Need advice before returning Samsung UN40H5003AFXZA - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NCDaveD

post #1 of 3 Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need advice before returning Samsung UN40H5003AFXZA

I bought a 40" Samsung 5003 in December at Best Buy and I think I lost the "Samsung display lottery" that others have described. This unit might have one of the made in China displays that Samsung has been using in their non-smart tv's - it's version IF02. The display quality is like an off-brand set: poor contrast and detail, lack of depth, highly variable color quality, very poor shadows, and overall murkiness. I am using an amplified Mohu leaf antenna, and have tried every adjustment setting.

I'd first purchased a 32" Samsung at Best Buy; it had a gorgeous, crisp display but it was too small for a living room and I exchanged it for the 40". I have until January 15 for another exchange; will all of these models have this particular display? Could it just be a bad one and the IF02 version is OK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-17-2016, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Exchanged it & found a good one - LF04

I returned the 40" IF02 to Best Buy on January 15th and checked the end labels of the twelve boxed units on the shelf. Eleven labels had version IF02, which must be from Black Friday; I took the one box with version LF04 and am very pleased with this unit. If this isn't a Samsung display it must be the next best equivalent. The screen is crisp and has rich natural color and good detail. People don't disappear into the background in dark scenes, and the contrast is more even. I kept the Standard mode and the only thing I adjusted was lowering the brightness and color by a tiny amount.

I'd read that digits ending in 4 are the latest release. Is this a January 2016 model? Does anyone know who makes this?
post #3 of 3 Old 01-24-2016, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks so much for posting this. I'm looking to replace a 27" CRT with the 40" 5003 and have just about gone blind reading everything I can find on 40" flat screen LED's. It seems all of them seem to have one problem or another, and this really helps me feel I can get one w/a minimum of problems. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.
WD2016 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

taboola here