AVS Forum banner

Official 2016 Sony XBR75 X940D Owners thread: no price talk

1M views 14K replies 797 participants last post by  meburdick 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I picked up the 940D last night and hooked it up as well. Coming from the Elite (Sharp) 70 and I am very happy so far. Upscaling Directv content looked great, 4k was stunning in everything I sampled from Amazon Video, and my video games on XBox One all looked better and I noticed no lag in FPS games. I obviously have to have it calibrated and play with it more but my initial impressions are very good.

I will post pics later tonight and continue to provide my thoughts.

Any other owners yet?

#14 ·
Initial impression of Amazon and other streaming content was very good, again it was a lot of sampling and playing with settings but I was quite impressed.

And in an ideal world some commentary re: how it fares compared to the 75" 940C, if you had/have one, or spent time with one.
I have not spent time with the 940C other than in a Magnolia room at BB, only thing I can really say is that I very much prefer the lack speakers on the size and the bezel is so small its barely noticeable, i know its personal preference.

I'd love to see some pictures of bright objects against black taken in a fully blacked out room -- in my opinion that's the acid test for any T.V.

Thanks
I will take some pics over the weekend. I did watch a bit of some dolphin short movie in 4K, it had a scene where the only picture was a small square area in the lower center of the screen, the image had a red frame / border, the rest of screen looked like it had been turned off, incredibly dark. I was quite impressed and my Elite 70 had great blacks as we all know, so this was very promising to me given its not calibrated yet.

If the 1st owner knows how to do a zone count, I think that would be extremely helpful for potential owners.
Will try to do so over the weekend.

And forgive me in advance, I'm not the best photographer but will do my best.

#6 ·
I'd love to see some pictures of bright objects against black taken in a fully blacked out room -- in my opinion that's the acid test for any T.V.

My understanding is that you have to order an emitter separately if you want to watch 3D. Does this T.V. have real time on board 2D to 3D conversion like the 940C?

Thanks

#8 ·

My understanding is that you have to order an emitter separately if you want to watch 3D. Does this T.V. have real time on board 2D to 3D conversion like the 940C?

Thanks

I think these tvs are the same, c and d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 · (Edited)
It was enabled on the "medium" setting if I recall correctly. My first instinct was to turn it off but I left it on and noticed No negative lag impact. I will surely try with it off as well.

#17 ·
I believe its a bit thicker than the 930D, dont quote me, I am sure the specs are on Sony's site. To be honest I didn't really consider the 930D as I wanted a FALD set. I will take a few side pics so you can see as well. As far as flex, I didn't notice any, the TV is fairly heavy, around 90 lbs. I took it out of the box with my son and assembled it on the stand. I noticed no flex, it felt sturdy and well built to me.

#40 ·
#19 ·
Congratulations. I too have an Sharp Elite 70" so I will be very interested in your comparison

Reactions: jpvision
#20 ·
One of the main things that has steered me towards the 940D over the P75 is reports of issues like yellow banding, screen tearing and dirty screen effect on the Vizio. If only a couple people had experienced that I wouldn't give it much weight, but several people in the Vizio thread have reported these issues and that scares me quite a bit. Were any of these issues ever noticed on the 940C and can new 940D owners report if they see any screen anomalies like that?

#23 ·
Some pics. The 3rd had a steel book bluray on top of the tv for reference to the thickness of the top part of the panel.

Attachments

#25 ·
I never saw so thin FALD TV set! Is there any compromise with regular FALD construction? Take a look at panasonic DX900 and compare thickness ...

#24 ·
treky11,

Could you please at some point in time check the screen for non-uniformity issues and specifically input a white or light grey full screen image to see if any unwanted backlight grid pattern "shadow" is visible ?
Thanks...

#32 · (Edited)
I looked at the screen in these conditions and noticed no uniformity issues. There was a tiny bit of darkness at the 4 corners when I had a torch white screen/setting displayed. Very happy again on this front.

Attachments

#26 ·
treky11, can you check quality of 3D? You can use glasses from sony or panasonic.

#30 ·
940c Users Settings: Viper32 / Shootout / CCsoftball7 / nobrien1 Contributions

If ya would like to try, a spreadsheet with settings I am sure will go well with the 940D. If you like things a little Vivid with POP try my settings. Congrats on the New set.

#2,872 ·
Viper,

How do I get to your vivid settings....I couldn't find a link.

Notes:

- Proud 940C owner here (dying to know what the 940D does better or worse).
- Star Trek - Into the Darknetss & Revenant on 4k UHD are both reference material to show off to your friends.

This community is great!!

Freddie

#42 · (Edited)
My impressions so far. Overall very pleased, I REALLY want to get this TV calibrated to see what it can do. I will make an amateur attempt this weekend and get my professional calibration scheduled soon. Some random late night thoughts

• Not a huge fan of the remote, I prefer remotes with traditional buttons, this remote has a soft rubber coating over "the recessed buttons". I'll post a pic so you can see what I mean. Not a big deal for me as I'll use my universal remote anyway
  • It appears that every input mode AND every App have their own memory for picture settings. I like this very much
  • For gaming, its definetly better than my Elite, in both picture quality and lag. Everything just feels better when playing FPS games
  • So far, still plan on keeping the set. Definitely an improvement over my Elite, 4K content obviously, but all HD content from Directv looks better as well
  • I have never used the Android system before, its very responsive and I haven't noticed any problems with it so far (there was a fairly large firmware update when I plugged it in)
  • Running the cables through the back of the TV in the provided channels was a bit of a pain, particularly getting the plastic cover over the rear stand, but worth it as it provides a nice clean look
  • As I said earlier, the thin black bezels disappears when watching and makes for a more movie like experience, pulling you into the picture IMO.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. I also plan on picking up the Samsung UHD BluRay player and will get some pics with content coming from there. Keen to see the improvement over what I have streamed so far.

Attachments

#43 ·
Hey Treky, is there anything you don't like about the 940D and does it have any screen anomalies or is it pretty much perfect? Also, have you had a chance to view any newer, reference PQ Blu-rays on it and if so, what was your impression of watching regular Blu-rays on the set? Thanks. :)

#99 ·
Very little heat. It has a vent on the the top of the bump out in the back. I could feel a bit of warm air coming out and that area was a bit warm but nothing I would call hot. IMO its expected to create some warmth, its basically a 75 inch led light bulb in some regards.

Its much much cooler than any plasma I have been around.

#54 ·
Not sure if anybody recalls, but I remember when the 75X940C came out people were counting only 84 zones, it took a while before somebody (a reviewer?) got a more accurate count of 128 zones. So who knows...but I can say I have seen both sets playing much of the same content, and while they both look great. the 940D definitely looks better. Playing the Sony "4K HDR Vegas" clip on both, the D has noticeably deeper black and minimized blooming.

#60 ·
I believe a VESA mount can't be used, yes.

Here are two of the panels/ports. The rest are behind the 3rd large panel you can see in the picture below. I don't want to take that off right now, perhaps Wednesday when my new marantz 8802a gets here. Sorry, hope these are helpful for now.

Attachments

Reactions: boe
#58 ·
I think a lot of Sharp Elite Pro-70X5FD owners (like myself) are interested to hear of the comparison.
How does the upscaling of blu-ray and HD tv on the Sony compare to Elite?

#59 ·
I think the upscaling is better in every way. I am really impressed with the difference. I went into this thinking if its not significant I will return the set and wait another year. I can not imagine doing that now. Just hooked up the Samsung UHD bluray player and I'm watching The Martian in HDR. amazing. this pic doesn't do it justice, I wish I had a really good digital camera. the level of detail and contrast is amazing to me. its as if he is sitting in my living room. I don't want to pause watching to calibrate.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.