Official 2016 Sony X930D Owners Thread (no price talk) - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2352Likes

post #7051 of 7088 Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericynthion View Post
My gut is it's a PS4 rather than the TV is. Any particular game or content?
I haven't done much experimenting - Horizon: Zero Dawn's the only HDR game I've tried, and Letter Quest Remastered and Star Trek Online the non-HDR 4K games I've found so far. It consistently happens switching from the one HDR game to either of the non-HDR ones.

I can't say I've seen your Wipeout issue, though - when playing Horizon, XMB knows it's in HDR mode so it adjusts the colors correctly and looks just fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7052 of 7088 Old 08-07-2017, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uvix View Post
My X930D doesn't seem to pick up automatically when the content shifts between from having HDR to not, unless there's a resolution change. (Yes, there are 4K games on PS4 without HDR.) I have to manually go into the picture settings to change the mode between Game and HDR Video.

Anybody else having this problem, or have a fix to suggest?

I'm having this issue aswell. At first I thought it was a Roku problem but then I rebooted my TV and things went back to normal. I suggest rebooting as a short term fix but there's obviously something in this latest firmware that's causing it.
post #7053 of 7088 Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSimmons1987 View Post
I'm having this issue aswell. At first I thought it was a Roku problem but then I rebooted my TV and things went back to normal. I suggest rebooting as a short term fix but there's obviously something in this latest firmware that's causing it.
Im was having issues as well. Ps4 and all my hdr sources: roku, x800, and Chromecast uktra were experiencing the no auto switch to hdr. Rebooting tv seems to fixed it.....for now.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

post #7054 of 7088 Old 08-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by julnoobe View Post
US site has it too.

Dear Valued BRAVIA? customers,

Some XBR-X930D series BRAVIA televisions may experience an issue where they will not power on due to a problem with the power supply circuit board. To address this issue, subject to the terms and conditions in the Limited Warranty that accompanied the Affected Models, we will repair your Affected Model, free of charge, through January 31, 2021.

Thank you for your support and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Affected Models
XBR-55X930D
XBR-65X930D

Resolution
If you have an Affected Model that will not power on, please Contact Product Support for assistance. If diagnosis confirms that the issue is caused by the power supply circuit board failure, your Affected Model television will be repaired, free of charge, subject to the terms and conditions of Limited Warranty that accompanied the Affected Model, through January 31, 2021.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/news-...mdl=XBR55X930D
Thanks I copied and saved for reference. I have 2 units and no issues at all yet. Knock Knock

Great news and thanks for sharing.
post #7055 of 7088 Old 08-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalspeed View Post
Anyone know why certain apps like HBO Go require me to crank the volume super high to be able to hear dialogue?
I mainly use my HT-NT5 soundbar and was wondering if there was a way to normalize volume or give certain apps a volume boost?
I wind look for dynamic range or sound normalization settings on the soundbar. There are some dynamic range settings on the TV too but the majority of them don't affect external output.
post #7056 of 7088 Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello Everyone..

I have had the 65XBR930D since last November but seem to have come across an issue that might have been here all along but only discovered after tinkering with my picture settings and watching a Blu-ray from a deep backlog (Sucker Punch...I know)

For now I will leave out all of the troubleshooting I did..the basic issue is seeing a purple-ish outline (during movement, so a ghosting effect) and I am able to make it go away but dialing up the "Black Level" setting. Would the black level settings normally introduce this kind of picture issue? With Sucker Punch in particular it actually made my eyes hurt (Black Level was set to 45).

-EDIT-
Let my eyes rest for the night and tried a few different things today.
Used HEAT Blu-ray
Picture Settings: Custom (Default except Color is set to Neutral)

HDMI 2 (Enhanced HDMI ON) - Sony UBP-X800
HDMI 4 (Enhanced HDMI OFF) - Xbox One

There is a purple outline around anything that moves. Sometimes its subtle other times its so bad even my girlfriend, who cant tell you what a pixel is, is seeing it.

Then I tried Blade Runner: Final Cut Blu-Ray.
Same settings as above and...nothing. The picture looks fine.

Did a factory reset on the TV.
Issue is still there.

I am going to call PC Richard today since I have an extended warranty. Wonder if they are going to think Im crazy.

Last edited by High DeF JeFF; 08-10-2017 at 05:16 AM. Reason: UPDATE
post #7057 of 7088 Old 08-11-2017, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by High DeF JeFF View Post
Hello Everyone..

I have had the 65XBR930D since last November but seem to have come across an issue that might have been here all along but only discovered after tinkering with my picture settings and watching a Blu-ray from a deep backlog (Sucker Punch...I know)

For now I will leave out all of the troubleshooting I did..the basic issue is seeing a purple-ish outline (during movement, so a ghosting effect) and I am able to make it go away but dialing up the "Black Level" setting. Would the black level settings normally introduce this kind of picture issue? With Sucker Punch in particular it actually made my eyes hurt (Black Level was set to 45).

-EDIT-
Let my eyes rest for the night and tried a few different things today.
Used HEAT Blu-ray
Picture Settings: Custom (Default except Color is set to Neutral)

HDMI 2 (Enhanced HDMI ON) - Sony UBP-X800
HDMI 4 (Enhanced HDMI OFF) - Xbox One

There is a purple outline around anything that moves. Sometimes its subtle other times its so bad even my girlfriend, who cant tell you what a pixel is, is seeing it.

Then I tried Blade Runner: Final Cut Blu-Ray.
Same settings as above and...nothing. The picture looks fine.

Did a factory reset on the TV.
Issue is still there.

I am going to call PC Richard today since I have an extended warranty. Wonder if they are going to think Im crazy.
This is a very common issue with this particular model, and it has yet to be corrected.
post #7058 of 7088 Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by immersed View Post
This is a very common issue with this particular model, and it has yet to be corrected.

PC Richard was out today and is offering a replacement TV. It was weird because he acknowledged the purple ghosting but didn't feel it was too much of an issue.
But he said he would replace it because the light uniformity didnt look right. Whatever works I guess.

Going to put this towards either an A1E or the Z9D.
post #7059 of 7088 Old 08-12-2017, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Purple ghosting is usually not noticeable if your brightness is at a lower value, as it should be in SDR content. In HDR it's a lot more noticeable, but only in darker scenes, and I've noticed it much more in video games than movie content.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Living Room: Sony XBR65X930D, Sony HTCT780, Base PS4, Philips BDP7501
Bedroom: LG OLED55C6P, Denon AVR-1911, PS4 Pro, AV.io 4K
Check out my video game movie edits
post #7060 of 7088 Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just bought the 940d to replace my busted LG 75uh8500 and the picture quality jump is excellent. The problem is that the 3d is completely unusable. The crosstalk is horrendous and gives me a headache within 10 minutes. This is a ridiculous problem for such an expensive TV. I loved the passive 3D on the LG, and now it's getting harder to find one.

Anyone know of a solution to this? Does anyone else have this problem? I'm so disappointed..
post #7061 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So I purchased my Sony XBR55X930D used for around $700 a few months ago and now I am having a really strange issue. I plan on fixing it myself if I can figure out what the correct part is. Anyway I power the TV on and it comes on, android logo comes on, TV boots and sometimes has a signal for HDMI and sometimes doesn't. After a few minutes if a signal is displayed the TV just goes all black (no backlight) and flashes a red light 7 times. I have to unplug the TV to restart and it does it every time now and the TV is not useable anymore. I love this TV, it even does it when I access the settings and it will just go black (no backlight) and flashes a red light 7 times. Now my Sony 4K BD player there is no signal anymore. I would have to point to the Mainboard or LED Driver board or power supply. Anyone with knowledge of this model please lmk what part this could point to and I'll start from there. I'd like to fix it myself since I have no warranty and it was purchased used. Thankyou for reading my post! So the problem is there is no signal with HDMI or signal dropping for HDMI and sometimes freezing, TV goes all black (no backlight) and flashes a red light 7 times and sometimes does not respond to pressing power button on either remote or TV itself.

Last edited by coffeecup45; 08-13-2017 at 02:48 AM.
post #7062 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 03:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bacchus View Post
I just bought the 940d to replace my busted LG 75uh8500 and the picture quality jump is excellent. The problem is that the 3d is completely unusable. The crosstalk is horrendous and gives me a headache within 10 minutes. This is a ridiculous problem for such an expensive TV. I loved the passive 3D on the LG, and now it's getting harder to find one.

Anyone know of a solution to this? Does anyone else have this problem? I'm so disappointed..
There is no solution unless Sony fixes it. I ended up buying an LG C6 for my 3D needs.

post #7063 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup45 View Post
So I purchased my Sony XBR55X930D used for around $700 a few months ago and now I am having a really strange issue. I plan on fixing it myself if I can figure out what the correct part is. Anyway I power the TV on and it comes on, android logo comes on, TV boots and sometimes has a signal for HDMI and sometimes doesn't. After a few minutes if a signal is displayed the TV just goes all black (no backlight) and flashes a red light 7 times. I have to unplug the TV to restart and it does it every time now and the TV is not useable anymore. I love this TV, it even does it when I access the settings and it will just go black (no backlight) and flashes a red light 7 times. Now my Sony 4K BD player there is no signal anymore. I would have to point to the Mainboard or LED Driver board or power supply. Anyone with knowledge of this model please lmk what part this could point to and I'll start from there. I'd like to fix it myself since I have no warranty and it was purchased used. Thankyou for reading my post! So the problem is there is no signal with HDMI or signal dropping for HDMI and sometimes freezing, TV goes all black (no backlight) and flashes a red light 7 times and sometimes does not respond to pressing power button on either remote or TV itself.
Contact Sony support. It *could* be the power board causing the issue, and if it is, you might be able to get it replaced as a known issue regardless of warranty status according to a Sony bulletin - though I don't know how Sony handles these if you are not the original owner with an original POP. Suspicious of main board though. They might be able to help you troubleshoot more precisely in any case.

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #7064 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question for those of you with the UBP-X800. Are you switching the scaling 'off' on the player and letting the 930D do it? Curious if the consensus is the X1 is still the best at upscaling content to 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7065 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pericynthion View Post
Question for those of you with the UBP-X800. Are you switching the scaling 'off' on the player and letting the 930D do it? Curious if the consensus is the X1 is still the best at upscaling content to 4K.

I don't have that player but I do like to set anything to the content's native res on this TV to let the TV upscale. The upscaling is the best I've seen, especially with reality creation on auto. This is especially important for DVD upscaling. For the case of 1080p to 4K upscaling it might make a lot less difference though, unless you sit really close.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk
Pericynthion likes this.

post #7066 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Contact Sony support. It *could* be the power board causing the issue, and if it is, you might be able to get it replaced as a known issue regardless of warranty status according to a Sony bulletin - though I don't know how Sony handles these if you are not the original owner with an original POP. Suspicious of main board though. They might be able to help you troubleshoot more precisely in any case.
Thanks for the reply. I did open the back and inspect and I noticed a little board which accepts power but it seems the power goes to the LED driver board. So there was a known issue with that little power board? Can it cause this kind of behavior because the set receives power and shuts off with the 5 flashing red light. The DPS board and Mainboard get hot but that is probably normal with this model, so I would have to say it's probably a main board issue it's looking like. It would be cheaper to replace that little power board though.
post #7067 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did open the back and inspect and I noticed a little board which accepts power but it seems the power goes to the LED driver board. So there was a known issue with that little power board? Can it cause this kind of behavior because the set receives power and shuts off with the 5 flashing red light. The DPS board and Mainboard get hot but that is probably normal with this model, so I would have to say it's probably a main board issue it's looking like. It would be cheaper to replace that little power board though.
I suspect you are right about the main board. But yes, the power board is a known issue, however, symptomatically from what people report is seems to be largely a no-power situation when the power board is suspect, not exactly what you are reporting. That said though, it could be the power board not delivering the proper voltage that is causing the havoc. Just a guess, but still suspicious of the main board, like you!

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7068 of 7088 Old 08-13-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I suspect you are right about the main board. But yes, the power board is a known issue, however, symptomatically from what people report is seems to be largely a no-power situation when the power board is suspect, not exactly what you are reporting. That said though, it could be the power board not delivering the proper voltage that is causing the havoc. Just a guess, but still suspicious of the main board, like you!
So if it's the small little power board could that explain the HDMI drop outs with no signal displayed? the TV needs the proper voltage for that kind of thing? Yes, I am leaning towards replacing the main board on the set first not sure if low voltage could explain the issues with the main board.
post #7069 of 7088 Old 08-14-2017, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Reboots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
My TV has not had problems powering on (yet!), but I have a different issue where for no reason it suddenly turns off and reboots. All of a sudden the screen will go blank, and it will go through the android screen of different colored circles. The word "android" will appear, and the TV will come in. This takes about 30 seconds.

The issue is that I am not using and never do use any of the Android apps on the TV. It happened once shortly after I bought the TV in September, 2016. It did not happen again until the software update a few months ago. Then it started happening about twice a week. When the new software update occurred last month, it seemed to have fixed the problem. It didn't happen for 3 weeks, but now it's happened 3 times in the last 9 days.

As I said, I don't use any Android apps. It always happens watching either component or HDMI TV input.

Does anyone know the cause of this? Is there an app I should remove or update or something? I presume that even if I'm not using something it could be running in the background.

If not, can someone remind me of how to do a factory reset? That would be my next option.

Thanks.

SMK
Have you found a solution to this yet? I am in the same state, rebooting after latest software update, but fine before...did a factory reset to no avail...Sony wants me to call a tech, but the problem is intermittent( but more so than not)....has anyone got a solution/suggestion to this?
Thanks
post #7070 of 7088 Old 08-14-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if it's the small little power board could that explain the HDMI drop outs with no signal displayed? the TV needs the proper voltage for that kind of thing? Yes, I am leaning towards replacing the main board on the set first not sure if low voltage could explain the issues with the main board.
Well, I'm no electrical engineer - but yes - if the board is not delivering proper, stable voltage it could create all sorts of issues. That said though, the majority of power-related issues that folks have been having here seem to be it's either on or just plain dead, not much in between like you're seeing. Which is also why I'd lean towards the main board. BUT really, you should speak with Sony before pulling the trigger on a part - that once you buy it, likely will not be returnable as is typically the case with service parts unless plain defective ut of the box.....!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #7071 of 7088 Old 08-14-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcWalpole View Post
Have you found a solution to this yet? I am in the same state, rebooting after latest software update, but fine before...did a factory reset to no avail...Sony wants me to call a tech, but the problem is intermittent( but more so than not)....has anyone got a solution/suggestion to this?
Thanks
Shortly after that post I did a "factory data reset" which is available through the settings menu. It's been two weeks and (fingers crossed) it has not yet happened again (touch wood).

I think you can see that I'm hoping but very insecure this was a fix.

SMK
post #7072 of 7088 Old 08-14-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question about Amazon Prime 4K movies streaming on this TV. I tried it with the Amazon APP on the TV, but I can't get 4K quality for the UHD movies, I've read that Amazon 4K does not support Andiod. Is it true??

Thanks.
post #7073 of 7088 Old 08-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
Shortly after that post I did a "factory data reset" which is available through the settings menu. It's been two weeks and (fingers crossed) it has not yet happened again (touch wood).

I think you can see that I'm hoping but very insecure this was a fix.

SMK
OK, thanks neighbor just to my south (Walpole, MA)...will probably try another factory reset...sigh, this should not be so difficult....
post #7074 of 7088 Old 08-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1314 View Post
Question about Amazon Prime 4K movies streaming on this TV. I tried it with the Amazon APP on the TV, but I can't get 4K quality for the UHD movies, I've read that Amazon 4K does not support Andiod. Is it true??

Thanks.
Yes it support 4k and HDR with the internal Amazon app. Could be a bandwidth issue? If it detects your bandwidth is too low for 4k steaming it drops it to 1080.
post #7075 of 7088 Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I have a x930D 55 , unfortunately shortly after buying it I have discovered a defect on the LCD panel – the border are much darker forming a frame inside the LCD ,
Sony support closed the case claiming that the panel is within specifications,
Now after I have escalated they are proposing to send a technician to validate but they will charge for the call in case the technician will believe that the panel is ok.
What do you think? Do I have a case? To me the defect is very evident….
https://imgur.com/a/9GFqw
thanks

post #7076 of 7088 Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 19
While i have, on the whole, been very happy with my xd9305 since the last update i appear to have my disappearing 'volume' bar back again. It was fine after the update but now takes an age to appear if at all. Any ideas?

Sony KD-55XD9305
Samsung BD-J7500 & UBD-M9500
Sonos Soundbar/Sub/2 x Play 1's
post #7077 of 7088 Old 08-17-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosman View Post
While i have, on the whole, been very happy with my xd9305 since the last update i appear to have my disappearing 'volume' bar back again. It was fine after the update but now takes an age to appear if at all. Any ideas?
I have same problem but only when streaming something through a app on the tv. If I'm using my cable box it never happens. Hopefully this gets fixed.
post #7078 of 7088 Old 08-17-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh_24 View Post
Yes it support 4k and HDR with the internal Amazon app. Could be a bandwidth issue? If it detects your bandwidth is too low for 4k steaming it drops it to 1080.
Be sure you have enabled 4K on that input...it is somewhere in the never-ending Home menus; requires a reboot after enabling.
post #7079 of 7088 Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Liked: 1
No Power Issue

So what is replaced when you set won't power up. Sony tech support mentions replacing a board. I figure they replace the power brick.

Anyone know how involved this is.

Thanks for the help.
post #7080 of 7088 Old 08-17-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomboid jerk View Post
So what is replaced when you set won't power up. Sony tech support mentions replacing a board. I figure they replace the power brick.
Not the external power brick, it's an internal power board/module. Don't know how involved, but based on what others have said having observed the process, it is not complex and does not take long to do.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
x930d

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page