AVS Forum banner

Hisense 55H9B2 55" Curved 4K Full-Array LED Backlight w/ 85 Zones under 1K

70K views 1K replies 78 participants last post by  Bud-man 
#1 ·
This set is now showing up on amazon. The series below it, the H7s are also showing at 65" and get's really good reviews. Specs for this set are:

ULED 4K 85-Zone Local Dimming: The Local Dimming technology provides deeper blacks of images because the brightness of the backlights are more uniformed.
Ultra Smooth Motion (SMR) feature: Enjoy watching fast-moving sports competitions or movie scenes. SMR technology minimizes motion blur and jitters to give you the best viewing experience possible.
Optimized picture and sound modes: This TV comes with multiple picture modes and sound modes that you can adjust to suit your preference.

Two inputs are HDMI version 2.0 with HDCP version 2.2 supporting 4K content up to a full 60 frames per second. The other two inputs are HDMI version 1.4a with HDCP version 2.0 supporting 4K content up to 30 frames per second.

3 USB ports: This TV has three USB ports (one version 3.1 and two version 2.0)

This TV hosts Total Technology from dbx-tv which brings extraordinary audio to the built-in speakers with Total Sonics, Total Volume, and Total Surround. These features enhance the bass, volume and sound.

Hisense Qview, Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, Amazon, Vudu, Facebook and many others) that are already installed for you to enjoy.
Netflix Recommended TV designation: This includes suspending and resuming operation of the TV, always connected to the Internet (2x2 Dual-Band Wi-Fi) and one-touch hot keys that turn on the TV and launch select on-demand services.

See less See more
#5 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hisense USA website specifications for the 55H9B2 clearly and proudly mention the use of FALD with 85 dimming zones as well as quantum-dot technology, conveniently labeled by the company as "ULED".

#9 · (Edited)
^^^^^
On paper better than the m55 also more future proof if firmware upgraded to HDR and HDMI2.0a same as the 65h10b. Waiting for some big site review.

I'm looking for very long time for 55" TV/monitor with FALD.

One of the Amazon customer review points out no 4K@Hz 4:4:4 chroma and no 1080p 120Hz so that's not the best choice as PC monitor and PC gaming

#11 ·
I'm surprised nobody is talking about this TV right now, it seems like an incredible value

It's currently $749 on Amazon... and everyone who's reviewed it on Amazon has liked it. I'd love to see some pro reviews though.
I am very interested in this set. I too would like to see some more up to date info on it, including a review. I'm searching for that now.

#17 ·
I have a Hisense 1080p 50" tv already, and that's what this would replace. I just want to know what I'm losing with this unit at the price point vs a $1300 55" UHD 4k tv.

How much quality for the viewing am I losing with going with a budget unit?

#19 ·
Looks like a great deal, dont need another TV though, although if i hit the lottery It would be the first thing i would buy. ;)
Hit the lottery and the 1st thing you buy would be a $750 tv :eek:

#26 ·
I would hold off. There was always a question of whether they were true FALD or not and the new C models with HDR should be coming soon. Although, those are definitely edge-let except for the H10C. If you need something now, the 2016 Vizio M is true FALD and has a similar price.

#27 · (Edited)
Interesting note: This weekend (Memorial Day weekend) in Charlotte, NC they're having the "Hinsese 4K 300" stock car race. Maybe the sponsor tent will be showing off what they have in store for 2016. I'm now seeing a report on Hisense releasing the H8 through H5 series of TVs. So I guess pulled from Amazon to wait for the 2016s to come in.

Article: http://hometheaterreview.com/hisense-is-now-shipping-its-flagship-h8-uhd-tv/

#28 ·
So there has been no activity in this thread for a long time and I just wanted to give an update in regards to firmware updates. I contacted Hisense support on twice over the last week, First I was told the firmware would be completed on Sept 30th enabling HDR on this TV. When I contacted them again I was told it would go out OTA in the week following so by October 7th. Initially with the TV I also had an issue with HDCP 2.2 compliance, this issue was fixed with firmware that was sent out via USB stick upon request - ending in F1228. I still have this firmware on USB if anyone is still dealing with this issue and needs it. I was a bit concerned the TV would not be getting HDR based on a response I read on Amazon from Hisense Support saying this TV would not receive the update. I mentioned with with my talks with support and it does not appear to be accurate information as I was told the update is coming in three seperate communications with them twice mentioning this date Sept 30th as the day it would be finished.

If anyone talks with Hisense and is able to get the firmware update early enabling HDR, I would love a copy so please post that information if you are able to get it.

The firmware update for 50H8C has been released, and also works with the 55H8C TV (see thread for on going discussion). While I doubt this firmware would work for this TV, I would very interested in knowing the results if someone is gutsy enough to try. The release date on this firmware is also officially Sept 30th, but a forum member was able to get a link sent early. I was previously told the update would be across the entire product line, so I am very curious if it would enable HDR on this TV but not willing to brick mine :).

#30 ·
Oh where oh where has that update gone?

So after talking with support further I have learned that the update will be sent out OTA on October 14th.
Well, October 14th has come and gone and still no OTA update for the 55H9B2. My software version remains V00.01.00a.F1211 and the onscreen information states that no updates are currently available.

Have you heard anything further, EyesHigh?

FYI: "willintheusa" over on the avforum has said that he has obtained a beta HDR update from tech support. [Yes, that's a European forum, but (as his user name implies) he is a Yank and has clearly indicated that he has the U.S. 55H9B2 model.] I just messaged him requesting information on how to get it.

Thanks!

Don

#33 ·
Recent chat with support

Discussion today...

12:48 PM Basil: Hello, Guest. Can I help you with anything today?
12:50 PM Guest: Hi so I have been responding to a few reviewers on amazon for a TV I own 55H9B2. They are complaining they cant get their 4K blu ray players to work. I think the issue is they have not received the firmware enabling hdcp 2.2 compliance.
12:51 PM Guest: what is the latest firmware for this TV, also s there an update on the HDRfirmware update release date
12:51 PM Guest: I
12:51 PM Guest: currently have firmware ending in F1228
12:51 PM Basil: I apologize for the issue that you are having today. I will be more than happy to assist you.
12:54 PM Basil: The update for HDR has been released ,so going forward the update will begin to roll out across all customers. Some customer will be privileged to get it sooner than others. However once you are connected to the internet you will be prompted for an update soon.
12:55 PM Basil: For your Model that will be some time in November. [no specific date has been announced]
12:57 PM Guest: Is there anyway to get this update sooner via usb thumbdrive or download? I talk with several members on a forum and I have been updating them on progress. There is alot of interest in this update - many have given up and do not believe it will ever be released for this tv
12:57 PM Basil: The current version ends in F1228
12:58 PM Basil: The update will be available via USB etc once the overall update becomes available.
12:58 PM Guest: Also I am assuming the firmware update for the C models will not work for this TV? I have one of those firmwares already and thanks
1:00 PM Basil: Okay I understand. I will recommend awaiting the release for your model specifically.
1:01 PM Guest: Ok I didnt want to risk bricking it, but a few people with other TVs downloaded them and they worked. Thanks for the updates.
1:02 PM Basil: You are most welcome!
1:02 PM Guest: Ill be back in touch in NOV to see about progress, thanks again
1:03 PM Basil: Thank you for making it Hisense Customer Service.

#37 ·
Great to have you with us on this U.S.-based forum, Will! Although they certainly have a lot of Hisense-related discussion on that similarly-named AVForums on the other side of the pond. I learned a lot there, despite having to guess what aspects of their talk about European model numbers were applicable to the 55H9B2*.

Thanks for your report on the next update ... and for your beta testing efforts! You've given us a lot to look forward to.

* Does anyone know why Amazon no longer sells this model? Did Hisense discontinue it?​

#38 ·
My chat today:

Ranteen : Hello, Guest. Can I help you with anything today?
Guest: yes, i was wondering if I could get the HDR via HDMI update firmware for my TV?
Guest: a number of people have received it from support
Guest: and they are enjoying the HDR that was promised to them
Guest: It has almost been a year, and i still have no HDR!
Ranteen : Unfortunately the HDR update released on Friday, September 30,2016 was only done for a few selected Hisense TV models. For customers who have not received the HDR update; The update your TV is schedule to release November 2016. HDR can currently be accessed via USB port. The update will allow customers to access HDR via HDMI port instead of USB port. Our team is making every effort to make the necessary adjustments. We thank you for your patience.
Guest: i see
Guest: so next month?
Guest: is that confirmed?
Ranteen : yes
Guest: ok great!
Guest: thanks!

#43 · (Edited)
Has anyone used this TV successfully with thos 4k Blu ray player? It connects to it just fine on the HDMI 1.4 port, but on the HDMI 2.0 4k port, all i get is a blank screen. Is there something I need to be doing here?
Thanks
What firmware version are you running? Also this goes without saying but if you are running 4K you need high speed HDMI and if a receiver is involved HDCP 2.2 compliance.

I contacted Hisense back in June to get the latest firmware which fixed the HDCP compliance issue on the TV - your firmware should end in F1228. I also had to remove the monoprice redemere cables i had installed and replace with high speed cables to get 4K working. I run an onkyo receiver in between and have no trouble running an XBox One S in 4K.

I dont believe they ever sent this firmware out OTA , so if you have never contacted them for the firmware fix this may be your issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.