Originally Posted by acefr
You can't compare HDR on 8550 and 800D as HU8550 does not support HDR. If you want to see what HDR can do on your 800D, you can download the LG HDR Chess clip here:
The color and contrast is on a complete different level.
With the kind help of two members' posts, have adjusted the KS to 90% of the HU8550. On OTA, the the KS whites should be still whiter, the blacks should be a bit blacker, and the color a bit more vibrant.
Downloaded the LG Chess demo on a USB 2.0 stick (thanks, acefr). Stuck it on the OCB of the KS800D, it recognized it immediately. Played it. Colors a little better, picture sharper. It was in movie mode, but I did not change anything. Picture was a bit unreal, semi-cartoonish.
Plugged the USB into the HU8550 and it recognized the USB stick. Asked if I wanted to explore the disk. Sure. Went to the MP4 file and launched it. Warning: it will not play properly. Okay. Play anyway. Wow! It played on the HU8550.
It was about the same as the KS800D... a little less colorful, a little less bright, but more natural. Both sets looked fine playing this MP4.
On OTA on the KS800D, there is still what I'll call mild "motion stuttering". It is not present on the HU8550.
1. HU8550 OTA picture is better. I want a set which gives the best OTA picture
2. HU8550 has a central stand. The KS800D forces one to use a long table or long board. Don't want wall mounting.
3. KS800D internal sound is not nearly as good as the HU8550. Prefer not to have a TV which requires a separate sound system.
4. I don't use/need HDR now, and the HU8550 plays the "HDR" demo just fine.
5. KS800D motion stuttering is annoying.
Will continue playing with the KS settings and test it further. Any other demos you can suggest?