What does this sound like to you? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2016, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What does this sound like to you?

My friend has a problem with his TV periodically. This is what happens. The TV goes black. When it happens the tv is black then a message pops up in the middle of the screen that says, searching for signal, it stays up a couple seconds then goes black again and then sometimes the screen turns a grainy two tone green color. Does it sound like the HDMI cable or the cable box receiver going bad? He got a new cable box and that is when it started. It may still be the cable though. If you know please let me know. He is a quadriplegic and this is one of his enjoyments in life and I want to help him remedy this situation as soon as possible. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2016, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 1774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingeborgdot View Post
My friend has a problem with his TV periodically. This is what happens. The TV goes black. When it happens the tv is black then a message pops up in the middle of the screen that says, searching for signal, it stays up a couple seconds then goes black again and then sometimes the screen turns a grainy two tone green color. Does it sound like the HDMI cable or the cable box receiver going bad? He got a new cable box and that is when it started. It may still be the cable though. If you know please let me know. He is a quadriplegic and this is one of his enjoyments in life and I want to help him remedy this situation as soon as possible. Thanks.
First, make sure it is not a loose connection.

Try a different HDMI port (if available). Also, try to blow in the ports to make sure there is no dust in it.

If this doesn't work, try swapping out the HDMI cable. (Cable are cheap.)

Also, see if the TV is okay when playing a DVD or Blu-ray disc. (This will eliminate the TV being the problem.)

Check the output settings on the cable box and the input settings on the TV.

If none of those fixes work, and it's not a problem with the TV, then it must be a problem with the cable box. Exchange it.

Good luck!

Richard
post #3 of 10 Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When you say output settings of the cable box and the input settings of the TV. What are you meaning when you say the output settings of the cable box?
post #4 of 10 Old 01-22-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When you say output settings of the cable box and the input settings of the TV. What are you meaning when you say the output settings of the cable box?

Unfortunately I don't have a cable box, I have Satellite, however, I assume there must be a pop-up menu where you can adjust and change settings on the cable box.

I just meant to make sure everything is set properly.

Richard
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are two screen shots that he took.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no sig.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1217738   Click image for larger version

Name:	scramble.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1217746  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
its either a cable or connector problem. Hdmi connectors aren't the most robust. They have to be seated carefully or damage to the equipment connector is likely and in most cases unrepairable, the board will have to be replaced. Since its a relatively new cable (what was wrong with the other one????), its unlikely to be the cable. Another issue is "gravity"... :-) If the cable is relatively stiff and heavy and the position of the equipment connector is such that the cable is pulling down, it is quite possible that the connection will be poor as it may not be seated properly. Who replaced the cable? If it was someone with little care, then you need to carefully look at the connectors. Hopefully, the tv has more than one port, try another.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's not a new cable it is still the old one. The new one is on its way and will be replaced this weekend. What I see does not indicate it is the TV right?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
What I see does not indicate it is the TV right?

I would agree, especially when you say this...

Quote:
He got a new cable box and that is when it started.

The fact that the issue started when he got a new cable box tells you its not the TV.

It is either the cable box, or a poor connection on the HDMI cable from the box to the TV. Unless the HDMI cable was damaged when getting a new cable box, I don't think it would be the HDMI cable itself causing the problem.

Good luck.

I turn the sharpness on my TV all the way up, because that's how I like my picture... real sharp.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It's not a new cable it is still the old one. The new one is on its way and will be replaced this weekend. What I see does not indicate it is the TV right?
Did you try my suggestions above?

If it was the TV, that would be quite a coincidence since you said it was okay before getting the new cable box (unless the HDMI connection on the TV was damaged).

If the brand new HDMI cable doesn't fix the problem, try connecting another component (such as a DVD player) and see if that works (you must have a DVD/Blu-ray player you can try). If that works fine, than you know the problem is with the new cable box. Exchange it.

Richard
post #10 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Is there an AVR used?

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page