Do I really need 70" TV for my living room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old Today, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do I really need 70" TV for my living room?

My 32" LCD TV just died and I need to buy a new one. At about 10', the 32" was too small but that's all I could afford 4 years ago. Times have changed, so there is a bit more dough to spend on a TV now. Problem is that most of the sites recommend 65-70" screens for 10' viewing distance. That's a huge display. I know that I am comparing it to my old 32" but still, 70" is not even going to fit on my entertainment center. Was thinking of going with 42" or maybe 49" LG TV but don't want to make a mistake of buying TV that's way too small. The 42" just seems right to me size-wise.

I am not a big TV person. I have roof antenna, don't watch sports, just movies and some TV shows from time to time. No gaming but kids do watch cartoons. Most of the time, the TV just displays Kodi home screen where we choose music to listen to.

Should I go with the recommended size or get 42" TV that I think I should be comfortable with? What's your take on this "recommended TV for N feet of viewing distance"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Today, 04:40 PM

Liked: 0
I am in a similar situation as you. I think part of it really depends how you use the TV. If its not the centerpiece of the living room or its multi purpose environment i think you can get by without the recommended size. If you have had a 32in for this long i would say an immersive experience is not something that is too high on the priority list. That being said, I think at least a 52in or higher is a nice starting point for a living room. I sit about 11ft away from a 52in and haven't ever been bothered by the experience of missing what i watch but with some prices on decent screens you can either get much bigger screen or a small high end unit.

I'd personally recommend you consider at least a 50in TV for the main viewing room but again this is somewhat of a subjective topic. After 5yrs of my TV i couldnt imagine using anything smaller and I think that would be the case if you were to get anything larger.
post #3 of 8 Old Today, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Get the size you want. Don't obsess over recommended viewing sizes.

That being said, bigger is always better
post #4 of 8 Old Today, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replies guys. I guess, I could go with 46" screen since that would be right in the middle between the 42" and 49" that I am considering. The problem is that not a lot of stores carry 46" anymore.
post #5 of 8 Old Today, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My parents have a 42" in their living room and I have a 55". The 55" is way better. Sometimes I can struggle to see things on their TV that I can see clearly on mine. I'd advise you get a 50" minimum. 70"+ isn't that necessary imho, because at that point you should start thinking of a projector and a dedicated theater room (unless you have extra money, then by all means get an 80" and send one to me too )

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #6 of 8 Old Today, 05:39 PM

Last year I replaced my 46" LED with a 65" plasma. The 65" screen seemed very large at first but I'm already casting sidelong glances at 75 to 80" screens. Without seeing your room, no one can really tell you what will be best but if you're considering 46" I don't think you'd go wrong erring to the side of larger (50-55). You'll thank me next time you watch a movie, and a 55" tv won't dominate the room, especially when the seating position is 10' away.
post #7 of 8 Old Today, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

My father has 55" TV and to me it is way too big. One of the problems may be that his siting distance is shorter than mine but watching his TV, I can see individual pixels and you can't really "grab" the whole screen with your eyes. This makes for a very uncomfortable viewing experience. I guess I am really going against the mainstream in the whole big screen TV thing.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I replaced a 42" with a 70".....in my bedroom and love it. I'm around 13' back and see no line structure. Even from 10' I still enjoy the picture but you have to make the call.

Nabs17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays