AVS Forum banner

samsung js8500 or sony x850c?

13K views 83 replies 43 participants last post by  kophinos 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a tv 46 - 55 inches, 4k is affordable enough, 120hz, quantum dots is nice. The price ceiling is at around $1500.
I currently have a 7 year old samsung 46 inch, 120hz.

I really liked the samsung js 8500 at 48 inches for $1500 or to get a little more size the 55inch sony x850c was nice for $1600.
What do you guys think?

How is the sony with brightness? I know the samsungs are very nice and bright but its hard to tell how a tv is, since you cant run the same video on different brands of tvs.

The js8500 with the nano crystal is far better the ju7100.

#3 ·
I like the JS8500 a bit better than the X850C with HDR support, local dimming and full speed HDMI 2.0 ports. 7" is a lot to give up though. The X850C gets about as bright as you are likely to need on a non-HDR TV. Almost everyone turns the backlight down in a home use environment.

How far away are you going to be and what type of content do you typically watch?

#6 ·
The X850C is limited to ~10GBps. Honestly, it won't matter much unless you want to hook your PC up at 4K resolution and need 4:4:4@60Hz. Just a note.

If you were choosing between the 55JS8500 and 55X850C I would recommend the JS8500. But the decision is a lot tougher comparing the 48" to the 55".

#8 ·
Gimped HDMI 2.0 ports, and not being able to hook up a PC at 4K resolution with 4:4:4@60Hz is kinda crappy. My video card in my gaming laptop is capable of outputting 4k although its highly unlikely I would be gaming at 4k on this laptop. Down the road though I would like to have the option. The PC is my gaming platform and I do occasionally hook it up to the tv.

#21 ·
7" inches is huge at these screen sizes. You are talking about 30% more area. To a large extent this is personal preference. I personally think 55 at 6' is a hair bigger than I want but a 48 at 8' is a bit smaller.

Personally I think size comes first and then the rest as far as driving the experience for sets that are relatively close in specs (i.e. don't compare a 500 dollar tv to a 2k one).

#12 ·
The JS8500 is the better TV than the Sony X850C. The Sony doesn’t have local dimming and the JS8500 beats it in almost every single category for picture quality aspects.
If you want a bigger 4K TV for the same money then I would choose the 65” Vizio M65-C1 for $1500 over the 55” Sony X850C.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...t=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

The JS8500 displays about 13% more of the upcoming REC.2020 color specification than the JU7100 does. However, that is only applicable to the HDR content which isn't widely available yet.

#13 ·
Curious why do review sites like rtings say that the ju7100 has similar picture quality to the x850c?
The x850c has quantum dots and the colors are strong the ju7100 looks more washed out in comparison even though I really like samsung screens.

cant post the link since my post count isnt high enough but heres the quote
"
Stuck between the 55" Models of the Sony X850C and Samsung JU7100 for my Man Cave. It will be used for watching sports, movies, and playing Xbox One. Which TV should I get? Also, does it make more sense to wait a little while for the HDR TVs to drop in price? Thanks in advance!

You should get the Samsung UN55JU7100. Both it and the Sony X850C have similar picture quality, but the JU7100 has lower input lag, which you want for gaming.
As for HDR, there's not much point in waiting. There's still no standard for what HDR is (meaning different TVs labeled as being HDR may not actually be HDR once all is said and done), and HDR content is still extremely limited. You might as well get yourself a TV you like now."

of course colors are not everything when it comes to overall display quality.

#14 · (Edited)
The guy at that site really likes Samsung sets and I quite frankly don't trust anything he says.

He can have something like a Vizio better a Samsung in every single important category and then say the Samsung is better. Huh?

He also seems to always get far better black level measurements than everyone else. Based on his "review", every single LCD seems to have a native black of under 0.04 cd/m2 which simply is NOT the case. The JS9500 review is a good example of this as I have not seen a number close to 0.035. Every review seems to have it above 0.05.

#18 ·
It's common to compare the X850C and JS8500, but the reality is that they aren't the same class of TV. The JS8500 is a fair bit more expensive, though Samsung has aggressively priced it's so it's CLOSE, but still it's a big enough difference to be a factor.

That said, for the same exact price and same exact size (if you can find such prices) I think it's a pretty tough decision. The JS8500 supports HDR which is probably the deciding factor, IMO. Sony supports Android TV which is currently in an early phase but most likely will be the best Smart TV platform, by a long shot, by the end of the year -- because it's a general platform being used across many vendors and devices. That said, Samsung is doing a good job with Tizen but it's a proprietary OS that only their TVs use. For the identical price, I'd lean toward the JS8500 "on paper", but would take the time to go look at them yourself. I did and ended up choosing the X850C but, full disclosure, the JS8500 was $3,500 at the time and I got my X850C in the same size (65") for $2,300.

For the prices they are at, I think the X850C is an incredible value for the money. You basically get all of the high-end image processing that Sony is famous for at a bargain price, you just sacrifice local dimming. You get the X1 chip, the triluminous display, motionflow 960, et al. What you don't get is HDR, which is about the only meaningful thing it lacks IMO. People try to make a big deal about 4:4:4 chroma @ 4k 60hz, but frankly it doesn't matter unless you are using the TV as a photoshop monitor or something. For gaming or HTPC use, 4:4:4 isn't needed at all, which is what most people would use a PC for on a TV like this. I don't think that should be a deciding factor between the TVs.

All in all, you gotta look at the TVs and decide what you like.

#19 ·
Thanks guys.
With the galaxy s6 phone deal, I'm eyeing the js8500 either 48inch or 55inch. I'm due for an upgrade in just over a month. With the phone deal it doesn't make much sense for me to get the sony x850c 55 inch for $1600.
Doing the math:
js8500 48inch @$1500
55inch @$2000
+ s6 is atleast a $200 value assuming I don't sell it for more.

so thats 1300 or 1800 total

x850c 55inch @$1600

I am due for an upgrade in just over a month so thats like +$200 bringing total expenses to $1800 matching the price of the js8500 55 inch with the phone deal, and everyone agrees the js8500 is better. So when its all said and after total expenses you break even but get a better tv.

#24 ·
Starting this up again

I'm in the same boat and trying to choose between the JS8500 or x850c - both the 55" model. I'm curious if anyone's thoughts have changed now that Sony announced the x850c will support HDR via a firmware update.
I don't know enough about TV tech to know if the lower GBps on the Sony can be updated via firmware, but my guess is "no" as that seems like a hardware issue.
Anyway, just curious if people here would still point toward the JS8500 over the Sony. I saw the JS8500 at Best Buy last night and it looks really nice, so pretty sure I'd be happy with it. This will be my first new TV in almost 8 years (have a Sony KDL-40V2500), so pretty much anything at this point will be an upgrade. :)

#25 ·
I'm in the same boat and trying to choose between the JS8500 or x850c - both the 55" model. I'm curious if anyone's thoughts have changed now that Sony announced the x850c will support HDR via a firmware update.
I don't know enough about TV tech to know if the lower GBps on the Sony can be updated via firmware, but my guess is "no" as that seems like a hardware issue.
Anyway, just curious if people here would still point toward the JS8500 over the Sony. I saw the JS8500 at Best Buy last night and it looks really nice, so pretty sure I'd be happy with it. This will be my first new TV in almost 8 years (have a Sony KDL-40V2500), so pretty much anything at this point will be an upgrade. :)
The 850C has HDMI 2.0 Hdcp 2.2 so it can be updated to HDMI 2.0a it has 18 gps chip. The 850C is not better than the JS8500 though as the 850C has no local dimming @ all which will make hdr not accurate or as good on this set as JS8500. The js8500 also had quantum dots so it will have much better colours than the 850C no brainer grab JS8500.

Reactions: TheCrow1994
#28 ·
there is always gonna be a better tv for just a little bit more money . for the prices 850c at 1299 what i got it for and the 8500 1799 cheapest i seen. yea the 8500 might be a better tv but for 500 more dollars i would hope so . the features that the 850c has is only comparable to the 8500 and imo the sony is the better buy .

#29 ·
Hi all. Full disclosure, I'm a new member to the forums and this is my first post. So I'm looking at:

Samsung UN65JS8500 ($2,000)
Sony XBR65X850C ($1,800).

And though this thread only deals with the above models, I've been seriously looking at:

Vizio M70-C3 ($1,650).

I know comparing different sizes is kind of counter-productive but with Black Friday coming up, I couldn't ignore the price drop on the M70.

So I would be sitting about 9-11 feet from the screen. In order of priority, I'd be using the TV for:

1. Netflix & HBO GO (movies, series, etc)
2. Gaming on an Xbox One or PS4 (close second to #1, if not a tie)
3. Sports
4. News

I don't have a TV as of now so this TV would serve all these purposes and any others that would pop up.

Presently, I'm leaving towards the Samsung but my main concern is that it's edge-lit, which means a poorer viewing angle. Even the relatively cheap Vizio is back-lit. On the other hand the Vizio has some hardware limitations with lack of VP9 deciding, though I'm not sure how big of a deal that is.

Any suggestions or guidance in this decision would be much-appreciated.

#31 ·
I have recently gone through the purchase, and subsequent returns of several TV sets. This included 55 and 65 inch versions of the 850C, and the 55" 8500. In the end, I have settled in on an OLED instead but that's another story.

I don't have a lot ot time now, but if I were picking between the 850c and 8500 I would stick with the Sony. I liked the Android system where some do not. But the big factor for me would simply be the color reproduction of the Sony. I think the Sony does a great job in this area and also upscales nicely. The Sony has a more film-like look, where IMHO the Samsung had a more digital look if that makes sense.

#32 · (Edited)
I have recently gone through the purchase, and subsequent returns of several TV sets. This included 55 and 65 inch versions of the 850C, and the 55" 8500. In the end, I have settled in on an OLED instead but that's another story.

I don't have a lot of time now, but if I were picking between the 850c and 8500 I would stick with the Sony. I liked the Android system where some do not. But the big factor for me would simply be the color reproduction of the Sony. I think the Sony does a great job in this area and also upscales nicely. The Sony has a more film-like look, where IMHO the Samsung had a more digital look if that makes sense.
I'm looking to buy a Sony 55X810C ,55X850C or maybe one of the Samsung 55JU7100 or maybe even the 55JS8500 since they are on sale now definitely in a week or two whatever I buy

Setting aside HDR and WCG I'm actually thinking of the Sony 55X810C it has stonking contrast like 5100: 1 and a rear lit VA panel presumably without the edge light drama of the 55X850C or any edge lit set .

I've seen the all these except the JU 7100 at B.B and I couldn't get a fair assessment of the Sony 55X810 C it was way up high on a wall and the Samsung's were playing way over saturated demo loops while the sets looked vivid and all that's nothing I'm going to be watching at home outside of spinning some demo loops I have already outta the PC .

I thought the Sony Demo loops were more natural looking although the Samsung's are compelling sets and probably sell well playing their demo loops .

I have a 2013 1080p Sony LCD and 1080p Samsung plasma both are decent .
The 55"will replace a 40" Sony in my TV /PC cave space.

Outside of a plasma or LG OLED IMO it's hard to beat that Sony color although the new Samsung's are looking pretty decent .

I saw this interesting Q and A thing at rtings .com about the X810C :

Sony 55X810C vs Samsung 55Ju7100 vs 55Ju6500 for color , movie & TV picture quality ? Clearly, the Sony X810C has superior contrast but how does it all wash out in the end ?

Reply :

They are all good TVs really, but the x810c is the better one. Not only it has one of the best contrast we measured for a LED TV, it also has one of the better gray uniformity. As far as color, they are about equals but colors seems to pop more on sets that have better contrast, like the x810c. If you are hesitating between those three, get the Sony.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x810c

#35 ·
I am also trying to decide between the Samsung or the Sony, but in either the 65" or 75" models. If I decide to get the 65" I am leaning toward the Samsung even though all I have ever bought for the last 10+ years have been Sony's. But being Samsung does not have the 75" model in the 8500 series the Sony will win that battle.

#38 ·
I, like many of you in this thread is greatly struggling with choosing between the x850c and the JS8500 65 inch.

Could any of you more knowledgeable folks help me out?

I'm buying this TV mostly for video games, sports, and movies. I had considered the x930c, but decided since the HDR formats were not officially settled, and the speakers were big, to just buy a nice TV that is a little future proof, but wont feel guilty upgrading in a few years for something else if I want to.

First off. Does either set have significant light bleed? The 8500 is edge lit whereas the x850c is backlit (but not Full Area...Im pretty sure). Now that both sets support some sort of HDR, will that picture be the same?

Id much rather go for an accurate picture than one that looks digital.

I can get both TV's at the same price, so that is not a consideration.

Help! This is driving me crazy that I cant decide on set.

#43 ·
I think if both tv's were the same price the majority of people would sway towards the JS8500 because it does have a brighter panel, better hdmi inputs, a 10 bit panel and gets brighter which I'm sure will help HDR.

They are both fairly equal with gaming and as a pc monitor. The upscaling is about equal also. I think if you chose either of these tv's you win. If you can get one for a significant savings over the other then that might sway you as well. I am also facing a decision much the same. At least we can know that either TV will be a solid choice. From what I've learned around these forums, you can get a lemon with any model. Also, no matter what LCD we get there are compromises (viewing angle, uniformity etc). These are both great tv's so I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you take home.

#42 ·
The one connect box makes the 9000/9500 future proof, to a degree. Neither will have the nit output for a true dolby vision experience though the JS9500 might be close and it is the only full array of the three. However, I am hearing the JS8500 with it's one connect mini will be a dead end as the processor is still in the TV. If your looking for a set to keep for 3-5 years, I'd suggest going cheaper now or holding what you have and waiting for CES in January.

#45 ·
Well, right now with the TV priced at only 2000, I wouldn't have any trouble forking over some cash in 5 years for the "Dolby" HDR if that is even what the format becomes and not feel too guilty about it. There is always the "next thing" right around the corner...but you are for sure correct.

#44 ·
I'm not a huge videophile, and i guess i'm a semi-tech geek.... i have spent 40+ years in the CE industry. That said, I have seen the reliability of Samsung rise and fall over the years. Due to that, I just purchased the 55X850C and I'm quite happy with it. It replaced my FIVE YEAR OLD Samsung 50" Plasma that had the upper y-axis board crap out. The TV was over $2k when new and after 5 years the board goes...not a good sign.I think that an electronic part should last more than 5 years.
I use the display panel to watch TV and movies...no gaming. It seems to be just fine for both my needs.

I spoke with many of my accounts who actually physically DO service and they all pointed me to the Sony (with the LG? panel) for reliability. For the money, it's a hell of a TV. If you're doing comparably-priced sets, Sony wins.There's my 2 cents do with it what you will but I feel that Sony is back. With a little help from their friends.

#47 ·
I'm not a huge videophile, and i guess i'm a semi-tech geek.... i have spent 40+ years in the CE industry. That said, I have seen the reliability of Samsung rise and fall over the years. Due to that, I just purchased the 55X850C and I'm quite happy with it. It replaced my FIVE YEAR OLD Samsung 50" Plasma that had the upper y-axis board crap out. The TV was over $2k when new and after 5 years the board goes...not a good sign.I think that an electronic part should last more than 5 years.
I use the display panel to watch TV and movies...no gaming. It seems to be just fine for both my needs.

I spoke with many of my accounts who actually physically DO service and they all pointed me to the Sony (with the LG? panel) for reliability. For the money, it's a hell of a TV. If you're doing comparably-priced sets, Sony wins.There's my 2 cents do with it what you will but I feel that Sony is back. With a little help from their friends.
HAHAHA, further complicating the decision. In three posts we got
(1) Probably Samsung
(2) Probably Sony
(3) Wait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.