AVS Forum banner

Need Passive 3d 4k TV

641 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Stoofpilot 
#1 ·
Hello I am looking for some assistance in choosing my first tv I am trying to keep my budget around $2000-2500.
I would like the screen size to be 65 inch but am willing to downsize to 55 if there is a better option in that size.
This Tv will be being used as a monitor for a gaming computer so input lag is also a heavy factor.
I cannot compromise on the requirements of a 4k resolution and PASSIVE 3d.
I know that this removes 99% of all tvs but i would also like to have the best possible blacks i can obtain.

My two options I can see right now is the 2015 Lg UF9500 or the 2014 Sony XBR-850B (Not the 850C, the C is active 3d)
basicly from what iv gathered the 9500 will have a better range of colors but the 850B will be better at handling input lag and 120htz processing.
both tvs seem very prone to bleeding light from their edges and have very limited blacks.

Does this sound about right? Anyone have anything to add to this to help me make my choice?

#2 ·
Sounds right.

Input lag on the 2015 LGs is fairly bad.

I am not sure about the UF9500 but the Sony 65X850B cannot support 4K 4:4:4@60Hz if that is important. While not an issue for many people I though it worthy of discussion since you are planning to connect a PC.

There are not a lot of passive 3D options in your price range, or at all really.

#4 ·
#5 ·
okay so it seems like the biggest difference between the lg and the sony is that the lg will give better picture quality but the sony will respond better to gaming.
do you/anyone know what the subsampling rate of the Sony 850B is id be interested to know that.

The 900C looks like the 850B only curved, thinner, and $1000 more right? I couldnt even look into this tv without seeing massive complains on the light bleeding.

#6 ·
okay so it seems like the biggest difference between the lg and the sony is that the lg will give better picture quality but the sony will respond better to gaming.
do you/anyone know what the subsampling rate of the Sony 850B is id be interested to know that.
Keep in mind, the LG may have the same issue, I am not sure.

I haven't tested the X850B specifically(although I suppose I could since I own one), but I would expect it to be the same as all the other 10.2 Gbps chips.
4:4:4@60 1080p
4:2:0@60 4K/UHD
4:4:4@30 4K/UHD

The 900C looks like the 850B only curved, thinner, and $1000 more right?
Ehh...not really. It is also not curved. Probably more than $1000 more unless you are getting a great price on it or a bad price on the X850B.

It adds over the X850B
- VP9 decoding support
- Android TV
- Full bandwidth HDMI support(including support for 4K 4:4:4@60)
- It is silly thin and has a mounting bracket that lets you mount it flush with the wall
- HDR support
- X1 processor

I couldn't even look into this TV without seeing massive complains on the light bleeding.
Yeah, supposedly that was fixed in later production runs but I would not guarantee it.

#7 ·
Don't always believe these "experts" that bad mouth the LG UF9500. Most of them have never seen it and blame much on the IPS panel. I have had the 9500 for three weeks and with a decent setting, the picture is outstanding. I have not seen problems with black levels or edge bleeding. I came from a Pioneer Elite. I do not watch it in a "dark room". For$2995.00, this is an excellent TV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.