Struggling to decide if time to upgrade 7 year old LCD's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old Today, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Struggling to decide if time to upgrade 7 year old LCD's

I have two Sharp 52 TV's from around 7 years ago and have been thinking about replacing them for the past year or so. At this time there is nothing yet wrong with the TV's, but even though a lot of time tweaking settings using this forum dark movies and tv shows (i.e. game of thrones), are extremely tough to watch without bleaching out the color. In one room I play a lot of video games, but do not watch that much TV, the other room is exclusively TV and Movies for the family.

I have been contemplating getting a 4k TV, but the prices are not as favorable as I like, and would love to have active 3D(even though I know there isn't a ton for it). The size I am shooting for is 65 inches, but not looking to go any higher.

Before I drop 4-5k on TV's I want to make sure that A) It will be a noticeable difference for my viewing and B) That based on current technology trends that I shouldn't just wait till end of year, 2016. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889101138

1. Budget - 1000-2000
2. Seating Distance 8-10 feet
3. Lighting - both rooms get sun, but blinds usually contain the lgiht
4. Need around 5 HDMI inputs, but can buy a splitter if needed.
5. Will be set on top of a TV cabinet

Been eying Samsung at the moment,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Well, I would wait because I am not sure there is a 65" 4K/UHD 3D TV for under $2k that it worth having at the moment.

LF 65UF7700 is the only TV I can think of off the top of my head that even meets the criteria.

You will most likely need an HDMI switch to get to five inputs.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A couple issues

1) HDMI. A lot of TVS do not have a full complement of high speed HDMI. Some just have one high speed (and more that aren't). If you were using an AVR one would be enough of course

2) There really only one or two TVS to choose from. While I think they are good TVs IMHO they are compromises compared to a 2000 buck TV from one or two years ago.
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I took 3D off the table what would that landscape look like for TVs? I have also debated not getting 4k at all, but since I keep the TVs for so long been leaning towards making it future proof for a bit.
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodzAT View Post
If I took 3D off the table what would that landscape look like for TVs? I have also debated not getting 4k at all, but since I keep the TVs for so long been leaning towards making it future proof for a bit.
Then I would tell you look at the Vizio M65-C3.

That being said, if you want a TV with 3D you should get one. If you are not time pressured I would wait for something like the Samsung 65JU7100 or the Sony 65X850C to drop into your price range. I wouldn't compromise on key features if you think you will regret it later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays