Bias lighting question. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 10 Old Today, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bias lighting question.

I plan on getting the Antec bias lighting kit, which is basically a LED strip with double sided tape on it that your suppose to put on the back of your TV, and is USB powered(very cool). Do you think it would be OK to put it on the wall facing the TV? The back of my TV is maybe an inch away from the wall. My set is wall mounted so the difference would only be that it would be facing the back of the TV instead of the wall. I think the ambient light effect would be the same. I just don't want to stick anything to my TV, plus the back of my TV is kind of had an uneven texture so it wouldn't stick very well anyway. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Today, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Yes, it will be fine if you place it on the wall behind the tv.

I'd recommend using some tape first to temporarily put it up and see where you may want it.

I have the strip and it is pretty nice. I don't use it though because the LED light is a bit too cool/blue for me. Too bad since I like everything else about it.

Last edited by rlindo; Today at 05:32 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The light is reflected off the wall when it's mounted to the TV.
If you mount it to the wall, the black plastic of the TV will absorb it.
post #4 of 10 Old Today, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfull View Post
The light is reflected off the wall when it's mounted to the TV.
If you mount it to the wall, the black plastic of the TV will absorb it.
Interestingly enough, the backs of TVs aren't made of light absorbing velvet so there is still reflection. Plus, the LEDs aren't housed in some directional cone so the light is sprayed out in a 360 direction.

I have a ccfl daylight bulb pointed towards the middle of the back of my TV and wouldn't you know, it actually creates light behind the screen! This is even with blackout curtains right behind it.

To the OP,

The effect will indeed be lessened especially with you only having an inch of space but it still works. The good thing is as I stated above, if you get it then you can just first put it up with tape on the wall and see what you think.

I JUST tested this by attaching it with tape to the wall behind a TV and it was fine.

Last edited by rlindo; Today at 05:49 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old Today, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I figured it would be OK as long as the light is behind the TV, you should still get the same effect to a varying degree.
post #6 of 10 Old Today, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Just make sure you test out whatever configuration you decide to use before you "permanently" affix it. I use the same bias lighting kit and have it affixed to the back of my wall-mounted TV (I have a 70" and used two strips).

post #7 of 10 Old Today, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Just make sure you test out whatever configuration you decide to use before you "permanently" affix it. I use the same bias lighting kit and have it affixed to the back of my wall-mounted TV (I have a 70" and used two strips).

Yeah I was thinking of putting masking tape on the wall then mounting the light to that so its not permanent.
post #8 of 10 Old Today, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by integ3 View Post
Thanks for the responses! I figured it would be OK as long as the light is behind the TV, you should still get the same effect to a varying degree.
You should just try it first but I personally wouldn't, if you put it on the wall, the lights will be facing the tv thus not giving it the proper effect. When put on the back of the tv it faces the wall which illuminates the wall nicely giving it the proper effect. Less strain in the eyes etc, your choice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	912658

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 415
FWIW, my tv is on a console the setting up bias lighting is a bit easier that wall mounting. I use a LED bulb behind the tv and is angle to shine up the wall and not off of the back of the tv. The base of the tv stand is a little thicker than more recent stands so the bulb and it's fixture is neatly hidden behind it so you can't see it. The wall behind the tv is a neutral color so the LED bulb temp, which is about 3000k doesn't add any color to the wall and with the off-white color of the wall the effect is very even lighting all around and behind the tv up to the 12' ceiling. The light is controlled by a light switch on the opposite wall. It's the only light we have in the family room when watching tv but it's enough light to walk around without stumbling into the coffee table and just enough bias light as to produce the desired effect.
post #10 of 10 Unread Today, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I use the strip with my 65" X850C. I love it. I have it plugged into a USB port on the TV, but unfortunately the USB ports stay powered on this TV even when it goes off so I have to turn the light on/off manually anyway. No big deal, there's an easy switch on the side.

I have a dark, forest green wall behind the TV and the light looks great. I had to cut 1 LED off of the strip in order to make it fit evenly all the way across the back of the TV. It works extremely well, though it would probably be even nicer with 2 for a TV of this size. It's a subtle, but noticeable, effect. My wife even asks to put it on when we watch movies, she even uttered the phrase to guests that asked about it "it makes the picture look even better" -- without my coaxing! Wife tested, wife approved. What more of an endorsement do you need? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays