Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 794 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42376Likes

post #23791 of 29882 Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogimus View Post
30fps games are like that, HZD even has good motion blur that smooths a 30fps game pretty good.
Actually, I found out that 60fps games are more distracting because of 120hz backlight flickering -> ghosting. 30fps games had this ghosting with all TV's as panels/backlight were 60hz minimum (double image / ghosting) and now with 120hz panel/backlight flickering ghosting has come to 60fps games too.

I wish Samsung had used different kind of backlight brightness adjustment, PWM (pulse width modulation) is root cause of this ghosting.
Yeah I guess it could be the backlight that causes the issue, I just don't know why it is only at 30fps that it happens -- it is also less severe in a dark setting at 30fps (Night), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
Yep its my biggest complaint about the set. I noticed it instantly from the second I first played a game on it.

Yeah it is really jarring. If I would have known it was this bad, I probably wouldn't have purchased the Tv. 30fps gaming is already pretty poor, so it just magnifies those issues as well as the judder. It looks really bad on this set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23792 of 29882 Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Yea I'd like to say I would've got an LG but it allowed me to get atmos and go pre/pro with real amp getting it for EPP price so. I turn up auto motion plus slightly and that makes it good enough without to much lag.

Marantz 7702MKII/Outlaw 7140 65" 4k Samsung KS8000
i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/970's SLI 840 PRO SSD
Paradigm Studio v3 100/570/20's/470's/2200 Sub
post #23793 of 29882 Old 03-14-2017, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
You must be using too much muscle then
I've wiped mine multiple times because of dog drool and haven't had any issues yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not at all forceful with it, the Minor spots I have on the set were wiped gently but still had the same effect. Not sure what else to say but look closer at your set, there may be more damage than you think from your dog somehow drooling on it

post #23794 of 29882 Old 03-14-2017, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodalad View Post
Not at all forceful with it, the Minor spots I have on the set were wiped gently but still had the same effect. Not sure what else to say but look closer at your set, there may be more damage than you think from your dog somehow drooling on it

Nah it's still pristine.

post #23795 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I'm building my first PC that will be ready very soon and am going to use the KS8000 as my monitor. It is high end so I'm wanting to make sure I get the most out of it that I can with this tv. I have some questions for those using this tv for their PC/PC gaming.

I was wondering if it would look that much different/ better to do 4K @ 30 10-bit 4:4:4 instead of 4K @ 60 8-bit 4:4:4. Which do you use for gaming/PC gaming I wish I could find images comparing the two for PC gaming on tv. I realize the fps would be a pretty significant difference but I'm meaning from a strictly visual standpoint. I wish of course this set could be updated for 10 bit 4:4:4 at 60 when HDMI allows for it. ): Or that HDR mode could make all games seem 10 bit and not those optimized especially for HDR. Still kind of confused how HDR mode is allowed with 4:4:4/60/4K yet isn't actually 10 bit? Supposedly Xbox and PS4 support 10 bit so wondering they must have better color quality than PC on tv? Seems crazy to me since PC is much better with graphics depending on specs in every other aspect.

Are you connecting your PC to the tv directly through HDMI or through a DisplayPort adapter such as the Club3D DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0? I want which will be the best for the performance and picture quality. Just wanting to know very soon so I can order the one off Amazon to be here along with the PC being ready so it's all ready to go! Also, I'm wanting to take advantage of my better Denon audio sync for gaming.. will it add lag though if going through the AVR instead of the PC directly into the one connect?

Thank you SO much for taking the time to even read this and responses would be extremely appreciated! Been waiting for this decision for a very very very long time and now that it's here I want to know all that I can and make the best possible decision for my PC working with this tv!

Last edited by MeganElisabeth; 03-15-2017 at 12:48 AM.
post #23796 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question about auto-sensing HDR/SDR content type on the hdmi port.

A eurogamer article on HDR gaming recently complained that the Samsung KS series didn't know how to do it - unlike HDR Sony's - and so you had to configure a HDMI port for SDR and another for HDR settings, with the quickest way to swap between content types being to switch HDMI ports.

Has a firmware update fixed this?

My interest is in the KS43 7500, a UK model model not sold in the US but basically analogous to the KS8000 series in the US.
post #23797 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 01:21 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
I have a question about auto-sensing HDR/SDR content type on the hdmi port.

A eurogamer article on HDR gaming recently complained that the Samsung KS series didn't know how to do it - unlike HDR Sony's - and so you had to configure a HDMI port for SDR and another for HDR settings, with the quickest way to swap between content types being to switch HDMI ports.

Has a firmware update fixed this?

My interest is in the KS43 7500, a UK model model not sold in the US but basically analogous to the KS8000 series in the US.

Sorry, but No! (I'm assuming you are referring to Game Mode?)

I don't think it will ever be fixed at this point - especially since the new models are now coming out.

Richard
post #23798 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 AM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Exclamation Samsung Officially Launches Q Series

Samsung officially launched the new 2017 Q Series TVs yesterday.

Click the LINK below for more:

Samsung Q Series QLED HDR 4K TVs Officially Launch

Article by Mark Henninger (aka @imagic )

See also the following article by @Scott Wilkinson :

Samsung Product-Launch Event Video

HDR10 Plus (aka "Dynamic HDR10")

Samsung also officially announce the HDR10 Plus dynamic tone-mapping standard (aka: Dynamic HDR10), available on all 2017 Samsung QLED & UHD TVs.

As also announced by Vincent Teoh on twitter:

https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/sta...19368157409280

Richard

Last edited by King Richard; 03-18-2017 at 12:50 AM.
post #23799 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Does the new firmware update (1167) come with any known pros/cons people have noticed at this time?
I'm curious myself. I haven't updated mine in months because all of the issues that people have reported. The only thing I could find so far is here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...017/td-p/73656 and on this site here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231162256
post #23800 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
So i thought this was caused by my AVR when powering on the tv, its not i plugged my cable box directly into the TV still does it, it lasts about a second or 2 then it clears up

edit: A soft reset has fixed it for now

edit: it returned again seems to only happen with my cable box 1080i maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170315_091532.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	2027113  

Last edited by rckrz6; 03-15-2017 at 06:45 AM.
post #23801 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Samsung officially launched the new 2017 Q Series TVs yesterday.

Click the LINK below for more:

Samsung Q Series QLED HDR 4K TVs Officially Launch

Article by Mark Henninger (aka @imagic )

https://youtu.be/PTKjdjYkX-c

HDR10 Plus (aka "Dynamic HDR10")

Samsung also officially announce the HDR10 Plus dynamic tone-mapping standard (aka: Dynamic HDR10), available on all 2017 Samsung QLED & UHD TVs.

As also announced by Vincent Teoh on twitter:

https://twitter.com/Vincent_Teoh/sta...19368157409280

Richard
no hdr10+ for 2016 sad
Terminader likes this.
post #23802 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
OK, so here's some more evidence for you. After more testing, I can't reliably recreate the issue by just bringing up the controls/pause menu etc in the Amazon App. Depending on how bright the surrounding area is at the time of bringing up the controls, you can recreate it, but it's not ideal as evidence, and a bit too fussy to set up.

However, here's a video of the issue that you can reliably reproduce yourself.

Episode 12 of The Grand Tour in 4K HDR. Fast forward to around 17:25. This gives the controls a few seconds to disappear before easily demonstrating the issue (around 17:35 or so). Once again, this is an exposure-locked video from my iPhone.

This is in Movie mode:

https://db.tt/B5BuJqGTZT

This is in Standard mode:

https://db.tt/ek7B5YmvrY

Again, this is just one quick example I found to demonstrate the problem. It's much worse when the dark shot back to light shot is more intense, but each and every time it's still distracting as the backlight ramps back up after it dims down.
So I was watching Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk last night in HDR when I noticed this dimming effect. And now I can't un-see it! Its actually pretty easy to recreate. Play HDR content in Movie mode. Pause it. Then go to Standard mode and set it up exactly like Movie mode. Now, if you quickly toggle between Movie and Standard mode you will see they are the same brightness. But if you leave it on Standard mode for a second or two and then toggle back to Movie mode you will see it is much darker. Toggle back to Standard and the screen will gradually gain brightness over 1-2 seconds. It's hard to tell but when you go back to Movie mode you'll notice how much darker it is. After further testing this only occurs when watching HDR content. All previous Samsung models had this auto dimming feature on all video modes except for Movie to hit their energy rating. It looks like they screwed up on the 2016 models and its now on all video modes except for Standard. I don't see any difference between Standard and Movie except that Standard appears to mess with the Brightness setting. Movie mode I need to use 45. Standard mode I need to use 47. I'll be using Standard going forward unless Samsung fixes it in a firmware update. They probably aren't even aware of the problem.
ergalthema and DaiKami like this.
post #23803 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Sorry, but No! (I'm assuming you are referring to Game Mode?)

I don't think it will ever be fixed at this point - especially since the new models are now coming out.

Richard
It'll be really sad if they don't fix this
post #23804 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzan View Post
I just want to say that after having and enjoying this TV for 3 months I took the opportunity to go back to the first post of this forum and viewed the PDF posted thereon. What an excellent job by all concerned. I know it took a lot of effort but it is clear, concise and from what I read neatly summarizes all the major features and concerns with this TV. Once again thanks to all who contributed to the effort.
post #23805 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzan View Post
I wouldn't count on it at this point.
post #23806 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Can anyone confirm if WoL works with the app on whilst on the same network?
I sometimes punk my wife and kids with pics or videos when I'm not in the room.
Sending messages from the future while sitting in the throne room, last wishes, and etc...
Works great when you need a snack but too lazy to get out of bed! Record a video message and cast it to the TV and a minute later my 7 year old brings me a cookie!

Now I can't seem to get it to WoL on WiFi even though I see the TV is connected to WiFi while on standby mode. Can someone try and see if it works over WiFi?
Would be great if it will work on WiFi otherwise I may have to wire it up instead.

post #23807 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzinicnik@yahoo.com View Post
I just want to say that after having and enjoying this TV for 3 months I took the opportunity to go back to the first post of this forum and viewed the PDF posted thereon. What an excellent job by all concerned. I know it took a lot of effort but it is clear, concise and from what I read neatly summarizes all the major features and concerns with this TV. Once again thanks to all who contributed to the effort.
It is a helpful document, but it's missing some things - like the dimming issue that has been reported repeatedly here (happens in Movie mode, but fine in Standard mode).
post #23808 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
It is a helpful document, but it's missing some things - like the dimming issue that has been reported repeatedly here (happens in Movie mode, but fine in Standard mode).
Send me any recommended changes and I'll incorporate into the next version and post it. It's a team effort!
post #23809 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmaniac View Post
I'm curious myself. I haven't updated mine in months because all of the issues that people have reported. The only thing I could find so far is here https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...017/td-p/73656 and on this site here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231162256
I have not noticed any new issues on firmware 1167. The HDMI-CEC is still not working 100%, but it has been an old issue and it does not get worse on 1167. I don't game on this TV, so can't comment on the Dolby Digital pass through delay. On movies via ARC, I do not notice any audio delay.
post #23810 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
So I was watching Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk last night in HDR when I noticed this dimming effect. And now I can't un-see it! Its actually pretty easy to recreate. Play HDR content in Movie mode. Pause it. Then go to Standard mode and set it up exactly like Movie mode. Now, if you quickly toggle between Movie and Standard mode you will see they are the same brightness. But if you leave it on Standard mode for a second or two and then toggle back to Movie mode you will see it is much darker. Toggle back to Standard and the screen will gradually gain brightness over 1-2 seconds. It's hard to tell but when you go back to Movie mode you'll notice how much darker it is. After further testing this only occurs when watching HDR content. All previous Samsung models had this auto dimming feature on all video modes except for Movie to hit their energy rating. It looks like they screwed up on the 2016 models and its now on all video modes except for Standard. I don't see any difference between Standard and Movie except that Standard appears to mess with the Brightness setting. Movie mode I need to use 45. Standard mode I need to use 47. I'll be using Standard going forward unless Samsung fixes it in a firmware update. They probably aren't even aware of the problem.
If you leave it at movie mode only (without toggling between movie and standard), does the "auto dimming" kick in? I watched Billy Lynn in movie mode, and did not notice any "auto dimming".
post #23811 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
If you leave it at movie mode, does the "auto dimming" kick in? I watched Billy Lynn too, and did not notice any "auto dimming".
Yes. You have to really pay attention for it but once you notice it it's very annoying. You will notice it when a scene changes from light to dark or vice versa. It will hit the intended brightness instantly and then over the course of a few seconds dim very gradually.
post #23812 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrz6 View Post
So i thought this was caused by my AVR when powering on the tv, its not i plugged my cable box directly into the TV still does it, it lasts about a second or 2 then it clears up

edit: A soft reset has fixed it for now

edit: it returned again seems to only happen with my cable box 1080i maybe?
It is normal. Sometimes it will retain the last picture (like the menu of my UHD bluray player) and sometimes it will have video noise. Probably just start up initialization.
post #23813 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

That split second "Auto Dimming" also occurs when toggling HDR+.
I think it is normal.

maximuslcd and Terminader like this.
post #23814 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That split second "Auto Dimming" also occurs when toggling HDR+.
I think it is normal.

It's certainly not normal. I bet you it won't if you toggle HDR+ on Standard mode.
post #23815 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes. You have to really pay attention for it but once you notice it it's very annoying. You will notice it when a scene changes from light to dark or vice versa. It will hit the intended brightness instantly and then over the course of a few seconds dim very gradually.
Well, if I don't notice it, then there is no reason for me to specifically look for it.
post #23816 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's certainly not normal. I bet you it won't if you toggle HDR+ on Standard mode.

I wouldn't be using Standard mode so I can't comment.
Even if it is a problem, you notice the luminance level to be the same after a few seconds. The Auto Dimming you are describing if it is the same as what happens in HDR+ is just "settling".
Although HDR+ implementation tends to change from time to time with newer firmware updates.

Relax and stop looking for problems that don't influence your viewing experience. Not like you're going to spend the whole time toggling modes while watching a show!

The more features they throw at these TVs, the less perfectly they will work with every available option!

jeep05 and Terminader like this.
post #23817 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Even if it is a problem, you notice the luminance level to be the same after a few seconds. The Auto Dimming you are describing if it is the same as what happens in HDR+ is just "settling".
Although HDR+ implementation tends to change from time to time with newer firmware updates.

Relax and stop looking for problems that don't influence your viewing experience. Not like you're going to spend the whole time toggling modes while watching a show!

The more features they throw at these TVs, the less perfectly they will work with every available option!

No, the luminance level will not be the same after a few seconds. In Standard it will be brighter. In Movie mode it dims to save energy when there is not a lot of movement on the screen. I think it is the Motion Lighting setting under expert settings that is not turning off in Movie mode. And believe me I am not looking for problems. Until now I didn't believe what other users were saying or that it didn't affect my set. Since I first saw it now I see it more and more if I use Movie mode. If you don't notice it or it doesn't bother you then that's great.
post #23818 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:

This is a better example:
https://vid.me/gp3x

When the man is walking, the screen brightens. It dims when he stops walking and then brightens again when he takes a few steps.

It was the first time I noticed the issue - I wasn't looking for it and had no idea it was even an issue, but it was very distracting in that scene. There is also a scene in Sully where I noticed the issue (to a lesser extent). The scenes look fine in Standard mode, so I have been keeping the TV in that mode.
post #23819 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
This is a better example:

https://vid.me/gp3x

When the man is walking, the screen brightens. It dims when he stops walking and then brightens again when he takes a few steps.

It was the first time I noticed the issue - I wasn't looking for it and had no idea it was even an issue, but it was very distracting in that scene. There is also a scene in Sully where I noticed the issue (to a lesser extent). The scenes look fine in Standard mode, so I have been keeping the TV in that mode.

I tried checking with Netflix, YouTube and a MKV video on a USB drive and I couldn't see any change.

post #23820 of 29882 Old 03-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I tried checking with Netflix, YouTube and a MKV video on a USB drive and I couldn't see any change.

Tried checking what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS8000/KS8500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page