How come no one is talking about this LG tv? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By avdoc
  • 1 Post By ptt660
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
the7mcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 85
How come no one is talking about this LG tv?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ARRCHOM/...ZKDMFQ0Y&psc=1

from my understanding it released this year 2016 and so far it sounds like it meets some of my requirements. For whatever reason Sony and Samsung seem to have a thing last year against releasing 60in and you either had to get something at 55in or 65in but for me and my room a 60 inch fits perfectly.
the7mcs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 02-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Longballsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ARRCHOM/...ZKDMFQ0Y&psc=1

from my understanding it released this year 2016 and so far it sounds like it meets some of my requirements. For whatever reason Sony and Samsung seem to have a thing last year against releasing 60in and you either had to get something at 55in or 65in but for me and my room a 60 inch fits perfectly.
2016's aren't out yet. That is a 65UH8500 which is a 2015 model. No specs on the 2016's though. The pic on Amazon is the same pic of the 2016 models on LG website but different model numbers.

Last edited by Longballsd; 02-06-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Longballsd is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 02-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
 
ttnuagmada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Because it's a given that it will have LG's trademark god-awful contrast ratio and poor motion handling.
ttnuagmada is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 02-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Member
 
tubers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So thin!
tubers is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 11,336
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7986 Post(s)
Liked: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longballsd View Post
2016's aren't out yet. That is a 65UH8500 which is a 2015 model. No specs on the 2016's though. The pic on Amazon is the same pic of the 2016 models on LG website but different model numbers.


It says hdr plus and is clearly a 2016 tv based on the model number.

2015 tvs were "UF"

2016 tvs are. "UH".

But to the OP, these lg led tvs use IPS panels which will have grayish blacks and a very bad contrast ratio. Most here prefer as deep blacks as possible.

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN


Review of KS9800vsJS9500 w/side by side pix: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45720113

Last edited by ray0414; 02-06-2016 at 11:51 PM.
ray0414 is online now  
post #6 of 26 Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
the7mcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
It says hdr plus and is clearly a 2016 tv based on the model number.

2015 tvs were "UF"

2016 tvs are. "UH".

But to the OP, these lg led tvs use IPS panels which will have grayish blacks and a very bad contrast ratio. Most here prefer as deep blacks as possible.
yea if he had read the product description he would've seen where it said date first available was January 5 2016.

So I'm kinda confused because on pc forums most people rave on about IPS panels as the best rather than TN or something else
the7mcs is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
So I'm kinda confused because on pc forums most people rave on about IPS panels as the best rather than TN or something else
IPS panels have wide viewing angles, meaning you can look at them from far to the side and they still look OK. VA panels have narrow viewing angles but have much high contrast ratios meaning the blacks are much blacker. However, you have to sit pretty much directly in front of them, once you get off to the side the picture doesn't look good.

Computer people like IPS panels because you can see the screen from various angles. Home theater enthusiasts like VA panels because the blacks are blacker. Unless you get an OLED, you currently can't have both. Some people who view their TVs from wide angles prefer IPS panels, but most enthusiasts only sit directly in front and prefer VA.
MerrlinT likes this.
avdoc is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 02-07-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: michigan
Posts: 11,336
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7986 Post(s)
Liked: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
yea if he had read the product description he would've seen where it said date first available was January 5 2016.

So I'm kinda confused because on pc forums most people rave on about IPS panels as the best rather than TN or something else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post
IPS panels have wide viewing angles, meaning you can look at them from far to the side and they still look OK. VA panels have narrow viewing angles but have much high contrast ratios meaning the blacks are much blacker. However, you have to sit pretty much directly in front of them, once you get off to the side the picture doesn't look good.

Computer people like IPS panels because you can see the screen from various angles. Home theater enthusiasts like VA panels because the blacks are blacker. Unless you get an OLED, you currently can't have both. Some people who view their TVs from wide angles prefer IPS panels, but most enthusiasts only sit directly in front and prefer VA.

IPS panels are also more prone to uniformity problems. The clouding and flashlighting are much more painfully obvious.

65KS9800 *new*. 65JS9500 4K HDR and lots of it!
MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN


Review of KS9800vsJS9500 w/side by side pix: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post45720113
ray0414 is online now  
post #9 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Member
 
Johnnyice426's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I saw this TV on Amazon. There's only three reviews but they all seem to like the TV. Maybe LG fixed some of the issues of last years model.

P 702ui-3B
Samsung K8500
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV
Atlantic technology speakers
Johnnyice426 is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Newbie
 
coolgreen13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
They have it at the Best Buy near me,went to look at the Sony 930d yesterday and they had just got done seting it up. Tv is nice web os 3.0 is fast hdr10 and Dolby vision ready. Unfortunately they set it up right next to the lg Oled so the blacks looked a little washed out. But for basically 2k nice set.
coolgreen13 is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GeneWildersHair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,010
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreen13 View Post
They have it at the Best Buy near me,went to look at the Sony 930d yesterday and they had just got done seting it up. Tv is nice web os 3.0 is fast hdr10 and Dolby vision ready. Unfortunately they set it up right next to the lg Oled so the blacks looked a little washed out. But for basically 2k nice set.
I think blacks on most if not all LCD's would look a little washed out next to an OLED. Lol
GeneWildersHair is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreen13 View Post
They have it at the Best Buy near me,went to look at the Sony 930d yesterday and they had just got done seting it up. Tv is nice web os 3.0 is fast hdr10 and Dolby vision ready. Unfortunately they set it up right next to the lg Oled so the blacks looked a little washed out. But for basically 2k nice set.
I just saw one at a Best Buy myself. From all of the talk about how bad IPS panels are, I was expecting a horrible picture. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. It was also next to their LG OLEDs and the blacks are clearly not inky black like them, but the blacks weren't gray and the contrast was not nearly as bad I have heard people attribute IPS panels.

Last edited by EvilRonin_; 03-12-2016 at 12:38 PM.
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Raymond Leggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Maybe they like samsung better..
Raymond Leggs is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Member
 
paul.sim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Also, be aware that the HU8500 is not a true 10-bit panel it is 8bit+frc. However, the HU9500 is a true 10 bit panel.
paul.sim is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
ptt660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How dare you mention a tv with an ips panel! All of you are banished from this forum till the end of time!
Sorry, couldn't resist. Just getting tired of all the ips bashing around here. Looking to check out the LG UH8500/7700 series myself this weekend.
EvilRonin_ likes this.
ptt660 is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,894
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubers View Post
So thin!
Can see the marketing now.

If you watch your TV from the side or back, this the TV for you!

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
sytech is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt660 View Post
How dare you mention a tv with an ips panel! All of you are banished from this forum till the end of time!
Sorry, couldn't resist. Just getting tired of all the ips bashing around here. Looking to check out the LG UH8500/7700 series myself this weekend.
What is the difference between the UH8500 and the UH7700? From the LG website, it appears as if the 8500 has 3D and the 7700 doesn't, though it's hard to tell. Any other differences?
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Member
 
CherokeeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dark Side of Blue Ridge Mtns
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttnuagmada View Post
Because it's a given that it will have LG's trademark god-awful contrast ratio and poor motion handling.
This! Outside of their OLEDs have never liked the IPS panels LG uses.
Even in the plasma days their sets lagged behind in black level/contrast game.
CherokeeMan is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
ptt660's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"What is the difference between the UH8500 and the UH7700? From the LG website, it appears as if the 8500 has 3D and the 7700 doesn't, though it's hard to tell. Any other differences?"

The lack of 3D is the only difference i can see as well.
Just went to my local Best Buy and they had none of new 2016 sets out on display yet (Sony 850D,930D, LG UH8500/7700).
I suppose they are still clearing out the 2015 inventory. Lots of floor display demos marked down.

Last edited by ptt660; 03-13-2016 at 01:44 AM.
ptt660 is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Because it has no 3D.
Because it has no curve.

/thread
wigglywaffles is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigglywaffles View Post
Because it has no 3D.
Because it has no curve.

/thread
2 of the least import things in a TV, IMO!
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
the7mcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Am I missing something here?

LG has on their website the UH7700 as being MORE expensive than the UH8500... In particular the 65inch versions.

They have the UH7700 listed at an MSRP of $2799 and the UH8500 listed at $2499

so odd and confusing


and then I think there is another error where they have the 86UH9500 where I'm assuming the 86 stands for size in inches but then they have a pic of a 65inch

Now I know that as humans there is always an element of honest mistakes and errors but then again it also lets me know that I'm dealing with a careless company here and I'll question the quality assurance of their products.... but that's just me and the way I think

Last edited by the7mcs; 03-12-2016 at 06:39 PM.
the7mcs is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
Am I missing something here?

LG has on their website the UH7700 as being MORE expensive than the UH8500... In particular the 65inch versions.

They have the UH7700 listed at an MSRP of $2799 and the UH8500 listed at $2499

so odd and confusing


and then I think there is another error where they have the 86UH9500 where I'm assuming the 86 stands for size in inches but then they have a pic of a 65inch

Now I know that as humans there is always an element of honest mistakes and errors but then again it also lets me know that I'm dealing with a careless company here and I'll question the quality assurance of their products.... but that's just me and the way I think
That is really odd. I looked at it a few weeks ago and it was listed at $2999. Amazon has it for $2997.99.
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 03-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The Abt website is showing a $500 instant rebate on the UH8500 through 4/2 - guess that explains why it is cheaper than the 7700 right now.
EvilRonin_ is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 03-13-2016, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
the7mcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRonin_ View Post
The Abt website is showing a $500 instant rebate on the UH8500 through 4/2 - guess that explains why it is cheaper than the 7700 right now.
oh okay thanks for the research and finding that!
the7mcs is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 03-13-2016, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
EvilRonin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
oh okay thanks for the research and finding that!
Now Amazon has it for that price - clearly a manufacturer sale.
EvilRonin_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off