Large screens & "HD" cable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By chunon
  • 2 Post By Birddoggin
  • 3 Post By chunon

Old 12-15-2015, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Large screens & "HD" cable

I just moved up from a 52" to a 75" and I'm really noticing that a lot of the "HD" cable channels leave a lot to be desired. For those with Samsung TVs, have you found a solution to this? Maybe using Digital Clean View? What's the difference between the 'high' setting and the 'auto' setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 708
The larger the panel, the more apparent the source issues. If blu-ray movies look fine and it's just your cable/sat channels, then it's more than likely a source (cable/sat) issue. Digital Clean View is just an artificial enhancement that may improve pq but a lot just disable it because it doesn't really do a whole lot. Just try it both ways for a while and see if you see an improvement.
Ph8te likes this.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I experienced the same thing and I only went from a 46 to 55 incher. I don't want to imagine how bad my cable would look on a 75 inch screen.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
I just moved up from a 52" to a 75" and I'm really noticing that a lot of the "HD" cable channels leave a lot to be desired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The larger the panel, the more apparent the source issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post
I experienced the same thing and I only went from a 46 to 55 incher. I don't want to imagine how bad my cable would look on a 75 inch screen.
I agree.

It has to do with "Pixel Density". Since a smaller screen size 1080p TV has the exact same amount of vertical (1080) and horizontal (1920) pixels as a larger screen size 1080p TV, each pixel in the smaller screen TV will be smaller. Stated differently, it will have a higher "pixel density" (more pixels per square inch) than the larger screen size TV.

As a result, the picture quality on a smaller screen size TV will be better than on a larger screen size TV.

Quote:
For those with Samsung TVs, have you found a solution to this? Maybe using Digital Clean View?
"Digital Clean View" reduces static and ghosting caused by a weak signal.

You might want to try turning on "MPEG Noise Filter" instead.

"MPEG Noise Filter" reduces MPEG noise and improves video quality. It might improve "low resolution"/"low quality" content.

Richard
Old 12-15-2015, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I agree.

It has to do with "Pixel Density". Since a smaller screen size 1080p TV has the exact same amount of vertical (1080) and horizontal (1920) pixels as a larger screen size 1080p TV, each pixel in the smaller screen TV will be smaller. Stated differently, it will have a higher "pixel density" (more pixels per square inch) than the larger screen size TV.

As a result, the picture quality on a smaller screen size TV will be better than on a larger screen size TV.

"Digital Clean View" reduces static and ghosting caused by a weak signal.

You might want to try turning on "MPEG Noise Filter" instead.

"MPEG Noise Filter" reduces MPEG noise and improves video quality. It might improve "low resolution"/"low quality" content.

Richard
Thanks, I'll try the mpeg filter, too. I wasn't sure which would be better. The Digital Clean seems to help, but don't know if 'auto' or 'high' is a better choice.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Thanks, I'll try the mpeg filter, too. I wasn't sure which would be better. The Digital Clean seems to help, but don't know if 'auto' or 'high' is a better choice.

That I don't know. (I've never used it.)

If I was actually going to use it I would probably put it on "High".

Just experiment with both.

Richard
Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:
I just moved up from a 52" to a 75" and I'm really noticing that a lot of the "HD" cable channels leave a lot to be desired. For those with Samsung TVs, have you found a solution to this? Maybe using Digital Clean View? What's the difference between the 'high' setting and the 'auto' setting?

No offense since you are new to posting in the forum but not every question you have merits a thread of its own, you should be posting in the Owners thread for your set. Noticed multiple threads in both this forum and the calibration forum. I have been a member here for 7 years and have created maybe 3 threads. It clutters up the board imo. You have 24 threads just since November 30th btw.
gomo657 likes this.

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866

Last edited by chunon; 12-16-2015 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll keep in mind, but there isn't much of an "owner's thread" for my set. I started one several weeks ago since I couldn't find one at all, but it's just beginning to grow.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll keep in mind, but there isn't much of an "owner's thread" for my set. I started one several weeks ago since I couldn't find one at all, but it's just beginning to grow.

At the very least you should utilize the search tools to see if your questions has been asked previously, in many cases it has already been discussed in detail.

55EG9100 calibrated by Chad_B
55ST60
Time Warner Cable/Oppo 103d/ Sony XT1 Soundbase/Harmony 650
Calman Enthusiast/Chromapure Standard with Auto Cal
My JS9500 Calibration review(CHADB)http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post36534866
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
It would have been helpful if you indicated your TV's model number which can result in more pointed suggestions.

Also, "a lot of cable channels" could mean anything as some are much worse than others, especially on a gigantic TV. If you said "NBCSN looks like ass compared to CBSSN" then everybody would know that it's because of NBCSN's astoundingly poor broadcast quality, and your larger TV is simply magnifying the bad picture.

How does the picture look when viewing 1080i broadcast channels over an Antenna? And how does that compare to the same channels via Cable?

How does the picture look when watching good Blu-Ray movies?

Who is your cable provider (signal quality varies greatly here)?

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 12-16-2015, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
It would have been helpful if you indicated your TV's model number which can result in more pointed suggestions.

Also, "a lot of cable channels" could mean anything as some are much worse than others, especially on a gigantic TV. If you said "NBCSN looks like ass compared to CBSSN" then everybody would know that it's because of NBCSN's astoundingly poor broadcast quality, and your larger TV is simply magnifying the bad picture.

How does the picture look when viewing 1080i broadcast channels over an Antenna? And how does that compare to the same channels via Cable?

How does the picture look when watching good Blu-Ray movies?

Who is your cable provider (signal quality varies greatly here)?

It's very channel dependent (I have TWC). I've only had the TV a few days, but I notice channels like Fox News don't look so great. I had the debate on CNN last night briefly, and it actually looked pretty good. I can turn on Digital Clean View, which seems to help with HD cable, but then I'd have to turn it off every time I watch a blu-ray. My TV has per-input memory, but everything goes through my AVR, so the TV is only getting one input for everything.

I actually haven't watched a blu-ray on it yet. I watched a DVD last night, and it was pretty good, considering it was a movie form the 70's. My PS4 looks crystal clear, so I'm not really doubting the TV. I'm pretty sure it's just that a lot of the TWC cable channels are crap.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Garbage in, garbage out. If you really want to see something hideous then go view "hd" cable on a 100" front projection image. Nasty.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think most of my problem was source material. I just got done watching a movie on Showtime and the picture was great. There were still some compression artifacts, but not bad overall. I switched back to a cable news channel afterwards, and the picture was awful in comparison (even though it was still an HD channel).
Old 12-16-2015, 09:09 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
TV is a Samsung UN75J6300. It's very channel dependent (I have TWC). I've only had the TV a few days, but I notice channels like Fox News don't look so great. I had the debate on CNN last night briefly, and it actually looked pretty good.
CNN does look pretty good on TWC. HGTV, Food, and CBS (local news) all look good too.

But if you want to see what a pretty bad channel looks like, tune to NBCSN (ch 314). It's really macroblocky wtih fast motion (i watch F1 and IndyCar racing on there, and the occasional Nascar race) and it looks horrible - especially when the camera follows the cars on fast pans. Bull Riding and Motocross look hideous (on my very good 1080p 55" Sony LCD as well as my excellent 55" Panasonic ST60 Plasma).

Quote:
I actually haven't watched a blu-ray on it yet. I watched a DVD last night, and it was pretty good, considering it was a movie form the 70's. My PS4 looks crystal clear, so I'm not really doubting the TV. I'm pretty sure it's just that a lot of the TWC cable channels are crap.
Well afterall it is a really big screen and it will magnify the flaws more than a smaller TV would. NBCSN looks a LOT better on my 42" and 26" TVs even though they're crappier TVs, but the smaller screens hide the flaws better.

Quote:
I can turn on Digital Clean View, which seems to help with HD cable, but then I'd have to turn it off every time I watch a blu-ray. My TV has per-input memory, but everything goes through my AVR, so the TV is only getting one input for everything.
One neat way around this is to get an HDMI splitter (not a switcher) to split the signal from your AVR to two of the TV's HDMI inputs. That way you can set up the HDMI-1 input with Digital Clean View and use that for watching Cable TV, then set up the HDMI-2 input with it's own settings and Digital Clean View OFF, and switch to that input to watch a Blu-Ray.

I'm using a 1x4 HDMI Splitter from my AVR: HDMI-1 with for watching Tivo, HDMi-2 for watching Blu-Ray (with very different settings), HDMI-3 for PC (with PC-specific TV settings). and i use the 4th HDMI port sends a signal to a little 24" Insignia 1080p LCD on my desk to the left of my 24" PC monitor (for the times when i just want to watch some early morning news at my desk without firing up the big TV and surround sound system). This splitter is normally used for simultaneously mirroring the same signal to 4 TVs, but works fine for feeding multiple inputs on the TV. They make 1x2 also.

I have extensive macros on my universal remote that switches the TV to the appropriate HDMI input for each activity, but pressing the TV's input button works too.

Here's the splitter i'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Portabl...+HDMI+Splitter

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's hard to go back to any kind of SD content once you start getting larger screens. Took me a while getting use to 4:3 black bar content on a 70"
Old 12-17-2015, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
CNN does look pretty good on TWC. HGTV, Food, and CBS (local news) all look good too.

But if you want to see what a pretty bad channel looks like, tune to NBCSN (ch 314). It's really macroblocky wtih fast motion (i watch F1 and IndyCar racing on there, and the occasional Nascar race) and it looks horrible - especially when the camera follows the cars on fast pans. Bull Riding and Motocross look hideous (on my very good 1080p 55" Sony LCD as well as my excellent 55" Panasonic ST60 Plasma).

Well afterall it is a really big screen and it will magnify the flaws more than a smaller TV would. NBCSN looks a LOT better on my 42" and 26" TVs even though they're crappier TVs, but the smaller screens hide the flaws better.

One neat way around this is to get an HDMI splitter (not a switcher) to split the signal from your AVR to two of the TV's HDMI inputs. That way you can set up the HDMI-1 input with Digital Clean View and use that for watching Cable TV, then set up the HDMI-2 input with it's own settings and Digital Clean View OFF, and switch to that input to watch a Blu-Ray.

I'm using a 1x4 HDMI Splitter from my AVR: HDMI-1 with for watching Tivo, HDMi-2 for watching Blu-Ray (with very different settings), HDMI-3 for PC (with PC-specific TV settings). and i use the 4th HDMI port sends a signal to a little 24" Insignia 1080p LCD on my desk to the left of my 24" PC monitor (for the times when i just want to watch some early morning news at my desk without firing up the big TV and surround sound system). This splitter is normally used for simultaneously mirroring the same signal to 4 TVs, but works fine for feeding multiple inputs on the TV. They make 1x2 also.

I have extensive macros on my universal remote that switches the TV to the appropriate HDMI input for each activity, but pressing the TV's input button works too.

Here's the splitter i'm using:

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Portabl...+HDMI+Splitter

Thanks. That splitter is a great idea. Believe it or not, I have one just lying around. I bought it when I thought I was getting a projector, but then I went the big TV route instead. I'll give that a shot if I find I'm needing to use Digital Clean a lot.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 223
The sad truth is that many of the "HD" channels are just simply garbage quality. It's pathetic that you even have to pay extra for them in the year 2015 (almost 2016). Funny how even on the HD channels, many of the commercials are in nasty, muddy, grainy SD.

While some of the HD channels ARE superb, not all "HD" channels are created equally as some shouldn't even qualify as HD with how lousy they look. As sad above, the old saying remains true: "Garbage in = Garbage Out."
Old 12-17-2015, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
The sad truth is that many of the "HD" channels are just simply garbage quality. It's pathetic that you even have to pay extra for them in the year 2015 (almost 2016). Funny how even on the HD channels, many of the commercials are in nasty, muddy, grainy SD.

While some of the HD channels ARE superb, not all "HD" channels are created equally as some shouldn't even qualify as HD with how lousy they look. As sad above, the old saying remains true: "Garbage in = Garbage Out."
Yep, totally agree. I've seen a lot of commercials with low PQ, but it's funny how some of them look amazing. Whatever show is being broadcast could look terrible, but then the commercials come on and look wonderful.

I wonder if 4K would make the "bad" cable channels look any better on the bigger screen?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked: 3474
Just as a heads up to the OP of this is a 2015 set, then there is a thread for this model series "2015 Samsung 6300". Your only problem may be finding enough owners to reply as it seems this may not be a popular model.

Sent from nowhere
Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
No offense since you are new to posting in the forum but not every question you have merits a thread of its own, you should be posting in the Owners thread for your set. Noticed multiple threads in both this forum and the calibration forum. I have been a member here for 7 years and have created maybe 3 threads. It clutters up the board imo. You have 24 threads just since November 30th btw.
I completely disagree with this.

His questions aren't necessarily specific to his set. They have to do with HD "cable" video quality on larger TVs. I took the time to read this thread because of his thread title and because I experienced the same thing with Dish Network when upgrading from a 58 inch TV to a 70 inch TV.

I never would have read this if it would have been in an owners thread, especially since I don't own the same TV, but I do have the same questions.

I sometimes find owners threads useless, mainly due to the information overkill. Looking at the first three owners threads now, I see they have 10K, 6k and 1800 posts. Seriously? 10,000 posts? That's way too much information. (Yes, I know how to use the search function.)

All I wanted to read about today was HD cable/sat video quality on 70-75 inch TV sets, so I scrolled through the thread titles until I found something relevant. So thanks to milehighou for starting this thread.
tortoise and THX1720 like this.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

His questions aren't necessarily specific to his set. They have to do with HD "cable" video quality on larger TVs. I took the time to read this thread because of his thread title and because I experienced the same thing with Dish Network when upgrading from a 58 inch TV to a 70 inch TV.

I never would have read this if it would have been in an owners thread, especially since I don't own the same TV, but I do have the same questions.

I sometimes find owners threads useless, mainly due to the information overkill. Looking at the first three owners threads now, I see they have 10K, 6k and 1800 posts. Seriously? 10,000 posts? That's way too much information. (Yes, I know how to use the search function.)

All I wanted to read about today was HD cable/sat video quality on 70-75 inch TV sets, so I scrolled through the thread titles until I found something relevant. So thanks to milehighou for starting this thread.
You have your opinion I have mine, 24 threads in less than 3 weeks is excessive imo.
Otto Pylot, Ph8te and denpom like this.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ I agree. He has posts all over the place about his tv.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddoggin View Post

Thanks, Birddoggin.

I'm on many different forums (not just AVS), and it seems there are two kinds of posters. The ones who like everything in one gigantic thread, and the ones who like many threads. I fall into the latter category. IMO, the forums are here at ask questions.

Some people like to always point out that there is a search function (which I'm well aware of), but most times, the search functions on the forum website are awful. I usually resort to:

"whatever I'm searching for" site:avsforum.com

I've read many old threads, but that's the problem. They're so old that I don't want to "resurrect" them from the dead. Plus, tech changes fast, so a lot of that old info may be out of date. I typically always search first, but if I can't find a satisfactory answer, I post.

There is the owner's thread, but like someone else mentioned, there's not much action in that one yet. I guess no one cares about this TV since it's not a fancy 4K model.

Finally, I have been posting a lot more than usual lately, but that's because I just got a new TV Whether it was 24 threads or whatever, they were mostly on different topics, and they were all things I couldn't find answered well enough anywhere else. There are over 52,000 threads in the LCD Flat Panel section alone, so apparently I'm not the only one who actively creates them

Last edited by milehighou; 12-17-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Yeah my OTA channels have the same noise in the picture you see from cable. Some channels and programming are worse than others.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^ My OTA channels don't. In fact they quite often look much better than our neighbor's cable.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^^^ My OTA channels don't. In fact they quite often look much better than our neighbor's cable.
They look better than cable which is more heavily compressed but I have never seen an OTA channel on a 4k TV that didn't show some artifacts. I notice it most around text on news programs and fast motion like sports.

It is more apparent on my Samsung JS9000 4k TV than my Sony W900A 1080p TV.

Last edited by cmdrdredd; 12-17-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
They look better than cable which is more heavily compressed but I have never seen an OTA channel on a 4k TV that didn't show some artifacts. I notice it most around text on news programs and fast motion like sports.

It is more apparent on my Samsung JS9000 4k TV than my Sony W900A 1080p TV.
Can't argue with that, however I have a neighbor with a 55" 4k and his OTA looks about as good as my 1080p as far as pq goes. There are some artefacts but it's not bad at all.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can't argue with that, however I have a neighbor with a 55" 4k and his OTA looks about as good as my 1080p as far as pq goes. There are some artefacts but it's not bad at all.
It's not terrible, but it's for sure not crystal clear. I notice everything like that though while nobody else that is watching has mentioned it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement