'Smart LED' feature on Samsungs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By eagle_2
  • 1 Post By JPeffer12

post #1 of 15 Old 01-13-2016, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
'Smart LED' feature on Samsungs

I wanted to see what everyone who has a Samsung TV thought about this feature. Do you use it and if so what level do you set it at? I keep seeing conflicting answers about it. When I have it on the black levels are definitely better but I've seen where some people say it's better to have it off but then my blacks don't look quite as good. Would anybody suggest a way to have this feature off and deepen the blacks a little more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeffer12 View Post
I wanted to see what everyone who has a Samsung TV thought about this feature. Do you use it and if so what level do you set it at? I keep seeing conflicting answers about it. When I have it on the black levels are definitely better but I've seen where some people say it's better to have it off but then my blacks don't look quite as good. Would anybody suggest a way to have this feature off and deepen the blacks a little more?

You should most definitely turn on "Smart LED".

This setting controls the brightness of individual areas on the screen (the TV’s "local dimming" feature) to maximize contrast automatically.

You paid extra for a TV with Local Dimming, so use it.

I have mine set to “High”. However, some users prefer the "Standard" setting.

Richard
post #3 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Smart LED enabled is critical on any Samsung tv. The tv will not operate as designed and intended without it enabled. It controls the LEDs and is the only way to reach the blacks that the tv is capable of.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

I figured it was best to keep it enabled. I've just been reading some reviews lately and have seen some people say to keep it off. But I guess it's personal preference any way.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-27-2016, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

The problem I seem to run into with this feature is that in certain parts of things I watch I can see what looks like the different parts of the screen trying to dim. But when I turn it off I don't have that issue. Anybody else have this happen on theirs or know of a way to have the Smart LED feature turned on and not experience this?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

Just trying to get my settings in order since I'm not able to do a full calibration at the moment.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
The problem I seem to run into with this feature is that in certain parts of things I watch I can see what looks like the different parts of the screen trying to dim. But when I turn it off I don't have that issue. Anybody else have this happen on theirs or know of a way to have the Smart LED feature turned on and not experience this?
This is the nature of Smart LED. It's not perfect. At times, you can see the screen is attempting to dim certain areas of the screen but it sometimes results in inconsistency. It depends widely on what's happening on screen and how the software attempts to apply local dimming. For the most part though it does a good job and should be enabled.
faulkton likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:

What Samsung model do you have?

Can you post your settings?

Richard
post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

I have the 65hu9000. I just copied the settings from cnet cause I figured that was a good starting point. They have the smart led set to standard. Ill post the link down below to their settings.

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...ettings-622431
post #10 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 11:23 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
I have the 65hu9000. I just copied the settings from cnet cause I figured that was a good starting point. They have the smart led set to standard. Ill post the link down below to their settings.

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...ettings-622431
Hey J,

I believe those CNet settings are a pretty good starting point.

However, I never recommend simply "copying" someone else's picture settings since every TV (even the same model), every individual pair of eyes, and every viewing environment is different. Settings that might work really well for one person on his TV might not look the same on your TV.

Additionally, many of the individual settings will be a matter of personal preference. CNet, like many "expert" always recommend turning most of the "advanced" settings (e.g. "Dynamic Contrast", "Black Tone", etc. off). You might want to turn some of those on.

However, that being said, another person's picture settings or calibration numbers can be a good starting point. Then you can simply "tweak" the settings to your liking.

The ideal solution, as you know, is to have your TV professionally calibrated. You can also download a "calibration" DVD to help with adjusting the settings yourself.

For a "General Guide" and "Tips" on what each picture setting does and how to properly adjust it, click the "JS Series Picture Settings" link in my signature below.

Although these are for the 2015 JS Series TVs, most of the recommendations will still apply.

Richard
post #11 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
The problem I seem to run into with this feature is that in certain parts of things I watch I can see what looks like the different parts of the screen trying to dim.

Try to play around with your other settings first.

Then if the dimming effect still bothers you too much, try setting "Smart LED" on the less aggressive "Low" setting.

Richard
post #12 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for giving me those settings you posted. They really did help out.
King Richard likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-07-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 117
What's the preferred setting, low, standard or high? Does it just get more aggressive as it's turned up? High sounds best, but not if it introduces artifacts like some other "features" do when they are maxed out.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
What's the preferred setting, low, standard or high? Does it just get more aggressive as it's turned up? High sounds best, but not if it introduces artifacts like some other "features" do when they are maxed out.
Respectively (imho): the preferred setting is high; yes it gets more aggressive; high is best despite artifacts.

Greg Lee
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2016, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'll have to measure it with a meter, but I was switching between the settings last night, and high actually seems to have a slightly worse black level. Low and standard are definitely better than off. When switching to those, I see the screen darken. When I go from standard to high, the screen flashes brighter for a second, so that makes it hard to compare. To me eyes, high does not seem any better than standard.

It's hard to believe that Rtings recommends turning smart LED off. While it may not be perfect, any improvement is better than nothing. With it turned off, blacks really aren't that impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page