Unusual Use/Multiple Purchases/Advice Appreciated - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread Today, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unusual Use/Multiple Purchases/Advice Appreciated

Hello! I found my way here from Scott Wilkinson's appearances on Leo's Tech Guy Podcasts.

I own a small production company in a small area and we are about to pull off a coup. We have been asked to take over the AV needs for a very big annual event in the region. We have most of it covered however we are weak in the flat panel area of the bid. We are required to provide 2-42" (or larger) and 2-60" (or larger) flat panels. These monitors will be used in outdoor tents approximately 20'x40'. There will be walls so the panels will be shaded at all times. We may have an event coming in December we'll need 70s too (a pair at least). That event will be in a great hall with 26' ceilings utilizing hanging truss. Keep that in mind because we might just buy 70s for both accounts.

Anyway, for this Summer's bid, one set will be running browsers showing software for an online auction while the others will be showing a loop motion video of the event's sponsors. So, everything will be graphic related.

It seems it's a buyers market for HD Monitors right now. I love what I saw with 4Ks however I don't see the benefit in buying 4K monitors for my purposes (especially because all our switching equipment is in HD and I won't be upgrading any time soon). We did consider buying like brands and making one unit 4K for our own personal use in our low budget video studio, after the event, but only if we could find Bezels that match. That would then let them look very much identical when being hung on trussing 15 feeet above a crowd (the potential December client).

So this is what's important to me.

Price - If I go high end home theatre monitors I won't be able to recover my costs within the next two years, nor do I think the viewers will care. I've know my competitors rates and I'm assuming they bought their monitors when they were much more expensive. In fact, nobody around here carries anything larger than a 55" for this type of rental due to nobody wanting to pay for them aside from this client.

Reliability - I'm looking at the budget gear mostly. Cosco offers a two year warranty, stock, which is nice. They also carry Samsung, LG, and Vizio. I am familiar with all three brand names. We will be buying commercial transport cases if they go out anymore than once/twice a year however I want to be sure they will still be working in 3 years if we handle them with care.

Brightness - We want them to be seen from across the room obviously

USB - Rather than run SDI cables and converters all over it would seem we can run our tablets for the monitors showing the browsers and run the loop videos from a USB stick on the back of the other monitors. I like to work in H.264/MOV. Samsung seems to run several "wrappers" for this purpose and they offer a looping feature in the menu which is wonderful. Of course I could always just load up the same program over and over in a folder of a USB if it was big enough. In regards to the USB I am told between LG and Vizio one of them will do this and one will not. Can somebody tell me more? The brand that does allegedly only does MP4? Sorry, even the tech help was...well...helpless on this one.

So I'm looking for advice. Specific model suggestions are fine however I'm more interested in an expert reading this and perhaps catching something I missed or mentioned something that will help me when I head to the store (stores).

Reagrds,

Jes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread Today, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I would be wanting TVs with decent off angle viewing. In those environments it seems like the contrast ratio would be less important than off-angle viewing. For this reason I would be looking pretty hard at LG IPS TVs in your position.
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
I would be wanting TVs with decent off angle viewing. In those environments it seems like the contrast ratio would be less important than off-angle viewing. For this reason I would be looking pretty hard at LG IPS TVs in your position.
Of Course! Duh....Thanks! Perfect reason for this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page