Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 816 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42356Likes

post #24451 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Anyone's KS8000's Youtube only show a solid color screen (gray on mine) sometimes and is locked-up?

I got a 65" KS800D recently. After I initially turned it on and tested settings and its programs (Netflix, Amazon, Youtube etc.) all but Youtube worked. Youtube just showed a gray screen and I could not exit it. I called Samsung support. The guy had me do variosu things. Nothing fixed it. Finally he had me reset the hub. That worked. I could then use Youtube after resetting the hub.

Everything was fine until the TV received a patch yesterday. Same thing Youtube was a full grayscreen with nothing else. I then reset the hub, and I could use Youtube again.

I am wondering if this is a problem specifically with my TV or if it is a general bug with the tv line and others have had the problem too.
I just noticed a similar problem recently, and I also have the 65KS8000- maybe since the firmware update. Mine is with Amazon Video. I havent noticed it anywhere else and I can confirm my YouTube is working normally.
When I choose a movie to watch in Amazon Video, the video just shows a grey screen, but no lockup. The audio works fine. No matter what I do, it's solid grey screen video
I'll try reinstalling the app, or resetting the smart hub.

I have a separate question to you guys. My channel guide isnt showing the right channels. I tried searching this thread, but couldnt find another post about it. I'm OTA with an antenna, and the Channel list looks right (from OTA information I suppose). But the channel guide when I push in the channel change button on the remote is completely wrong. I tried resetting the smart hub and making the correct selections for me again recently, to no avail. I dont know what the issue could be because it's worked before and I'm OTA- it's not like I'm choosing the wrong cable provider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24452 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambaa View Post
Could you try games, movies and 4k youtube channels like the 4k HDR channel samples see if it is stil sharp. Also, is it the image like 1155 firmware. Does it have pop effect

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Totally agree. What's really strange to me is that my 65" purchased in May has this issue all the time. My 55" purchased in October doesn't have this issue at all.

Maybe it's a hardware issue and that's why it never gets fixed with firmware updates?
Did you try the new 1168 firmware update? It fixed my netflix problem.
post #24453 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifalcon View Post
So, what is the proper / best way to do the connections. I have the Denon AVR-720. External device to attach are DVD, Apple TV, DishNetwork and the Samsung KS8000. Is the recommendation still connect the DVD, Apple TV and DishNetwork to the AVR and then only run the HDMI cable from the AVR to HDMI 4(ARC) on the Samsung Connect or do I still need to connect the DishNetwork to the HDMI 1 on the Connect and still connect the AVR to HDMI 4? Thanks. Sorry for the sentence run on. For some reason, my browser is not allowing a carriage return for another paragraph.
One way to connect things is to connect all of the HDMI sources (DVD, Dish, Apple TV) to the AVR and connect the AVR to the TV using the "monitor" (ARC) output of the AVR to HDMI 4 on the Samsung's OCB (one connect box).

I was going to say that's the "normal" way, but that might be controversial.

If you're unlucky, ARC may not work properly in passing the TV audio to the AVR. In that case, the recommended fix is to use the TV's optical output to connect its audio to the AVR. I have read that ARC and the optical port have the same limitations as regards HD multichannel audio. (That's not a problem for me, or, I expect, for most people.)
King Richard likes this.

post #24454 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Friendly PSA:

It would *appear* that FW1168 has enabled HLG HDR in at least some 2016 Samsungs. There are HLG encoded HDR files at demo-uhd3d.com for download. On my KS98 and that of at least one other owner, the HLG files trigger HDR mode on the TV. So, either the files are mislabeled, or Samsung did indeed enable this.
It was seem so. On the other thread I thought you'd meant us, I didn't realise that perhaps you missed the earlier posts and you meant another place

Terminader was the first person here to mention he'd viewed HLG content successfully, in this post on 20th March.

I posted the MediaInfo details myself in this post the next day and confirmed it was really HLG.

This means it was added in firmware version 1165.1 or earlier because I've got 1165.1 .
Terminader likes this.

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #24455 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal Tap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
No. You must learn to live with it. I download the worst offending shows like Modern Family, Goldbergs, and The Walking Dead and they play silky smooth. It's funny because I bought a X3300 to try to upscale to 4K to avoid the skips and it seemed to work for a few days and then it came back. The picture does look better using the upscaling on the Denon though. Some people will tell you to turn off Auto Motion Plus. This will reduce the choppiness/skips so you don't really notice them but I find that judder during camera pans looks HORRIBLE with AMP off.
So then I can attribute this as a common issue with DVR playback?
I find it to be some cable channels. Specifically ABC. Watching live exhibits the same behavior. If you are only noticing it on recorded shows and not live it could be the DVR itself acting up. Reboot it. If it doesn't help get a replacement. If you notice it on live as well then you are experiencing a very common issue with this TV. It's on all the Samsung models.
Spinal Tap likes this.
post #24456 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab2 View Post
It is a problem. But thank you anyway for telling me it shouldn't be. Both bands cut out. But they never cut out on my Xbox one S, PS4 and aptv which are right next to it.
I have KS8500 and had to have my main board, and WiFi replaced after a few months of having the TV. Mine would drop internet connection constantly. I am good to go now after they replaced the parts.
post #24457 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
It was seem so. On the other thread I thought you'd meant us, I didn't realise that perhaps you missed the earlier posts and you meant another place

Terminader was the first person here to mention he'd viewed HLG content successfully, in this post on 20th March.

I posted the MediaInfo details myself in this post the next day and confirmed it was really HLG.

This means it was added in firmware version 1165.1 or earlier because I've got 1165.1 .
Thanks. I hadn't seen the post or conversation from the 20th. Sorry about that - wanted to make sure the word got out.
Terminader likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #24458 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't seen the post or conversation from the 20th. Sorry about that - wanted to make sure the word got out.
No apology required! I tried to shout about it a bit but couldn't drum up much interest - the more the merrier!!
anthonymoody and Terminader like this.

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #24459 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
I find it to be some cable channels. Specifically ABC. Watching live exhibits the same behavior. If you are only noticing it on recorded shows and not live it could be the DVR itself acting up. Reboot it. If it doesn't help get a replacement. If you notice it on live as well then you are experiencing a very common issue with this TV. It's on all the Samsung models.
ABC seems to be the worst. Last Man Standing was almost to bad to watch. I locked my Comcast X1 STB to output only 720P. (hd it locked on 1080i before) This made a huge difference barely noticeable now
Spinal Tap likes this.
post #24460 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganElisabeth View Post
Auto, native, or custom color space for HDR+ mode? I know Auto for non HDR. The native for HDR has colors really popping and the auto seems a little faded.
Native for HDR+, Auto for everything else.
King Richard and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung UN55KS8000 || Sony BDVE-980W || PS4 Pro
post #24461 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ_P View Post
Native for HDR+, Auto for everything else.
This is what I thought I remembered being said awhile back but the colors just pop so so much I was just making sure! (: Thank you!
post #24462 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcastle2 View Post
ABC seems to be the worst. Last Man Standing was almost to bad to watch. I locked my Comcast X1 STB to output only 720P. (hd it locked on 1080i before) This made a huge difference barely noticeable now
Wow that is the exact show I was watching that caused me to ask about the problem. I feel somewhat relieved that its a common issue, but unfortunate that there is not a solution.
post #24463 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
well it can play, but might not really use or play the HLG features?
post #24464 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
So then I can attribute this as a common issue with DVR playback?
No. Try switching dvr to 720 p on channels that you still have judder on.
post #24465 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiKami View Post
well it can play, but might not really use or play the HLG features?
It plays, it's the HLG flavour of HDR and puts the TV automatically into HDR-Standard or HDR-Movie if you were in SDR-Standard or SDR-Movie, as with all the equivalent HDR10 clips.

Not sure what else you are expecting to happen.

The HLG features are really at the broadcaster's end - they won't need two sets of kit for all the stages of production, when creating a live HDR broadcast for TV.

post #24466 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Wow that is the exact show I was watching that caused me to ask about the problem. I feel somewhat relieved that its a common issue, but unfortunate that there is not a solution.
Have 1080i set on time warner box on both 55 and 65 inch here in Brooklyn. No judder on ABC or last man standing show. My AMP is set to OFF.
post #24467 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
It plays, it's the HLG flavour of HDR and puts the TV automatically into HDR-Standard or HDR-Movie if you were in SDR-Standard or SDR-Movie, as with all the equivalent HDR10 clips.

The HLG features are really at the broadcaster's end - they won't need two sets of kit for all the stages of production, when creating a live HDR broadcast for TV.
you talking about this sample right: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=158 ? i tried it and it didn't work. i though the HLG hdr is also dynamic metadata? but if it is static for now and the tv support the format. hey it is very nice then.

Last edited by DaiKami; 03-31-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #24468 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
See post 24407 made by LoneStarROB. My post just before yours is what I was talking to him about, lol.
I really love those settings posting in here

samsung ks8000 Calibration
LonestarROB likes this.
post #24469 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
you talking about this sample right: http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=158 ? i tried it and it didn't work.
Yes, the HLG version of Cymatic Jazz. It worked for me and Terminader as described on the 20th. Looks great, apart from the DJ being in it of course!

The other one, did have a problem. If you want to fix the TravelXP file so that it works (http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=154), see here:
Samsung Q9 65? QLED HDR LCD TV: First Look

Quote:
i though the HLG hdr is also dynamic metadata? but if it is static for now and the tv support the format. hey it is very nice then.
No. There's no metadata at all, that's the whole point of it and why it's compatible with both SDR and HDR and why the broadcasters will be able to use it without having to rip out and rebuild a whole extra broadcast chain for HDR. And why it'll be suitable for live broadcasting. Metadata would never ever work for that! (think about it! "What's the brightest part of this next hour of footage? Erm, don't know yet - this is a live broadcast!")

nice wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Log-Gamma

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 03-31-2017 at 01:11 PM.
post #24470 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, the HLG version of Cymatic Jazz. It worked for me as described.

The other one, had a problem. If you want to fix the TravelXP file so that it works (http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=154), see here:
Samsung Q9 65? QLED HDR LCD TV: First Look

No. There's no metadata at all, that's the whole point of it and why it's compatible with both SDR and HDR and why the broadcasters will be able to use it without having to rip out and rebuild a whole extra broadcast chain for HDR. And why it'll be suitable for live broadcasting. Metadata would never ever work for that! (think about it! "What's the brightest part of this next hour of footage? Erm, don't know yet - this is a live broadcast!")

nice wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_Log-Gamma
it is static HDR then. but nice to know it support the format at least. what was your firmware again ? i am from EU so might not have the update yet.
post #24471 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 958
Quote:

Agreed. Keep in mind that, as I understand it, one of the key rationale for HLG technology is efficient HDR broadcasting (i.e., less bandwidth required).
post #24472 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Agreed. Keep in mind that, as I understand it, one of the key rationale for HLG technology is efficient HDR broadcasting (i.e., less bandwidth required).

weird i talked with their support and it said not HLG compatible yet. but people tested here say differently ? like now
post #24473 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep. Not just bandwidth. The broadcasters had only just upgraded for digital widescreen, then again for HD. Simple enough to create a backwards-compatible picture for 4:3/SD/etc.
But HDR is a whole new thing. The BBC realised very early on that something clever was required.

I was reading this BBC Blog earlier, and as a licence fee payer I'm sure they won't mind me quoting parts of it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016-12...mic-range-2016

Quote:
There is little doubt that, amongst the broadcast TV community, 2016 will be remembered as the year the industry delivered high dynamic range (HDR) television; and it makes us immensely proud to have played a key part in that. At the start of the year few people had heard about Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) HDR. But we end the year with a public trial of a selection of stunning “Planet Earth II” UHD HLG HDR clips on iPlayer, and some amazing audience feedback.

As some of you will have read, the Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR solution, jointly developed by the BBC and NHK, was specifically designed to allow a straightforward migration to HDR-TV production. But even if the technology is straightforward, developing the suite of standards necessary to allow HLG programme production, programme delivery and distribution to the home to become a reality, was anything but straightforward!

[...]

Ordinarily, following the approval of an ITU-R recommendation, one might be able to sit back and relax for a short while to allow the industry to digest the new standard before the launch of any new services. Some of you may remember that ITU-R BT.709, the standard for HDTV, was first published in 1993 – but it was almost 13 years before HDTV services launched in the UK. The world has moved on since then. With HDR televisions already on sale, and growing interest from both programme makers and consumers in the new technology, it was essential to complete the remaining technical standards as quickly as possible to ensure the HDR televisions finding their way in to viewers’ homes are standards compliant, and can access HDR-TV content as services are launched.

After a mammoth effort, DVB (the organisation responsible for specifying the technical standards for television and set-top box receivers in Europe) published their “Blue Book” specification for both UHD HDR and UHD HFR (high frame rate) TV services in November. We are supporting a similar effort in North America’s ATSC, as it’s in all our interests to have as much commonality as possible in the standards that are used around the world.

The final piece of the jigsaw was completed earlier this month, when HDMI extended their 2.0b specification to support HLG.

But standards alone are not sufficient to ensure the successful adoption of a new system – particularly when, in the case of high dynamic range TV, there are two options to choose from in BT.2100: HLG and PQ (Perceptual Quantizer). So one of the most rewarding activities for the team has been working with the BBC’s Natural History Unit (NHU) in Bristol to trial and demonstrate HLG content at industry events throughout the year.

We are fortunate that the BBC’s Natural History programmes are popular around the world. So, just as they did for the launch of HD with the original Planet Earth series, BBC Worldwide were interested in providing the additional funding to allow Planet Earth II to be produced in UHD and HDR – protecting the long-term value of their investment.

[...]
Transitioning to HDR-TV is the biggest change to television since the introduction of colour 50 years ago. So, in the space of a blog, it’s simply not possible to do justice to the hard work of all of the BBC R&D teams, our NHK colleagues and those in industry who have contributed to and supported our standardisation efforts. But we should not forget our colleagues in BBC R&D’s Video Coding Project who delivered the HEVC signalling that is used by DVB to identify HLG content, those in the File Based Delivery project who developed the DPP specification for the delivery of pre-recorded HDR programmes and the IP Studio project who are developing the standards for HDR live production over an IP-based infrastructure.
More at the link. The article itself contains lots of links to other blog articles, particularly about how they taught the Planet Earth team how to grade in HDR
Terminader likes this.

post #24474 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yep. Not just bandwidth. The broadcasters had only just upgraded for digital widescreen, then again for HD. Simple enough to create a backwards-compatible picture for 4:3/SD/etc.
But HDR is a whole new thing. The BBC realised very early on that something clever was required.

I was reading this BBC Blog earlier, and as a licence fee payer I'm sure they won't mind me quoting parts of it here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016-12...mic-range-2016

More at the link. The article itself contains lots of links to other blog articles, particularly about how they taught the Planet Earth team how to grade in HDR
can i ask you what tv size, from what region and firmware do you use? nvm i got it working. was just some problem which i fixed it. hm... this is very nice So what was the problem ish with the travelxp just format or ?
post #24475 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambaa View Post
Folks, I am on 1167 and I feel by every update the quality of image is degrading. As if before 1155 update, my TV image was popping out of my TV, vivid color like WoW factor. Now, I feel like its not giving me this pop and wow effect. Good colors but the Wow-pop effect has been removed. Does anyone feel the same or I am just crazy?.

Also, is there a way to downgrade firmware with USB. Say I download 1155 firmware anf update it via USB - will it work

Couldn't agree more.

Both my KS8000 and KS8500 haven't looked as good since Firmware 1155. Wish we could downgrade.
post #24476 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Both my KS8000 and KS8500 haven't looked as good since Firmware 1155. Wish we could downgrade.
you can. reset factory and just download the 1155 firmware to usb
post #24477 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
False.

Quote:
it is static HDR then. but nice to know it support the format at least.
No. This is quite frustrating. I'll try again

There is no metadata. HLG doesn't need metadata. It works in a completely different way.

HLG is neither "static HDR" nor "dynamic HDR".

Those are terms which only apply to HDR formats which use metadata.

Quote:
i am from EU so might not have the update yet.
1165.1, in the EU just like you TV details are in my sig on every post.
jeep05 and King Richard like this.

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 03-31-2017 at 03:05 PM.
post #24478 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
No. This is quite frustrating. I'll try again

There is no metadata. HLG doesn't need metadata. It works in a complete different way.

HLG is neither "static HDR" nor "dynamic HDR".

Those are terms which only apply to HDR formats which use metadata.

1165.1, in the EU just like you TV details are in my sig on every post.
weird i can only update mine to 1165. and not 1165.1 lol. but i tried the sample and it worked. makes me wonder if they try to make HDR HLG movies in future or not.
post #24479 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Seriously? Factory reseting downgrades your firmware? I assumed that it didn't change the firmware ROM, just reset the "Settings" for that version of the firmware ROM. Have you done this or can anyone else confirm?

Thanks.

Last edited by mynym; 03-31-2017 at 01:38 PM.
post #24480 of 29854 Old 03-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you serious? Is it true. BTW can't find 1155 firmware link. Do you know where to look at

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS8000/KS8500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page