AVS Forum banner

LG UF8600 Prime 4k

17K views 97 replies 34 participants last post by  na5tynat3 
#1 ·
It looks like we have a new LG 4k coming out per BB's website. They are introducing this in their Prime line up which is suppose to have the Nano Spectrum technology similar to Samsung. I am assuming this is HDR compatible but not 100%. I have been waiting for the 2015 Vizio P series but this may takes its place. I still would like to wait and compare. Does anyone have any details or info. about this model?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...lack/4442903.p?id=1219747445960&skuId=4442903

#3 ·
Passive 3D set too which is harder to find lately. Good starting price for a 65" HDR nano from a big name brand. With well executed local dimming through LED Plus, we may have another stepping stone to a true reasonably priced dolby vision certified set that would be pretty much future proof for a good while.

#4 ·
You are dreaming if you think ANY IPS-based TV is going to be able to provide a good HDR experience. Poor contrast will equal poor HDR.

Reactions: ttnuagmada
#6 ·
I have this unit and I'm happy with the purchase. I came from a 7yr old panasonic 720p plasma. pv70 i think? LCD has has come a long way. I remember when I got my plasma, lcd tvs were soooo bad. I'm happy with the blacks. Bleeding is very minimal.

I was choosing between 60ju6400 and 65ju6000. Then uf860 came out and one store had a sale selling it cheaper than uf850 and priced really close to both samsung 6. So I decided to get this instead. I've always been curious about 3d and so far, I have enjoyed it. I watched avatar 3d and metallica 3d. Didn't get any headaches. In terms of picture quality, samsung is equal or maybe a little bit better. But LG has better 3d, viewing angle and webos. It was also a lot cheaper in my area so it was an easy decision.

#11 ·
Conflicting reports, I got this:

Hi how are you? I hope your doing fine,

Than you for your time emailing us. In regards to your concern, model 65UF8600 and other newer models of LG smart TV’s are already supporting HDMI 2.0 and HDR ( High Dynamic Range).

I hope this help in addressing your concern. Should you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us again via Email, Live Chat, or Phone by calling 1-800-243-0000 / 1-800-793-8896.

Thank you for choosing LG!

Sincerely,
Alex

#12 ·
Turns out it does have HDR, and to my eyes it's quite stunning! Attaching pics, but I'm by no means an expert photographer.

Just got the TV today, but so far I'm loving it. No banding, no clouding, and very little blooming. I know people hate these sets for the contrast, but even in dark the blacks look great. I mean, I see how they're not quite as rich as Sony or Samsung, but it's not nearly as bad as people made it out to be.

I can't compare it to the 8500, but one day in I'm very satisfied.

Attachments

#13 ·
It does not look bad from the pics, when your watching end credits do you see any halos on the words? Is this set backlit or edge? I currently have an ips panel so I'm used to the blacks not being the darkest, but I also have no light bleed or clouding. I need a bigger set, but not to many reviews out yet. Thanks for the pictures

#14 ·
No halos. It's edge lit, so there is some light in the corners during dark scenes if there's little light in the room. With lights on it's hardly noticeable, and I understand this is par for the course (I'm coming from a plasma).

We watched Fury Road last night with all the lights out (which I almost never do), and I was actually impressed with the blacks. Sure it's no OLED, but from complaints I saw I expected blacks to be gray, but they were pretty inky. I could see some edge light in the upper corners with the black bars, but I can't really compare to other sets.

As impressive was WebOS. I almost immediately liked it better than using my XBox One for media. Which is handy since I'll be replacing that with a 4k BR player when they come out.

#20 ·
Difference

Glad to hear the owner is loving the set. I too am of the belief that the IPS contrast is blown way out of proportion. I'm just wondering what is the difference between this set and the UF9500?

#24 ·
#25 ·
I really can't speak to that rtings review. Every part of the review said it was horrible for a pc monitor, but here, have a great rating for being a pc monitor. Also, I can't speak for the 55" model, but that stand and remote look nothing like mine.

Anyway, I fully understand that under normal circumstances people have purchasing bias, and I may be under that effect. I took a chance on this set considering how new it is and what I've read about IPS panels, but I'm glad I gave it a shot. I said it earlier though, if one has doubts they should wait for more user reviews.

#27 ·
U.S.

The UF8600 is available in the US. Best Buy has it for sale.

#30 ·
Best Buy currently has this TV $200 off. I'm still trying to decide between this TV, the X850c, or the JS8500. I must admit I am leaning more towards this TV but I've heard both positive and negative things from an IPS panel. I'm not to familiar with the different panels so I may have to do some more HW.

#33 ·
You don't have to buy the tv from Costco to use their warranty. As long as you are a member, you can buy a warranty.

#34 ·
Stopped into the local BB yesterday to have a closer look at this display. Nice looking panel. Thin bezel with a sharp looking stand. Of course it didn't do the panel much justice having it near the OLED's but it still held up pretty well. Very impressed viewing from all angles and even with BluRay content I had the BB tech hook up. Thinking this will be my "transitional" TV until OLED panels come down in price. Cannot fathom spending 5K on the 9500 despite getting offer from BB tech for 36 months no interest financing.....and the free 49" LG panel included. Yet I still sit here considering....:)

#35 ·
I was about to pull the trigger on either the Samsung 65JU7100 or Sony 65X850C but have to say news of this LG has me intrigued (HDR, Passive 3D, Local Dimming) - it drops right in alongside the other two sets price wise on Amazon....

Going to have to go take a look at my local Best Buy and see how it compares....

#37 ·
79UF860V (EU naming)

Hi all.

I have 79UF860V
Price was 5200€ in europe.
I love this TV. I do not need curved panel, and 79" is just good size. This panel is "phosphor panel".
I have this TV now about 3 month and do not want any smaller panel TV:):D

#38 ·
So I was in the same boat kind of... I had actually paid for the X850C without having seen it first but then I wanted to see it in person. THis set was right next to it and caught my attention immediately.

I got it hooked up tonight and while I did not get to calibrate it yet I have to say it is a great picture and much better than the Samsung 65JU7500 I am replacing that I just wasn't happy with.There is minor edge bleeding that I am noticing especially from the top left in al black scenes. I saw that on the LG site as well as the biggest complaint. Playing with some settings made it much better though and almost unnoticeable. I haven't tried calibrating it yet (don't have the disc) but the picture is very good.

#40 · (Edited)
something that may make this TV better pricewise... HHGregg has it in stock for the same price as best buy but 11% of this week plus free delivery or pickup. I'm trying to get a price adjustment or else I'm returning it and buying it there (worth it to get it $253 cheaper)

Also turned on the TV when I just got home and there was a firmware update waiting. No idea what the update was though.

EDIT: Was watching TV tonight and unfortunately this set is going back. The bleed on the top left corner is bad. During all black scenes it is almost white and once you notice it you see it on everything. Watching "Chopped" on food network it was noticeable almost throughout the show. May have to look at the Sony XBR x850c now

#41 ·
Interesting Edit there Ducky. Seems like I've read a lot of posts and reviews that complain of the top left hand corner bleed on numerous LG displays. Thanks for the feedback.

I also looked into purchasing this TV through HHGregg and their weekend 11% off sale. According to online customer service, as of last night they were completely out of stock on the 8600. Looks like I'll be holding out on my purchase for a little while longer. The more I read and do research, the more I keep telling myself to hold off for the 65" OLED's to drop in price.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

#42 ·
I just bought this set (65UF8600) from HHGreg and utilized the 11% discount, out the door it was $2046. I was going with the Sony at first for the same price, but when I saw this set next to it, it really looked so much better than the X850C Sony. I still didn't pick it up yet, I will have it here at the house on Tuesday (they were out of stock). WebOS is very snappy and quick, the nano-coat makes a good difference in colors (it was also next to the 65UF8500 and there IS a difference), and I think the black levels are VERY good. Most photography and professional monitors utilize IPS displays with 95% to 100% color gamut. This 4K IPS panel on this TV looks just as good in color reproduction and vibrance. HHGreg also said they'd price match it from now until after black-Friday in-case it drops in price in the next 30 something days, which is pretty cool!

This is going to be my first LG product so I hope it's going to be a good experience. I originally wanted the 70 inch Vizio P series, but HHGreg rep told me they don't even carry them because in the past they got so much defects and returns that they were losing money on them, which seems to be the trend online as well. The Vizio looks AMAZING though, and for the price, you're really getting a lot, but unfortunately, bad quality control is a huge turn-off.

I'll try to take some pro pics for everyone once the set is here, and I'll run my calibrator on it as well (as I do to all my screens).

The only info I wasn't able to get from the LG website is what is the frequency of its 4K capability, 30hz? 60hz? Does it do 1080p at 120Hz? I wasn't able to figure that out ... also they claim local-dimming, but how many regions? That information doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Also what chroma sub-sampling does it support? 4:4:4?! or 4:4:2? I'm not sure at this point, I guess I'll find out soon!

#45 ·
Hello guys,

This is my first post since I found this forum looking for reviews on the LG UF8600. I bought this tv on Sunday and after reading all the thread I decided to tell my experience to help make some decisions. Today after 2 days I went back to best buy and returned the tv. Also let me tell that like most of you guys I was between this LG, the Samsung JU7100 and the Sony X850C.

My major issue with it was the terrible backlight edge bleeding. It was too much and annoying. I never thought I would regret buying the tv but I did. As soon as I watched something with black on it the tv went from great to terrible. Blacks are not black at all. Clouding everywhere. Another thing that I didn't like was the input lag for playing games. If you are into gaming this tv is definitely not for you (and yes I used it in game mode) .

On the bright side, the set has great colors, picture quality and really really good passive 3D. The 3D was really that good and the fact that was passive was one of the reasons I decided on this set. Also the IPS panel is supposed to give great viewing angles but not so good black levels.

So at the end I read the reviews from rtings.com and decided to go with the Samsung JU7100. I only used the samsung 1 day but I loved it much more than the LG. It has way better black levels but it also has a little bit of clouding. Nothing compared to the LG. The samsung I can live with it no problem. It has no edge bleeding at all. For gaming I didn't tired it yet but accordingly to the reviews it has little input lag. Overall the samsung I think its 10x better than the LG. It has great colors and picture quality also, actually I liked it better than the LG but that might have personal preference also. Upscale of 1080p content to near "4k" looked better on the samsung.

On behalf of the Sony I looked at it, it was really nice probably the one that has best black levels and no clouding issue. I decided on the samsung because for brighter rooms its supposed to be better.

Here are the links to the reviews I read to make my decision:

Samsung JU7100: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7100

Sony X850C: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c

LG UF8500 (There is no review for the 8600 but it looks exactly the same and has the same features and IPS display so there is probably not much difference): http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uf8500

-On those reviews you can se what Im talking about.

Finally some photos of the LG and Samsung to support my claims. You can clearly see what Im talking about on the night shots of the LG.

It's late and I tried to do my best with my first post lol I probably missed something. Pardon me If I made many grammar or spelling mistakes English is my second language. I will be more than happy to answer any other question you guys have! :)

PD: 4k looked amazing in both tv's.

Attachments

#46 ·
Hello guys,

This is my first post since I found this forum looking for reviews on the LG UF8600. I bought this tv on Sunday and after reading all the thread I decided to tell my experience to help make some decisions. Today after 2 days I went back to best buy and returned the tv. Also let me tell that like most of you guys I was between this LG, the Samsung JU7100 and the Sony X850C.

My major issue with it was the terrible backlight edge bleeding. It was too much and annoying. I never thought I would regret buying the tv but I did. As soon as I watched something with black on it the tv went from great to terrible. Blacks are not black at all. Clouding everywhere. Another thing that I didn't like was the input lag for playing games. If you are into gaming this tv is definitely not for you (and yes I used it in game mode) .

On the bright side, the set has great colors, picture quality and really really good passive 3D. The 3D was really that good and the fact that was passive was one of the reasons I decided on this set. Also the IPS panel is supposed to give great viewing angles but not so good black levels.

So at the end I read the reviews from rtings.com and decided to go with the Samsung JU7100. I only used the samsung 1 day but I loved it much more than the LG. It has way better black levels but it also has a little bit of clouding. Nothing compared to the LG. The samsung I can live with it no problem. It has no edge bleeding at all. For gaming I didn't tired it yet but accordingly to the reviews it has little input lag. Overall the samsung I think its 10x better than the LG. It has great colors and picture quality also, actually I liked it better than the LG but that might have personal preference also. Upscale of 1080p content to near "4k" looked better on the samsung.

On behalf of the Sony I looked at it, it was really nice probably the one that has best black levels and no clouding issue. I decided on the samsung because for brighter rooms its supposed to be better.

Here are the links to the reviews I read to make my decision:

Samsung JU7100: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju7100

Sony X850C: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850c

LG UF8500 (There is no review for the 8600 but it looks exactly the same and has the same features and IPS display so there is probably not much difference): http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uf8500

-On those reviews you can se what Im talking about.

Finally some photos of the LG and Samsung to support my claims. You can clearly see what Im talking about on the night shots of the LG.

It's late and I tried to do my best with my first post lol I probably missed something. Pardon me If I made many grammar or spelling mistakes English is my second language. I will be more than happy to answer any other question you guys have! :)

PD: 4k looked amazing in both tv's.
You are F*&^ing awesome for putting this together!!! This just made my decision much easier.. Can I ask 1 question though? What is the panel No. on the Samsung TV? It will be on the side of the box and will say something like Version No. IH02 or TS01 something like that..Thanks again :)

#50 ·
Alright, guys, I promised pictures last night, however, it was a very hectic day and I couldn't get the time to shoot some for everyone. However, I will, however, confirm the corner back-light bleed issue (from ALL 4 corners) ... I sit very close to the TV to play video games, and at close range it is not bothersome, however, I do think I will return it ... I don't think a TV that costs 2000+ dollars should have any issue like that ... pretty disappointed as it REALLY is an absolutely gorgeous screen, colors and details are breath-taking. I would buy a Samsung JU7100, but I'm just scared of the glossy screen ... we've had them before and they just tend to pick up every single light-bulb in the room, the LG and Sony both have semi-glossy displays which dampens the light reflections... It's going to be a toss up between Sony X850C or Samsung JU7100 ... what do you guys think? Any suggestions other than the 2? Even for a little more money (say $300 but nothing more).

I will still try to work on pictures for everyone to re-confirm this once again if I keep it for a couple more days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.