Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 98 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41947Likes

post #2911 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson5x1 View Post
I just had my KS8000 delivered yesterday. I've been up all night trying to work a few bugs out with it so forgive me if I'm asking about something that's been answered. It's just with return policies being what they are I've got a day or so to work this out or return it.

The picture is just fine, and I'm sure I can tweak it further given time.

First problem: The smart hub took over my cable DVR (Charter) and like many of you, I'm using my Charter control for the most part. However, I have a 1TB hard drive (75% full) connected to it and when I click on the links for my recorded programs I get a message saying my external drive is not connected (it is connected to the DVR). If I click "Help", it shows me the serial number of the Drive and says I can delete all the recordings (but it doesn't say it will be usuable on the DVR after that). I'd hate to lose my recordings but I'm open to it if I can get a workable end result. Would the drive have to be attached to the Smart Hub (It's an e-sata connection).

Second problem; The speakers work and that's fine, but not what I'm used to. Until the set-up, I had the optical cable set-up to my receiver via my DVR (the optical connect on my previous display stopped working years ago). I had a standard stereo set-up (its an older receiver but works just fine) for my ROKU and the antenna. So now the Smart Hub leaves me with one option to use my receiver: the optical. However, at this point my optical isn't working. I plugged one end into the side of the smart hub, and the other into the receiver. I've set the sound for optical on the display. Nothing (and it was working just fine minutes before the set-up. I tried another optical cord and the same result. Is there a special Optical connector I need (these are a couple years old)? My set-up is still great for blu-rays (though if I upgrade I'll have to buy a new receiver. So.. is there a simple solution to my audio problem, -something I'm missing? Can this display be hooked up to a receiver (that's not some special Samsung receiver with exclusive connections that's going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm in over my head.
For the optical situation it's all standard stuff. You must have something set incorrectly on the receiver or the display. TV needs to be set to play audio out through optical. Receiver needs to have the optical port set to the input you are using for the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post
Here is a picture. As you can see the red gets very blurry on the edges and isn't sharp at all.
Watch higher quality content or sit further away from the TV.
post #2913 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by layzzzee8 View Post
That wasn't an issue on my last set? This is considered normal/acceptable?

post #2914 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
That wasn't an issue on my last set? This is considered normal/acceptable?
Is this set bigger than your last? If so the imperfections will be more noticeable as it is as if you are sitting closer. If not then it is due to 4K upscaling which can introduce artifacts on poor quality content like cable.
post #2915 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxFuturexX View Post
Did you plug in the setting from rtings.com? That seems to be the starting point for most users. I just set mine up today too. Did those tweaks and it was a big improvement, try your settings with HDR+ on and off to compare - you might like it depending on content.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
Entered all the settings this morning. It looks much better from a color accuracy standpoint and pops a bit more. Still looks a bit flat from time to time but overall much better.

Right now I'm struggling with noise/artifacts around edges of items.
Terminader likes this.
post #2916 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Backlight Bleed

Hi Guys,
I was happy owner of KS8000 till I started to play with tv and tried to get maximum from her and noticed backlight bleed along top edge and 2 spots in the middle. It's worst when you have of course dark content or when you swap sources and there is no signal. I'll attach picture so please give me your opinion about that. Other than that i have to say TV is great and when I tested those 2 HDR trailers available for free that was amazing ( if somebody know about other HDR content please share). What is disapointing in comparison to my previous H7000 is missing gyroscope controller and option to switch off screen when listening to radio, not to mention that some of those stations I had no problem play on my old tv says stream error on this one under same player.

Thanks for replies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160627_225852.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1537049  
post #2917 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Current set up and devices with my UN65KS8500:
Also a Samsung soundbar HWJ8500

Connect box: originally I was using the following
Tivo HDMI 1

Apple TV HDMI 2

PS 3 (DVD player) HDMI 3

(I've been swapping the ps3 HDMI with the fireTV)

HDMI 4 was going to the soundbar ARC HDMI port
Optical cable connect box to optical on the soundbar

Today my son came over and checked the setup and said I dont need the HDMI from ARC HDMI to soundbar so he removed it.

Do I still need the ARC HDMI connection?

Id like to have that HDMI 4 connection free for a fireTV stick if possible?

Thx

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)

Last edited by Expidia; 07-09-2016 at 05:34 PM.
post #2918 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
For the optical situation it's all standard stuff. You must have something set incorrectly on the receiver or the display. TV needs to be set to play audio out through optical. Receiver needs to have the optical port set to the input you are using for the TV.
I actually fixed the problem with sort of a "Hail, Mary" "Can't possibly work" sort of thing that actually shocked me when sound came out. I have two optical ports, but one stopped responding years ago and I've been using one for everything. Just to say I tried everything, I tried the "dead" connection, -and it worked.
post #2919 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 4337
Quote:
Originally Posted by satnoch View Post
I tested those 2 HDR trailers available for free that was amazing ( if somebody know about other HDR content please share).

First and second posts in >> THIS THREAD <<

Richard
post #2920 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnoch View Post
Backlight Bleed
I was happy owner of KS8000 till I started to play with tv and tried to get maximum from her and noticed backlight bleed along top edge and 2 spots in the middle. It's worst when you have of course dark content or when you swap sources and there is no signal.

Make sure you have "Smart LED" turned ON

Also, try turning down your "Backlight" a bit more.

Richard
post #2921 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Just my opinion but . . .

I never got why so many people like movie mode? I find its usually always darker and tinted yellowish green.

I find the standard mode on this new KS series tv very good without even having to tweak it.

And I always calibrate my TV's settings with a DVD essentials disk. Still, I find I myself resetting the pics back to default as the newer tvs seem to have a pretty good handle on decent pic settings from the get go.

I've owned flat screens for maybe 15 years and never got the movie mode setting and now they are forcing us to only see HDR by using movie mode.

Hey its your TV and your eyeballs, so adjust it the way YOU like it...

If you prefer the "Standard" picture mode to the (more accurate) "Movie" mode, than leave it on "Standard" (well at least for non-HDR content).

Now that being said, the reason that most TV "experts" and "professional calibrators" recommend the "Movie" picture mode, and a "Warm" Color Tone, is because the "Movie" and "Warm" settings are the most accurate 'out of the box' - that is to say, they are the settings that brings you closest to a properly calibrated display.

Calibrating a TV simply means setting it to match a set of established "standards".

When your TV at home is properly calibrated, the image you see on your screen will look as close as possible to what the director of the movie or TV show saw on his monitor (e.g. the Hulk will be the exact same shade of green on both TVs).

The point is, in order for your TV to adhere to the director's vision, it needs to reproduce white as closely as possible to the ISF recommended D65 (Daylight 6500K) which is similar to ambient daylight at midday. D65 is the standard used throughout the film and TV world.

If you have been conditioned to seeing a cooler/bluer, more dynamic picture, the "Movie" mode will appear far too "red" (or slightly "yellow") and too dim at first (cooler/bluer colors appear brighter than warmer/redder ones). However, give it a few days for your eyes and brain to adjust to the new more accurate settings (trust me, they will). After a few days, if you go back to one of the more "dynamic" modes, you’ll notice that the picture will appear far too bright and too blue.

Although less accurate, the "Standard" picture mode is brighter (bluer/cooler) than the "Movie" mode and therefore could be the preferred choice for some when viewing in a bright room. Color temperature (or the temperature of "white") refers to the color of the light source that's being displayed on your screen. Generally speaking, the "Cool" settings are more suited for viewing in a brightly-lit room whereas the "Warm" settings are more suited for viewing in a dimly-lit room.

Additionally, many of the advanced picture settings are only available/adjustable in the "Movie" picture mode.

Richard
post #2922 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Did you plug in the setting from rtings.com? That seems to be the starting point for most users. I just set mine up today too. Did those tweaks and it was a big improvement, try your settings with HDR+ on and off to compare - you might like it depending on content.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
Entered all the settings this morning. It looks much better from a color accuracy standpoint and pops a bit more. Still looks a bit flat from time to time but overall much better.

Right now I'm struggling with noise/artifacts around edges of items.
Do you have sharpness set to anything other than 0?
post #2923 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, it's on zero. I'm guessing this is just a product of LCD sets that I have to adjust to. 4k content looks really really good.
post #2924 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post

If you prefer the "Standard" picture mode to the (more accurate) "Movie" mode, than leave it on "Standard" (well at least for non-HDR content).

Now that being said, the reason that most TV "experts" and "professional calibrators" recommend the "Movie" picture mode, and a "Warm" Color Tone, is because the "Movie" and "Warm" settings are the most accurate 'out of the box' - that is to say, they are the settings that brings you closest to a properly calibrated display.

Calibrating a TV simply means setting it to match a set of established "standards".

When your TV at home is properly calibrated, the image you see on your screen will look as close as possible to what the director of the movie or TV show saw on his monitor (e.g. the Hulk will be the exact same shade of green on both TVs).

The point is, in order for your TV to adhere to the director's vision, it needs to reproduce white as closely as possible to the ISF recommended D65 (Daylight 6500K) which is similar to ambient daylight at midday. D65 is the standard used throughout the film and TV world.

If you have been conditioned to seeing a cooler/bluer, more dynamic picture, the "Movie" mode will appear far too "red" (or slightly "yellow") and too dim at first (cooler/bluer colors appear brighter than warmer/redder ones). However, give it a few days for your eyes and brain to adjust to the new more accurate settings (trust me, they will). After a few days, if you go back to one of the more "dynamic" modes, you’ll notice that the picture will appear far too bright and too blue.

Although less accurate, the "Standard" picture mode is brighter (bluer/cooler) than the "Movie" mode and therefore could be the preferred choice for some when viewing in a bright room. Color temperature (or the temperature of "white") refers to the color of the light source that's being displayed on your screen. Generally speaking, the "Cool" settings are more suited for viewing in a brightly-lit room whereas the "Warm" settings are more suited for viewing in a dimly-lit room.

Additionally, many of the advanced picture settings are only available/adjustable in the "Movie" picture mode.

Richard
Thanks Richard . . . I'll give it a try.
King Richard likes this.

UNK65KS8500 (curved model)
HW-K950 Samsung Atmos soundbar-with rears
HW-J8500 Samsung Soundbar (sold 10-24-16)
Sanus universal soundbar speaker mount SA405B1
Samsung 4K Ultra HD Bluray player UBDK8500
Harmony 650 remote ($43 amazon)
post #2925 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
Just my opinion but . . .

I never got why so many people like movie mode? I find its usually always darker and tinted yellowish green.

I find the standard mode on this new KS series tv very good without even having to tweak it.

And I always calibrate my TV's settings with a DVD essentials disk. Still, I find I myself resetting the pics back to default as the newer tvs seem to have a pretty good handle on decent pic settings from the get go.

I've owned flat screens for maybe 15 years and never got the movie mode setting and now they are forcing us to only see HDR by using movie mode.

If you have been conditioned to seeing a cooler/bluer, more dynamic picture, the "Movie" mode will appear far too "red" (or slightly "yellow") and too dim at first (cooler/bluer colors appear brighter than warmer/redder ones). However, give it a few days for your eyes and brain to adjust to the new more accurate settings (trust me, they will). After a few days, if you go back to one of the more "dynamic" modes, you?ll notice that the picture will appear far too bright and too blue.

Richard
Exactly. And just to piggy back on that. If you feel movie mode is too yellow. Try turning color tone to warm1 or standard. That's really the only difference between standard and movie other than dynamic contrast being set to high on standard mode. I prefer it set to medium on movie mode. I'm also watching movie mode set to warm1 and will eventually set it to warm2 once my eyes adjust. It's less of a shock this way.
King Richard likes this.
post #2926 of 29333 Old 07-09-2016, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, it's on zero. I'm guessing this is just a product of LCD sets that I have to adjust to. 4k content looks really really good.
It's like how standard def content looked on our 1080p sets. It's a byproduct of upscaling. We just have to live with it until the broadcasts catch up.
post #2927 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know of good 4k shows? For example, my girls love animals, so something like "Life" or Planet Earth 4k streaming would be great. I've looked on youtube but it seems the stuff labeled "HD" really isn't HD. Any thoughts or help? 4k content is amazing on this set.
post #2928 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Anyone know of good 4k shows? For example, my girls love animals, so something like "Life" or Planet Earth 4k streaming would be great. I've looked on youtube but it seems the stuff labeled "HD" really isn't HD. Any thoughts or help? 4k content is amazing on this set.
There is 4k content on Netflix and Amazon and other streaming services dependant on your location and whether Samsung has an app for it.

YouTube has a lot of 4K content. Just search for 4K or UHD.
post #2929 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Has anyone gotten any android remote to work except for the Samsung provided "smart view"?
post #2930 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased a Samsung 65" KS8000 and a Sony HTNT5 soundbar.

I am unsure whether to plug all of my devices into the NT5, and then use the arc cable to send everything to the TV, OR plug everything into the TV then use arc to send sound down to the soundbar. I have a PS4, cable box, and plan to get an HD blu ray eventually, possibly hooking up a PC as well. The NT5 supports HDCP 2.2 and has 3 HDMI ins.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you
post #2931 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

Saw a 65" ks8000 open box for 15% off the current price. Intrigued, I peered down into the box only to see the tv was not covered back up in plastic wrap. There was styrofoam bits all over the screen and the tv was loose moving about in the box.

Needless to say, I passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2932 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
I was relieved to find out how to turn off the samsung light in this thread, that alone could have been a deal breaker for me - could get distracting in dark rooms.
How do you turn off the Samsung logo light?
post #2933 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 55" KS8000 before they sell out on Amazon (less than 10 left) - wanna see if they do anything for Prime Day on Tuesday.... anyway, I have a few questions for you existing users that I want to clear up before committing to purchase. This will be my 1st Samsung TV, first 4K TV and my first smart TV, so I want to do it right.

1. In terms of HDR performance; its my understanding this TV has 2 HDR 'modes'... a native HDR mode, which enables when a true HDR source is played.. and an HDR+ which is a user-enabled HDR mode. My question is, with an mp4 or mkv file generated from an HDR bluray, does the HDR mode automatically enable? Or is that going to be something I need to manually enable HDR+?

2. Dovetailing with that first question; I have a 2TB USB Drive that I've ripped most of my Blurays to (my BR player died a year ago, and I currently just stream thru Plex so haven't needed a new player). I'm pretty sure from what I've read I wont be able to simply connect this drive to the TV's OneConnect and stream that way, so will likely still need to use Plex. That being said, does Plex on the KS8000 support 4K HDR streaming? I'm also looking into a Roku 4, if that makes any of this easier.

3. Finally, I've seen a lot of variability in terms of light bleed on the top and bottom of the screen; is most of this alleviated by turning on the Smart LED mode to High? Or is light bleed still an issue in dark rooms with this enabled?

Now I realize I may have posted this in the wrong forum... since I'm not technically a KS8000 owner... but answers to my questions can really only be answered by owners. My dilemma is do I go for the KS8000 now or wait til the 2016 LG OLED's (hopefully) drop in price later this year. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.
post #2934 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaly View Post
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 55" KS8000 before they sell out on Amazon (less than 10 left) - wanna see if they do anything for Prime Day on Tuesday.... anyway, I have a few questions for you existing users that I want to clear up before committing to purchase. This will be my 1st Samsung TV, first 4K TV and my first smart TV, so I want to do it right.

1. In terms of HDR performance; its my understanding this TV has 2 HDR 'modes'... a native HDR mode, which enables when a true HDR source is played.. and an HDR+ which is a user-enabled HDR mode. My question is, with an mp4 or mkv file generated from an HDR bluray, does the HDR mode automatically enable? Or is that going to be something I need to manually enable HDR+?

2. Dovetailing with that first question; I have a 2TB USB Drive that I've ripped most of my Blurays to (my BR player died a year ago, and I currently just stream thru Plex so haven't needed a new player). I'm pretty sure from what I've read I wont be able to simply connect this drive to the TV's OneConnect and stream that way, so will likely still need to use Plex. That being said, does Plex on the KS8000 support 4K HDR streaming? I'm also looking into a Roku 4, if that makes any of this easier.

3. Finally, I've seen a lot of variability in terms of light bleed on the top and bottom of the screen; is most of this alleviated by turning on the Smart LED mode to High? Or is light bleed still an issue in dark rooms with this enabled?

Now I realize I may have posted this in the wrong forum... since I'm not technically a KS8000 owner... but answers to my questions can really only be answered by owners. My dilemma is do I go for the KS8000 now or wait til the 2016 LG OLED's (hopefully) drop in price later this year. Thanks in advance for any assistance on this.
2) I have connected my external hard drive (containing videos) to the SmartConnect hub via USB, and I am able to watch those videos. I suppose compatibility will depend on specific video types and codecs used, but the typical ones play fine (avi, mp4, and mkv files, x264 and x265 codecs).

1) I downloaded some HDR demo videos and put them on my hard drive to play on the TV, and the TV is able to automatically switch to HDR mode. That being said, I have no idea how to make HDR videos from an HDR blu-ray.

3) Setting Smart LED to High will only alleviate light bleed in areas of the screen that are not displaying anything bright, but in general will not fix light bleed. If you have a TV with bad light bleed, you should exchange it. My 55" KS8000 has very minimal light bleed though.
post #2935 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I accessed the Amazon app from the screen to try some of the free UHD material. "Crouching Tiger" looked great, and I was asked if I wanted the subtitles, and I clicked "ok". However, now I can't get rid of the subtitles on all video on the site. I've clicked all over the app and can't find any access to turn them off. Does anybody have any thoughts/solutions? Thanks.
post #2936 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post
2) I have connected my external hard drive (containing videos) to the SmartConnect hub via USB, and I am able to watch those videos. I suppose compatibility will depend on specific video types and codecs used, but the typical ones play fine (avi, mp4, and mkv files, x264 and x265 codecs).

1) I downloaded some HDR demo videos and put them on my hard drive to play on the TV, and the TV is able to automatically switch to HDR mode. That being said, I have no idea how to make HDR videos from an HDR blu-ray.

3) Setting Smart LED to High will only alleviate light bleed in areas of the screen that are not displaying anything bright, but in general will not fix light bleed. If you have a TV with bad light bleed, you should exchange it. My 55" KS8000 has very minimal light bleed though.

So that being said, does anyone know how to "eject" a USB drive from the TV? It sucks to have to unplug it when the motors are still running on my hard drive. Also, it seems like after I plug my drive back into my Mac, it clams some of the videos I played on the TV are still "in use", so I can't re-play them on my computer. I'm not sure if that might be fixed if I can properly eject my drive though?
post #2937 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbfreek View Post

Question about your light bleed to compare it with my KS8000 55". I would say on the bottom black bar, zero. Jet black always when viewing straight on. As to the top bar, and in a pitch black room only, there is some minimal glow on the top of the top bar, not enough to be distracting, but not jet black like the bottom bar. My back light is set to 13 and brightness at 34. How does yours compare? Thanks.
post #2938 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 223 Post(s)
Quoted: 10137 Post(s)
Liked: 9084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokaly View Post

Amazon won't sell out, when the number gets near 0, it usually restocks. So don't feel rushed.
The_Donster likes this.
post #2939 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman123 View Post
Question about your light bleed to compare it with my KS8000 55". I would say on the bottom black bar, zero. Jet black always when viewing straight on. As to the top bar, and in a pitch black room only, there is some minimal glow on the top of the top bar, not enough to be distracting, but not jet black like the bottom bar. My back light is set to 13 and brightness at 34. How does yours compare? Thanks.

That sounds like about what I have, except my backlight is set to 9-10. I only notice some top light bleed when I turned all the lights off in the room, and I usually don't watch in total darkness anyway.
post #2940 of 29333 Old 07-10-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
Amazon won't sell out, when the number gets near 0, it usually restocks. So don't feel rushed.

Agreed. That being said, I would also not expect this TV to be on sale during prime day, since it's a relatively new TV. There may be some deals on last year's models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
KS8000/KS8500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page