New 40" Samsung 6300J vs. Used Plasma? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 1 Old Today, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New 40" Samsung 6300J vs. Used Plasma?

Should I get a New 40" Samsung 6300J or a Used Plasma?

Size: 43" ideally with some leeway either direction
Viewing Distance: 9 feet
Content: Netflix Streaming, Blu Ray, DVD, possible Cable
Gaming: No

New LED: I've sized up the 40" Samsung J6300. It's a pretty good 1080p set for contrast, picture and low motion blur with its 120hz panel, and costs about $470.

Used Plasma: I've also been looking at ads for used plasmas on craigslist. For instance a 2011 Samsung set, PN43D450. At 720p, it's a lower resolution, but I am not sure if that would make much difference for the 43" size at 9 feet distance(?). I would be hoping to capitalize on nice Blacks, Colors, Smooth Motion, and wide Viewing Angles afforded plasmas. Cost for the used plasmas within the last 5-6 years is about $150-300.

For my viewing purposes, should I just go ahead and get the new Samsung J6300, with the idea that it's probably just as good as a 2009-2013 plasma from Panny or Samsung in this size? Or is it worthwhile to check out used plasmas, regardless if they are "just 720p"? Will using a 720p set in today's climate produce artifacts and weirdness when I try to stream Netflix, or will it be fine and not appreciably difference from a 1080p set in this size and viewing distance? Or should I restrict my looking to 1080p plasmas?

Lastly, are there particular Plasma makes and models I should search for in this size?

Thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays