Do Pixel repair DVD's work ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2015, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do Pixel repair DVD's work ?

I have an older Samsung 40" LCD Display that has burn in 2 inches all around the edge of the screen. I just recently upgraded to Comcast and the tech said there was a DVD that you could buy that cycled the display on and off for 5 or 6 hours and this would cure the problem.
This display seems to be prone to burn in anyways, even leaving it on a game setup screen where nothing moves for say 5 minutes will leave a "ghost" image, but that usually disappears after awhile.
So what would be my options for repair DVD's and are they worth getting ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-24-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 941
no.

🔥🔥🔥 Sent from my Samsung Note 7 Using Ove Glove™ 🔥🔥🔥
post #3 of 6 Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
I have an older Samsung 40" LCD Display that has burn in 2 inches all around the edge of the screen. I just recently upgraded to Comcast and the tech said there was a DVD that you could buy that cycled the display on and off for 5 or 6 hours and this would cure the problem.
This display seems to be prone to burn in anyways, even leaving it on a game setup screen where nothing moves for say 5 minutes will leave a "ghost" image, but that usually disappears after awhile.
So what would be my options for repair DVD's and are they worth getting ?
You don't need to buy a DVD, just the videos from http://screenburnfixer.com/. You do need a Chromecast or some other mechanism which allows you to display random YouTube videos on your screen.

These will help although I had to run it for many, many days before things got better. I also stopped using the TV for the display of internet radio and DLNA sources on my receiver and now only use the phone app. Between these two measures the ghosting has gotten much better over the last few months. Not perfect, but much less noticeable when I'm watching golf or football.

I do wish receiver manufacturers would put a screen saver mode for their network inputs. Dish does it for their DLNA player...

Theory is a great place, everything works in theory.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3000
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-N460/LaserDisc: Panasonic AG-LD20
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15

Last edited by John Sully; 11-24-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add mention of time...

post #4 of 6 Old 11-25-2015, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

So does this still happen with newer displays as well? Specifically LCD and LED displays. I thought it was more of an issue with Plasma sets, I was actually told at one point you can't have burn in on an LCD display !
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Well, it isn't actually burn in, since it will fade with time. What happens is that you get sort of a shadow image displayed. What happened with me is that I often use the TV to display song/artist/album art when listening to internet radio or music streamed via DLNA. So I saw a couple of dark shadowy areas in between the lines where the text was displayed. This was most noticeable while watching stuff like golf which had large evenly toned blue areas. So: it does happen, but it is not permanent, and receiver manufacturers really ought to have a screen saver mode for their information displays.

Theory is a great place, everything works in theory.

Receiver: Denon AVR X3000
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-N460/LaserDisc: Panasonic AG-LD20
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
post #6 of 6 Old 11-27-2015, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm not sure If its permanent or not, but its been there for over a year and never dissapates.Its very similar to a photo vignette where theres a dark area around the outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page