AVS Forum banner

Official Vizio 2016/2017 P Series Owners ONLY Thread UHD/HDR/DV No Price Talk Please

5M views 66K replies 3K participants last post by  RayAllenSF 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
*** MODERATOR'S NOTE:

OWNERS ONLY!!

This thread is now exclusively for current owners of the Vizio P-series sets. If you do not own the set, do not post here. This is NOT the thread for comparisons or help-me-choose questions. For those, start a new post or find an existing post. The same members will see it, trust me. *****

10/28/2017: HLG enabled on Vizio P series over HDMI & USB. (unofficial and unannounced) No confirmation as to whether it triggers when streaming directly to the internals of the display.

Discovered by forum member MPGXSVCD as he experiments with the production of HLG mastered content. When the P series is sent HLG metadata, the device switched to HLG mode and has it's own calibration table.

April 25, 2017: Statement from Matt regarding panel brightness: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1483.html#post52508649

April 25, 2017: Statement from Matt regarding display apps: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1482.html#post52507217

April 25, 2017: Vizio seeks better acceptance at retail from customers and retail partner sales staff. The addition of on-display apps and continued refinement of tuned picture modes makes a strong case for consumer acceptance with little effort once unboxed.

April 25, 2017: Statement from Matt McRae regarding HDR10+

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1482.html#post52506289

April 25, 2017: 2017 P series will NOT ship with the Vizio tablet 2016 buyers received. 2017 pricing reflects the change. On-board applications coupled with a newly designed physical remote being shipped with the 2017 display bring Vizio's UltraHD offerings inline with a user interface more customers are accustomed to. That said, the tablet interface remains fully functional and the Vizio app is downloadable to any Android or iOS device. Casting to an internal Chromecast remains a cornerstone of the P series and is likely to provide a growing list of options for playing content. No information is yet available regarding the VP9 codec necessary for Youtube HDR10. It's unlikely that any software update will enable this for 2016/2017 P series displays. EDIT: Confirmed NO existing way to enable HDR for Youtube via internal CC.

April 25, 2017: Vizio updates their website with 2017 P series pricing. The new "on-display" app interface for 2017 P series will be included in an update to 2016 P series owners! Great news. More details coming today regarding software updates shipping this summer.

April 24, 2017: Vizio releases 2017 P Series specs. Other innovations hinted at. Details tomorrow.

April 15, 2017. I've changed the title of this thread to include any potential evolution of the P-series into 2017. OWNERS, please continue to post here as Vizio will be holding a press event in NY on April 24th (Per Matt McRae).

New BETA firmware released today ver 3.2.8.3, 4/15/2017. Here's a link to Matt's post regarding: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1448.html#post52270177

HDR10 Arrives! 7/27/2016 marks the day Vizio fulfilled it's commitment of providing HDR10 to it's 2016 P series owners. Users are furiously downloading the firmware update and we'll be seeing reports soon. We now await the ability to stream HDR-10 and to trigger DV over HDMI.

Some HDR10 info posted 11/15/2016 by Matt McRae:

3.0.6.4 Firmware notes from Matt: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-no-price-talk-please-1114.html#post48180993r

NOTES from Matt posted 8/6/2016

Regarding HDR10 for streaming:

Firmware comments and Quick Start mode:

Picture Modes:

Comments on FALD:

Stacey Spears appears on Home Theater Geeks to discuss the state of HDR: 8/12/2016

Check out HTG Episode 316 for some interesting HDR-10 info..

Welcome Owners and prospective buyers of the 2016 Vizio P series. This page 1 post is intended to answer some questions about the P series as well as help with troubleshooting some common issues. The display was launched in late March of 2016 and has been greeted with tremendous interest as well as strong early, pre-holiday season sales. The success of the display can be attributed to it's; 1. FALD performance, black levels and contrast. 2. Adoption of both HDR formats; DolbyVisionHDR and HDR10. 3. Tremendous overall picture quality with 4k and other modern cable sources. 4: Wide Color Gamut covering 92-99% of DCI-P3 (depending on the model) 5. Overall strong professional reviews 6. A range of model size covering the majority of consumer demand. 7. The adoption of an Vizio Android tablet remote that can control all aspects the operating the display as well as the use of "Google Casting" for playing streamed content.

This thread is primarily an "owners" thread. If you're here to trash-talk the P series or to shamelessly promote the virtues of the display you chose instead of the Vizio, you'll be vanquished quickly by our thread participants. There are plenty of other threads in the forum to comparison shop, complain, disparage and troll. There are a number of regular thread members who spend a great deal of time here helping people with their P series display and it's important to stay on-topic and not to clutter the thread. This is also not a place to start a revolt or talk about the class-action lawsuit you intend to file because you burned your popcorn while you rebooted the display. if you purchased a P series display and have issues. Vizio handles those things directly. If you have a concern or complaint, state it ONCE and then contact Vizio. We don't censor complaints, problems or suggestions. We do draw a line at doing it repeatedly. If you levy a threat against Vizio or antagonize/insult our helpful members in the process, you'll get reported and eventually banned if you persist. That's the way it is.

Finally, when you have a problem that the community hasn't been able to help you with or doesn't satisfy you.... CALL VIZIO. They are the manufacturer and have a tremendous support system to assist you in getting your display working to your satisfaction. They also have a great track record of replacing defective displays or displays damaged in shipping. It's important that Vizio be aware of your issue. If you have software/firmware related issues to report, please call Vizio. They have the development staff to fix these issues and they can't fix something they don't know about or haven't replicated.

There's an unbelievable amount of info in the nearly 35,000 posts-to-date. There's not much that hasn't been discussed (more than once). Please use the search tool and give it a little effort before shotgunning for answers. This post contains much of the info people need. The rest is in the thread. Fire away after you've read this post and done a little homework.

I hope you enjoy your new P series display as much as I do.

Reviews:

The CNET Review is in! http://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-p-series-review-2016/

Quote from David Katzmaier of CNET

"Most of the time when I tell someone that a Vizio TV has a better picture than a Samsung, LG or Sony, they're incredulous. "Really?" they ask. "But it's so much cheaper. How is that possible?"

"I honestly don't know," I tell them. "But it's the best TV for the money you can buy."

the Rtings.com review http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016

Original Quote on 4/9 by Rtings..

"best picture quality for an LED TV we've seen so far"

Edited Quote by Rtings:
The Vizio P Series 2016 has one of the best picture quality we have seen. It really shines in a dark room or for playing video games.

Preliminary test results posted by Rtings 8/4/2016, (post HDR10 firmware update ver.#2 .0.13.13

The Verge Review http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/19/11687510/vizio-4k-hdr-tv-smartcast-google-cast-review

"an incredible 4K TV and showcase for Google Cast"

HiDef Digest Review: http://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/35418/vizio2016pseries.html

"Make no mistake, the P-Series produces a world-class picture capable of standing shoulder to shoulder with much pricier flagship model displays".

Things to consider if you're purchasing a P series LCD display:

1. HDMI cables for 4k signals can be problematic. Anything at 4k/60 above 8bit is going to be difficult to push. You can waltz over the the Samsung UBD K8500 Bluray player thread for the best information on the site. There is ONE cable over 15' feet that they've proved to work... $899. There are going to be a lot of short cables that are not going to work. For cables under 15', you can buy certified cables that are proven to work at 600Mhz specs. You do not necessarily need expensive cables... just good quality cables.

2. Hooking up to HTPC's and video cards. Drivers matter. Anyone that's tinkered with PC's knows that there's a world of hurt out there with compatibility and getting systems tuned to max out performance. When you push any system to it's outer extents of capability, your going to have some issues. This set is brand new.

3. Cable/Satellite/Source quality.... When I did my mini-review on page 1, day 1, cable upscaling was accurately and honestly rated. Rtings.com's comments are consistent with mine. There's been nothing said in the last 2 weeks that doesn't confirm the observations. It's not Vizio's focus with the P series to be an "average cable" upscaling television. It's just a fact that highly compressed sources are not going to be processed to look as good as some things folks are use to. When you get to good sources, it's amazing. My cable source looks better than good. Don't buy this TV to watch average cable if that is your primary use. If you're going to encounter a bad signal occasionally, perhaps you can live with it. I know I can but my cable provider is outstanding and getting better by the week. Recent switch to MPEG4 for many major networks has dramatically improved things.

4. DSE, banding, screen uniformity and VA panels. The best encapsulated primer on the subject is on rtings.com. It's inherent in LCD manufacturing and technology. There's a fairly broad band of what you can/should expect. Your tolerance for it is certainly a personal thing and nobody's judging whether you should or shouldn't tolerate it. Screen uniformity is exacerbated by off-angle viewing. Bigger screens seem to amplify the issue for some. Regardless, it's going to be there to some degree. If you want to see how good or bad your set is for DSE, watch some hockey. It's the torture test. For me, it's no issue. When I watch hockey, I ether sit at a direct angle to the viewing plane or I angle my wall mount to minimize it. That's me. It's not going away by swapping sets. You might get ones that's better than the first (or you might get one that's worse). It's called the panel lottery. OLED is your way out of screen uniformity issues.

5. Casting and the Tablet. It's Vizio's future. All of their televisions released from the P series on out will be using this interface. With the volumes they deal with, it HAS to work. I am 100% convinced that it's a primary engineering focus for them.

Evaluating Displays in a Box Store... click here for my opinion

So now you own a P series.... start here!

Getting Started with your New Vizio P Series: The YouTube Station by Vizio: https://www.youtube.com/user/VIZIOusa/videos

Firmware update 3.0.6.4 (beta). Continued refinement of video processing and picture quality. It continues to get better.

3.0.6.4 brings separate calibration banks for SDR, HDR DV and HDR10. You can now have discreet Cal or Cal Dark settings for each of the formats. The tables for HDR-DV and HDR10 are available while the respective content is playing. HDR-DV can be calibrated with CalMan Enthusiast using an appropriate PC and meter. HDR-10 calibration requires additional equipment presently.

Firmware 3.0.6.4 notes from Matt http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1114.html#post48180993

3.0.6.4 bug list... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1130.html#post48273585

The USB port on the P series is primarily a service port. It does play certain types of video files but there is NO user interface. Once inserted, properly formatted content on the thumb drive will "auto-play".

Networks and your P series display

Your new P series display requires either a wired or wireless internet connection to "Cast" and to connect to the included tablet remote. Wired connections are preferred as they tend to be more reliable, not prone to interference and usually get the benefit of your full internet connection speed. You need a minimum of a 25mbs download connection to stream/cast content reliably. Doing this over a wireless connection can be suspect. Use an ethernet connection if at all possible. If you have to use a wireless connection, have the wireless router as close to the tv as possible using a 5ghz band if the path to the display is unobstructed (this is best for video). 2.5ghz will be better if you are further away with obstructions.

If you have problems getting your display to connect to the internet, we've listed some troubleshooting options in this post. Another potential resolution could require replacing your router. Some older, outdated routers are not optimized for casting and video streaming and will not auto-configure properly. You can get a modern router with multiple ethernet ports for a very reasonable investment. Don't beat your head on the wall. Try a new router.

Recommended Routers from Forum Members: Thanks to @htwaits for starting the list.

Asus rt-ac68u:

Asus RT-AC88U:

AT&T for Uverse
:

Netgear AC1750
or better:

Pace 5268AC
From @FoReVeR0515 : I got a replacement gateway () from AT&T recently for U-verse and it works well with the display via wired or wireless connection. I know it isn't a standalone router, but I thought you may possibly want to include it. I don't see a reason to get a secondary router right now, since this is working so well for us.

Asus RT-N66U, running strong. 0 issues... From @MichiganTim

Apple AirPort Extreme: I've been using an Apple Airport Extreme (802.11ac model) with my P75 over wireless and haven't had any casting issues to speak of. This router seems more "compatible" than many other routers I've read about. From @Schwa

How to see the currently playing input source resolution, framerate, HDR yes/no...

Vizio app on the tablet select Settings, System, System Info, System Info

Black bar detection

We have an algorithm that we call Black Bar Detection... this coupled with careful backlight design allows us to really get the black bars to just fall away to nearly pure black. Has been a major focus for us over the last 3-4 years since movie watching is such an important use case.
A starting place for non-DolbyVision settings

The Vizio has factory presets that are excellent starting points for the majority of owners. The calibrated and calibrated dark picture modes are the best places to start for both cable/satellite sources and bluray/streaming sources. Special Note: If you have to deviate widely from a brightness or contrast setting range (48-52 but recommended to remain at 50 for both) there is either a colorspace problem, a problem with your source or a problem with the set. Almost all source material mastered in the rec.709 colorspace will display properly on the P series with the Colorspace setting set to Auto and the brightness and contrast settings at 50. These sources include ALL sources other than DV. DolbyVision content locks the P series into a special DV mode covered above.

Typically a change to the Gamma setting or backlight can provide an adjustment necessary to accommodate for ambient light conditions in your viewing environment without setting brightness or contrast outside of spec.

My recommendations for a starting point are as follows: (nothing new here. These are widely used settings on the M series)

These are general settings for cable and rec.709 material.

These are starting recommendations, not rules. Do what you want but please don't post pictures and make comparisons to other TV's without some baseline.

Picture Mode: Calibrated for am, Calibrated Dark for PM

Auto brightness: OFF (set to High might work for some people. Some odd delay behavior)

Backlight: 30-85 for cable & bluray then 60-100 for 4k (non-DV)

Brightness: 50

Contrast: 50

Color: 50 (clean signals can tolerate a boost) It goes red fast so less is more.

Sharpness: 0-20 (less or more to taste) Noisy signals look bad over-sharpened. I use very little with 4k sources.

Tint: O

Color temp: Normal

Black detail: on or off to taste

Active LED: ON

Reduce Judder: as low as you can stand (I used no more than 3 on my M80)

Reduce Motion Blur: same

Clear Action: OFF (tested w 1080p Bluray with backlight set from 70- 100.. works great and plenty bright)

Reduce signal noise: low or off (better signals need less processing)

Reduce Block noise: low or off

GLL: off

Film mode: auto

Colorspace: Auto(some caveats here with HTPC)

Gamma: 2.1 or 2.2

As you can see, Vizio has it pretty good out of the box in Calibrated modes. The Color and Brightness settings are the 2 that will get you into bad picture territory quickly so leave them at 50 would be my recommendation.

DolbyVision Settings:

Set the Picture Mode to CALIBRATED DARK while playing your first DolbyVision title. From here on out, when a DolbyVision UHD source is detected and playing, the Picture Mode switches to Calibrated Dark and it's settings automatically to change to the default values. The real DV processing is happening "under the sheets". The impact of changing these settings while DV is engaged is a bit unclear and reports are varied. Every display that that has the ability to display DV has a "Golden Reference". The Golden Reference allows the mastered, graded DV film to display precisely on a DV enabled monitor. For this reason I suggest NOT altering the Calibrated Dark picture mode while DV is engaged. The color values, brightness and black level are being repeated on your home display virtually identically to the way the films creators viewed it during the final mastering process. By all means, do what you want. It's your TV. The interplay of the picture mode controls while DV is engaged is just not entirely understood at this time. We do know that changing backlight, for instance, has no affect on peak white, but rather impacts the midtown luminance curve.

HDR10 Settings

HDR10 works similar to DV in that when the display detects HDR10 metadata on HDMI ports 1-4, it will access the "hidden" Picture Mode for Calibrated or Calibrated Dark). This is NOT the standard PM you get when playing non-HDR or non-DV content. FW 3.0.6.4 now has discreet setting and calibration banks for HDR-10. Settings in HDR10 update automatically when HDR10 is playing (brightness, contrast and color) This firmware has color at a default of 58. Backlight can be modified. Some users report great results at 80-100 backlight. Backlight settings will be subjective. Most user will get great results with just these 2 changes; gamma and backlight. Having tested this personally now, I find that with my calibration, leaving backlight at 65-75 and gamma at 2.1 works universally well for all of my 4k Bluray titles. If you like it brighter, increase gamma to 2.2. My recommendation.

Unlike DolbyVision, the specs, targets and workflow is not nearly as buttoned-up as DV. Expect there to be variation from disk to disk in how they look at gamma and backlight settings. You should expect to modify them with HDR10.

HDR10 metadata is "static". A compromise set point for the entire film is used for the grade. DV allows the dynamic range to vary scene by scene.

Problems getting HDR10 to work? 1. Toggle HDMI subsampling on the display while HDR10 content is playing. User find this works to trigger HDR10. 2. It's very important with 4k, HDMI 2.0a signals to use a certified 18Gb HDMI cable. If the cable is longer than 15ft, you may struggle finding a cable that works reliably. I use a BJC series 1, 35' and it has reliably passed 4k/60 4:4:4.

ARC audio (necessary for Lossy Dolby Atmos from the Casting apps. This is a generalized instruction for 1st time setup.)

1. HMDI ARC uses HDMI 1 on the P series. All casting audio will route back to your AVR via a cable betwee your TV and the AVR. Check your AVR manual for which port is your ARC port (likely HDMI Output 1) Confused?? Your HDMI video output cable from the AVR IS your audio cable back to the AVR as well. It piggybacks.

Turn on CEC on the P (in system settings)

Turn on your AVR's Control with HDMI function. There will be some options here. (you'll need your manual)

Turn everything on with the TV going on last and wait a bit for the TV to find the AVR. If you've got both devices setup right, you'll get your Cast channel audio to the AVR.

Once ARC is working and the P series has discovered and added the AVR to it's device list, the display should start 1st as ARC will power up your AVR. This startup sequence is important for ARC to work properly and also is critical if you use a Harmony Hub device. The Vizio should be the 1st device in any activities "start sequence" if you are using ARC.

2. There's also an optical out port on the P series. Plug that cable into this and the optical port on the AVR. There's probably some setup required on the AVR to assign the optical in to a selectable input. You can change the AVR to that input to monitor the sound of the Casting channel.

UPDATED MOTION NOTES 12/21/2016: provided by @mpgxsvcd on firmware 3.0.6.4 FW.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1214.html#post49141025

An additional epic post on Motion Blur by @mpgxsvcd

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...dv-no-price-talk-please-653.html#post45183633

Picture Modes:

Picture modes contain all of the settings that impact picture quality. There are a few things to understand about certain PM's and certain settings:

1. Color temperature: You have 3 universal color temperatures on the P series for standard viewing; normal, cool and computer. For each color temperature there is a related calibration table which is accessed under "Color Calibration". Any change in calibration setting for any of the color temperatures become universal across all Picture modes and HDMI inputs. So, if you have selected "normal" for Calibrated Dark on HDMI input 1, this is the same as "normal" on HDMI 2, Calibrated. You cannot have different calibration settings for "normal" or the other 2 color temperatures. The exception to this is when the TV is in HDR-DV or HDR-10 mode (triggered specifically by DolbyVision or HDR-10 content). The DV and HDR-10 mode accesses a unique calibration table for the color temperatures and can be calibrated independently with special calibration software.

2. Picture modes can be modified and saved under new names. You can have lots of custom picture modes. The color temperature you choose to use with a PM is one of the 3 color temperatures and it's related calibration. All of the other settings in a PM, can be customized by Picture Mode and saved. The factory Picture Modes and their settings are unique to each HDMI input so you can have a different settings for Calibrated Dark on HDMI 1 than you have on HDMI

3. Colorspace does not save with Picture Modes. If you set the display to calibrated dark and change colorspace to "RGB", it will load as "RGB" in all other PM's. For this reason I recommend you set colorspace to "auto".

Some published and unpublished specs: Matt McRae, the CTO of Vizio, has been kind enough to frequent the thread since inception and has provided clarification of some technical aspects the displays. He continues to drop in occasionally and update us on all things P series.

HDMI port specs

HDMI Inputs

HDMI Ports5 (2 side; 3 down)

HDMI VersionPorts 1-4 support v2.0 (upgrade 2.0a coming soon); Port 5 supports v1.4

HDCP VersionPorts 1- 4 supports: v2.2; Port 5 supports: v2.0

HDMI 1-4 Tech Specs600MHz pixel clock rate: 2160p@60fps, 4:4:4, 8-bit | 2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 12-bit, 2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 12-bit

HDMI 5 Tech Specs 370MHz pixel clock rate: 2160p@60fps, 4:2:2, 8-bit | 2160p@60fps, 4:2:0, 10-bit

1080p@120fps, 4:4:4, 10-bit | 1080p@120fps, 4:2:2, 12-bit

Confirmed HDMI port specs provided by @JaremyP :

So using Nvidia Control Panel on HDMI 1, here is what I'm able to pass through from the PC:

4K 60 YCbCr 4:2:0 8/12 bit color

4K 60 YCbCr 4:2:2 8/10/12 bit color

4K 60 YCbCr 4:4:4 8 bit color

4K 60 RGB 8 bit color
in all cases except the YCbCr 4:2:2 one, the Marantz info screen agreed with what was set in the Nvidia app. In the 4:2:2 case, the Marantz shows the color as "---".

All of these worked fine getting an image on the screen with quick change/sync through the Monoprice Cabernet (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12737). I tried 4K/30 with RGB and that could do 8 or 12 bit color.

I'll do the same test for HDMI 5 as well as trying 1080/120 on HDMI 5.

Also, I checked what I get from the Samsung K8500 on the menu after a fresh start up. I have the output set to 2160 and am running 1009 firmware. It showed as 4K 60 YCbCr 4:2:0 12 bit in the Marantz.

Panel and bit depth:

As you can imagine... we are now getting close to secret sauce :) I can tell you that the panels are true 10bit (not 8bit + FRC dithering etc). And I can tell you that to reach this color fidelity we modified LED phosphors and chemistry AND spec'd custom color filters.

Color Gamut

Had the product team pull a random P Series sample of engineering and run tests. A couple of notes: there is typically a couple of % of variation among panels... and we have seen at least a couple of % variation depending on testing equipment etc. Also note that when we quote our color gamuts we are quoting native panel capability (before calibration etc) so you will see some differences there (this is why I showed some calculations in Vivid as well for your reference).

See attached snapshot from our color gamut calculation tool based on our measurements this week on P Series samples. (at end of post)

We also have our team calling Rtings.com to determine their test methodology.

4k with 4:4:4 color depth. Here's a good rebut from @mpgxsvcd in regards to the Rtings claim that the P series only supports 4:2:2 (this is really only an issue for users looking to use the P series as a computer monitor).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...dv-no-price-talk-please-679.html#post45303033

A followup from Rtings on 4k/4:4:4 posted 7/20/2016: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...dv-no-price-talk-please-713.html#post45472833

Calibration info from Matt: (initially references the M series as a baseline in his response)

Similar architecture... the thought process is that you use CMS to dial in the panel to the target color temp etc. This is something you would not want changing input to input as you are dialing in your specific panel. Then all other picture controls will give you further control from that calibrated base line are input specific.

The color temps are:

Normal: D65

Computer: 9300K

Cool: S curve

FALD on/off for calibration. We factory calibrate to Gamma 2.2 with FALD off. Turning it on can have a small effect but not much (Gamma will stay between 2.2-2.3). If you then went into Gamma settings and changed from the preset 2.2 to 2.4 you would get something extremely close to BT1886. Then adjustments in the 11 point for 40 IRE and below can refine it further.

Dolby Vision info

Yes. DolbyVision is a separate mode for each as well. The TV will detect DV and switch into DolbyVision mode which can be calibrated separately.

Trying to get our mini-guide to DV calibration released to you guys (need to get clearance) which explains the DV calibration method we developed with SpectraCal.

Interested in Calibrating your P series display? Here's your resource: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...p-series-calibration-thread.html#post43146042

DolbyVision Calibration Guide (provided by Matt McRae and Vizio)

attached below near the end of the post...

ATMOS (the lossy version) and DD+ over ARC users...

From Matt: We just finished hours of testing and confirmed that both ATMOS and DD+ work to our test devices including an Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver. You can ignore the 15min post I did before (was an issue with a speaker system, not our TV).

So anybody having issues outputting ATMOS or DD+ over ARC... please PM me.

Panel info

P75 is custom spec'd glass from AUO with a VIZIO designed backlight. Everything is AUO except 55" IPS which is LGD

Game Mode: GLL

Game mode works on all HDMI ports... but HDMI 1-4 will get below 30ms in Game Mode while HDMI 5 will get below 20ms in Game mode...

Troubleshooting:

Problems with ARC? UPDATE 6/4/2016

HDMI Control (which includes ARC and CEC) is known to be finicky and buggy. If for some reason your AVR and your display lose connection and ARC stops working, reset your ARC connection by shutting things down and unplugging the AVR for a few minutes. Turn the display on first then the AVR and it's likely the systems will sync again properly. More and more P series owners are reporting success with ARC and DD+/Atmos over ARC. Problems remain however. With the number of AVR's out there and all the other variables that can affect this working correctly, I recommend contacting Vizio for support as they may be able to guide you to the correct setup and solution. Cable length and quality for the primary HDMI link between the AVR and Display continues to be a critical component to make this work.

Casting Apps and issues:

If you have trouble getting your tablet app to Cast or even finding the Cast feature in the app, make sure the tablet is properly paired with the TV. Sometimes re-pairing the tablet/or mobile device will resolve connectivity issues. If it still doesn't work, delete the app and reinstall it. This will resolve most issues.

2 approaches provided by @michaelw9 and @hernanu [/B]

I started having problems with my P65 having issues staying connected to the network and casting from the tablet. After a couple hours of messing with it, I fixed the problem. For whatever reason the SmartCast software is assigning the TV via DHCP an invalid IP address for its gateway (NOT the router).

The solution should be:

1) Uninstall the updates to the SmartCast app and delete everything and then reupdate it in the play store

2) Forget all of the Wifi networks on the tablet including the TV's wifi

3) Restart the TV

4) Open the app again and re-pair with it over Bluetooth if possible. The fastest way for it to connect with the TV is to hold the tablet parallel to the floor and exactly touch the top of the tablet to the bottom right bezel of the TV and wait a few seconds.

5) Click the gear to go into the display settings and then go to Network

6) Scroll down to Manual Setup

7) Turn DHCP off

8) Assign a manual IP address that is unique for your network and unique if you have multiple P-series TVs

9) Set the gateway and Alt DNS back to your router's IP address [for whatever the reason, mine kept resetting itself back to something that wasn't the router, so of course it had no network connection and couldn't cast)

10) Back out, close the SmartCast app by swiping it in the multi-app view, and restart it

11) Restart the TV

12) Should be working now, it was for me after hours of losing the pairing and the TV saying Network Connection Lost

Or this: http://lifehacker.com/5822605/how-t...o-you-never-have-to-check-an-ip-address-again

Performing a "soft reset" of the display:

Turn off the display and unplug it. Press and hold the power button on the back of the display for approximately 10 seconds. Plug it back in and turn it back on. This will often clear up glitchy behaviors without changing/deleting any of your settings.

Restore to Factory Settings:

This option will often resolve initial setup issues that result in an inability to either fully complete the setup or a faulty setup. "Factory Restore" is found in the Vizio app under Settings, System, Reset and Admin.

Firmware Updates:

Firmware updates on the P series happen automatically as Vizio rolls out new firmware. Vizio tends to release new firmware using a tiered approach and not everyone will receive it at the same time. Sometimes you can trigger the update by going to Settings, System, Service Check. The display will need to be turned off for 15m to an hour and then turned back on to recognize that an update is available (this doesn't always work). If you display has not been scheduled for a firmware update, you will simply have to wait your turn. In the early phases of new firmware release, Vizio does not post the firmware on their site for USB update. After a few weeks, manual firmware updating is available (see the instructions early in this post for updating via USB).

My Day 1 mini review from March 2016:

*Black Level: 9-10

*Blooming: 9

*Dynamic Range: 10

*Color Gamut: 10

*DSE: 8

*Brightness: 10

*Motion: 8

*Cable viewing: 7-8 until 720p/1080i then 9 (very bandwidth/compression dependent though)

*Tablet remote: 9 (it's growing on me). It will be a 10 with tighter Cast behavior, audio scrubbing and some input options to improve slider function.

*4k picture quality: 9-10, depending on the source.

*Casting: absolutely the right approach

*Casting audio: 6 (getting some dropouts when set to Dolby Digital and no Atmos that I can make work via ARC)

*1080p Bluray: 9

*Samsung UHD Bluray: 8 w/o HDR. Narrow color gamut but you can mimic HDR with some tweaking.

*FALD: 9 but it may be a 10. I have to pay a little more attention to some challenging scenes.

I think they've accomplished something quite important with this display. There's nothing wrong with standard DR 4k. I loved my M80 but this is just a quantum improvement. Very surprised with what they engineered here for the money. Kudos to Vizio.

Miscellaneous Notes:

Recommendations regarding posting pictures on the Vizio P series owners thread.

1. Post pictures to show off your TV and picture, but do it for fun. 2. It's suggested not to post pictures to try and prove a point about "this display vs that display". There's way too many variables involved to successfully prove anything with a "picture of a picture".

4/2/2016: Home Theater Geeks show w/ Scott, Tom and Tyler discussing the Vizio P. Some Pre and Post Calibration information in the thread as well. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/138-avs-forum-podcasts/2387010-vizio-p-series.html#post42923058

4/6/2016: A few noteworthy items:

Samsung's K8500 UHD Bluray player now boots properly when HDMI inputs 1-4 are used on the P series IF you set the resolution on the K8500 to "auto".

Most VUDU UHD titles now working in UHD mode with DolbyVision.

4/12/2016: AVexcel Podcast covers the 2016 Vizio P series (episode 11, beginning around 9:13) w/ Patrick Norton and Robert Heron http://www.avexcel.com/episodes/episode-011

4/15/2016: Excellent article posted on AVS today by Scott Wilkerson on 10bit vs 8 bit panels.

4/18/2016: 4k's P Series Review.

5/3/2016: Amazon app on the Samsung K8500 UHD Bluray player now supports streaming HDR/10. Presumption is that this will be a good solution for streaming Amazon content to the P series (with HDR10) given that an Amazon app with casting is absent on the P series tablet/platform.

5/25/2016: 600Mhz HDMI, 4k/60 4:4:4 8bit, AVR's, P Series HDMI subsampling and Long Cables.

HDMI 1-4 on the P series can accept 4k/60 4:4:4 8 bit signals with HDMI subsampling enabled. Getting the signal to the TV is a challenge for a short cable, much less a long one. Cables capable of carrying the 600Mhz signal necessary are rare. Until today, I'd yet to find one that worked. It's tough to get a 12ft cable to work, much less a 35ft (which is what I need). I tested a really robust cable today supplied for test purposes by Blue Jean Cables. It works. I'm passing this 4k/60 signal from the K8500 player and YouTube 4k/60 videos as well. If you need a long-run cable for 4k, this is a good place to start. ARC is working as well.

The cable I'm using successfully is a BJC Series-1 Belden Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable. It can be found here: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cable.htm

Dolby Vision Video Recommendations: UPDATED 7/9/2016

1. Pacific Rim, (DV grade 10) or Mad Max (DV grade 10)

2. Gatsby: DV grade 10 (I think the best personally but the other 2 more dramatic)

3. Heart of the Sea (great) DV grade 8

4. Point Break (very good to look at) DV grade 8

5. The Lego Movie (very, very good but animation is cheating) DV grade 8

6. Live Die Repeat ... AS GOOD AS THE REST NOW!! LOOKS GREAT. DV grade 7/8

7. Pan: GREATLY IMPROVED AND LOOKS PHENOMENAL NOW. DV grade 8.

8. Batman vs. Superman extended: Dark grade but quite good in action sequences. Some of these titles really benefit from proper DV calibration. Use gamma 2.1 or 2.0. Grade 8

9. The Watchmen: Weirdly, cool movie (not for everyone). Dark grade but similar comments to B vs S. Grade 7/8

10. San Andreas... Meh. Grade is ok. Use gamma 2.1. Grade 6

5/29/2016: Just watched Watchmen. Very good. (long). Looks good. DV grade 7/8. Definitely a theatrical feel so watch dark room if possible. Cool movie.

The Epic 4k HDR Master List provided by @ray0414 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ailable-4k-hdr-titles-will-updated-often.html

6/17/2016: HDR10 for HDMI is close. Tweet by Matt McRae indicates it's in testing and being tweaked. Full release of HDR10 (which includes support for casted content) is late summer. Firmware 1.1.14.4 has been very good for me. VUDU is now working reliably again (server side issue). Some users continue to report split screen issues occasionally. Screen tearing is diminished but still reported by a few (P75 users). Green center band issue is reported by some P65 users. Seems to be getting resolved . Inventory has been constrained but shipments hitting BB again. P series arriving to Canada this month. Rumors persist of release to other retail and online vendor soon in the US.

6/20/2016: Netflix adds "The Do Over" in DolbyVision. Just discovered The Ridiculous 6 as well

6/28/2016: P series now available at Costco in Canada (P50 & P65 confirmed)

6/30/2016: Amazon announces DolbyVision content but it appears to be "proprietary" to LG. To my knowledge the external player Amazon app on the Roku4, Samsung K8500 and nvidia Shield will not support DV for Vizio P or R series displays at this time. As we all know, there is NO Amazon app for the Vizio P series due to a turf war between Google and Amazon. Join me in hating this nonsense. :mad:

6/30/2016: Marco Polo season 2 in DolbyVision is coming July 1.

6/30/2016: Harmony App updates released for both Android and iOS. VUDU app update released for iOS (presume there's a release coming for Android). JUST IN... VUDU app on Android breaks loading UHD/DV on startup. You have to switch it after it loads in HDX by tapping on the gray video control bar at the bottom of the app and switch to UHD this way. Then it will change to UHD/DV. The iOS app for iPhone or iPad works correctly.

Update: 7/8/16... VUDU app for Android fixed. UHD DV casting working correctly again.

FYI to iOS users: If you enter into the pubic beta of iOS 10, the VUDU app for iOS will not allow you to login. It's apparently not compatible at this time with iOS10. I'd recommend NOT using the public beta if you are dependent on your iPhone for casting to the P series.

7/13/2016: Updates available on Android for the Vizio app. Updates for both iOS and Android for the Harmony app.

7/30/2016: My initial experiences with HDR10:

At first glance

4K HDR Bluray impressions:

8/2/2016: Xbox 1 S pre-orders deliver today. Many P series owners taking delivery as a gaming device and 4k Bluray player. Promise of HDR for Bluray, Netflix and gaming driving interest. Bitstream for 3D audio potentially coming in future firmware release. Early Review HERE

11/23/2016: Note for Harmony users: There's a bug with selecting the Cast input in FW 3.0.6.4. Workaround here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...v-no-price-talk-please-1129.html#post48258057

Supercharge your Home Theater with Hue lights. Philips Hue via the Hue Hub allows you to add room light control to your home theater and to your Vizio tablet, iPhone, iPad or any Android device. The color and white Hue lights are entirely programmable and you can create scenes that can in turn be added to hard buttons on a Harmony Elite or as scenes to the Hub app on you tablets/iphones etc. There are bulbs for canisters, traditional lamps, rope lights for behind displays or step lighting and even free standing remote lights. These are not inexpensive bulbs but it's the most cost effective solution for multipurpose rooms and user installable. The newest versions of the color bulbs are awesome. http://www2.meethue.com/en-us/

A final note about using the forum (speaking from experience and equally guilty...)

You know when you walk into the kitchen and your wife is cooking and you decide to "pitch in". The first thing you do is ask her something like "honey, where's the spatula?..... Mrs Captain Obvious then says...." the same place you found it the last time you asked".

We're all guilty of asking questions that have been answered 100 times. SEARCH.

Attachments

See less See more
1 2
#39,861 ·
Beta 3.0.13.5 seems to handle HDMI cec better than the previous beta....

One thing that really disappoints me is that Vizio removed 50hz support. This was the 1st thing I checked for when I purchased the TV, and now that I have no way to return it, the support has been removed. This is very bad to just remove a resolution that was supported out of the box.
Matt's aware of the 50hz issue and says they are looking into adding it back.

#39,862 ·
Light bleed on P55

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2016 P55-C1 and had a question. How can you tell if you ended up with a decent vs a flawed panel?

Specifically I notice that in a completely dark room, there is a fair bit of light bleed, particularly in the corners.

I've uploaded a photo taken on my Galaxy S7 in pitch black. The TV was set to HDMI 4 and in Game mode.

Is this amount of light bleed typical/normal or do I have a dud? Not sure if I should be asking for a replacement unit or not.

Would really appreciate advice from any veteran P55 owners.

Cheers,

R

Attachments

#39,863 ·
Re: Letterbox Bars Not As Dark / Fluctuates

Ya it's the new one 3.0.13.5.
I never had a problem on the previous version
but this one is night and day worse.

Some of us do not Factory Reset with newer Firmware unless we run into some problems that are isolated and not known to be tied to the Firmware itself.

Others always Reset with newer Firmware. I usually do not.

Perhaps you should do a Factory Reset. Let us know if it helps.

#39,864 ·
Beta 3.0.13.5 seems to handle HDMI cec better than the previous beta. Onkyo NR656 arc was not working reliably with the previous beta(but works fine with two other brands of TV I own). This version works (and sync seems better), but has frequent short dropouts while casting. And yes, certified cables. Settings are Speakers Off/Bitstream.

When the dropouts happen, my receiver doesn't 'drop' the Dolby icon. It isn't a hard disconnect, just blips of no sound. One thing that really disappoints me is that Vizio removed 50hz support. This was the 1st thing I checked for when I purchased the TV, and now that I have no way to return it, the support has been removed. This is very bad to just remove a resolution that was supported out of the box.

I appreciate the measures that Vizio is taking to get early firmware to people on this forum, but I would recommend that Vizio does two things.

1. Establish a public bug tracker.
2. Enable an "advanced" mode that allows for more granular changes to HDMI-cec, arc, etc to allow for better debugging of the errors people have. I would suggest a verbose mode in the smartcast app or the ability to download/view logs.
Just an FYI, I know you said you already have a certified cable. But multiple users here including me have only gotten ARC audio drop outs to stop by using a Blue Jeans Cable. Every cable I have is suppose to be high speed and certified yet the only one that ARC actually worked with was the Blue jeans cable. It may for some reason just work better with the Vizio.

#39,866 ·
In case anybody else is having issues with the screen freezing (while audio continues in the background), I had a service call yesterday, and they replaced two boards, and the problem has not repeated as of yet (knock on silicon). Oddly enough, one issue they wanted to clarify with me before sending out a tech was if I had a Panasonic TV in my house. Apparently Panasonic TV's can cause issues with Vizio TV's.

#39,867 ·
I recently purchased a 2016 P55-C1...

How can you tell if you ended
up with a decent vs a flawed panel?

:eek:

Others will get back to you on your P55, but that is the 'Partly Cloudy' syndrome. :eek:

What Picture Setting is this?

If you made any adjustments, post any and all changes.

I know the IPS panel can have a bit of corner 'Cloudiness', but that pic takes the 'trophy'.

#39,868 ·
In case anybody else is having issues with the screen freezing (while audio continues in the background), I had a service call yesterday, and they replaced two boards, and the problem has not repeated as of yet (knock on silicon). Oddly enough, one issue they wanted to clarify with me before sending out a tech was if I had a Panasonic TV in my house. Apparently Panasonic TV's can cause issues with Vizio TV's.
Wait, what?

#39,869 ·
Wait, what?
Yeah, that was my reaction as well. They could offer no further explanation. It was just in their notes when they were trying to assist me with troubleshooting over the phone.

#39,871 ·
@jeffrey suchocki ;

Vudu has an internal speed test you can run so you know the speed you are getting between Vudu and you which is the most important one. Run that and see what you get for a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I know. But where the hell is the speedtest option in the Vudu Vizio Casting app? I can find it just fine with the Vudu app on my Roku Premiere+ (which incidentally says I have sufficient bandwidth for UHD streaming). But I've looked at every menu/setting on the Vizio Vudu app, and I can't find that speed test option available. I'm either having a total brain fart and simply not "seeing" it in the app for some reason, it's called something different in the Vizio Smartcast Vudu app relative to the Roku Vudu app (and I'm failing to recognize that), or it's not available in the Vizio Vudu app (for whatever reason). If the Vudu speedtest is there in the Vizio Vudu app, if you wouldn't mind pointing me to it (which menu options?), I'd greatly appreciate it. I just don't see it. I can find it fine on my Roku Vudu app, but those options aren't available on the Vizio Vudu app.

The difference matters (perhaps) for two reasons--the Roku is using Wifi and is connected via HDMI, while the Vizio is hardwired via powerline (though as mentioned on a prior post, the Vizio Smartcast app speed test doesn't vary much whether I have the Vizio hardwired or via wifi) and is obviously using Cast. So want to test the same "tunnel", for lack of a better term, as I would be using when Casting.

I may try troubleshooting the DNS server issue another poster mentioned. I'll have to Google it to see how I do that. Thanks for the feedback.

#39,877 ·
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2016 P55-C1 and had a question. How can you tell if you ended up with a decent vs a flawed panel?

Specifically I notice that in a completely dark room, there is a fair bit of light bleed, particularly in the corners.

I've uploaded a photo taken on my Galaxy S7 in pitch black. The TV was set to HDMI 4 and in Game mode.

Is this amount of light bleed typical/normal or do I have a dud? Not sure if I should be asking for a replacement unit or not.

Would really appreciate advice from any veteran P55 owners.

Cheers,

R
Is that with active led on or off?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

#39,878 ·
Hey all, does this set allow you to access you vids via the USB port and display any sort of file system? I'd imagine not with all the functionality being built into the tablet but was wondering if USB attached devices would work or not.
It played my basic .mp4 files, but there is no controllability. I would suggest setting up a Plex server or getting something like a Roku.

#39,879 ·
@ffactoryxx

I was amazed that your previous post of your 10% Flat Field showed such a colorful grid pattern.

I checked my patterns moments ago, and :eek: I see the same!

Seems the recent Firmware did this?

Anyone else seeing this? Check all your Flat Fields.

Attachments

#39,880 ·
Thanks again. Did plug into the wall via a USB adapter, and it has come back to life, to the extent that it will power on. That, however, did not charge the battery a lick, and it was still sitting on 0% after 30-40 minutes of charging. Did what you suggested and pulled the plug on the dock and used it to directly charge the tablet. Now at 70%, so I'm thinking that has done the trick.

The charging dock is going into storage. Not sure what the problem was, but it was just somehow heating the tablet without charging it at all. Appreciate the help!
No problem. I bought a Qi wireless charging pad to put on my desk, and I would sit my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on it to charge without having to plug it in. I experienced something similar. My phone, and the charging pad, would get really hot, and with my phone connected to WiFi and syncing email and such periodically, it was using the same amount of power that it was getting from the wireless charger, so my battery level would never go up. It only prevented my battery from going down. Needless to say, it went in the garbage. I'm not sure if wireless charging has got better since then, but if people are expected to use it, it needs to improve. I just bought a new car, and it has a wireless charger built into a small storage area in the dashboard, just large enough for a phone, but I haven't even tried it. If I did, then I wouldn't be able to read emails and surf the web while I'm driving. :)