AVS Forum banner

Picture quality JU7100 vs X850C

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  dalto 
#1 ·
So I'm on the hunt for a new TV but am having a really hard time picking.

It's coming down to either the JU7100 or X850C , and possibly the JS8000 if I can't choose between the first two and have to up the budget.

Observations in store is that:

The JU7100 has far better contrast and better more vibrant colors than the X850C.

The X850C just seems washed out color wise and a bit grey generally.

The JS8000 looks slightly better than the JU7100, but only if looking very hard and isn't really noticeable for the extra money.

That's my obversations, but are in contrast with all the reviews I read. Which if going by rtings.com say the X850C has better contrast than them both and is meant to have better colors due to the HDR support.

So I'm wondering, is it just the instore lighting that is misleading me ? Will I actually be happy with the contrast and colours of the X850C when I get it home ?

I know this question is easily answered by 'take it home and try it out / go by what you like best' but I guess I'm trying to see if there's something I'm missing here in terms of how it looks in store vs at home.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
TVs set up in most stores are in their vivid type mode which is next to useless in trying to compare TVs since only the real weirdos watch their sets in that same mode at home. The best way to compare true performance is when the sets are calibrated and preferably by the same person(s) using the same equipment. The screen coating can also factor in meaning how it deals with the ambient light. According to rtings.com the 850c is semi gloss while the JU7100 is glossy. If so, that could help explain it since glossy coatings can often look more vibrant. Oh and the JU7100 is a good bit brighter so that would factor in as well in a store setting.

I gather that both when calibrated to the same standard probably look fairly close and one isn't going to blow the other one away so if you feel the JU7100 is going to produce a better image then go for it. It's supposedly getting hdr support as well.

As for rtings.com, while I appreciate the site for info, I have reservations about trusting anything he/they come up with in terms of reviews/scores. First off, he/they think the JS9000 is the best Samsung tv which is the only review site I have seen that actually thinks it is better than the JS9500. They also say the JS9500 blacks aren't as deep as the JS8500 and JS9000. So the full array set with 120+ real dimming zones that can shut them off to produce actual black doesn't have as good of black as the edge lit pseudo dimming sets. Yeah.

I have no doubt he is comparing native black but who the hell buys a set like the JS9500 to run it with dimming off? The guy is so anti local dimming it'd be comical if it weren't for the fact so many seem to put way too much value in the review scores there. Almost every single time someone mentions they are looking into the Vizio M, someone will bring up the JU7100 saying rtings.com gave it a higher score. Interestingly these people never bring up someone like Katzmaier at cnet saying the M provides a better image than the JU7100...

There are other issues I have with rtings.com but I won't get into that here.

#6 ·
They also say the JS9500 blacks aren't as deep as the JS8500 and JS9000
I hadn't actually looked too much as the JS9500 because it's out of my price range, but comparing on rtings.com they both get the same score (8.1) and the JU7100 has better contrast, motion handling, uniformity, and viewing angle. Seems like the JU7100 is the better TV.. which I'm sure isn't actually true in reality. So probably a good point I shouldn't put too much faith in their ratings.

#3 ·
Don't mean to throw a wrench in your decision but I was looking at those and similar and just noticed LG is about to release a UF8600 and I believe it's going to be HDR since it's in their Prime lineup. I believe the starting price is $2499 before any discounts or sales.

#5 ·
rlindo said:
As for rtings.com, while I appreciate the site for info, I have reservations about trusting anything he/they come up with in terms of reviews/scores.
Yeah I was starting to wondering about this....

Don't mean to throw a wrench in your decision
Oh god, I don't need more decisions :p

Do you think that will be an IPA panel ? I'm pretty keen on good contrast, so might not sway me.

denpom said:
pick your poison.
Right, seems there's some compromise with all these TVs in one way that the other doesn't have.

I guess the simple question would be is there anywhere / anyway I can simply find out which one has better perceived contrast ?

#4 ·
CNET and Rtings are rubbish. Rtings is only good as a reference site for their decent library of TVs and lists of basic specs. CNET is good for nothing. after their JS8500 review i don't take anything seriously from that site.

now that we got that out of the way. JU7100 is a direct lit panel that has local dimming (very few zones but still), supports HDR format, runs a decent TV OS but prone to panel lottery and exhibit dark corners and banding if you're unlucky.

850C doesn't have dimming (light bleed and flashlighting galore), runs broken Android but looks cooler when off ;)

pick your poison.

#9 ·
They lucked out and got a uniform panel, but that's not always the case with the js9000.

The fald system provides alot better shadow detail regardless of if it's hdr or not.

I had the 2 tvs side by side at best buy with the same content, the 9500 was better with every scene and I took pictures to evaluate it as well. The shadow detail and highlights was easily better on the 9500. Alot of places do suggest the js9000 simply because it's cheaper but if you care more about picture quality it's a no brainer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.