AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread

6M views 38K replies 3K participants last post by  Robert Simandl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
READ BELOW BEFORE POSTING

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This thread is exclusively for current owners of the listed sets. It is not a comparison thread. It is not a "Help Me Choose"" thread except, perhaps between listed models. It is not a place for owners of other sets to come in and bash this set, even if you also own this set. OWNERS ONLY and discussions of the listed sets ONLY. If you do not own the listed set(s), it's highly advised you DO NOT POST in this thread.

Many of these same owners are subscribed to the help-me-choose threads and regularly check the section's front page and will happily field non-owner questions there. They've kindly asked for a place where they can discuss things between themselves. So, please respect their wishes.

The attached Guide contains a collection of information based upon thousands of posts in this forum. Use this to help you with your questions BEFORE you post here. It's likely that your question has been answered. If not, or if you need clarification, please post as we welcome the discussion and the opportunity to provide you with guidance.

Features of the Guide:
- Organized into six sections: Potential Owner, Initial Setup, General Usage, Troubleshooting, Advanced Topics, and Glossary
- Clickable links to the forum itself, external websites with relevant information, posts within the forum, and common forum searches within each section
- FAQs within each section

We also welcome any suggestions to improve the Guide.

If your question isn't answered in the guide, try the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" box above. Better to get your answers quickly rather than creating a post and wondering why nobody's responding to it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,681 ·
The new firmware may have fixed hdr color tracking issues.

What color space do you guys use?according to the ks9800 review that got updated this morning, the new FW fixes the color tracking errors and now correctly maps hdr to rec2020 instead of p3 (LG did the same last week).

According to Steve Withers, the auto color space will track rec2020 while native tracks P3, which will cause color clipping. He says with hdr, you should use auto.

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks9500-ue65ks9500-uhd-4k-tv-review.12673

#2,682 ·
The new firmware may have fixed hdr color tracking issues.

What color space do you guys use?according to the ks9800 review that got updated this morning, the new FW fixes the color tracking errors and now correctly maps hdr to rec2020 instead of p3 (LG did the same last week).

According to Steve Withers, the auto color space will track rec2020 while native tracks P3, which will cause color clipping. He says with hdr, you should use auto.

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ks9500-ue65ks9500-uhd-4k-tv-review.12673
That would be awesome. I can tell you that this was the slowest downloading update I've seen thus far. I have 150mb/down internet hardwired to the TV and it took 6 minutes to download it. Couldn't find anything new but Amazon seemed to start right into 4k immediately instead of the typical pixelated mess and then after 10 seconds switching. Not sure if it was coincidental or not but only thing I've noticed thus far. According to Samsung it was an update for "performance enhancement of the TV, Browser and Input devices"

#2,683 ·
Hey guys, looking for a thin fixed (although I wouldn't kick one with tilt out of bed) that gets me a super low profile for the the 55" model. The new mount Samsung makes for this model has no horizontal movement (has to be attached to the wall right at the vesa bolt holes, lame) so that is out. I'd also prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars on it. Any suggestions? Looked through the thread and didn't find much.

#2,685 ·
Big guessing game on BF pricing. In many cases the higher end sets don't really have any blockbuster deals during the holidays. Good deals? Sure, but worth waiting 5 mos for? maybe not...

Looking at historic pricing and the way these sets typically fall, if it's on sale for $1,400 today, it might be on sale for $1,000 or $1,100 by Christmas.
Thanks, I'm hoping it's around 1k around Black Friday time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

#2,686 ·
Do I've been going through all the posts trying to figure out the best settings for a game system and there's about going on.i have a ps4, like what hdmi port and what settings are best? Digital clean view on.?,auto motion on?, etc. Could someone please help.
My son plays his PS4 through my KS558000. He just uses it on whatever picture setting I left it on. He doesn't bother with game mode setting. He hasn't complained of any lag. Looks awesome!

I have most of the digital processing set to off. Only one I use is setting Judder to 5 or 6.

#2,687 ·
Do I've been going through all the posts trying to figure out the best settings for a game system and there's about going on.i have a ps4, like what hdmi port and what settings are best? Digital clean view on.?,auto motion on?, etc. Could someone please help.
All enhancement should be off and you probably want to turn on game mode when playing games. I can send you the settings I have set for my Xbox and they look pretty good. The HDMI port does not make a difference unless you need ARC support and that I believe is only on port 4.

#2,688 ·
Hey guys, looking for a thin fixed (although I wouldn't kick one with tilt out of bed) that gets me a super low profile for the the 55" model. The new mount Samsung makes for this model has no horizontal movement (has to be attached to the wall right at the vesa bolt holes, lame) so that is out. I'd also prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars on it. Any suggestions? Looked through the thread and didn't find much.
I just picked up this one. Should be here tomorrow. Monoprice mounts are well reviewed. It's tilt and 1.8" from the wall. They have fixed mounts that are less than an inch from the wall as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5916

#2,692 ·
I just picked up this one. Should be here tomorrow. Monoprice mounts are well reviewed. It's tilt and 1.8" from the wall. They have fixed mounts that are less than an inch from the wall as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5916
Thanks, I ended going with the Sanus VLT16 .. it's .82" from the wall and supports tilt. I am thinking about mounting the TV at picture height rather than couch eye level so this will allow me to add a bit of tilt if there is any washout from the viewing angle straight on. If not, I just wasted 80$ over the monoprice but we'll see.

#2,693 · (Edited)
So I went back to best buy last week after purchasing a UN65KS8500 for $1999 two weeks ago.

I gave my home theater set up to my daughter and went to back to best buy to buy a soundbar.
The day I was there they dropped the price of the Samsung HWJ8500 9.1 model from $1300 to $399!

My salesman phillip chardeen at the albany ny crossgates magnolia store (who also sold me the tv) said we only have the demo unit but he can order a new one and the truck will be in next week on friday.

I specifically requested that when it comes in "please put my name on it and make sure its not a damaged box".
I bought tv and soundbar at best buy because I did not want to wait a week only to receive damaged goods online and then go thru the hassle of returning item.

best buy will probably make this guy their "salesman of the year"

I went there yesterday to pick it up:

Of course I got the old "this is the only one we are getting in as they are all sold out or you can take the demo".

After waiting a week, I reluctantly took it (after taking these pics) and asked him to note the box damage to which of course when I got home and looked at the bill he never noted anything.

It was packed in their foam well and I saw no damage and so far it plays fine.

But since this is his idea of an undamaged box . . . best buy might even make this guy store manager!

Attachments

Reactions: LegendarySushi
#2,694 · (Edited)
Here is what the new sound bar looks like under my KS8500 on my sanus stand and using the optional sanus universal soundbar bracket (SA405B1 . . . $32 amazon).

First pic is using the legs (I did like them as they look sharp) but the credenza I had it on divided the living room from the dining room.
Then I remembered I had this nice sanus stand from another house rental that we used in our master bedroom.
It was still under my bed where I stored it in pieces.
So I took it out an set it up outside to sell in a garage sale last week . . .
It looked so nice out there I took it back upstairs and set up the new curved sammy on it.

next pic is what it looks like with the new soundbar.
Lastly a pic of the sanus universal mount.
This soundbar is a 2015 model and the included bracket will not attach to a 2016 model tv.
But you can still use the bracket, attach it to the sound bar and then attach the soundbar and bracket to a universal bracket which in turn then mounts to a tv stand bracket or a wall mount.
The bracket is great . . . highly recommend. can also be used for wall mounting a soundbar to a wall mount bracket. attach to any wall mount, hang the soundbar off the bottom of the wall mount then hang the wall mount, then the tv!

This sanus stand is great for this 65 inch curved sammy. Notice how the last pic shows how much the stand opened the space between my living room and dining room up again without the credenza which divided the rooms up.

Attachments

#2,695 ·
Here is what the new sound bar looks like under my KS8500 on my sanus stand and using the optional sanus universal soundbar bracket (SA405B1 . . . $32 amazon).

First pic is using the legs (I did like them as they look sharp) but the credenza I had it on divided the living room from the dining room.
Then I remembered I had this nice sanus stand from another house rental that we used in our master bedroom.
It was still under my bed where I stored it in pieces.
So I took it out an set it up outside to sell in a garage sale last week . . .
It looked so nice out there I took it back upstairs and set up the new curved sammy on it.

next pic is what it looks like with the new soundbar.
Lastly a pic of the sanus universal mount.
This soundbar is a 2015 model and the included bracket will not attach to a 2016 model tv.
But you can still use the bracket, attach it to the sound bar and then attach the soundbar and bracket to a universal bracket which in turn then mounts to a tv stand bracket or a wall mount.
The bracket is great . . . highly recommend. can also be used for wall mounting a soundbar to a wall mount bracket. attach to any wall mount, hang the soundbar off the bottom of the wall mount then hang the wall mount, then the tv!

This sanus stand is great for this 65 inch curved sammy. Notice how the last pic shows how much the stand opened the space between my living room and dining room up again without the credenza which divided the rooms up.

I know I sound like a broken record but man samsung really improved their blues on the 2016 sets. Way above the 2015 sets and the 2014 sets aren't even at the dinner table.

#2,696 ·
I know I sound like a broken record but man samsung really improved their blues on the 2016 sets. Way above the 2015 sets and the 2014 sets aren't even at the dinner table.
Ya, the pic is simply breath taking on a movie like netflix's 4K version of "oceans".
Big color changes over my 2 year old $1600 entry level sammy that I sold to my daughter and bought the KS8500.
Many say the curve is a gimmick but I've desired a curve model since I walked by a demo unit in BJ's 3 years ago which was probably only a 40 inch model for $3999. At least for me, I really feel it immerses me more in the movie than a flat model.

The sammy soundbar also is a sweet addition. Very well made build quality wise. Lotsa sound tweaks available by the remote and the wireless sub can be placed anywhere within 32 feet. The sub and the side firing speakers on the soundbar somewaht make up for the sound of a jet flying over your head or a door closing behind you. The sound bar does a hell of a job filling the room without the amp and multiple speakers I had with my prior home theater setup.

I could never really get a couch far enough from a back wall to truly give me the surround sound I was expecting from the $1000 home theater set up i've used over the past years. The soundbar is a nice trade off for the $399 and 9.1 speakers setup.

Reactions: King Richard
#2,697 ·
Ya, the pic is simply breath taking on a movie like netflix's 4K version of "oceans".
Big color changes over my 2 year old $1600 entry level sammy that I sold to my daughter and bought the KS8500.
Many say the curve is a gimmick but I've desired a curve model since I walked by a demo unit in BJ's 3 years ago which was probably only a 40 inch model for $3999. At least for me, I really feel it immerses me more in the movie than a flat model.

The sammy soundbar also is a sweet addition. Very well made build quality wise. Lotsa sound tweaks available by the remote and the wireless sub can be placed anywhere within 32 feet. The sub and the side firing speakers on the soundbar somewaht make up for the sound of a jet flying over your head or a door closing behind you. The sound bar does a hell of a job filling the room without the amp and multiple speakers I had with my prior home theater setup.

I could never really get a couch far enough from a back wall to truly give me the surround sound I was expecting from the $1000 home theater set up i've used over the past years. The soundbar is a nice trade off for the $399 and 9.1 speakers setup.

Is that the source of the ocean picture and blue sky (netflix oceans 4k)?

When I seen the ks8000 at abc warehouse last week, there was a similar 4k scene with a blue sky and it looked exactly like that, extremely impressive in person.

#2,698 ·
Not sure where you got your Sony, but if you got it at Best Buy, have you noticed every salesman trying to push for each person to go Sony? When shopping for my tv, I heard every salesman redirect everyone toward the Sony.
Hi. I'm new here, been lurking hard for the past 2 weeks. XD

It's the strangest phenomenon. Like the poster you were replying to I had gotten a Sony X850D, and then went ahead to switch to a Vizio P Series. However before that arrived I decided to go with the 55" KS8500 and it's going to be delivered this Thursday. However, yes... When I was returning the X850D, they were all pushing the sony back on me hard asking me what other TVs I was considering.

One of them even went on to say that the X850D won Best of CES this year which was total BS. In my own right mind I had serious trouble believing that a TV that doesn't really even produce black, but only shows dark grey could win anything. He kept saying the Sony was a Ferrari and the Vizio was a Prius. (I was like, "WTF is this guy talking about? These guys get paid to spew this BS?")

All was nice when gaming at full screen, the motion and color were ok, nothing special though, and I was quite upset that my old 6 year old Sony 1080p TV could produce better blacks than this new TV.

Best Buy staff on two different levels of the store were all pushing the Sony X850D hard, each one claiming that they owned one at home. lol. It was like being in the twilight zone and my gut was telling me they were trying to flog off the junk that is Sony's mid range offerings this year. There was nothing wrong with the X850D I got, it was just unacceptable to have blacks being that grey for a TV in 2016.

I was surfing online while casually chatting with a friend and came across the KS8500... I've never seen a TV this sexy before, so I immediately went to Best Buy to cancel the Vizio and change to the KS8500. LMAO. I made my decision based on the crazy contrast ratios I've read about and seeing the panel in person at a different Best Buy.

I'm pretty excited about the KS8500, for me motion handling is quite important as I will be using this TV for gaming mostly, but also watching action/marvel superhero movies. hahaha.

Also, I plan to use the KS8500 on my desk as a monitor and thought that the mild curve would be quite nice given I'll be 36" away from the TV. Spending $1300 for a curved monitor just didn't seem right to me, and my PC is able to handle 4K gaming very smoothly.

I've read about 60% of the thread and don't see many people post about PC gaming, apart from the panel having issues at 4K with game mode at 60Hz. I have a variety of HDMI cables and was able to game at 4K with no problems on the Sony, so my gear shouldn't be an issue (running dual GTX1080 cards). Even went online to pick up an active HDMI 2.0 cable for this TV.

Will report findings when the TV arrives.

#2,699 ·
Is that the source of the ocean picture and blue sky (netflix oceans 4k)?

When I seen the ks8000 at abc warehouse last week, there was a similar 4k scene with a blue sky and it looked exactly like that, extremely impressive in person.
Yes. 4K oceans on netflix. The sound is great too on the movie.

#2,700 ·
Hi. I'm new here, been lurking hard for the past 2 weeks. XD

It's the strangest phenomenon. Like the poster you were replying to I had gotten a Sony X850D, and then went ahead to switch to a Vizio P Series. However before that arrived I decided to go with the 55" KS8500 and it's going to be delivered this Thursday. However, yes... When I was returning the X850D, they were all pushing the sony back on me hard asking me what other TVs I was considering.

One of them even went on to say that the X850D won Best of CES this year which was total BS. In my own right mind I had serious trouble believing that a TV that doesn't really even produce black, but only shows dark grey could win anything. He kept saying the Sony was a Ferrari and the Vizio was a Prius. (I was like, "WTF is this guy talking about? These guys get paid to spew this BS?")

All was nice when gaming at full screen, the motion and color were ok, nothing special though, and I was quite upset that my old 6 year old Sony 1080p TV could produce better blacks than this new TV.

Best Buy staff on two different levels of the store were all pushing the Sony X850D hard, each one claiming that they owned one at home. lol. It was like being in the twilight zone and my gut was telling me they were trying to flog off the junk that is Sony's mid range offerings this year. There was nothing wrong with the X850D I got, it was just unacceptable to have blacks being that grey for a TV in 2016.

I was surfing online while casually chatting with a friend and came across the KS8500... I've never seen a TV this sexy before, so I immediately went to Best Buy to cancel the Vizio and change to the KS8500. LMAO. I made my decision based on the crazy contrast ratios I've read about and seeing the panel in person at a different Best Buy.

I'm pretty excited about the KS8500, for me motion handling is quite important as I will be using this TV for gaming mostly, but also watching action/marvel superhero movies. hahaha.

Also, I plan to use the KS8500 on my desk as a monitor and thought that the mild curve would be quite nice given I'll be 36" away from the TV. Spending $1300 for a curved monitor just didn't seem right to me, and my PC is able to handle 4K gaming very smoothly.

I've read about 60% of the thread and don't see many people post about PC gaming, apart from the panel having issues at 4K with game mode at 60Hz. I have a variety of HDMI cables and was able to game at 4K with no problems on the Sony, so my gear shouldn't be an issue (running dual GTX1080 cards). Even went online to pick up an active HDMI 2.0 cable for this TV.

Will report findings when the TV arrives.
Haha . . . re: the expertise of best buy employees! See my post a few post up #2693. And this was my personal experience with a clerk at magnola which is best buys higher end audio dept within some of their stores.

Reactions: LegendarySushi