Sony X950b VS JS9500 VS 930C 65" VS (Purchased 950b,but need input) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Sony X950b VS JS9500 VS 930C 65" VS (Purchased 950b,but need input)

Hey everyone,

So I had a chance tonight to get a clearance 65" 950B and went ahead and bought it. It was cheaper than the new JS9500 and 65" LG OLED but not the 930C.

For some reason, in the store, the 950B just looked better than everything else to me and that's how it was last year as well.

I also currently own a 65" JS8500. I just need some thoughts on the 950B since I'm trying it out and might end up returning it for the few above.

I wanted FALD since my JS8500 didn't have it and I really dislike the edge light bleed, but the JS8500 picture quality to me is absolutely stunning.. I hooked up the 950b tonight and it seems very comparable to the JS8500, just without the edge light bleed and clouding that is on my JS8500 (so annoying).

With the whole HDR thing aside, how do you feel the 950B matches up with the TVs above? I threw the 930C in there because it is new and do not really know much other than that it support HDR and is edge lit (I want FALD, but if it is substantially better than the JS8500 and 950b, then I would be open to it).

According to most articles, it doesn't look like you can do a whole lot with the calibration as everyone feels that the TV is setup pretty good out of the box on the 950b, which is the opposite of the JS8500 (I used Cnet's settings on that one and it looks amazing, plus the Disney WOW calibration Disc).

I am not so concerned about the HDR thing as I am having great picture quality for blu-rays. I want the best, but at a reasonable price. The JS9500 is reasonably priced right now at $4500, but the OLED is still $6k, which is crazy, but I would be willing to pay the price if it is going to blow the doors off of everything else.

Opinions please?

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
iStorm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Can no one help me?

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
iStorm is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Can no one help me?
IMO You've pick the right tv, The JS9500 blooming is really bad, Its so bad almost close to clouding, I kid you not..
Spidergames is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm not alone, PCmag even think JS9500 blooming is unusually bad...http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488965,00.asp
Spidergames is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
IMO You've pick the right tv, The JS9500 blooming is really bad, Its so bad almost close to clouding, I kid you not..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
I'm not alone, PCmag even think JS9500 blooming is unusually bad...http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488965,00.asp

I owned the JS9500 and do feel that it did have some blooming issues but nothing terrible. The JS8500 that I currently have has clouding that is MUCH worse than that. That's why I was still considering going with another JS9500. I just don't know too much about Sony's products, but have wanted the 950B for a long time and their new model the 940c doesn't have anything less than 70" which is way too big for me..

So it is really the new OLED's VS my 950b VS JS9500

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
iStorm is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I owned the JS9500 and do feel that it did have some blooming issues but nothing terrible. The JS8500 that I currently have has clouding that is MUCH worse than that. That's why I was still considering going with another JS9500. I just don't know too much about Sony's products, but have wanted the 950B for a long time and their new model the 940c doesn't have anything less than 70" which is way too big for me..

So it is really the new OLED's VS my 950b VS JS9500
you can have my Js9500 then and u could send me your X950b lol.... Yes the HDR is nice and everything but IMO the blooming kills this tv..
Spidergames is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 5,909
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Assuming the flat OLEDs coming don't have any issues, I'd rather have that than any of these. I watch in a dark room so black level and contrast ratio are the most important picture quality traits to me.

I'd say sticking with the 950b is a pretty good option though and I'd rather have it than the JS9500. Not a curved screen fan.
rlindo is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
you can have my Js9500 then and u could send me your X950b lol.... Yes the HDR is nice and everything but IMO the blooming kills this tv..
Lol, maybe you just got a bad one? Have you tried adjusting settings? My JS9500 I had for a couple of weeks had some blooming but not major like the clouding on the JS8500 I have. HDR is nice but this 950b just gives me such a great picture and I haven't even calibrated it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Assuming the flat OLEDs coming don't have any issues, I'd rather have that than any of these. I watch in a dark room so black level and contrast ratio are the most important picture quality traits to me.

I'd say sticking with the 950b is a pretty good option though and I'd rather have it than the JS9500. Not a curved screen fan.
So is the only reason why you would take the 950b over the JS9500 is because of the curved vs flat? What about the JS8500 vs 950b then? I have a JS8500 and it really seems like the 950b blows it away.

What about the price difference (almost 2x for the flat OLED over the Sony 950b)?

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
iStorm is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Spidergames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Lol, maybe you just got a bad one? Have you tried adjusting settings? My JS9500 I had for a couple of weeks had some blooming but not major like the clouding on the JS8500 I have. HDR is nice but this 950b just gives me such a great picture and I haven't even calibrated it yet.



So is the only reason why you would take the 950b over the JS9500 is because of the curved vs flat? What about the JS8500 vs 950b then? I have a JS8500 and it really seems like the 950b blows it away.

What about the price difference (almost 2x for the flat OLED over the Sony 950b)?
there are others in the J9500 thread had said the same thing as I and even this review here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488965,00.asp has said the same thing about this tv....
Spidergames is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 5,909
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
So is the only reason why you would take the 950b over the JS9500 is because of the curved vs flat? What about the JS8500 vs 950b then? I have a JS8500 and it really seems like the 950b blows it away.

What about the price difference (almost 2x for the flat OLED over the Sony 950b)?
I'd have to see what the blooming is like on each. If the JS9500 has more pronounced blooming then that'd be a deal killer to me. Blooming is annoying.

I'd probably pay that difference for the OLED since I would expect (again, this is assuming the flat OLEDs will be free of issues that have plagued the curved sets thus far) it to offer everything I would need going forward for years meaning I wouldn't feel the upgrade bug like I would with any LCD set. What's basically an infinite contrast ratio can't be topped.

Again though that is assuming no issues and that the flat OLEDs won't have any weird colour accuracy/reproduction issues. If they do then I'd not want to pay the 2x premium for a set that is great contrast wise but has jacked up colours.

I have no doubt I'd be pleased with the 950b seeing as I am very pleased with my Panasonic 65CX850 in my bedroom which may provide an inferior image to the Sony. No idea if it does or doesn't given I haven't seen the 950b but I'm just going by the amount of dimming zones there even though dimming zones don't tell the whole story. One benefit to the dimming algorithm in the Panny is I don't see any blooming.
rlindo is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
there are others in the J9500 thread had said the same thing as I and even this review here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488965,00.asp has said the same thing about this tv....
I don't doubt it considering how bad my JS8500 is in clouding. My 950b doesn't have any noticeable blooming, even with FALD set to Standard. I just watched the new TMNT and it absolutely just demolishes the 8500 I have and I think even the JS9500. I returned the JS9500 because it just didn't impress me, but if I wanted HDR and something more future proof, i would consider the JS9500 again. It is just crazy to think that I have never see a picture as good as this 950b on a blu-ray and I have even owned last year's OLED 1080p LG model. I'm sure the newest LG OLEDs will be better, but also cost almost 2x the cost of this TV for the 65".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
I'd have to see what the blooming is like on each. If the JS9500 has more pronounced blooming then that'd be a deal killer to me. Blooming is annoying.

I'd probably pay that difference for the OLED since I would expect (again, this is assuming the flat OLEDs will be free of issues that have plagued the curved sets thus far) it to offer everything I would need going forward for years meaning I wouldn't feel the upgrade bug like I would with any LCD set. What's basically an infinite contrast ratio can't be topped.

Again though that is assuming no issues and that the flat OLEDs won't have any weird colour accuracy/reproduction issues. If they do then I'd not want to pay the 2x premium for a set that is great contrast wise but has jacked up colours.

I have no doubt I'd be pleased with the 950b seeing as I am very pleased with my Panasonic 65CX850 in my bedroom which may provide an inferior image to the Sony. No idea if it does or doesn't given I haven't seen the 950b but I'm just going by the amount of dimming zones there even though dimming zones don't tell the whole story. One benefit to the dimming algorithm in the Panny is I don't see any blooming.
I'm glad you brought all of this to my attention. Like I told him above, I do not see myself returning this TV. I have owned the JS9500, Panny ZT60, JS8500, and even the 1080p LG OLED and this thing wins hands down compared to all. I'm disappointed it doesn't have HDR capabilities, but hopefully I will be able to get a 4k player and watch 4k blu-rays on it. That will be enough for me for a couple of years until the prices come down on OLEDS.

Thanks for all of your input!

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
iStorm is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I have the X930C and I like it a lot. But I think you have made a great choice to go with X950B. Picture-wise, it is still one of the best 65" led tvs available.
Kahn1988 is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iStorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahn1988 View Post
I have the X930C and I like it a lot. But I think you have made a great choice to go with X950B. Picture-wise, it is still one of the best 65" led tvs available.
I was really considering that TV but I just think it is on par with the edge lit JS8500 and this is in a whole other level due to the FALD. I just cannot get over how good this picture is and all I did was change the setting to Cinema 2.

The 930C is definitely good for the price, just like the JS8500, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as this 950B after watching content on it tonight. We had it in store mode last night and got it late at night so barely got to test it. Tonight I factory reset it, put it in Cinema 2 setting and turned off a couple of other settings and it just amazes me, like the first time I saw it last year at BB.

Selling Over 1100 Blu Ray Movies here:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/213-ph...llections.html
iStorm is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I was really considering that TV but I just think it is on par with the edge lit JS8500 and this is in a whole other level due to the FALD. I just cannot get over how good this picture is and all I did was change the setting to Cinema 2.

The 930C is definitely good for the price, just like the JS8500, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as this 950B after watching content on it tonight. We had it in store mode last night and got it late at night so barely got to test it. Tonight I factory reset it, put it in Cinema 2 setting and turned off a couple of other settings and it just amazes me, like the first time I saw it last year at BB.
In fact, I wasn't overly impressed by JS9500 when I saw it in BB. Yes,it is an amazing TV and has a FALD system and is only about $500 more than the X930 for the 65”. For me,despite having the edge-lit system,sony's black levels and contrast are just superb. It is not as bright as the JS but looks much more natural. Of course,everyone has his own preference,but this is just mine.
iStorm likes this.
Kahn1988 is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 03-02-2016, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tim Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Monroe, LA
Posts: 1,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
For those you have seen the 65x930c and the 65x950b..which do you prefer? I am leaning heavily toward the 930c due to price (about $1000 less) ..

BUT I mostly watch movies and just a little of network TV. Not much actual network stuff. ESPN of course. College Football Nut.

Movies #1...Football #2.
The Blacklist is my favorite TV show.

I work 6 days a week so its mostly in the evening watching and at night.

My plan is to get a really great 65 inch TV for the liv room, then later on (probably this time next year) put this in my bedroom and get a 75" for the main liv room.

Who knows tho, those plans may never pan out. I may end up going smaller in the BR thus making this one be the main one for a few years.

Thats a lot of gibberish to say whats the best dang one? hehehehe. Oh I just ordered the Samsung UHD-BD player. But like most here, not much to choose from in movies just yet.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Tim Glover is offline  
post #16 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 05:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post
For those you have seen the 65x930c and the 65x950b..which do you prefer? I am leaning heavily toward the 930c due to price (about $1000 less) ..

BUT I mostly watch movies and just a little of network TV. Not much actual network stuff. ESPN of course. College Football Nut.

Movies #1...Football #2.
The Blacklist is my favorite TV show.

I work 6 days a week so its mostly in the evening watching and at night.

My plan is to get a really great 65 inch TV for the liv room, then later on (probably this time next year) put this in my bedroom and get a 75" for the main liv room.

Who knows tho, those plans may never pan out. I may end up going smaller in the BR thus making this one be the main one for a few years.

Thats a lot of gibberish to say whats the best dang one? hehehehe. Oh I just ordered the Samsung UHD-BD player. But like most here, not much to choose from in movies just yet.

Thanks for any thoughts.
This is probably the easiest question to answer on this whole entire site lol. The 950B is the better tv! To make a long story short...the 930c's backlight was very disappointing in dark scenes. I had occasional side light bleeding that was very obnoxious. I had 2 of them and would never recommend that tv to people that are sensitive to this. Just read the trustedreview.com review on this and he will explain the issue more thorough. I wish I read it before I bought the tv. Good Luck!

Oh and your a sports watcher...the 930c has terrible gray uniformity, which showed banding while watching sports. Not sure how the 950b gray uniformity is.

Last edited by Aniwolfe; 03-03-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Aniwolfe is offline  
post #17 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniwolfe View Post
This is probably the easiest question to answer on this whole entire site lol. The 950B is the better tv! To make a long story short...the 930c's backlight was very disappointing in dark scenes. I had occasional side light bleeding that was very obnoxious. I had 2 of them and would never recommend that tv to people that are sensitive to this. Just read the trustedreview.com review on this and he will explain the issue more thorough. I wish I read it before I bought the tv. Good Luck!

Oh and your a sports watcher...the 930c has terrible gray uniformity, which showed banding while watching sports. Not sure how the 950b gray uniformity is.
I have no doubt that the 950B is a great set, but it's not HDR capable. With the big push for UHD right now he wouldn't be doing himself any favors by getting a TV without this feature.

Display - LG 65EF9500
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is offline  
post #18 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tim Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Monroe, LA
Posts: 1,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thank you both...Truth on both fronts. The nearest Magnolia is in Dallas, TX. About 4 hours from NE Louisiana. But when I was there last week. The 950b on site did look richer. The colors were 'maybe" brighter on the 930c? Who knows how its set up.

Re: HDR..yeah this is the big shortcoming. On the other hand, theres probably 2 UHD BD's out now that I would even buy. Granted more A list titles will be released. And Netflix and other streaming services will be offering HDR.

But something still leads me to the 950b. The greater black level and contrast make the image richer and natural. The HDR 930c still won't be able to match that even with the increased HDR abilities?

also, later on maybe a year or so. I'll probably put this in my Bedroom.
Tim Glover is offline  
post #19 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tim Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Monroe, LA
Posts: 1,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I read that Trusted Review on the 930c...wow. He covered it all.
Tim Glover is offline  
post #20 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JT78681's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post
I read that Trusted Review on the 930c...wow. He covered it all.
I'm going to counter him with this. It has a pretty high rank on this site. He's the only one I have seen so far that has provided such negative feedback in regards to this TV.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/65-inch/best

Display - LG 65EF9500
Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
JT78681 is offline  
post #21 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
I'm going to counter him with this. It has a pretty high rank on this site. He's the only one I have seen so far that has provided such negative feedback in regards to this TV.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/65-inch/best
Apparently the reviewer and I had defective units?

I had 2 930c's and both exhibited the backlighting issues and poor gray uniformity (rtings.com was neg on that to btw). The TV looks great at BB but when you turn the lights off or you watch Sports, the shortcomings of this tv show itself. Even the salesman at BB told me after I returned the 2 tvs that he heard of the issues. Geez why didnt you tell me before I bought it!...thanks BB lol.

Oh and I didnt mention the boggy OS...but the sound and color overall is very good. It gets a 7/10 from me...thats 2 negatives.

The only good tv Sony made this year was the 940c.

Last edited by Aniwolfe; 03-03-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Aniwolfe is offline  
post #22 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If you want a good edge lit tv that's 65 inch, I would recommend the JS9000 from Samsung.
Aniwolfe is offline  
post #23 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[QUOTE=iStorm;37117226]Hey everyone,

So I had a chance tonight to get a clearance 65" 950B and went ahead and bought it. It was cheaper than the new JS9500 and 65" LG OLED but not the 930C.

For some reason, in the store, the 950B just looked better than everything else to me and that's how it was last year as well.

I also currently own a 65" JS8500. I just need some thoughts on the 950B since I'm trying it out and might end up returning it for the few above.

I wanted FALD since my JS8500 didn't have it and I really dislike the edge light bleed, but the JS8500 picture quality to me is absolutely stunning.. I hooked up the 950b tonight and it seems very comparable to the JS8500, just without the edge light bleed and clouding that is on my JS8500 (so annoying).

With the whole HDR thing aside, how do you feel the 950B matches up with the TVs above? I threw the 930C in there because it is new and do not really know much other than that it support HDR and is edge lit (I want FALD, but if it is substantially better than the JS8500 and 950b, then I would be open to it).

According to most articles, it doesn't look like you can do a whole lot with the calibration as everyone feels that the TV is setup pretty good out of the box on the 950b, which is the opposite of the JS8500 (I used Cnet's settings on that one and it looks amazing, plus the Disney WOW calibration Disc).

I am not so concerned about the HDR thing as I am having great picture quality for blu-rays. I want the best, but at a reasonable price. The JS9500 is reasonably priced right now at $4500, but the OLED is still $6k, which is crazy, but I would be willing to pay the price if it is going to blow the doors off of everything else.

Opinions please?

So, I am going through the same decision now (excluding the Js9500). Several things:
1) When I compare the 930c and 950b in BB (side by side), the 950b does seem to have better contrast and color depth (prob. FALD). The 930c, on the other hand, has a clear and crisp PQ, and maybe slighty better detail (prob. X1 proc?). I do like the speakers as I don't have to crank up my Klipch system for regular tv viewing.
2.) The HDR thing is nice, but may be limiited on the 930c. I am pretty much happy with good upscaling, BD movie quality, and regular tv viewing. I have got the impression the 930c may lack in this last category (would be interested in users comments on this). I think the 950 is better in this respect, plus slightly better in off angle viewing.
3.) Throw into the mix the 930d, which will be in stores later in March. Value Electrinics has a roll out price of $3500, which BB should match since they are Sony authorized. The tv is an unknown now, with the thin bezel and "backlight drive", but at this price it would be the same as the 950b. I wonder how it will cimpare.
4.) Last, in talking to BB last night, the timing looks like this: 1.) Sony has told BB the 930c stock will not be replenished at BB ounce gone (probably towards end of Mar-but then they said this about some tv's last year which continued into Summer-i.e. 850b). The point is, Sony has said the 930c will be taken off display about 3rd week of March, as the 930d comes in. Interestingly, the 950b will stay up (according to rep) UNTILL ABOUT APRIL! If so, looks like it will be available till then.

All factors in my mind!





















val
mrtv2015 is offline  
post #24 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Go to
go to 31:22 and you will see the light bleed issue I am referring to.

Last edited by Aniwolfe; 03-03-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Aniwolfe is offline  
post #25 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I was in the same position last summer. I thought that the 950b had a better overall picture than the Sammy 9500 and did motion much better than the LG OLED, which shocked me. I noticed a lot of background motion blur with fast panning on the lg and that killed it for me. I have not regretted my decision. The picture is pretty good with minor tweaking to taste without calibration. You can wait for better forever. I'm not sure how big a deal HDR will be, I suppose all other things being equal, it could be nice to have, it could be a picture enhancement long before we wee much 4K content because it doesn't require additional bandwidth or new 4K cameras for sports. The overall picture did get better over the first 100 hours of break-in so be patient. All that said I would require a great price to buy a model that is now two years old, even more so than when I bought mine. But if you're going to obsess about things like HDR, I might wait until more are available in a few months. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #26 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Another consideration for the 930c versus other models are the side speakers if that matters. They could be the best sounding stock tv speakers ever and you can add a wireless sub to boot. I have a home theater so the extra girth was actually a big negative and is why I didn't even consider the 940c. The new sets don't have the side speakers if I'm not mistaken. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #27 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Lastly, I'm actually shocked that they are still selling the 950b! That tv has had a long shelf life which is a tribute to how many people really like it was especially since it came down from its original $8,000 price.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #28 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I was in the same position last summer. I thought that the 950b had a better overall picture than the Sammy 9500 and did motion much better than the LG OLED, which shocked me. I noticed a lot of background motion blur with fast panning on the lg and that killed it for me. I have not regretted my decision. The picture is pretty good with minor tweaking to taste without calibration. You can wait for better forever. I'm not sure how big a deal HDR will be, I suppose all other things being equal, it could be nice to have, it could be a picture enhancement long before we wee much 4K content because it doesn't require additional bandwidth or new 4K cameras for sports. The overall picture did get better over the first 100 hours of break-in so be patient. All that said I would require a great price to buy a model that is now two years old, even more so than when I bought mine. But if you're going to obsess about things like HDR, I might wait until more are available in a few months. Regards. Ned.
Is not $3498 a great price for the 950b?
mrtv2015 is offline  
post #29 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ngerstman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: N.J.
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtv2015 View Post
Is not $3498 a great price for the 950b?
I suppose it might not be too bad to the extent that you want a fald panel if that aspect of technology doesn't trickle down to less expensive models this year. I paid $4,500 last July. If you still need to spend $5,000-6,000 to get Fald this year then maybe that isn't too bad a price and the decision really hasn't changed much since I bought mine last year, HDR versus wanting fald. Will there be any fald sets with HDR this year close to that price? I don't know for sure, but I still think fald is only available in top of the line sets which will continue to command top prices unless you go with something like Vizio. It is a two year old model which is an eternity in the flat panel world. At this point $2,500-3,000 seems to make more sense but I guess you risk them being gone waiting for that price. Regards. Ned.
Ngerstman is offline  
post #30 of 31 Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Aniwolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngerstman View Post
I suppose it might not be too bad to the extent that you want a fald panel if that aspect of technology doesn't trickle down to less expensive models this year. I paid $4,500 last July. If you still need to spend $5,000-6,000 to get Fald this year then maybe that isn't too bad a price and the decision really hasn't changed much since I bought mine last year, HDR versus wanting fald. Will there be any fald sets with HDR this year close to that price? I don't know for sure, but I still think fald is only available in top of the line sets which will continue to command top prices unless you go with something like Vizio. It is a two year old model which is an eternity in the flat panel world. At this point $2,500-3,000 seems to make more sense but I guess you risk them being gone waiting for that price. Regards. Ned.
Sharp (Hisense) is releasing a few FALD TV's in the U.S. this year, that will have HDR at the 2-3,200 dollar mark.
Aniwolfe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off