AVS Forum banner

Is 60" TV size not popular anymore?

23K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  HotAhr 
#1 ·
I was looking for a new 4k TV recently and I noticed a trend towards having 55" and 65" sizes only. Only a few manufacturers have 60" and those are usually not the high end models. We currently have a 52" LCD and 60" would have been a logical upgrade. Unfortunately for our place 65" is just too large.

Should I just forget about searching for a 60" model and focus on 55" ones or do you think more 60" models will show up over time?

#2 ·
60" screens are definitely in the minority right now. I recently bought a 60" 4K screen, to replace a 55" that was mounted on the wall, above a fireplace. I didn't want to have to re-position the mount (which was designed for a fixed 400x400 VESA mounting), and so I was concerned about 65" sets being a bit too big, and not clearing the top of the fireplace mantle. But in reality I could have fit most 65" sets in the same space. One thing that I wasn't fully considering was that my 60" set has a very minimal bezel, basically a 1/2 inch on top and sides, and less than an inch on the bottom. Whereas my 2011 55" had more like an inch and a half on all sides. So the outside dimensions of the 60" set are hardly bigger than the older 55".

On the other hand, a 65" set would have cost more, and I got a super-good deal on the 60", so I'm still happy about having chosen the 60"....

#3 ·
My understanding is that on most of the current production lines 65" is a better size than 60" for minimizing wasted material. Now there are still old production lines running but you shouldn't expect them to have all the latest and greatest stuff. So I wouldn't wait for the 60"er of your dreams.

#4 ·
I could be totally making this up, but I feel like I remember reading that IPS panels are usually made in 50, 60, 70" sizes while VA panels are typically 55, 65, 75. There has been a big migration away from IPS displays this year. The only models I'm aware that use IPS panels are the low, low end Sony's like the X830C, which only comes in 43 and 49" I believe.

#6 ·
My TV is mounted already, we are sitting about 11 feet away. The move from current 52 to 60" will not actually change the total size of the TV since our current 52 has a very thich bezel. But 65 is wider which will cause some issues.

The one 60" I found is JS7000 from Samsung which doesn't seem to be a bad choice really given the price but I read mentions of JS72000 with a better panel although it doesn't look like it will come to US anytime soon.

#9 ·
I actually posted , some time ago, the specs for the Samsung JS7000, and I was not that pleased with them, butttttt

Look at the reviews on Best Buy for the JS7000's, the 50" which gets 5 stars, (4 customer reviews), the 55" gets 4.9 (8 customer reviews), and the 60" gets 4.7 (3 reviews) of the 3 reviews, two were 5 star and one was a 4 star.

Are these folks blind that bought this TV, or have we been "overprogrammed" here to look for black and high contrast, while ignoring brightness, screen clarity, viewing angle, color accuracy along with "pop", (for those that like that sort of thing).

Anyway, it has aroused my curiosity enough that I gotta go see one in person.
I'm still hoping the JS7200 makes it to the US, but as I mentioned in other posts, I've no complaints about the picture on my 9 year old, 52" Sharp Aquos, so "maybe" I'm overthinking this thing about needing HDR, blacks close to "0", 7000 to 1 contrast ratio, ~~~~~~etc etc.:confused:

I would like to see an owners thread started for the JS7000.;)

Gary

#10 ·
The people on this board don't represent the general buying public. The JS7000 might not have best image out there but it is going to crush you 9 year old Sharp. And that is what most of the people reviewing are comparing the TV to. If you take the board standards to other things in life, you wouldn't think of buying anything less than a Lexus LS, eat a steak anywhere other than mortons, and fly anything but first class. Those are all clearly superior experiences. But most people are very happy driving the accord, eating at outback, and flying coach +

#12 ·
The Samsung JU7100 is IMO a very good 4K TV. I had one in house prior to going with the JS9000. And if I had to do it again, it wouldn't have made it out the door and back to the store. I really wish I had kept it and put it in the other room. It is accurate in picture rendition and handles 4K content quite well. As a matter of fact, it comes in both 65" and 60". Check it out at the Samsung.com site. Great TV IMO.

#13 ·
Thanks for the posts.
I've considered the JS9000, but it does not come in a 60", I can't fit a 65" into my entertainment center as I have a max width of 54 inches.

Since you have both TV's, hot air, (The 7100 and the 9000), would you "personally" give up 5 inches, to get the 9000 over the 7100?

I'm not sure Quantum dots, HDR, WGC, quick connect are worth giving up 5"s as a 55" will only have "about" a 1 inch wider screen than my 52", whilst a 60" will fill the cavity perfectly in my entertainment center. Also we sit everywhere in the family room, and none of the seating is close, (My guess avg distance about 12 feet).

We even watch it from the kitchen, so a larger screen sure would be nicer!

Gary

#15 · (Edited)
I was faced with that choice. To make a long story short. I chose the 60" and did not go for the tv that had the Quantum dots at the time. I'll spare you the details of everything else that happened. I'll suffice it to say, I was very happy with the JU7100 60". And Like I said, I wish I had kept it. Once you get it, if you so decide to go this route, I "think" you will see what I mean. I didn't look back longing for the 55" with the dots etc. And the only reason I upgraded to the 65" JS9000 was because $1000 extra dollars were dropped in my lap. I really enjoyed the JU7100 at 60".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.