Vizio "M" series and Retail display tricks - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Liam Gray
  • 1 Post By Rasfuten

post #1 of 4 Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Vizio "M" series and Retail display tricks

So I just pulled the trigger on a new TV. I went with the lg65uf9500. I needed a wide viewing angle, we never watch TV with the lights dimmed, and I can't afford an OLED. In the darkened room at Magnolia the black levels and contrast looked fine for my needs, and hopefully will look good in my livingroom as well. In the store the Samsungs looked amazing from a very small sweet spot and then looked lousy as soon as I got a few feet off center, so I knew they wouldn't cut it at home.

My big question is what is the deal with the Vizio M series? Every review I have read raves about its performance for a budget set, but in the store they all looked dull and lifeless. Colors were less vibrant, image was darker, nothing said "wow". Is this a TV purposely not set to torch mode in the hopes of selling more expensive units? I also noticed that they tend to display them too low or too high so that it's very hard to get a view at the same angle you would be viewing at home.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-26-2016, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As someone who works in the Mag and HT part of Best Buy I can assure you (at my location at least) that all the TVs are set to Vivid/Dynamic/etc. The nice thing about not working on commission is that you aren't inclined to use "retail tricks".

The M series just doesn't have great color reproduction. Don't get me wrong, the set has great contrast and fine motion on the 60"+ versions but the colors are lacking. Right now we have an open box 55" M series in our sound room (the room in Mag with all the speakers). Since we can completely control the lighting in that room I can tell you that the contrast is better than the Samsung 7000 we also have there but the colors are dull in comparison.
player002 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 437
I would not be surprised if the manufatuer demo loops were designed to push the TV to it limits. So these demos might be displaying WCG if the set features it. Put a WCG set next to the Vizio and yea it's going to look dull.

The Vizio M only does 49% of BT.2020. That pretty low for 2015.

Current gear: UN65JS8500 (Main TV), P65-C1(Testing), M40-C2(Guestroom TV), UBD-K8500, I1D3(Using HCFR)
Retired: TH-50PX80U, M55-C2 (Returned)
Duds: 2x XBR-65X930D(bent frame, 3D unwatchable and clouding), P65-C1(Yellow banding, dead pixels), UN65JS8500(blue bleed) UN60J6200 (Returned, dead pixels), M65-C1(3x Defective units, all dead pixel and yellow banding)
post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2016, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also have the UF9500 and love it. Web OS is the best in the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page