AVS Forum banner

Samsung JS8500 Red lines on screen

20K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Sprik 
#1 ·
I purchased the 55" version of the Samsung 4k SUHD JS8500 TV about two months ago. Intermittently I have had an
issue with vertical red lines flashing on the screen. This usually occurs only when I am using the TV for gaming on a PS4 or HDMI connected PC, not when watching movies or television shows. When it happens, I will see from one to three thin red colored vertical lines that run from the top to bottom of the screen. They appear for just a second and then vanish at random. This happens on multiple inputs. I have swapped out the HDMI cables, switched inputs, adjusted the picture and advanced settings options, swapped out the surge suppressor the TV is attached to and upgraded the TV firmware to version 1422.
I still experience the problem. Sometimes I can game for over an hour without seeing any red lines and other times the lines show up within ten to fifteen minutes. I wanted to see if anyone else who has this model TV or a similar Samsung set has experienced the issue and if there is something else I should try.

#3 ·
I purchased the 55" version of the Samsung 4k SUHD JS8500 TV about two months ago. Intermittently I have had an
issue with vertical red lines flashing on the screen.
I have been getting this a lot as well. (bought the tv last week) Haven't noticed anything from my Xbone, but my PS4 doesn't like the Game Mode at all. I don't think the red line issue was there from start, not sure, but have been more present lately.

I have tried everything, switching ports and cables. Seem to work better on some HDMI ports but the red lines are still visible. It's always the same spots that are affected.

Really don't want to return the tv (all the extra work) but I think I have to. :(

#4 ·
I had these lines on my 55JU7100. They were showing only in the dark parts of the image. I got rid of them but, to be honest, I don't know what did I exactly do to make them dissapear. First I bought a shorter 5ft hdmi cable and that did help somewhat. Updating the firmware to latest 1412 helped as well. I changed HDMI port until I settled on one that didn't seem to have them (HDMI 1). Also, I updated nvidia drivers to 358.78.

If all of the above fails, I found that creating a custom resolution in NVidia control panel with less vertical pixels ie 3840 x 2140 instead of 3840 x 2160 does the trick. I didn't get a single red line while using this resolution.

Using this year's Samsung UHD TVs as a PC monitor can be a quirky experience. Luckily, after lot of hair pulling, I managed to smooth the things out.

Let us know if any of this made a difference to you.

#5 ·
I contacted Samsung Sweden and explained the issue. The guy I talked to had never heard of it before but advised me to try to update the tv and do a factory reset (ofc, should always try that) and to contact them if the issue still persists.

Well....Its working fine now. Did the reset and entered all the settings as I had before. It's just weird but I'm happy to say that so far so good. Still need to try it out for a bit.

#6 ·
I have been having the same issue for a while. Didn't do it when I first bought it but has been for a while now (tried searching the forums but didn't see similar issues and was out of the return period). I just tried a factory reset and will be gaming later to see if that did the trick. Just to verify, how did you do the factory reset? Was it Menu > Support > Self Diagnosis > Reset? That is what I did and I want to ensure it is the same.

#9 ·
I'm having this issue as well with my ps4.
service has replaced my one connect mini before and motherboard today, still red lines :mad:
lines appear only on game mode and replugging one connect mini removes lines for a day.
i tested tv with other ps4 with same results.
tomorrow i call service again :)

#11 ·
Hi Guys, I just bought a new 8500 not even 2 weeks ago and this same issue is happening to mine. Red and Blue lines on my p4 on Game mode only. I spent about 3 hours looking for others with the same issues and here I find im not the only one. I was able to correct the issue with the instructions above and in additional I turned my tv off and then on again and yes, the issue has been correct. BUT.... for how long............... not impressed by the amount of money I paid for this tv and this issue has arised.... im sure Samsung can just do an update to correct this.. but for now. any updates??????????

#16 ·
Hi there. My name is Bryce. Nice to meet you. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue. The only way I was able to fix or shall I say temporarily fix the issue was to do a picture reset. Turn of the tv and ps4 turn everything back on again and put the tv back on game mode. I'm going to copy and paste this on the thread just in case others can see what I did.

#17 ·
I have had the same issue.
I did a system reset and it worked. Came Back about 3 weeks later and did the same and it worked again.
I am contemplating if i should return it to best buy.
However, it is possible that it is not going to solve my issue if i purchase the same tv.
I got it at a great price before black Friday so I will not find a comparable TV for the same Price point.
I have til jan 15th to return, Would you guys return it?
It is obviously a software issue, so samsung could fix it OTA somehow at some point.

#18 ·
I have had the same issue.

I did a system reset and it worked. Came Back about 3 weeks later and did the same and it worked again.

I am contemplating if i should return it to best buy.

However, it is possible that it is not going to solve my issue if i purchase the same tv.

I got it at a great price before black Friday so I will not find a comparable TV for the same Price point.

I have til jan 15th to return, Would you guys return it?

It is obviously a software issue, so samsung could fix it OTA somehow at some point.

I would think it's a software issue but this is my third JS8500 (as the others had different issues)...and I never noticed the blue flickering line on those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Hello, got the 48 inch version back in November 22nd. No issues with it at all. Hadn't gamed on it until today though. I put it in Game Mode and it had been fine until a few minutes ago. Started seeing random red vertical lines on it. I'm using an XB 360 connected to port 3 on the One Connect Box. The tv is running firmware 1440. Not sure what could cause it, but if it's the cable I ordered 6ft new ones earlier today. Haven't done a reset at all.

#21 ·
I have the same issue. Had my TV since February and it has worked great. Just recently started to see a single, very thin pink or red vertical line on the right 2/3 of the screen. You can only see it on a light colored background like the sky or on a hockey game against the white ice. I did just recently upgrade my HDMI to 2.0 cables, so I wonder if that is part of it. I'll need to start trying some things because I'd rather not return it to Best Buy. Good to see others with the same issue though.

#22 ·
Just today I started getting a couple of flashing red lines on the left side of my JS8500 65". We bought this TV on Black Friday 2015 and have had zero problems with it until right now.

I use my TV on my HTPC and the Source setting is set to PC. Full UHD turned on and all. After finding this forum I set the source to TV instead and the lines stopped. Unfortunately this isn't going to fly because when you use this screen on a PC and you turn it to a different source the picture gets terrible.

I turned PC mode back on and the lines were still gone for the night so far. I have the extended 4 year warranty so they can come and replace it but there must be something else Samsung can do about it if it only does this in PC or game modes. I also do not want to go through the return hassle if this could be fixed by software. We should contact Samsung and try to make them aware of this forum in case this starts happening to others.

#24 ·
My problem has slightly changed. Now instead of getting the thin red line down the left half of the screen, sometimes it will be a blue/purple colored line down the right half. Same as the red line. It only shows up for a quick flicker. Annoying nonetheless. It still seems to go away when I change input modes to TV and back to PC, but it will come back after a day or more. I contacted Samsung support with email and directed them to this forum, but I've heard no response yet. I'm going to try again later. I'd call them but I work too many hours and I'm never home when they are open.

#25 ·
Try turning on HDMI UHD color on input.

On my 65" JS8500 I have been experiencing vertical red pixel lines appearing at random when playing my PS4. Definitely tried different inputs and both standard and active HDMI cables in varying lengths.

Turning off Game Mode does seem to immediately eliminate the problem but I prefer it on. HDMI UHD color can be turned on for the input you are using for PS4 with game mode on and I can no longer reproduce the verticle red line problem which has plagued my playing of FO4, Uncharted 4, AC Syndicate, etc. for the past several months.

This may be a fluke so I would be interested to know if this fixes the problem for anybody else. Good luck.

Menu -> Picture -> Picture Options -> HDMI UHD Color -> turn on for input you are having problems with and restart TV.

#26 ·
On my 65" JS8500 I have been experiencing vertical red pixel lines appearing at random when playing my PS4. Definitely tried different inputs and both standard and active HDMI cables in varying lengths.

Turning off Game Mode does seem to immediately eliminate the problem but I prefer it on. HDMI UHD color can be turned on for the input you are using for PS4 with game mode on and I can no longer reproduce the verticle red line problem which has plagued my playing of FO4, Uncharted 4, AC Syndicate, etc. for the past several months.

This may be a fluke so I would be interested to know if this fixes the problem for anybody else. Good luck.

Menu -> Picture -> Picture Options -> HDMI UHD Color -> turn on for input you are having problems with and restart TV.

I just experienced the red lines for the first time on this panel (my old panel had flickering blue lines).

Does the HDMI UHD color introduce any negatives aspects? Does it affect input lag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Doesn't help anyone I know, but I've just purchased the Samsung UEJS9000 a few days ago, unpacked it, updated it, set up game mode, and I've got the red lines too.

I don't know whether to give up before I get involved and get my money back, or whether to get it serviced - it seems like a software issue to me, given that it's only game mode that has a problem, but then there's a guy on Reddit who got a panel replacement and says it fixed the issue.

Advice please!

#34 ·
Quick update (sorry for the double-post, tried to edit the original but I can't see an edit function)...

I rang Richer Sounds (who I purchased it from) and they gave me a Samsung number to call about it, saying that they can refund me, but not replace it, because they won't be getting any more in stock (it's last year's model).

So I rang Samsung, and they've told me to get a refund, because seeing as the problem is intermittent, they won't accept it for servicing.

(I don't really want a refund - this year's version of the TV would cost me nearly £1,000 extra, and I'm perfectly happy with the TV other than these damn flickering red lines.)

The Samsung representative then connected remotely, reset the TV to factory settings (which I've already tried) and deleted some HDMI registration info from a service menu. No chance that'll fix it, is there, but I've got 40 days left on my cooling off period to get a refund, so I'll give it a chance...

#41 ·
Hi guys, I just solved this issue, the problem is “I don’t know what exactly do”. Tell you, I tried by updating tv software, reset to factory settings but nothing works.

So I was just playing with picture configurations on Menu, you know, turning on/off things. Then I turned Off/On “Picture Off” option (Menu>Picture>Picture Off) my Tv blinked, then totally black screen, then I notice that sound still going on, so I pressed “Menu” or whatever button on my remote, then image pop out again, and no more red blinking lines on obscure images with Game Mode active. I can say that I can see a very sharp picture now.

Can’t believe it! I just passed the last 3 months playing with that fkng lines.

Tv model is UN55F6800AF.

Wish you good luck guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.