2016 Hisense H8C, H5C, H4C and H3C Entry Level series - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 205Likes

post #61 of 1709 Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
What probe and software were using?
I used Callman but trust me out of the box the over sat is horrible sharpness is not the only issue from the start. Use these settings you'll change your mind especially if you haven't done anything with white balances
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1709 Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapormodel View Post
I used Callman but trust me out of the box the over sat is horrible sharpness is not the only issue from the start. Use these settings you'll change your mind especially if you haven't done anything with white balances
and yes expecting to get a samsung or any other 50inch brand for $499.00 is not going to happen but I've had $2,000 screens that are similar to this after calibration
post #63 of 1709 Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
I have Chromapure and an i1 Pro spectrometer and i3 colorimeter. It is obvious that the greyscale is way out, skin tones are really bad. I don't care at this point unless it does 4K60 444. It could have the best picture quality in the world it would still go back, I need a 4K pc monitor.

Hisense supposedly has a Nvidia GTX 960 to test with. I have my fingers crossed I hate returning stuff.

post #64 of 1709 Old 06-13-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I have Chromapure and an i1 Pro spectrometer and i3 colorimeter. It is obvious that the greyscale is way out, skin tones are really bad. I don't care at this point unless it does 4K60 444. It could have the best picture quality in the world it would still go back, I need a 4K pc monitor.

Hisense supposedly has a Nvidia GTX 960 to test with. I have my fingers crossed I hate returning stuff.
hey gt check out the msi gtx 970 with 2.0 heard good things running this at 4k 60hz. But let us know
post #65 of 1709 Old 06-14-2016, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

To my knowledge, you are the only person in the universe that has "gone up the chain" that high with Hisense on this tv so please keep us updated. Also, if you get a chance, please ask them when/if they plan to update their built in apps to do HDR. Have you done any local dimming tests? Are they lying about it being full array?
post #66 of 1709 Old 06-14-2016, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrustbucket View Post
To my knowledge, you are the only person in the universe that has "gone up the chain" that high with Hisense on this tv so please keep us updated. Also, if you get a chance, please ask them when/if they plan to update their built in apps to do HDR. Have you done any local dimming tests? Are they lying about it being full array?
For a number of reasons I have never concentrated on local dimming. I have owned DLP, Plasma etc. None till recently with dimming schemes.

When I run the rtings test I did not see any weird black dimming behavior. The black areas stay black. There was mild bloom around the objects.
I did see motion issues. The faster the object moved the harder time the display had not blurring the edges of the white object with some color fringing on the object edges. Now to be fair, I have never run this test on any of my displays before.

It is also is a bit problematic for me because I will see some bloom that is not there. As a result of lasik surgery years ago I have a hard time not seeing bloom on any bright light in the dark. So based on that you have to take what I saying with some measure of skepticism. But what is clear to me, if this is edge lit local dimming, it works damn well.

Again, I see no lit areas beyond the moving white object lighting up.

Samsung 78" JS8600, Mits WD-92840 43" Samsung 43ku7000 - Lumagen Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s, Ascend Sierra 2s
58" Panny Plasma -DVDO DUO, Usher S520, JBL HLS-610, Definitive SM45, MusicHall Marimba
post #67 of 1709 Old 06-14-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not heard back from Hisense support/engineering.

Black uniformity seem quite good. I have not looked at it at night. But when I played the dimming and uniformity reviews from rtings I could see all the issues the various displays had but other than a little bloom, it is above my expectations. I am running at 1080P for the moment.

Samsung 78" JS8600, Mits WD-92840 43" Samsung 43ku7000 - Lumagen Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s, Ascend Sierra 2s
58" Panny Plasma -DVDO DUO, Usher S520, JBL HLS-610, Definitive SM45, MusicHall Marimba
post #68 of 1709 Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I have not heard back from Hisense support/engineering.

Black uniformity seem quite good. I have not looked at it at night. But when I played the dimming and uniformity reviews from rtings I could see all the issues the various displays had but other than a little bloom, it is above my expectations. I am running at 1080P for the moment.
Whats up yeah I have watched many shows, movies on this screen and to me the tv has way surpased its price tag of $499 Hell I've watched Blu Rays, CNN, HD cable movies and especially the 4k from netflix, youtube and ultra flix and all the content is superb. I didn't see any light blooming either when running the AVS pattern test "nothing" but overall the blacklevels on ALL the content I've watched is great. I have noticed a few times from shows from cable the compression and pixelation is an issue but I think its because of the cable trying to compress I guess. All 4k content or even HD movies I haven't seen this at all. I think your gonna have issues with the 4.4.4. I have seen allot of people complaining about the same quote from the previous model H7 50inch hopefully not but no matter what graphics card they through at it they couldn't get above 4.2.4 some saying rolling back there driver would allow 4.4.4. which was strange but they said it worked.

Those last settings that I sent couple days ago though I haven't changed since and its great overall cable, blu ray and apps only thing I adjust is my backlight depending on day or night thats it. Thankfully I found good setting bc I was messing with it for hours everyday. How is your's looking
post #69 of 1709 Old 06-14-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I spent a couple of hours with it tonight. (calibrating). The greyscale/gamma was a pain in the arse. I need to work more on the gamma. It of course looks a lot better.

Magenta is slightly over saturated. It will not correct. The other color errors are not worth messing. It can't touch the Samsung JS8600 or my DLP in terms of color after correction, but it doesn't cost very much. I am spoiled by picture quality. The H8C doesn't impress on rendering skin tones. My impression is the upscaling is so-so.

No word from Hisense

post #70 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the 50H8C and last night it installed an update. Did anyone else get this update and notice any changes? It said something about improving TV quality and updating apps and such.
post #71 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevot View Post
I have the 50H8C and last night it installed an update. Did anyone else get this update and notice any changes? It said something about improving TV quality and updating apps and such.
Yeah I had that upgrade G0519 after couple days since I got mine 2 weeks ago now. Not much difference that I saw
post #72 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I spent a couple of hours with it tonight. (calibrating). The greyscale/gamma was a pain in the arse. I need to work more on the gamma. It of course looks a lot better.

Magenta is slightly over saturated. It will not correct. The other color errors are not worth messing. It can't touch the Samsung JS8600 or my DLP in terms of color after correction, but it doesn't cost very much. I am spoiled by picture quality. The H8C doesn't impress on rendering skin tones. My impression is the upscaling is so-so.

No word from Hisense
Yeah I didn't do anything with the Color Tuner only the Flesh Tones category turning down the Saturation to -4 helped allot with skin tones. Only the white balance adjustments of Red Green and Blue these did make a huge improvement from factory settings

You did see my last settings right? Not the first ones last week

Best Settings So Far

Picture Mode:Theater
Brightness 52
Contrast 40
Color 43
Local Dim On
Backlight 40 This was at night Up to You
Tint 0
Sharpness 5
Ultra Smooth Off Noise Off Adaptaptive Con Off
Color Temp Standard
White Balance Offsets R-3 G0 B4 Gain R-2 G0 B5 10 Point Level 10% R0 G2 B6 20% R0 G1 B1 30% R0 G1 B0
40% R0 G0 B2 90% R2 G1 B3 100% R4 G4 B6

Color Tuner
Hue Sat Bright All Zero on all Colors Except for Flesh Tones Saturation -4
post #73 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You did see my last settings right? Not the first ones last week

Best Settings So Far

Picture Mode:Theater
Brightness 52
Contrast 40
Color 43
Local Dim On
Backlight 40 This was at night Up to You
Tint 0
Sharpness 5
Ultra Smooth Off Noise Off Adaptaptive Con Off
Color Temp Standard
White Balance Offsets R-3 G0 B4 Gain R-2 G0 B5 10 Point Level 10% R0 G2 B6 20% R0 G1 B1 30% R0 G1 B0
40% R0 G0 B2 90% R2 G1 B3 100% R4 G4 B6

Color Tuner
Hue Sat Bright All Zero on all Colors Except for Flesh Tones Saturation -4
Using Standard produces a better look than what I had starting with Warm. I like your setting. I like them even better with the low or med contrast enhancer on.
Mine are special problems that come from running this display on a desktop as dual use pc display for both productivity at the same time.

I think Hisense is a very decent budget TV, the picture is ugly as sin out of the box.

Pros:
Deep blacks, well behaved dimming, decent calibration controls. Price, features.

Cons:
Poor upscaling (not sharp), noisy image, magenta push on skin tones - this is a problem for me because CNBC has a magenta and cyan push to begin with.

Viewing angles- 50 inch on a desktop gets some color shift.

Still no 4K60 4:4:4
I believe I am going to try the Samsung 43KU7000. I haven't given up on this one yet. Just need to see what the Samsung offers at $799. Nearly twice the price and a bit smaller than I wanted but 50" may be just to big. I never believed a display could be too big. But 24" H8C.

post #74 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Using Standard produces a better look than what I had starting with Warm. I like your setting. I like them even better with the low or med contrast enhancer on.
Mine are special problems that come from running this display on a desktop as dual use pc display for both productivity at the same time.

I think Hisense is a very decent budget TV, the picture is ugly as sin out of the box.

Pros:
Deep blacks, well behaved dimming, decent calibration controls. Price, features.

Cons:
Poor upscaling (not sharp), noisy image, magenta push on skin tones - this is a problem for me because CNBC has a magenta and cyan push to begin with.

Viewing angles- 50 inch on a desktop gets some color shift.

Still no 4K60 4:4:4
I believe I am going to try the Samsung 43KU7000. I haven't given up on this one yet. Just need to see what the Samsung offers at $799. Nearly twice the price and a bit smaller than I wanted but 50" may be just to big. I never believed a display could be too big. But 24" H8C.
good to hear brother yeah I don't watch anything butt cnn new wise. And dont notice magenta issues but I gotcha. And pc wise don't use for such so no big deal to me. good luck brother any updates let us know
post #75 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I picked up the 43UK7000. HDMI 1 supports what Samsung Calls UHD Color which is 4K60 444. It just works. Although the Sammy is a smaller display the base has a bigger footprint than the 50H8C. The Samsung base is a wobbly affair. The remote sucks..

Once you enable HDMI UHD mode you can select 4K60 444. In a number of ways the Samsung looks better in theater mode than Hisense calibrated. Part of that is the big display at the close distance which exacerbates the VA panel viewing angles issue. I have looked at blacks and diming yet.

I am not 100 sure but I think I will end up keeping the Sammy even it is nearly twice the price.

post #76 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The local dimming on the Hisense 50H8C is excellent and clearly better than the obviously edge lit Samsung. But the Samsung has much less blurring in fast motion, better scaling and proper support for 4K 60 444. Both sets claim HDR capability. My use case is best handled by the Samsung though I don't like paying $799 for a 43 inch TV in 2016 especially for pc monitor duty.

Vapormodel's setting are a big improvement over the out of box settings on the Hisense and highly recommended.

One can probably expect future improvement to both displays through firmware over time. The H8C is amazing for $499. The Big Three makers don't have just Vizio to fear. On a bang for the buck the future is bright for AVR enthusiasts
post #77 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
The local dimming on the Hisense 50H8C is excellent and clearly better than the obviously edge lit Samsung. But the Samsung has much less blurring in fast motion, better scaling and proper support for 4K 60 444. Both sets claim HDR capability. My use case is best handled by the Samsung though I don't like paying $799 for a 43 inch TV in 2016 especially for pc monitor duty.

Vapormodel's setting are a big improvement over the out of box settings on the Hisense and highly recommended.

One can probably expect future improvement to both displays through firmware over time. The H8C is amazing for $499. The Big Three makers don't have just Vizio to fear. On a bang for the buck the future is bright for AVR enthusiasts
Thanks man, yeah I've been a little upset with some of the motion blurring and or pixelation in darker areas but this seems only on certain broadcast not seeing this during playback of 4k content nor allot of current movies even older stuff. Was just watching some american ninja warrior and in the dark sky areas above the competitors I do see some pixelation glitching it did help turning down the backlight to around 35 and setting dynam cont to medium leaving local dim on. but will need to adjust in the daytime of course to compensate. It just darkened those areas and seem to take away allot of the blooming and pixel issues. Still this depends on show and what it was filmed on and how its compressed I'm guessing.
post #78 of 1709 Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hisense H8 fails direct channel access, just like the H7

I'm deciding between the 55" Samsung HS8000 ($1,500 for three more days) and the 50" Hisense H8 ($500). This for a room we are rarely in. The other two rooms have Samsung HU8550 and we are happy with the HU8550s. All sets use only OTA.

In the store, the Hisense H8 was very impressive. Whites were white, colors excellent, but there was some motion blurring compared to the Sammy.

I did not choose the Samsung HS8000 because:

a) the price to value ratio was higher
b) the panel was much more reflective than Hisense. Way too reflective.
c) Samsung had some picture degradation at 140-170 degree angles whereas the Hisense did not.

However, the Hisense motion blurring and direct channel access is annoying. This H8 has the same problem as the H7 from Costco - - - it rarely goes to the channel one directly accesses for OTA. If one wants 44.1, one has to enter 44-1. On the Samsung, simply entering 44 goes to 44.1 . Almost always direct access failed and the set went back to the original channel.

Will set up this H8 set at home, do channel scan, check skip and favorites, and then call Hisense if it fails direct access. Costco and Hisense insist the H7 should have direct access, but both models do not. Important to note that in the store the Hisense H8 was next to a Sharp, and both sets ignored direct channel access most of the time.

Yes, the Samsung is a bit sharper with less motion blur, but the Hisense will have an extra three years of warranty and is one-third the price.

Anyone else have a Hisense on OTA and having direct channel access issues?
Ward216 likes this.

Last edited by PeninsulaMark; 06-15-2016 at 10:24 PM.
post #79 of 1709 Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeninsulaMark View Post
I'm deciding between the 55" Samsung HS8000 ($1,500 for three more days) and the 50" Hisense H8 ($500). This for a room we are rarely in. The other two rooms have Samsung HU8550 and we are happy with the HU8550s. All sets use only OTA.

In the store, the Hisense H8 was very impressive. Whites were white, colors excellent, but there was some motion blurring compared to the Sammy.

I did not choose the Samsung HS8000 because:

a) the price to value ratio was higher
b) the panel was much more reflective than Hisense. Way too reflective.
c) Samsung had some picture degradation at 140-170 degree angles whereas the Hisense did not.

However, the Hisense motion blurring and direct channel access is annoying. This H8 has the same problem as the H7 from Costco - - - it rarely goes to the channel one directly accesses for OTA. If one wants 44.1, one has to enter 44-1. On the Samsung, simply entering 44 goes to 44.1 . Almost always direct access failed and the set went back to the original channel.

Will set up this H8 set at home, do channel scan, check skip and favorites, and then call Hisense if it fails direct access. Costco and Hisense insist the H7 should have direct access, but both models do not. Important to note that in the store the Hisense H8 was next to a Sharp, and both sets ignored direct channel access most of the time.

Yes, the Samsung is a bit sharper with less motion blur, but the Hisense will have an extra three years of warranty and is one-third the price.

Anyone else have a Hisense on OTA and having direct channel access issues?
Well if its a third room tv its a steal. I wouldn't steer you wrong once its up and running and calibrated. Never choose a tv from the in store calibrations its way over saturated and punchy and everything is set to 100. But at the time there isn't allot of real reviews on the H8 so I guess seeing it in store is all most of us have to go by. But overall once its settup and calib its a great tv even comparing to other more expensive brands within means of course. Hisense bought Sharp sure you'll be seeing allot of similarities now and in the next year or so. Direct Channel Access I can't speak to since I've always had Cable.
post #80 of 1709 Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Thanks man, yeah I've been a little upset with some of the motion blurring and or pixelation in darker areas but this seems only on certain broadcast not seeing this during playback of 4k content nor allot of current movies even older stuff. Was just watching some american ninja warrior and in the dark sky areas above the competitors I do see some pixelation glitching it did help turning down the backlight to around 35 and setting dynam cont to medium leaving local dim on. but will need to adjust in the daytime of course to compensate. It just darkened those areas and seem to take away allot of the blooming and pixel issues. Still this depends on show and what it was filmed on and how its compressed I'm guessing.
I have read several post on the H8 and outside 4K60 444 support being an issue the other has been motion blur. Has your experience been standard motion blur or is overdrive trailing or smearing in dark areas of the picture during panning shots. I am looking at the H8 currently as a low cost entry into the HDR market for my Xbox 1s. Any information would be appreciated.
post #81 of 1709 Old 06-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I have read several post on the H8 and outside 4K60 444 support being an issue the other has been motion blur. Has your experience been standard motion blur or is overdrive trailing or smearing in dark areas of the picture during panning shots. I am looking at the H8 currently as a low cost entry into the HDR market for my Xbox 1s. Any information would be appreciated.
Hey guy I don't have experience with any PC using 4.4.4. which looks like so far it will not do but will do 4.2.4 from what I've been reading. Currently not using it for my PS4 XBox or over the Air Tuners. I mainly am using my set for 4k content and HD cable from xfinity comcast from netlfix IE marco polo which is fantastic no blurring artifacts nothing. (hence marco polo doesn't state HDR but 4k UHD 5.1) I have seen the HDR version of Marco Polo and comparibly I didn't see a big difference from contrast and colors anyway. Wife and I just watched first 3 episodes last night and the colors and shadows were great. This of course is after calibration. Youtube Videos are also really great on this tv. I have watched many movies on my cable box from Starz and HBO like Mad Max, Lucy and some others which have all been fantastic quality no blurring no blooming of colors nothing. You will come across some movie such as Interview with a Vampire that does look a little grey in dark areas and not rich blacks and was concerned with some blooming but after wondering this I researched Blu Ray.com reviews about this film. They say the movie itself was filmed this way on purpose with allot greys and browns in the background so this is not the TV itself. They were testing on a high end tv. Of course some channels are going to have there downfalls depending how the commercial or show was shot meaning type of camera, compression. But after my latest calibration its great. I did find turning down the backlight to around 35-40 and adaptive contrast to medium really helped allot as well. depending on what you like and room ambience

Last edited by vapormodel; 06-17-2016 at 10:09 AM.
post #82 of 1709 Old 06-17-2016, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the best review I could find on the 50H8C. It answers some of the questions I've seen in this thread.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-series-review
post #83 of 1709 Old 06-17-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan View Post
Here's the best review I could find on the 50H8C. It answers some of the questions I've seen in this thread.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-series-review
Seems like they like the tv quite a bit but ended up only giving it a 7.3. The competition to this, like the TCL UP130 they tested, got an 8.0. Don't believe that does HDR at all though. Kind of weird.
post #84 of 1709 Old 06-17-2016, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would have kept the Hisense if not for the lack of 4K60 444. I was using is as a PC display to replace an older Panasonic 37" IPS TV. When you get to 50" on a desktop and sit 24" away you really need IPS. A good VA panel at 43" works but you are still aware of viewing angles.

I liked the compact footprint of the Highsense compared the much bigger footprint of the KU7000 which allowed the Highsense to sit farther back on the desktop.

I will be very interested to see what Hisense will do in the future. I expect 2017 models to be much improved and competitive to the big the brands.

post #85 of 1709 Old 06-17-2016, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100 View Post
Seems like they like the tv quite a bit but ended up only giving it a 7.3. The competition to this, like the TCL UP130 they tested, got an 8.0. Don't believe that does HDR at all though. Kind of weird.

Well the TCL TV is Roku based. That may be some reason to the higher score for the TCL TV.
post #86 of 1709 Old 06-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Question Where to find 55" Hisense 8 4k sets ?

Heard these 55" H8 sets are in Walmart, but walmart.com does not list them. Anyone know where to purchase one?
post #87 of 1709 Old 06-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Heard these 55" H8 sets are in Walmart, but walmart.com does not list them. Anyone know where to purchase one?

No replies? No one here knows?
post #88 of 1709 Old 06-19-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
No replies? No one here knows?
no bro don't know about the 55 most of this talk was about the 50 maybe best buy or call hisense usa and ask them
post #89 of 1709 Old 06-20-2016, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
They had the H7 from last year and I've seen this years H5 at walmart. No H8 that I've seen.
I would expect H7 at best.
post #90 of 1709 Old 06-20-2016, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-55H8C.../dp/B01E6PGT90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page