What 60" for this room? (Pictures) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By harjms
  • 1 Post By sytech
  • 1 Post By mc4saints
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What 60" for this room? (Pictures)

Bought this house. Haven't moved in yet. My 67" will not fit in the built in. 60" is max. I could go 55" and have more options but I am not a videophile and would rather a larger screen.

At first thoughts, I would think best TV for a bright room and off angles but I hate to sacrifice fast action sports and movies as well. I would like at least pretty good black levels for watching movies at night.

I have tried to research on my own and have narrowed it down to these 3 but I am open to other options if you guys think something would be better.

Samsung - JU7100 at $2000
LG - UH8500 at $2000
Samsung - JS7000 at $1400

Thanks in advance for advice and opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1397506   Click image for larger version

Name:	House.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1397514  
mc4saints is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
A lot of folks seem to be ranting/raving about the new Vizio P Series. Unfortunately they don't have a 60" model. Nonetheless, the new M Series does have a 60" model, and would probably blow those away since it's a FALD screen. I don't own a Vizio, but they're starting to look more appealing. I have the JU7500 curved, and I think it's amazing, but bang for the buck, the Vizio is looking nice.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/m60d1.html
mc4saints likes this.
harjms is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjms View Post
A lot of folks seem to be ranting/raving about the new Vizio P Series. Unfortunately they don't have a 60" model. Nonetheless, the new M Series does have a 60" model, and would probably blow those away since it's a FALD screen. I don't own a Vizio, but they're starting to look more appealing. I have the JU7500 curved, and I think it's amazing, but bang for the buck, the Vizio is looking nice.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/m60d1.html
Looks nice but after a quick read, I notice it is a tuner free TV. I currently have an antenna in the attic for locals. I guess I could by a tuner but hate to add more boxes.
mc4saints is online now  
post #4 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
Looks nice but after a quick read, I notice it is a tuner free TV. I currently have an antenna in the attic for locals. I guess I could by a tuner but hate to add more boxes.
Ahh yes then that will definitely be a deterrent. They do make the "E" Series that has the tuner, but then I feel like you're choosing a lesser of a TV. You could always use a network OTA tuner, and stash in the attic, and run a network down to your home network. Then use a Roku (if you have a box for Apps or something) to stream. You may not have a box/require it so just suggesting in case you do have one.
harjms is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 08:40 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seems like an awkward spot for the tv.
doctor_who is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
Seems like an awkward spot for the tv.
I don't disagree but it is the family and entertaining area of home, plus what else are you going to put in that built in? I have another more traditional room that I will be using for the old reliable 67" Samsung LED DLP.
mc4saints is online now  
post #7 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So after reading further it seems the VA panel Samsungs look better straight on but struggle off angle. Is that noticeable? I think the placement we will be sitting normally will be right on, but not the other seating.

The ips panel in the LG supposedly has amazing off angle but sacrifice straight on viewing?

Adding one more TV to this... Best buy exclusive js8000. It is $1600.

I think I am going to go with js8000 or LG uh 8500.

Ips vs VA and is the LG more future proof? Web os 3.0 vs tizen? LG easier to use smart system? LG worth $400 more than Samsung Js8000? What to do?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
mc4saints is online now  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
kleenex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjms View Post
Ahh yes then that will definitely be a deterrent. They do make the "E" Series that has the tuner, but then I feel like you're choosing a lesser of a TV. You could always use a network OTA tuner, and stash in the attic, and run a network down to your home network. Then use a Roku (if you have a box for Apps or something) to stream. You may not have a box/require it so just suggesting in case you do have one.
The 2016 E series in 4K also does not include the tuner. So if you want quality and 4K you have to go and buy a tuner which just sucks.
kleenex is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Looks like a lot of windows and light in there. You need something with anti-glare or a display that can get very bright. Check out the Samsung KS8000 line. Discount clubs will be the KS800. They are only edge-lit but have Ultra Black anti-glare. Also, The new Vizio M and P and full array local dimming and get very bright. If you need a tuner you can by an aftermarket external one for $30.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
sytech is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
Looks like a lot of windows and light in there. You need something with anti-glare or a display that can get very bright. Check out the Samsung KS8000 line. Discount clubs will be the KS800. They are only edge-lit but have Ultra Black anti-glare. Also, The new Vizio M and P and full array local dimming and get very bright. If you need a tuner you can by an aftermarket external one for $30.
Seems KS8000 only comes in 55 or 65. 60 is really what I would like. Max size in the built in.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
mc4saints is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
Seems KS8000 only comes in 55 or 65. 60 is really what I would like. Max size in the built in.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

They should have the 60" model soon.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN60KS8000FXZA
mc4saints likes this.

DON'T ARGUE WITH ME. I AM NEVER WONG.
sytech is online now  
post #12 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
golfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 1,053
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 206
If you decide on an external tuner, this one is small and you can add an external hard drive for DVR functionality. Can't do that with a built in TV tuner.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IYETYX8/...I3A9LNKNAJBG53
golfster is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,054
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1847
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post
I don't disagree but it is the family and entertaining area of home, plus what else are you going to put in that built in? I have another more traditional room that I will be using for the old reliable 67" Samsung LED DLP.

Hi,

Pretty room! Sounds as if you are homing in on a solution, but liking larger screens in a large room, I'm just going to throw this out there. Have you considered mounting a panel that covers the opening rather than fitting inside it? That would give you some options with respect to size, maybe up to 70" or so, and also with respect to angle and tilt. I believe that your viewing experience would be much better, and there should be a way to make it look good.

I am not sure exactly the best way to mount it, but any competent carpenter, and half the DIY folks on the forum, could probably come up with good ways to do it.

Regards,
Mike
mthomas47 is online now  
post #14 of 17 Old 04-23-2016, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

Pretty room! Sounds as if you are homing in on a solution, but liking larger screens in a large room, I'm just going to throw this out there. Have you considered mounting a panel that covers the opening rather than fitting inside it? That would give you some options with respect to size, maybe up to 70" or so, and also with respect to angle and tilt. I believe that your viewing experience would be much better, and there should be a way to make it look good.

I am not sure exactly the best way to mount it, but any competent carpenter, and half the DIY folks on the forum, could probably come up with good ways to do it.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks for the compliment. The Wife and I are excited.

The panel is not a bad idea but if you notice how close the mantel is to the edge of built in, I couldn't go anymore than a 65 without looking odd IMO.

I already plan on putting the 60" on a floating wall mount inside the built in for 2 reasons.

1. Pull it out flush and then be able to tilt it up and down and side to side for best possible viewing angle

2. I can mount it higher in built in to have space to put a true center channel below it.

The room is probably not as big as it looks. 20 x 15. 60" should be fine.
mthomas47 likes this.
mc4saints is online now  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-24-2016, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am probably over thinking which TV to get since I am used to a Samsung 67" led dlp.

Any of my choices should have better blacks and off angle viewing than the 67" right? I am guessing overall brightness and picture as well?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
mc4saints is online now  
post #16 of 17 Old 04-25-2016, 04:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post
The 2016 E series in 4K also does not include the tuner. So if you want quality and 4K you have to go and buy a tuner which just sucks.
Apologies, thanks for clarifying. I must've been looking at a different model or the older model when I was checking specs. Man, Vizio is saving the $12 for a built in tuner....:-\
harjms is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 05-01-2016, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mc4saints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Unless you guys think I should sacrifice size and go down to 55" for Something OLED, Sony 950, or Samsung 9000 or better I think today's sells at Best buy is about to get my money on one of these 2.

Best Buy exclusive Samsung JS8000 for $1500 or LG 60UH8500 at $1800

Cons of LG
IPS panel not as good for straight on viewing. Not quite as bright as Samsung. No HBO Go smart app. $300 more

Cons of Samsung
VA Panel not as good as IPS for off angle viewing.
2015 TV not as future proof with minimal HDR. (LG has HDR 10 and Dolby vision HDR)
Web OS 3.0 better than Samsung Tizen

Help me choose please?



Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
mc4saints is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off