Sony 910c or 940c - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony 910c or 940c

I'm in the market for a new tv and my 2 choices are the Sony 910c and the 940c... From what I've been reading the 910 performs like the 850 but with a thinner footprint... they appear to be the same tv with the same specs... I love the 940c but I cant get over the fact that it has attached speakers... i'm sure i can get over it over time... i need some help in figuring out which one to buy.... i'm planning to keep this tv for a long time 8+ years.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The 940C will far outperform the 910C.

You get FALD for superior blacks + HDR support that will be more and more of a benefit as HDR content floods the market in coming years.

The 910C is a TV for people who care more about what the TV looks like when it's off than what the picture looks like when it's on.
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
why not the 850C, it's not as thin as the 910 but it's direct lit instead of edge lit, and should be cheaper than the other options.
post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

I considered the 850c as well but I am curious to see how well it stacks up with the 910... If performance is paramount the 940 would take the cake right?... Seems like the 850 and 910 would perform the same... just can't get over the side speakers for some reason
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Most of us have not seen a 910C yet so direct comparisons are going to be hard to come by.

It is fair to speculate that the 940C will be significantly better.

Between the 850C and the 910C it will be harder to judge until people start seeing them in person and some reviews are available.
post #6 of 9 Unread Today, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all everyone's input... i pulled the trigger and got the 940c yesterday... its gonna be delivered next Sat from Magnolia... i'll post impressions shortly.
post #7 of 9 Unread Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
The 940C will far outperform the 910C.

You get FALD for superior blacks + HDR support that will be more and more of a benefit as HDR content floods the market in coming years.

The 910C is a TV for people who care more about what the TV looks like when it's off than what the picture looks like when it's on.
HDR content will never "Flood" the market just like 3D never "Flooded" the market.
post #8 of 9 Unread Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 378
What matters here is that
''The outer panel on the X940C is what really sets it apart from the lower 4K Sony's. It's also what adds so much to the cost. It creates the depth, richness, and vibrant colors and contrast that make this TV so desirable.''
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...r-75x940c.html
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
HDR content will never "Flood" the market just like 3D never "Flooded" the market.
I predict HDR becoming much more popular than 3D for a few reasons -

1. 3D requires glasses, this is the big killer for me, I hate wearing glasses while watching TV.

2. For the best effect a movie had to be conceived and filmed with 3D in mind (think Gravity or Avatar), too many films had mediocre 3D versions just as an excuse to sell more expensive tickets. On the other hand HDR can improve any film, and shouldn't require special cameras to film it. At the end of the day HDR is about creating an image that's closer to real life in terms of dynamic range and detail.

3. HDR won't have the propensity to cause headaches, eye strain, loss of resolution, flicker, crosstalk, or the other issues inherent with 3D.

4. The big studios are going to push HDR as a reason to buy movies you already own again on yet another new format (UHD Blu-Ray). WB has already said that they're going to release everything they can on UHD Blu-Ray in HDR.

5. It just looks better. HDR isn't anything gimmicky, it's about better dynamic range, increased bright and shadow details, and a more lifelike image. It's the luminance equivalent of moving from VHS to DVD or SD to HD. People will want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page