Philips Dolby Vision - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-03-2016, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Philips Dolby Vision

The 8600 Series combines Dolby Vision, a high performance visual system that incorporates HDR (High Dynamic Range) and WCG (Wide Color Gamut) picture processing engines to deliver uniquely powerful imaging.
The TVs also support WiFi (ac MIMO), HEVC, VP9, HDMI 2.0a, and HDCP 2.2. 8600 will be available in 55” and 65”.
65” Philips 65PFL8601/F7 - $1,699.99 - July 2016
In addition it covers 82% of the Rec.2020 color gamut, which is more than many major brands’ new TVs. The TV is said to also feature a back-lit local dimming system but there is no information on the number of zones.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1454420460

This is going to set Vizio back, it will be interesting too see what they come out with.

Last edited by 6athome; 02-03-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-03-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
The 8600 Series combines Dolby Vision, a high performance visual system that incorporates HDR (High Dynamic Range) and WCG (Wide Color Gamut) picture processing engines to deliver uniquely powerful imaging.
The TVs also support WiFi (ac MIMO), HEVC, VP9, HDMI 2.0a, and HDCP 2.2. 8600 will be available in 55” and 65”.
65” Philips 65PFL8601/F7 - $1,699.99 - July 2016
In addition it covers 82% of the Rec.2020 color gamut, which is more than many major brands’ new TVs. The TV is said to also feature a back-lit local dimming system but there is no information on the number of zones.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1454420460

This is going to set Vizio back, it will be interesting too see what they come out with.

"The Philips TV brand in the US is licensed by Funai, whereas it is licensed by TP Vision in Europe."

So these are really Funai TVs and have little/nothing to do with Philips.

I thought the rumors were they these TVs were edge-lit?

The release is entitled "Philips' first TV with Dolby Vision coming to the US in July" implying that this is the first TV with Dolby a Vision to launch in the US (which is untrue since the Vizio R65 is already out), so there is at least one innaccuracy contained therein.

We'll just need to wait and see...
post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 7473 Post(s)
Liked: 5426
post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
The release is entitled "Philips' first TV with Dolby Vision coming to the US in July" implying that this is the first TV with Dolby a Vision to launch in the US (which is untrue since the Vizio R65 is already out) ...
That sentence seems to make it pretty clear that it is Philip's first, not the US's first. Maybe there is a different one that implies something different, but that one doesn't to me.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2016, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
"The Philips TV brand in the US is licensed by Funai, whereas it is licensed by TP Vision in Europe."

So these are really Funai TVs and have little/nothing to do with Philips.

I thought the rumors were they these TVs were edge-lit?

The release is entitled "Philips' first TV with Dolby Vision coming to the US in July" implying that this is the first TV with Dolby a Vision to launch in the US (which is untrue since the Vizio R65 is already out), so there is at least one innaccuracy contained therein.

We'll just need to wait and see...
Lost in translation would explain that this is the first Philips Dolby Vision TV. This TV is what I was looking for at CES 2016, the price list at 1699.00 which would equal about 1200.00 on sale. Dolby Vision sets the standard for playback and only top of the line TV'S will be able to play that standard.
QDOT,HDR,WCG and FALD is my standard in a LCD for my next purchase, until OLED competes in price.
Even if the Philips FALD is equal to Vizio 65 inch M series, this TV looks like it will beat the M series and come in at a lower price. The reason I chose FALD LCD over Plasma was the bright light in my house.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Found this review of last years set for the UK: https://www.avforums.com/review/phil...v-review.12316

From the review, it seems like the new US version could be very promising, especially at that price point. Looks like it's time for Vizio to tell us what they've got planned for this summer, they're facing real competition in the low-cost UHD market.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
Lost in translation would explain that this is the first Philips Dolby Vision TV. This TV is what I was looking for at CES 2016, the price list at 1699.00 which would equal about 1200.00 on sale. Dolby Vision sets the standard for playback and only top of the line TV'S will be able to play that standard.
QDOT,HDR,WCG and FALD is my standard in a LCD for my next purchase, until OLED competes in price.
Even if the Philips FALD is equal to Vizio 65 inch M series, this TV looks like it will beat the M series and come in at a lower price. The reason I chose FALD LCD over Plasma was the bright light in my house.

There are serious questions as to whether this is a true FALD or not. Most signs point to no. Too thin and too cheap. Could be some sort of pseudo FALD from AUO, like the new slim Sony X930D. I have it on my Top Picks of CES list, but waiting for confirmation of a true 32 zone FALD.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
There are serious questions as to whether this is a true FALD or not. Most signs point to no. Too thin and too cheap. Could be some sort of pseudo FALD from AUO, like the new slim Sony X930D. I have it on my Top Picks of CES list, but waiting for confirmation of a true 32 zone FALD.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Dolby could be only done by a FALD LCD.Has anyone come across the
Dolby standard specifications?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page