AVS Forum banner

Paralysis by Analysis

4K views 62 replies 23 participants last post by  speedtoburn 
#1 ·
Seriously.

My old school Sony (KDL52XBR-5) randomly blew something late last Saturday evening, started smoking and caught fire in the back a little bit. Needless to say, that TV is toast.

I've been researching TV's nonstop since to the point where my eyes water from reading review after review after review and it's completely polarizing. One reviewer likes a particular make/model, the next reviewer dogs it on and on and on.

I think i've narrowed it down to one of three models in my budget of $2000 - $2500, the LG 65UH7700, The Samsung JS8500 or the Sony 65X930C but honestly i have no clue if any of those are any good or what the hell I'm doing, I could be completely off base. I basically just sit in front of my TV at night after I get my kids to bed and either watch some movies or play my PS4, with 5 kids the evening is really the only free time i get.

Any recommendations on how to make a decision and move the hell on or if I'm even on the right track with any of those models would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
The Js8500 and the Sony 930c are both very good sets. Stay away from the LG in my opinion.

Sony = Superior upscaling, motion, colors (Nice built in speakers)

#4 ·
I had not considered a Vizio. I was led to believe that they were really not on par quality wise with any of the major manufacturers, is that not true? The reason I say that is because I asked a rep at Brandsmart about Vizio's and he said that they were awful and to stay away from them?

#5 ·
Never trust a sales person. Their job is to sell, and if they work on commission they of course steer you to the pricier product.

You need to compare price value and probably wait until the first reviews for the new Vizio are out, but so far this particular 2016 P-Series seems to be challenging the big guys like Sony and Samsung.

Sent from my SmartTV

#9 ·
You have done a great job in narrowing it down to those 3 choices. I think now, the best course of action is to go to the store and check out the tvs and their image quality as well as physical qualities. I personally like that SONY's use of gorilla glass to make 1 smooth continuous surface. The Samsung gives you the detachable one connect box with ports. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Also, if you are a Costco member they carry the JS8500 in black, it looks much sleeker in my opinion. Again, personally I would buy the Sony 930C if it were my money. Good luck!

#12 ·
I am purchasing a new TV as well (most likely in 3-5 months) and was looking heavily at Sony and Samsung, but the new Vizio sets are very hard to beat for the money. I have never owned a Vizio anything but started to take notice when I saw the current M model (2015) and when the 2016 P series was announced it appears to me that Vizio has really elevated their game.

There will be pros and cons with all these brands, it really comes down to your budget and priority. For me, I really wanted FALD, 4K, HDR. I also much preferred a 10bit panel vs 8bit. Vizio dropped 3D, but added Dolby Vision which Samsung and Sony don't offer. If you are someone who likes streaming and sees yourself doing more of it in the future, Dolby Vision could be a big deal down the road as more content becomes available.

I have always been partial to Sony and Panasonic TV's in the past but am most likely buying a Vizio this time.

#11 · (Edited)
I posted a similar thread here yesterday about how much research one has to do to make a TV buying decision. No one has responded yet. The model numbers are confusing as to letting you know which ones are the top models or mid models. The features are randomly thrown up on the board in a scattered manor. Some features aren't posted on one model, but posted on another.
I have been following Vizio (I think they are still an American company) for a while. I have one in my Br. And one in the kitchen.
Getting ready to purchase the new P series Vizio 65". I'll move my 55" Samsung into the kitchen.
Go to the http://www.vizio.com web site and take a look at the 55" and the 65", but note that those two models use two different types of panels. Google reviews for these models. All are excellent. Basically Vizio has improved last years models... Some are calling them "game changers".
I can see why salespeople might try to sell others because these sets are bottom priced as they arrive at the stores with less mark up to consumers.

#13 ·
My reasoning is, that the Vizio is a FALD and it supports DolbyVision (fancy HDR), where the Samsung does only support HDR10.
And since I keep my TVs a couple of years I want to be up2date.

The JS8500 has its own issues: Edge-lit and thus flashlighting and the oh so famous blue corners. Issues I could live with, but the HDR and FALD are my two weak spots and thus I'll try the P65.

And @ack_bk seems to be in the boat with me :D

..and the Vizio is $200 cheaper (for what I paid for the 65js8500).
But as other said: all choices here are good, but you might like the picture of a Samsung better than of a Vizio or Sony, or the other way around and then decide, is the picture and the features of the TV worth the price difference? That's why I'll probably keep the vIZIO, which I yet have to get out of the box. (I received it this morning ;) )

#15 ·
This is exactly why you buy the $89 Square Trade warranty from Costco for TV's that cost over $1K that extends your warranty 3 years.

I got burned not once, but twice by Samsung over the years and have learned to just pony up and get the extended warranty and peace of mind when you buy an expensive TV.

#21 ·
I am getting the new Vizio P series after seriously considering the JS8500 and the X930C. Was set on the Sony but after following the Vizio's threads, l decided that FALD, DV, and the promise of HDR10 in a few months was enough to sway me.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
#36 ·
BTW, where would one actually purchase one of these new Vizio P series TVs? Just checked Amazon and Best Buy and did not find them.

#38 ·
A lot of good info here, appreciate the insight from everyone.

To provide an update, basically after reading peoples recommendations in here and being tired of reading endless reviews, I went to Best Buy during my lunch break and just said screw it and bought the Vizio despite the fact that prior to this thread I was an xbrx930c lean.

Oddly enough, Best Buy did not have a 65inch on display because they are so new. After I made the purchase, I wondered if i just made a dumb move buying a TV that I hadn't actually laid eyes on. I asked the Sales Associate if he was certain that they did not have one on display anywhere in the store, he assured me he was. As I was on my way out the door, he came up to me and said that one of his colleagues just made him aware that they actually did have the 75 inch version on display if i wanted to look at it and so i did and here's where the problem began.

The Vizio happened to be on display right next to the 75 inch Sony XBR model that I think is the big brother of the xbrx930C. That got me curious so i had the Sales Associate start switching the USB 3.0 stick with the demo 4K content back and forth between the two sets and the Sony was NOTICEBALY superior in the brightness and colors. I turned right back around, had my purchase refunded and left the store more disheartened and confused than ever if im being totally honest.

I can honestly say that when I made the decision to purchase the Vizio I was more happy at the fact that I reached a decision and the relief it broughts vs. the tv itself and to me that's sad. I'm thinking i should be happy about the tv, not the simple fact that I made the decision but that's how torturous i've made this on myself.

So yeah, up at 1AM again, trying to make sense of everything and still extremely frustrated. It sucks.

#47 ·
I understand your frustration.

I bought a Samsung JS8500 recently and between the constant stuttering/frame drops on all my blu-ray content and the uncontrollable brightness fluctuations in the letterbox bars, I'm ready to take the set back while I still can. But that leaves me right back to where I started, and I have agonized for weeks over what set to purchase.

I need a 55" because I have no room for a larger size. I will not buy a TV that doesn't support 3D, so the 2016 Samsungs and Vizios are completely out of the game. That leaves only 3 choices really. The 2015 Samsung JS8500 that's giving me so much trouble. The new 2016 LG UH8500 - except that only includes an 8-bit panel so I'm ruling that out as it's not very future-proofed if it's not even 10-bit. And the 2016 Sony X930D, which looks like a strong possibility but it costs many hundreds more than I paid for the JS8500 and the recent reports of bent frames has me very concerned about the build quality.

It really sucks to be so limited when you would think we should have more choices than ever. LG has the UH9500 coming out soon which will have a 10-bit panel, but the smallest size will be 65". So LG gives me the choice of the 8500 with an 8-bit panel or the 9500 with a 10-bit panel but no 55" size. Plus the LG blacks are terrible anyways. It's enough to drive one mad. I'm saddened that 3D is being dropped so abruptly while 3D movies are still widely released and sold on blu-ray, and it leaves me with practically no choices. TV shopping is an incredibly frustrating and depressing thing. I've been stressed since I first set up my Samsung thanks to the horrible motion issues and letterbox flickering. Instead of being excited and enjoying the new set, I've been stressed over what to do about it.

#39 ·
So if you though the Sony had a better picture why not but the Sony? I would forget all the advertising and specifications, just go to Best Buy (or another retailer) and compare the sets in your price range and pick the set that looks best to you and has the features you want. Remember the TV will be in your house and you need to enjoy it.

#40 ·
Resist the urge to become frustrated and enjoy the process. IMO the x940C is the superior set, besides not being compatible with DV (not a deal breaker in my book), it should outperform the Vizio. Understand that the Vizio may also benefit from calibration as well and l as l have learnt here, BB may not be the best environment to judge a displays picture.

The Vizio gives you the most bang for the buck, but l dont believe it is going to outperform Sony's flagship.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

#42 · (Edited)
OP's budget is $2500 or less, so displays above that don't need to be discussed here. Just sayin'!

But I can honestly say, the JS8500 and P65 have their strength and weaknesses (i have no experience with LG). Brand vs Features... I'd rather drive a fully loaded Hyundai Genesis at half the price of a loaded BMW 5-Series. But that's just me. :)

#43 ·
You should have just left with the Vizio. If you didn't like it, you could easily return it for the Sony. My guess is they had the Sony calibrated and had just recently installed the Vizio and it was in default torch mode.

#46 ·
Well they didn't have a 65 Vizio for me to look at...I've still yet to lay eyes on the 65 Vizio. I bought it yesterday mainly because a few people in this thread strongly recommend it. The Vizio I was looking at was the 75 inch P series...big brother of the one I bought and then returned before leaving the store.

To answer your question, I didn't adjust anything, I was just comparing the pictures on the floor "as-is" so to speak.

#49 ·
This bickering over Dolby Vision is pointless. I just got through voicing my frustration over how quickly the industry has dropped 3D even though Hollywood is still releasing 3D films. Does anybody here really think there's any guarantee that Dolby Vision will even have any support 2 years from now? I'm not even convinced UHD will be around in 2 years let alone Dolby Vision. If there's not as much interest in Dolby Vision as the industry would like, they will drop it in a heartbeat, just like they are abandoning 3D so quickly with absolutely no consideration for all those who still buy 3D discs.

I do think it's pretty cheap of Sony and Samsung not to include it when LG and Vizio can manage to, but that shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

#51 ·
DV/HDR is very different than 3D. You don't need glasses, and companies like Netflix are going to be pushing it. Netflix is expecting upwards of 20% of it's content to be in DV/HDR in the next couple of years and I suspect you will see other providers follow.

It probably should not be a deal breaker either, but it's certainly a big advantage (in my opinion). Especially on a TV that already has FALD, HDR, and a 10bit panel. The Sony really better be the better looking TV because right now, even with $500 off MSRP at Best Buy, the 65" 930D cost $1500 more than the Vizio. $1500 buys a very nice receiver and speaker setup :)

#50 ·
I think we've all felt this pain to a certain extent.

First things first is you need to set your boundaries for imagery. What is it that's important to you specifically? Is it native contrast and head on performance, is it the colour gamut? Then when you've narrowed down what are the important parts it's time to move forward and ask yourself how long you plan on having the set for.

I see people on these forums who have a consistent upgrade plan of only a few years and for me it's crazy, but I might not be for you. Do you want a TV to last for as long as possible or is this a place holder until HDR has grown into itself and the different formats are better established?

For me, if I was in the market and lived in the US I would have narrowed my search to where yours is. I value Black levels, contrast and head on colour reproduction. I want a brightness that allows me to comfortably use the set in day time, as it was one of many frustrations coming from a plasma. I also really would want to keep the screen as uniform as possible.

The 930d looks to be exceptional in regards to it's lack of black issues and it's pseudo Full Array affect is being praised by many. If I had a little time to save for a bit longer it would be worth the investment, providing of course it arrives in the condition it ought to.

My second option would be the Vizio P, going by the first impressions in the owners thread. It's a spectacularly capable set with a true full array backlight. Then I would have to see which I'm more susceptible to in regards to the local dimming response time between zones.

What I would not do however is bust my balls over a sets inferiority in comparison to the company's commercial reference sets. It only sets you up for disappointment at the fact that it is technically superior and well out of a reasonable price range. Making a comparison between a set that is twice the price is a set up for disappointment.

On paper Vizio is a no brainier, but you're not hanging a set of technical specs on your wall. You're placing a vessel for entertainment and entertainment is a personal affair.

#57 ·
Someone in this thread recommended that I go and review the ongoing feedback being provided in the P-series owners thread. I did and based on that feedback and the fact that I just want this whole process to be over at this point, I’ve decided to go back and purchase the Vizio and just be done with it.

I cannot keep doing this as it is unhealthy and I am beating myself up and trying to obsess over endless minutiae and non-stop variables. Staying up until all hours of the night reading stuff, etc. etc.

The way I see it, if I get the TV delivered, and it sucks, or I just hate it, well then I have 15 days to return it no questions asked and BB will even come pick it up for return from my house.

On another note, I did receive a PM suggesting that I may want to contact Sony, inform them of what happened so that they are aware.

#58 ·
Right now, Vizio P is a pretty solid winner

JS9500 owner, if I was buying today, it would be a vizio P. The price per inch combined with feature support is objectively better than anyone else even twice the price at this moment, the panels would have to be trash or specs a lie for it to lose. Going by the first few owners, the latter doesn't seem likely.

Granted I personally still want to know a few things that only PC users pick on like completely confirming 4:4:4@60 (text picture or nothing) and input lag in this mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.