AVS Forum banner

Top Picks of CES 2016

15K views 198 replies 61 participants last post by  beerninja 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are the top quality picks for CES 2016 so far and best guess street pricing. Trying to stick to 65" and up and OLED or True FALD for high picture quality. Please add any other info or corrections you come across.

4K OLED

LG 77G6 (Slim, 540 nits, DV, Soundbar, 3D, Flat) $20000
LG 65G6 (Slim, 540 nits, DV, Soundbar, 3D, Flat) $8000
LG 65E6 (540 nits, DV, 3D, Flat) $7000
LG 65B6 (540 nits, DV, Flat) $5000

True FALD

TCL 65X1 Series (288 zones, 1000 nits, DolbyVision, Anti-Glare, curved) $3000
Panasonic 65DX900 (512? (128x4) zones, 1000 nits, Anti-blooming, flat) $4500
Hisense 65H10C (300 zones, 1000+ nits, 100% DCI, 2nd half 2016, curved) $2500
Hisense 65M9800U 8K (244 zones, 8K res, HDR10, June in the UK, Flat) $4000
Sharp 70N9100U (192 zones, 800 nits, 90% DCI, Flat) $3000
Sony 75X940D (128 or more zones, 1000 nits, XHDR, flat) $7000
Vizio 65R (384 zones, 800 nits, DV, Flat) $6000

Prototype/Unreleased/MIA

Vizio 65/70/75/80/85P (? zones, ? nits, ? DV, Flat) $????
Philips 658600 (32 zone, 1000nit, to thin to be true FALD) $1700
JVC 85
Sony 85 Prototype (1000 zone, 4000 nits) $??????
Samsung 65/78/88 KS9800
Samsung 88KS9800 (only true FALD from Samsung, ? zones, 1000+nits, Moth-Eye Anti-glare, curved) $20000

U-Ray Players

Samsung UBD-K8500 (entry-level, Feb/March) $399
Panasonic DMP-UB900 (premium, 2nd quarter 2016) $599
Phillips BDP7501 (small form, May 2016) $399

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are the top quality picks for CES 2016 so far with best guess street pricing. Trying to stick to 65" and up and OLED or True FALD for high picture quality. Please add any other info or corrections you come across.

4K OLED

LG 77G6 (Slim, 540 nits, DV, Soundbar, Flat) $20000
LG 65G6 (Slim, 540 nits, DV, Soundbar, Flat) $9000
LG 65EG (540 nits, DV, Flat) $7000
LG 65B6 (540 nits, DV, Flat) $5000
Skyworth 65S9300 (540 nits, DV, Flat) $3500 (China only)

True FALD

TCL 65X1 Series (288 zones, 1000 nits, DolbyVision, Anti-Glare, curved) $3000
Panasonic 65DX9000 (300 zones, 1000 nits, Anti-blooming, flat) $5000
Hisense 65? ULED 3.0 (522 zones, 1000+ nits, 100% DCI, 2nd half 2016) $2500
Sharp 70N9000/9000U (192 zones, 800 nits, 90% DCI, Flat and Curved) $3000
Sony 75X94D (128 or more zones, 1000 nits, XHDR, flat) $7000

Prototype/Unreleased/MIA

Vizio 65R (384 zones, 800 nits, DV, Flat) $6000
Vizio 65/70/75/80/85P (? zones, ? nits, ? DV, Flat) $????
Sony 85X950D (500 zone, 4000 nits) $??????
Samsung 88KS9800 (only true FALD from Samsung, ? zones, 1000+nits, Moth-Eye Anti-glare, curved) $20000

U-Ray Players

Samsung UBD-K8500 ($399 entry-level) Feb/March
Panasonic DMP-UB900 ($800 premium) 2nd quarter 2016
Phillips BDP7501 (? low to mid price) ?
Good thread.

Small typo on the OLEDs (EG should be E6)

If you are going to include Hsense's 'ULED' nonsense, shouldn't also include TCL's 'QLED'?

And consider including 3D as an important-enough feature to include in your summary list ;).

#6 · (Edited)
Some pics to past the time.

TCL X1 Series: Are they beaming a spotlight directly on it to show the anti-glare tech?

Skyworth 65S9/65S9300: 4K OLED with DolbyVision

LG 65G6: 4K 540 nits DV 3D

Hisense M7000U? (522 zones)

Hisense 8K Prototype

Sony 85" Master Drive Prototype: 4000 nits, Impressive but will it ever be an affordable and real product?

#9 ·
Skyworth doesn't sell in the US yet and I don't think they have any immediate plans to do so. Also, something may be getting lost in translation that seem to happen a lot with the Chinese info because they seem to reuse model numbers or use similar ones. On the Skyworth webpage there is a 65S9300 and 65S9 both 4K OLEDs. Specs seem nearly the same also, but the 65S9 is twice the price.

#8 ·
522 zones on the Hisense??!!

is that accurate?
if that TV is the real deal that should be the buy of the year
what could street be..$1800 or so?

Warren

#15 ·
The 940c put to rest the impact of an apparent lack of zones. It's the zones together with the software to control those zones. In fact the zones are so well implemented on the 940c, that early reviews miscounted because they had difficulty picking up where one zone ended and the other began.

So I'd suspect the 940D to be another excellent performer.

#11 ·
There is some confusion on that Skyworth model. A DV capable version was announced last month. The 55S9300/65S9300 are older models launched in August. They both look identical.

You'll need Google Translate for these links.

Press release for the new DV capable S9 announced 12/21

65S9300 specs page
No DV mentioned. Launched in August. Price around $3,965. Likely very similar to the EF9500.

55S9300 review
No DV mentioned. Launched in August

An LG interview mentioned 2015 OLEDs are around 400 nits and the 2016 OLEDs are 600 nits

#14 · (Edited)
According to this article/video of the Panasonic DX900 at Avforums, it is going to have 512 zones, not just 300.

This tv may be the one to beat in the LCD arena if they don't screw something up as it should have the most accurate colour just like the CX850 did and all those zones should give it incredible contrast. The 65CX850 with only 30 zones was very good for black level and dimming performance, seemingly only bettered by the 940c and JS9500.

Two people have commented on seeing it and said it looked awesome even compared to an OLED studio monitor. Apparently it may also be released by the end of this month in Europe so if that is the case, it'll be good to see the feedback/reviews and hopefully that means it will come to North America by maybe March/April rather than the late June/early July of the CX850.

Will be interesting to see if Panasonic USA actually sells it in stores rather than just online...assuming it comes out here in North America. Also, the price better not be too high or I'd figure most would just go for the LG OLED set (by the way, I hate how it is pronounced as a word since it should follow LED and be pronounced O L E D) instead of this. I know I would if similar priced and the LGs don't have any of the previous issues.

The honeycomb feature (each zone is inside its sort of own casing to help with potential haloing) sounds pretty snazzy as well as long as that doesn't cause any visible grid type issues when all the LEDs are lit up and there are pans or having the zone cutoff area be too visible. The algorithm in the AX900 and CX850 both work well and avoid a lot of haloing so I'd imagine they wouldn't ruin this for their new flagship.

#27 ·
According to this article/video of the Panasonic DX900 at Avforums, it is going to have 512 zones, not just 300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6V81ToBaA

This tv may be the one to beat in the LCD arena if they don't screw something up as it should have the most accurate colour just like the CX850 did and all those zones should give it incredible contrast. The 65CX850 with only 30 zones was very good for black level and dimming performance, seemingly only bettered by the 940c and JS9500.

Two people have commented on seeing it and said it looked awesome even compared to an OLED studio monitor. Apparently it may also be released by the end of this month in Europe so if that is the case, it'll be good to see the feedback/reviews and hopefully that means it will come to North America by maybe March/April rather than the late June/early July of the CX850.

Will be interesting to see if Panasonic USA actually sells it in stores rather than just online...assuming it comes out here in North America. Also, the price better not be too high or I'd figure most would just go for the LG OLED set (by the way, I hate how it is pronounced as a word since it should follow LED and be pronounced O L E D) instead of this. I know I would if similar priced and the LGs don't have any of the previous issues.

The honeycomb feature (each zone is inside its sort of own casing to help with potential haloing) sounds pretty snazzy as well as long as that doesn't cause any visible grid type issues when all the LEDs are lit up and there are pans or having the zone cutoff area be too visible. The algorithm in the AX900 and CX850 both work well and avoid a lot of haloing so I'd imagine they wouldn't ruin this for their new flagship.
Do we know whether this 2016 Panasonic FALD LED/LCD is VA or IPS?

#21 ·
Only top model was certified they said the rest of tv's will go for testing.

#23 ·

Is the $20k a WAG or was that announced?

On the Sony, I haven't followed market pricing on the 940C...did it ever hit $5k, and if so when would we think the 740D would get there?

#24 ·
OP, thanks for putting this together.

Reactions: Z1-B
#28 ·
Trying to stick to ... True FALD for high picture quality.
Condemning edge-lit tech has become a habit. Reviewers judged the 2015 edge-lit JS9000 as having almost as good a picture as the FALD JS9500, and Samsung claims 1000 nits peak brightness for its premium 2016 edge-lit TVs, which is a considerable improvement. I don't know of any reason in principle why edge-lit sets can't eventually compete with FALD, so let's not be hasty.

#32 ·
I'll give you one "in principle".

You can't locally dim a screen with edge lighting. Period.

You can -- at best -- create dimmable rectangles than run half the width of the screen. I don't know what the HDR spec requires, but I can tell you no version of why I imagine or understand HDR to be will ever be even slightly technologically plausible with an edge-lit TV. Period.

#47 ·

If this is right, then I would not consider the LG to be a remotely competitive product. There is no way there is $13K performance difference between these two similarly-sized sets by any objective standard, assuming there even are substantial objective performance differences. Ugg.

#50 ·
On this whole "edge lit is inferior" discussion, I would say that as currently implemented it is. However, I think that future development may show otherwise if it continues to be developed, continues to be cost effective vs. FALD (i.e. if FALD don't come down) AND if OLED prices don't come down (and QC go up...)

I think of things like the Kindle Voyage, whose light is at an edge, yet is "front lit" through optical trickery. No, it's not an attempt at 'local' dimming/lighting, but it is an attempt to get light to do things and go places in a somewhat counter intuitive manner.

Said another way...who knows? But until then, I'm OLED all the way, and possibly FALD if 75"+ OLED doesn't fall in price fast enough for me.

#52 ·
I think of things like the Kindle Voyage, whose light is at an edge, yet is "front lit" through optical trickery.
The Kindle also illustrates that the trickery takes a while to get right. The first Kindle Paperwhite I bought had distracting light traces beaming up from the bottom edge, where the lights were, and many customers complained. The next version had much less visible light traces. With the current Voyage, I'm not aware at all where the screen light is coming from.

#54 ·
I just got a 65" JS8500 for $2k I'm still waiting to come in. I don't really feel the burning need for a TV now even though I'm on an ancient 46" LNT4665. It was an impulse buy over the price, so I figured if I saw anything interesting at CES I'd just cancel it and buy in November. I won't spend more than $3k on a set. This year's lineup looks pretty flat overall, but that Panasonic looks pretty damn interesting and maybe worth waiting for. Think I should cancel, or keep the Sammy and just make a quicker jump to OLED in a few years?

#56 · (Edited)
Well, based on what I've read from all the people here who are far more knowledgeable about this stuff than me it looks like I have 4 options if I want to upgrade my 60" Pioneer Elite 151FD KURO this year:

Sony 75" X940D
Sharp 70" N9000
LG 65" 65B6
Panasonic 65DX900(if it becomes available here)

I really wanted to move up from a 60" set to something in the 75" range so if I go that big it looks like the Sony would be my only option. However, I'm still wondering how this whole HDR-10/Dolby Vision thing is going to play out, especially with the 4k Blu-ray roll out. I hate the thought of sitting on the sidelines for another year so most likely I'll be getting one of the sets listed above....just gonna have to figure out which one. :eek:

#69 ·
IMO there is no doubt that LG won CES. Their LCDs didn't impress me much but their OLEDs have gone from great to fantastic. 99% P3 color, very nice exterior design, great brightness (600 nits, which matches the peak brightness of the JS9000) and of course perfect blacks. If that wasn't enough they also have Dolby Vision (and HDR 10) which means HDR content from both streaming and physical media. They made all the right moves this year and it may just be enough to sway me from an LCD fan to an OLED fan.

That being said, I am still concerned about the life expectancy of OLED, the panel issues and the burn in. If those problems have been addressed, then I may be the owner of an E6 or G6 this year.

Sony also had a pretty good CES and its nice to see them finally drop the big side speakers. Samsung on the other hand, really disappointed me. I've been somewhat of a Samsung fanboy lately but I have to admit, their new lineup is not much of an upgrade over last year. In fact, last years JS9500 would probably be better PQ wise than everything they have shown so far (supposedly they have a new FALD set but we have yet to actually see it). Also, not having Dolby Vision support could be a bad move if DV ends up being the only option for HDR on streaming.

#73 ·
IMO there is no doubt that LG won CES. Their LCDs didn't impress me much but their OLEDs have gone from great to fantastic. 99% P3 color, very nice exterior design, great brightness (600 nits, which matches the peak brightness of the JS9000) and of course perfect blacks. If that wasn't enough they also have Dolby Vision (and HDR 10) which means HDR content from both streaming and physical media. They made all the right moves this year and it may just be enough to sway me from an LCD fan to an OLED fan.

That being said, I am still concerned about the life expectancy of OLED, the panel issues and the burn in. If those problems have been addressed, then I may be the owner of an E6 or G6 this year.

Sony also had a pretty good CES and its nice to see them finally drop the big side speakers. Samsung on the other hand, really disappointed me. I've been somewhat of a Samsung fanboy lately but I have to admit, their new lineup is not much of an upgrade over last year. In fact, last years JS9500 would probably be better PQ wise than everything they have shown so far (supposedly they have a new FALD set but we have yet to actually see it). Also, not having Dolby Vision support could be a bad move if DV ends up being the only option for HDR on streaming.

I agree with this. I was happy Samsung announced motheye for their flagship tv though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.