Optical Audio Out problem with OTA - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2015, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Optical Audio Out problem with OTA

Hello,

I have tried to search an answer for this and have seen some discussion for similar issues but mine is a little different. I have a 50" LG TV model 50LN5100 and get my channels OTA via an antenna. I am trying to use a soundbar with only an optical or RCA in. When I connect the soundbar with the optical cable all I hear is a clicking sound. I have read on some threads about changing the audio settings but my TV has no audio settings that can be changed other than "cinema" "game" "sports" etc.. The soundbar works fine when connected to another source. I have read about digital to analog converters but have also read that some of them won't work with certain signals also.

First is there anything I can do with optical out directly from the TV to the soundbar?

If not, is there a digital to analog converter that will work with any input/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 541
On my LG I think there's an audio option for digital out or something like that. Enabling that feature disables the tv's internal speakers and the audio is sent via optical to my receiver. I too use OTA and I get crystal clear discrete 5.1 when the source transmits it. If your LG has an optical output on the back then there should be a menu item to enable it. Unless the tv does it automatically when an optical cable is detected. What does the manual say?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
On my LG I think there's an audio option for digital out or something like that. Enabling that feature disables the tv's internal speakers and the audio is sent via optical to my receiver. I too use OTA and I get crystal clear discrete 5.1 when the source transmits it. If your LG has an optical output on the back then there should be a menu item to enable it. Unless the tv does it automatically when an optical cable is detected. What does the manual say?
I agree I would think that there should be a setting but there is nothing about the optical out in the manual nor is there any setting on the menu. What model is your LG?
Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I went to the LG web site and looked at the 5100 Manuel. It clearly say it supports optical out as digital sound out. You can turn off tv speaker in the Menu command. Also on your remote you have two buttons. Audio and Sound.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Interesting. I would suggest re-reading the manual and then disable the tv speakers.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The Troubleshooting section of your manual says in the case of No Sound - "Check if the TV Speaker feature is activated in the menu option."
Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I have looked at the manual and tried all the options regarding the speaker on/off, have verified that there is light coming out of the cable, verified the cable and the sound bar works by attaching them to a CD player. I have talked to both LG tech help and the sound bar folks and have had no luck. LG recommended that I have a repairman come out and look at the TV as there must be something wrong with the TV. I am not willing to spend the money to have them come out and tell me that there is nothing wrong with my TV. I could ask Santa for another TV but I hate to spend the money when this one works fine. I guess I'll live with no soundbar.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
what settings have you used on your sound bar? It has to agree with what the TV is sending otherwise you will likely get nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement