Samsung (48 inch) ju6400 priced at $499. Good buy for secondary room? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By dhasselbacher
  • 1 Post By dhasselbacher
  • 1 Post By COZisBack
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-18-2016, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dandlewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Samsung (48 inch) ju6400 priced at $499. Good buy for secondary room?

With all the new models coming out for 2016, it looks like everyone is discounting the 2015 models. Which of these do you think is the 'best' deal for a gym room (mostly netflix/hulu watching). Looking for a ¬50 inch screen.


Ju6400 at $499 (48 inches)
Heard decent things about it, but I'm wary about Judder. Allegedly most people can't notice it? I couldn't tell from what I saw at BB, but who knows what their source is playing at.

sony 830c $898 (49 inches)
Out of my price range, but debating overspending to prevent judder. Allegedly has really bad contrast and smart feature processing.

Samsung JS7000 $797. (50 inches) (849 for 55 inch)
Again, more than I want to spend. On one hand it's got Suhd, on the other hand it still has judder.

TCL 48FS3750 48-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2016 Model) $328.00
okay, it's a 2016 model, but it's dirt cheap. So many potential negatives: Can't see it in person, 1080p vs 4k, 60 hz, and most importantly, it's TCL. I don't know if I could actually force myself to click the purchase button.



What are your thoughts? Or should I just forget a tv completely and just listen to Tibetan throat singing while I work out?
Dandlewood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Member
 
dhasselbacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlewood View Post
With all the new models coming out for 2016, it looks like everyone is discounting the 2015 models. Which of these do you think is the 'best' deal for a gym room (mostly netflix/hulu watching). Looking for a ¬50 inch screen.


Ju6400 at $499 (48 inches)
Heard decent things about it, but I'm wary about Judder. Allegedly most people can't notice it? I couldn't tell from what I saw at BB, but who knows what their source is playing at.

sony 830c $898 (49 inches)
Out of my price range, but debating overspending to prevent judder. Allegedly has really bad contrast and smart feature processing.

Samsung JS7000 $797. (50 inches) (849 for 55 inch)
Again, more than I want to spend. On one hand it's got Suhd, on the other hand it still has judder.

TCL 48FS3750 48-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2016 Model) $328.00
okay, it's a 2016 model, but it's dirt cheap. So many potential negatives: Can't see it in person, 1080p vs 4k, 60 hz, and most importantly, it's TCL. I don't know if I could actually force myself to click the purchase button.



What are your thoughts? Or should I just forget a tv completely and just listen to Tibetan throat singing while I work out?
I bought the 6400 48" about a month ago at Costco for $599 but took it back because it didn't quite fit our bedroom armoire. The set was fairly impressive, and the 4k clips I streamed via YouTube looked really good. The wi-fi was very strong and never dropped, buffered, etc. The 48" JS8500 is better but ridiculously over priced unless you order from Costco.com for $999.

As for the 43" and 49" Sony 830c models, I think they look great but like you said overpriced.

Don't really know about the Samsung 7000 or the TCL other than seeing them quickly.
Dandlewood likes this.
dhasselbacher is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dandlewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhasselbacher View Post
I bought the 6400 48" about a month ago at Costco for $599 but took it back because it didn't quite fit our bedroom armoire. The set was fairly impressive, and the 4k clips I streamed via YouTube looked really good. The wi-fi was very strong and never dropped, buffered, etc. The 48" JS8500 is better but ridiculously over priced unless you order from Costco.com for $999.

As for the 43" and 49" Sony 830c models, I think they look great but like you said overpriced.

Don't really know about the Samsung 7000 or the TCL other than seeing them quickly.
Did you get a chance to look at any 24p content? I don't know who to believe about how noticeable the judder is.
Dandlewood is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Member
 
dhasselbacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlewood View Post
Did you get a chance to look at any 24p content? I don't know who to believe about how noticeable the judder is.
I did not get the chance to view any 24p content to test for judder, so I can't comment on that.
Dandlewood likes this.
dhasselbacher is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
COZisBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pickerington, Ohio
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Something to consider is that you're going to be working out in your gym, so I'd doubt you'll be focusing enough on the TV to care about how great the picture quality is. Spending $300 on TV that's going to be on a normal max of 3 hours a day on the high end and probably only focused on 15 minutes in those 3 hours, is probably where you want to be. The picture quality on the TCL should be considered great for what you're planning to use it for.
Dandlewood likes this.

My Main Setup
Display: Panasonic TC-P60ST60 w/Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight Touch
Sound: Yamaha RX-V375 / Pioneer AJ SP-PK52FS 5.0 / Dual SVS PB-1000s
Sources: DirecTV HR44/200 / Xbox One 500GB w/Kinect & 4TB External / 1st Gen Chromecast / HP EliteBook 8460p (Win10)
COZisBack is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Dandlewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After (too) much deliberation, I decided on the 6400. I went to my local bby and checked out the roku TV's they had (no TCL, insignia and sharp). I was a bit underwhelmed, though I'm not sure how much had to do with default settings. I think they had the sharpness cranked to 100% on both sets. Anyway, I figure for an extra 150 bucksish I'm getting a 4k TV with all of the smart features I use (Hulu, Netflix, Drama Fever) that I can pass on to my son in a couple years when he's old enough to have a TV in his bedroom. By then, I'm sure 4k gaming will be standard (going to be at least 5-7 years) so I won't have to listen to the "ungh, this TV isn't even 4k" griping. To be fair, I'll probably hear, "ungh, this doesn't even have HDR" or "60 hz? Dad, you're so lame..." I can only assume my son (who's only a toddler right now) will be just like his dad.

Long story short, thanks for all the advice, I feel like the 6400 is the melting pot decision. Inexpensive but with some level of potentially diverse use.

Thanks, as always, for the help!
Dandlewood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off