Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 839 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18313Likes

post #25141 of 26430 Old 04-20-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAudiofan View Post
Yes sorry, I meant wake it up. I'll try your suggestion.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I will warn you though, the KS8000 has an annoying bug where just about every day or so, it will FORGET that I had a Tivo set up along with my Denon receiver. After setup it would show Charter-Denon (Charter is my cable company) and would work fine with the Tivo and the receiver BUT would only last a day or so. Then I'd turn the TV on and it would just show a generic "Receiver" icon and would forget the Tivo completely. I had to go through the Universal remote/device set up all over again.

I dunno if this is fixed in 1169.2 since I am waiting on more reports before I load it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25142 of 26430 Old 04-20-2017, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well the ks series is getting the hdr plus update for amazon but the real question i wana know is if its possible to add the new upcoming hdmi 2.1 input thru a firmware as well? Do any 2017 tvs support hdmi 2.1 already??
post #25143 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe75xp View Post
No change here on 15 and 16 still. Maybe others can report on it too..

Try pausing the HDR video and see if it changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #25144 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cev8500 View Post
Well the ks series is getting the hdr plus update for amazon but the real question i wana know is if its possible to add the new upcoming hdmi 2.1 input thru a firmware as well? Do any 2017 tvs support hdmi 2.1 already??

Nothing supports HDMI 2.1 yet. Firmware update can add a few components of HDMI 2.1 but not the actual bandwidth capability.

King Richard likes this.
post #25145 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminader View Post
Reselect the source and the top banner will redisplay it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm routing everything thru my AVR so that route doesn't seem to work if I'm using you tube via the tv. The source always shows time warner as the source. If I click on it, it switches to cable tv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #25146 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post
Hi guys... I am just setting up my 65 800D. Can I update the firmware to a specific version like 1155? Its there a site I can find previous firmware updates?

I just want to upgrade a couple of versions. I got it on 1154.
If you can find the firmware you want to update to you can certainly do it as long as it's higher than the one you are on.
post #25147 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I'm routing everything thru my AVR so that route doesn't seem to work if I'm using you tube via the tv. The source always shows time warner as the source. If I click on it, it switches to cable tv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh, ok.

You should be able to look at video input resolution from your AVR then.

My Denon S720W has an app I can see information on my phone or I can select my Receiver as a source from the Samsung TV SmartHub.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #25148 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have the 60" KS8000 and I'm having some issues with the One Connect box, that started yesterday.

First off, I came home and noticed my surge protector was out. The power went out and there were some thunderstorms in the area, so I'm hoping nothing got fried here. Anyways, here's what's happening:

HDMI Ports:
  • 1: Cable box (Rogers)
    2: PC
    3: Chromecast
    4: Android box

Ports 1 and 2 do not work. My PC, Chromecast, and Android box all work on ports 3 and 4 if I change the inputs around. If I swap the HDMI cable from my PC/Chromecast/Android from 3/4 to 1/2, the TV recognizes that the input has switched and changes to it, but it will not recognize the source at all. My cable box, on the other hand, does not work regardless of the input.

What I'm thinking is that there is something wrong with inputs 1 and 2, and my cable box may be borked as well. Otherwise, the TV works fine.

So far, I've tried a soft reset, leaving the TV unplugged for ten minutes and disconnecting all HDMI cables as well as swapping HDMI cables around. None of this has worked. The only thing left to do before I contact Samsung is performing a factory reset on the unit. Anyone have any thoughts or input on what could've happened?
post #25149 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude87 View Post
I have the 60" KS8000 and I'm having some issues with the One Connect box, that started yesterday.

First off, I came home and noticed my surge protector was out. The power went out and there were some thunderstorms in the area, so I'm hoping nothing got fried here. Anyways, here's what's happening:

HDMI Ports:
  • 1: Cable box (Rogers)
    2: PC
    3: Chromecast
    4: Android box

Ports 1 and 2 do not work. My PC, Chromecast, and Android box all work on ports 3 and 4 if I change the inputs around. If I swap the HDMI cable from my PC/Chromecast/Android from 3/4 to 1/2, the TV recognizes that the input has switched and changes to it, but it will not recognize the source at all. My cable box, on the other hand, does not work regardless of the input.

What I'm thinking is that there is something wrong with inputs 1 and 2, and my cable box may be borked as well. Otherwise, the TV works fine.

So far, I've tried a soft reset, leaving the TV unplugged for ten minutes and disconnecting all HDMI cables as well as swapping HDMI cables around. None of this has worked. The only thing left to do before I contact Samsung is performing a factory reset on the unit. Anyone have any thoughts or input on what could've happened?
You very well could have fried it. I would contact Samsung for a warranty replacement. Look into getting your devices a surge protector. In my case I went with a whole home surge protector since I wall mount my TV's.
post #25150 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
...and just to reiterate, others do not go along with the idea that it happens at all. It's not a binary "it's happening, and the only question is whether you see it or not" situation, despite one very vocal person trying to claim that it is .
Thanks for reinforcing this! The person who posted a day or two ago about this indicated that his TV would dim on any static image after a second or so. Ouch. That would get annoying quick. It's also different than others have reported, where the TV only dims for them on one or two specific scenes. I can't get mine to dim at all in movie mode, no matter what I do. I suspect it's a bug that affects some TV's and not others, as opposed to a feature hard coded to be that way.

One thing this discussion has got me curious about - if Standard and Movie mode are configured with the exact same settings, will it display the exact same picture? (excluding any bugs that may affect some sets and not others, of course). Has this been checked with a meter?

Samsung KS8000, Xbox One S, Samsung UBD-K8500 bluray player, Himedia Q5 android box
post #25151 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Anyone using a higher color setting?

Using some calibration files I got from this forum, I find I need color set to 56 or 57 and tint left at 50/50 to get all four blocks to blend together (or I can leave color at 50 and increase red tint to 53/47 green to get the tint strips to blend but not outer color strips), under blue filter RGB setting, for this test:

I have not watched that much content with it but from what I saw it looked good but I could not really see a difference. On the color clipping test (see below) I can still see colors flashing to about 251 on the right, so the higher color setting is not causing my TV to lose detail I guess:

Many things I have read is that color is too saturated out of box on most new TVs, and you should not increase color from initial setting. Some have stated that test patterns, like above, are old and not valid for the new digital displays (they were made for analog signals.) Here is an article indicating that: http://spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio...or-and-tint-2/

What do people here think: is it not valid for KS8000s and/or color 57 is too high to use? Or is it still a relevant test pattern and it is useful to match color to it?

Last edited by checker9; 04-21-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #25152 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
You very well could have fried it. I would contact Samsung for a warranty replacement. Look into getting your devices a surge protector. In my case I went with a whole home surge protector since I wall mount my TV's.
I do have a surge protector, though, and all my devices are plugged into it.

Considering my PC works, TV works (other than the 2 HDMI ports), and other devices (except cable box), I'm not sure why it would cook 2 ports and not anything else.
post #25153 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post
I will warn you though, the KS8000 has an annoying bug where just about every day or so, it will FORGET that I had a Tivo set up along with my Denon receiver. After setup it would show Charter-Denon (Charter is my cable company) and would work fine with the Tivo and the receiver BUT would only last a day or so. Then I'd turn the TV on and it would just show a generic "Receiver" icon and would forget the Tivo completely. I had to go through the Universal remote/device set up all over again.

I dunno if this is fixed in 1169.2 since I am waiting on more reports before I load it.
Good to know thanks, I've been using this TV about a week now with my TiVo and so far so good on it remembering it. I don't have it hooked through my receiver though so maybe that's why. I'm waiting until I upgrade my receiver before changing my setup. Looking at either the Yamaha RX-V681 with it's new update coming for HLG and DV or I'll get the Denon 720 or 920W... Not sure which yet.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
post #25154 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
Thanks for reinforcing this! The person who posted a day or two ago about this indicated that his TV would dim on any static image after a second or so. Ouch. That would get annoying quick. It's also different than others have reported, where the TV only dims for them on one or two specific scenes. I can't get mine to dim at all in movie mode, no matter what I do. I suspect it's a bug that affects some TV's and not others, as opposed to a feature hard coded to be that way.

One thing this discussion has got me curious about - if Standard and Movie mode are configured with the exact same settings, will it display the exact same picture? (excluding any bugs that may affect some sets and not others, of course). Has this been checked with a meter?

I had to do a factory reset on my tv last night. My tv was dimming in certain scenes and I really got concerned. Then I looked at the Eco settings. Some of the options weren't off. So, I turned them off and everything was fine. I then selected a different input and had the exact same experience. It seems the Eco settings were input specific. This was all after updating to the latest firmware.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
jeep05 and Larry Rosenberg like this.
post #25155 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Nothing supports HDMI 2.1 yet. Firmware update can add a few components of HDMI 2.1 but not the actual bandwidth capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cev8500 View Post
Can't this be solved with a new OCB? so when 2.1 comes out we upgrade the OCB that will have HDMI 2.1 ports on it. I thought that was the point of the OCB anyway so that the tv generally doesn't become obsolete. Maybe I was thinking incorrectly.
post #25156 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MythosSTS01 View Post
Can't this be solved with a new OCB? so when 2.1 comes out we upgrade the OCB that will have HDMI 2.1 ports on it. I thought that was the point of the OCB anyway so that the tv generally doesn't become obsolete. Maybe I was thinking incorrectly.
The anwser to your question is a big perhaps on some things. Part of the HDMI 2.1 specifications is 8K, well our TV's will never do that, also wider color gamut is not happening and HDMI pass through of HDR 10+, perhaps yes.

Cheers

Last edited by Ralarcon; 04-21-2017 at 08:08 AM.
post #25157 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Mine does something similar sometimes it shows Directv-Denon and other times just as Receiver. It still works though. I wonder if it has something to do with the CEC.

Terminader likes this.
post #25158 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krima View Post
Checked update 1169 and the HDR profile does not switch in Game Mode.
Nice! Now if we can just get the VUDU app to play UHD movies!
NHAudiofan likes this.
post #25159 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy12 View Post
No major issues I can tell so far - and comes with 9 months of free HBO so that's a nice bonus.
Were you able to get the free HBO promotion?

Anyone have trouble redeeming the HBO code for one of the wholesale club HBO promotions?

When I try to redeem it states my serial number is invalid. I checked it several times and I am entering the correct one but I am still getting the invalid serial number message. Also, on the page where you enter the serial number and date of purchase, there is a file upload button that you must use but it does not state what file to upload (I guess Samsung thinks its customers are mind readers and they must save words on the webpage explaining what file.) I assume it is a screen shot of the serial number or the bar-scan thing the TV produces on the same screen it shows the serial number. I tried pictures of both and neither worked.

Anyone have same problem? Any fix?
post #25160 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

I had to go into the settings menu to get my whole serial number which had an additional character on the end of it. I first tried the serial number right of the side of the box with luck until I went through the settings menu on the TV I think it's under support. As for picture upload I snapped a pic of the serial number barcode and QR code.
I'm still waiting to receive a promo code from Samsung to activate my trail.

post #25161 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I had to go into the settings menu to get my whole serial number which had an additional character on the end of it. I first tried the serial number right of the side of the box with luck until I went through the settings menu on the TV I think it's under support. As for picture upload I snapped a pic of the serial number barcode and QR code.
I'm still waiting to receive a promo code from Samsung to activate my trail.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe there is hope because I could not get that far. States invalid serial number. Costco customer services is trying to help me as I wrote this. I guess it is like rebates - companies try to not to pay off.
post #25162 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Where are getting you serial number from?

post #25163 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
Where are getting you serial number from?

Back of TV and the support screen on the TV (same number on both.) I noticed the same you stated - the number on the box does not have last letter-digit.

TV was made in February 2017 so it seems it should be valid. The promotion card states 2016 TVs, so maybe even though it is a 2016 model, the serial number is invalid because it was made in 2017???
post #25164 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Yea maybe. Call Samsung or send them an email. But if the promotion was listed on the box then should horror it. Also it's still a 2016 model so it should be valid I would think.

post #25165 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post
Hi guys... I am just setting up my 65 800D. Can I update the firmware to a specific version like 1155? Its there a site I can find previous firmware updates?

I just want to upgrade a couple of versions. I got it on 1154.
I also purchased my 65-inch 800D from Costco. I think it came with 1155 which I have not upgraded. I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" mentality.

I have a Chromecast, Fire TV 1st gen, Sony PS4 Pro, and Apple TV3 attached to the TV. Everything seem to being working as they should.

One cool discovery is that the Samsung remote just automatically paired with the Fire TV and works. It was nice because the remote that came with the Fire TV has been broken for a long time.
Terminader and jm10 like this.
post #25166 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
If motion lighting is grayed out for you then that explains why you aren't seeing the dimming.
No I don't agree. It's one possible reason. It could be that it's not happening anyway. Or, many other possibilities. The fact that it's greyed out and showing as "off" is just one possible reason.

Quote:
There is something different about your tv as that option is certainly not grayed out for me and I suspect it isn't for most people here. What model do you have and what firmware?
That's been in my sig all the time. European version of the same TV with the T-JZMDEUC chassis. You have the T-JZMAKUC chassis version, and there's also a T-JZMUABC version. It's identical apart from we have Picture in Picture basically. I have firmware v1168.2 which is the latest for this chassis. After about 9 months of ownership motion lighting being disabled in Movie and Cal-Night modes is probably only the second difference anyone's spotted, if that really is the case.

Btw there's no need to quote entire massive post just to add 2 lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisha View Post
Looks like the new features fixed the non changing brightness steps of 15-17.
Cool, please can you try a HLG clip (eg http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=158 ) and see if the onscreen Play/FF/RW bar displays "HDR" or "HLG" in it? Bug as described in this post .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKinslow View Post
Nice! Now if we can just get the VUDU app to play UHD movies!
Nice? You're reacting as if it was good news . It wasn't, it was bad news, he said it was the same as before, one single profile in Game mode without HDR / SDR separate settings.

If you want Vudu to improve their app, petition them. The apps are not contained within the firmware. But Vudu isn't even on the map for most of us (literally! Despite being an Internet provider they only serve one country in the world, and they are being glacially slow at expanding outside their 1-country bubble ).

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 04-21-2017 at 12:15 PM.
post #25167 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys I just got the TV today and I am wondering if you can change the "recommended" tab in the main menu in Youtube app to Subscriptions?
post #25168 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
I had to do a factory reset on my tv last night. My tv was dimming in certain scenes and I really got concerned. Then I looked at the Eco settings. Some of the options weren't off. So, I turned them off and everything was fine. I then selected a different input and had the exact same experience. It seems the Eco settings were input specific. This was all after updating to the latest firmware.
Glad to hear it was an easy fix! iirc, eco settings have always been input independent. I remember hooking my laptop up for the first time, when I first got the TV, and was wondering why the picture dimmed to the point where I could barely see anything. I had to go adjust it for that input (it hadn't auto detected I hooked up a PC so wasn't in PC mode)

Samsung KS8000, Xbox One S, Samsung UBD-K8500 bluray player, Himedia Q5 android box
post #25169 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Were you able to get the free HBO promotion?

Anyone have trouble redeeming the HBO code for one of the wholesale club HBO promotions?

When I try to redeem it states my serial number is invalid. I checked it several times and I am entering the correct one but I am still getting the invalid serial number message. Also, on the page where you enter the serial number and date of purchase, there is a file upload button that you must use but it does not state what file to upload (I guess Samsung thinks its customers are mind readers and they must save words on the webpage explaining what file.) I assume it is a screen shot of the serial number or the bar-scan thing the TV produces on the same screen it shows the serial number. I tried pictures of both and neither worked.

Anyone have same problem? Any fix?
Not yet. Had the same issues! It is valid for 2016 models and the promotion is printed on the front of the box. I wasn't sure what to upload either. Didn't say anything. So I took a photo of my receipt to prove purchase. But didn't matter. Says my serial number is invalid. Going to try calling them.
post #25170 of 26430 Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM

Liked: 11
Hi Guys - finally pulled the trigger a week ago and got a 65KS800D from Costco... I set it up yesterday and so far, I am pretty pleased, even with 'out of the box' settings (the only thing I changed so far, as I was testing the TV, is turn on movie mode)... Marco Polo on Netflix is nothing short of stunning!
I have two questions:

The native apps don't seem to do justice to the display (whenever content is NOT playing): the colors are a bit faded, letters/fonts are sometimes fuzzy, and the color gradients are just poorly defined... just doesn't look crisp and sharp as what I now know the display is capable of based on my 4k experience playing content on Netflix. Is this a normal behavior for this TV set? (if it helps - firmware 1168, panel FA01)

I've had the tv up and running for two days only, but I've had to 'reset' the tv twice already (by pressing the OFF button for a few seconds and restarting the TV) after launching the netflix app gave me nothing but a black screen. Has anyone experienced this previously and is there any specific setting I need to adjust here to fix this behavior?

Now onto tinkering with more setting to get the most of this pretty awesome tv..... and thanks to all the contributors to this thread... what a wealth of information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS8000/KS8500
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page