediately so in effect you'll be double covered for year one and will have no coverage beginning year four.

That's not to say it wouldn't still be worth it at $89 but it's good to know going in and not be surprised down the road.

Good luck!
I haven't called yet, but bought it online at Costco.com. The email I got from ST read as, "Coverage Starts After Mfg Warranty OR Costco's Concierge expiration, whichever is longest"

"Coverage Ends: 3 Years after Coverage Start"

So sounds like I'll be covered 4 years as descirbed. Year 1 Mfg Warranty, Year 2,3,4 Square Trade.

MUCH better deal that $650 for 5 years from HH Greg....Going to get refund tonight!!!
IronWaffle likes this.