Sony 120Hz hack - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-31-2016, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Sony 120Hz hack

Hi,
I bought a X8005C because someone said it supports 120Hz.... well, it does support 120Hz input, but it only shows every second frame (easily seen that RefreshRateMultitool skips every second block).

Now, the input already supports 120Hz... what would be needed to get it to actually draw the input on screen?
I don't know if it is possible but I am assuming that a panel itself is not a limiting factor or can someone give some panel model numbers and spec sheets that say otherwise?
Obviously in can properly process 120Hz input so maybe it is just a setting somewhere, maybe it can be accessed when obtaining root? Or maybe the panel driver is the limiting factor? But if the later (panel driver hardware) is the limiting factor the the refresh rate will already be reduced elsewhere or else the driver would be overloaded, right?

If it is a hardware issue, could the corresponding module be switched with a higher model one? The TV identical as higher end 3D versions (that have to support 120Hz) so I expect that they may have the same hardware but are limited for market variations in other ways. If the hardware is the same, maybe a firmware upgrade could even make the TV into a higher model?

Anyway, please don't reply if you have nothing technical to add. I know i could just buy a higher end model, etc etc. I just would like to know what people know / have already tried in this regard.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-31-2016, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 918
Please read sticky threads that say "read before posting" ...before posting.

Moved to proper section.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-01-2016, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could try to flash the US firmware. However you can only flash newer firmwares - so if you are up to date right now - you need to wait for the next version (and disable auto update in the meantime).
Or try to exchange the EDID.
I once tried out 120hz 1080P via active DisplayPort converter and that worked - must say I did not check if frames were skipped though. I'm 100% sure the panel is 100/120hz - at least on the 55".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
120Hz , hack , Sony
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page