AVS Forum banner

Official LG 55/60/65/75 UH8500 Thread

537K views 4K replies 383 participants last post by  pruhnke57 
#1 ·
Best flat screen value of 2016?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hard to say if this will be a best value for HDR and DV but I will keeping an eye out for some feedback on these units. I for one dont have a problem with IPS and in my environment a wider viewing angle would be preferred. However, not even LG seems to have all the sizes up on there site yet for these and so far i cant find any site that has taken a closer look at them.

#5 ·
I looking to purchase a TV in this line to replace a 7+ year old Sony KDL-46XBR6. Can anyone direct me to a place in this forum that describes how I go about enabling sound from one of these new 2016 sets to bluetooth headphones or hearing aids? I have my current TV hooked via optical audio to my 7+ year old Sony multichannel AV receiver so I could get a bluetooth transmitter and connect it to the pre out RCA connectors of the AV receiver. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

#1,254 · (Edited)
I realize this is an old comment. But, you can go to Demo-3D UHD and download HDR content from various providers (LG, Sony, etc) and play them back on the UH8500. These are the same demos you see on display at the showrooms. I find it every bit as impressive on my UH8500.

There is no Netflix or Amazon content that can showcase the capabilities like these demos.

#8 ·
I have been looking around and there is still no information from anyone on these sets. Much like anything else, I dont think its fair to discredit due to being IPS until we can get some actual results in. 60in for $2300 and you get HDR with DV seems like a good deal but there is much to find out such as screen uniformity, black level performance, and HDR output quality. I thought someone on this forum was going to order one mentioned in another thread but i have not seen any mention since. LG needs to push these out some some review outlets.

#10 ·
It only has 3 HDMI ???? Looks like LG drops the ball with insisting only having 3 again this model year when I checked their web site page & while Samsung, Sony has 4 and even Vizio has 5 on their sets...after all LG it is 2016 now..:rolleyes:.:cool:
I was thinking about getting one but saw it only had 3 hdmi ports as well and decided to wait. I generally like the way Samsung tvs look(as far as picture quality) but was going to give this a try but im going to hold off until a detail review comes out and also see what others have to offer.

#15 ·
Had more time playing with the TV. I started calibrating with the dark room setting which I read was a good starting point instead of the cinema settings. Colors are way more vibrant compared to my last TV which was the Panasonic Plasma VT25 series. Blacks are not as good as the plasma but I feel like there are trade-offs for whatever type of TV you get. I tried messing with the Deep Color mode but unfortunately I don't get the Samsung 4K Blu-ray player till later on this week. My regular Blu-ray player would not play any audio when the Deep Color mode was turned on and it appears others have reported the same issue. My Xbox One had no problem with Deep Color mode on along with cable. The TV doesn't have Dolby Vision support yet but is supposed to get it in April. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the TV.

#62 ·
I wanted 4 HDMI inputs. I use a Tivo, Bluray, Fire TV and a Chromcast. However, it seems that this tv is capable of screen casting from my Android and Windows laptops after downloading some free software, so I won't need the Chromcast. I haven't bought this tv yet but it is my current first choice. I'll wait another month before pulling the trigger.:)

#22 ·
I just saw this thread and am following it with interest. I was going to get the Sony 65x900c today but was wary due to the light bleed. The store only had one left. I only need 1 HDMI port and could care less about the internal sound system as it is connect to a HT receiver. I believe the IPS panels while not giving the awesome blacks will allow for better side viewing. Are these 10 bit panels? I looked at the Sammy 65" 8500 series and the 9000 series at the store and the edge bleed was abysmal. I was quite disappointed. It may be due to the fact that they are on so much but I would not have expected them to be many times worse than the Sony. I have no experience with LG televisions so I will be watching for other opinions.

#23 · (Edited)
Last night I was back at my local Best Buy and decided the LG 60UH8500 was for me. Looked really nice in store and the passive 3D was incredible. I want to start of by saying I am NOT a fan of the soap opera look and try everything I can in the settings to eliminate it from the screen. That being said the LG is on sale for $1999.98 but they were out of stock and had to order one for me. Should be available for pick up any day. Im very excited about this TV and cant wait to delve into all it offers. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for updates from owners who have had a chance play around with settings they might like to share and advice in general about the TV. This is my 4th attempt at finding the TV that suits my needs best. First I tried the SONY XBR65X900C and probably would have kept it but the light bleed was ridiculous and it went back. 2nd I tried the Samsung UN55JS8500 and after a lot of setting adjusting I finally got a really nice picture but the JUDDER problem I was experiencing really drove me nuts so it went back. 3rd I tried the SONY XBR55X850C because I was told that the LIGHT BLEED was practically non existent. And yes that was indeed the case. BUT... although I was very happy with how my Blu-ray movies looked I just couldn't get a great picture from my DIRECT TV source. The previous TVs I tried didnt have that problem so this TV is going back as soon as my LG 60UH8500 comes in. Hopefully the TruMotion 240 on the LG will completely eliminate any artifacting (which was very prevalent on the SONY 850C) and JUDDER I was experiencing. Anyway thats where Im at for the moment. Cheers.

#26 ·
Appliances Connection?

Anyone know anything about Appliances Connection? They have the LG 60UH8500 listed at $1799.00. Are they legit? No one else has it for less than $1999. Also, between the LG 60UH8500 and the Sony XBR65X850C (if I can fit the bigger screen) which do folks like better? Thanks!

#27 ·
I dont know anything about Appliances Unlimited so I cant speak for them. I prefer buying from Best Buy for their 15 day return policy. If you read my post #23 you will see my reasons for wanting this TV. I will post a review once I actually receive the TV from Best Buy. They had to order one because none of the Best Buys in the area even had one in stock.

Anyone know anything about Appliances Connection? They have the LG 60UH8500 listed at $1799.00. Are they legit? No one else has it for less than $1999. Also, between the LG 60UH8500 and the Sony XBR65X850C (if I can fit the bigger screen) which do folks like better? Thanks!

#30 ·
Actually, I'm not sure if Appliances Connection is truly an authorized LG dealer. When I checked on LG's website for authorized online dealers they were not listed. I will get to the bottom of it and report back. I certainly will not order from an unauthorized dealer no matter the price.

#32 ·
What is the difference between the UH7700 and the UH8500? From the website, I can see that the UH7700 does not have 3D and has lesser speakers. Are those the only differences? 3D would be nice, but looks like it is fading away and I'll be using my home theater system so the speakers are not important. The UH7700 is $300 cheaper than the UH8500 so I was curious if there are any other differences.

#36 ·
This was a pretty quick informal comparison. Not sure if everything was in torch mode, but contrast looked about the same. The sony was brighter, the LG close behind. Not sure again if the JS8500 was in torch mode or not. Colors looked ok to me, close to the sony colors. All others looked different, fwiw.

#38 ·
My tv experience

Bought 55" lg ef9500 4K. Had banding in grey and white. Blacks were great. Contrast was fine. Did newest firmware update. Had it for 3 weeks. Had to return because the banding was horrible.

Than got 65" Sony xbr850c. Owned it for 1 day. Horrible tv. Blacks were grey. A lot of light bleed. Did newest firmware and Netflix 4K never worked. Not a good tv.

Than got 65" Samsung js8500. Nice tv. Blacks were very good. The cinema black mode that turns off the letter bars in wide screen is awesome. Very narrow viewing angle. About 4ft wide or less maybe. Did newest firmware too. Was better to oled to me. For the reasons of better screen uniformity. Greys and white were perfect. Than...... Last Saturday had dead pixels. Maybe 3-5 pixels. Called Samsung said they don't fix bad pixels unless there are more than 7. So I returned tv. After owning for 27 days. Was upsetting

Than got Sony 65" 930c. Netflix wouldn't work also. Very frustrating. Tried everything. Picture was a downgrade from Samsung. Had it 2 days.

Just got last night lg 65" hu8500. So far this isn't a bad tv but js8500 and Sony 930c have better pq for sure. I'll tweak it a little more. The web os 3.0 is cool. Off angle viewing is very good. This is better tv than 850c. But still hu8500 blacks aren't very good and just doesn't pop. Lack of contrast. I'll keep for a few more days but I'll probably be returning as well. I'll be going back to my plasmas. Just wanted to try 4K.

Have 65" Panasonic zt60. 60" Samsung f8500. 60" Panasonic st60. And 51" Samsung e8000.