Any current get LED LCD TVs without clouding? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-03-2016, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Any current get LED LCD TVs without clouding?

I have a 65" Samsung J6300, and I have to say, the PQ is pretty darn good. Great contrast, accurate grayscale after calibration and black levels are pretty good. It does have some slight clouding on the right side of the screen, but it's only visible on extremely dark scenes.

From what I've read, even the 7, 8 and 9-series Samsungs have flashlighting and clouding, and they are much more expensive. OLED seems like the way to go, but they have their own issues. They seem to have real problems with vertical banding on the lower end of the grayscale. Another screen issue I've seen with them is uniformity (instead of a white screen, the edges are pink).

It seems to me that the smart thing to do is just deal with the limitations of my current TV, and wait a few years for the OLED kinks to get ironed out, and for the prices to drop.

Finally, my only real reason for going OLED right now would be the perfect blacks, but I think I can "fake out" my eyes with bias lighting and get a similar effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
So by the lack of responses, I'm guessing there aren't any (or very few) LCD TVs with zero clouding. I see it mentioned in all the threads, be it the "budget" models, or the high-end sets.

For those who use bias lighting, how effective was it at reducing/eliminating clouding? I know it will always be there, but if my eyes don't see it anymore, then great. Experimenting with bias lighting is going to be a lot cheaper than buying an OLED TV, which seems to be the only other solution.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighou View Post
So by the lack of responses, I'm guessing there aren't any (or very few) LCD TVs with zero clouding. I see it mentioned in all the threads, be it the "budget" models, or the high-end sets.

For those who use bias lighting, how effective was it at reducing/eliminating clouding? I know it will always be there, but if my eyes don't see it anymore, then great. Experimenting with bias lighting is going to be a lot cheaper than buying an OLED TV, which seems to be the only other solution.
In pitch black room with Bias Lighting I cannot spot any clouding on my Samsung 65JS850D and w/o Bias Lighting its very very minimal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page