AVS Forum banner

RUMOR: New Sony announcement in mid to late July

115K views 1K replies 147 participants last post by  boe 
#1 · (Edited)
RUMOR: New Sony 100" announcement in mid to late July

I was at a magnolia today and talked to a Sony rep (he was the only one with HDR content. He had it on a USB stick).

He was saying mid to late July Sony has a special announcment for a new FALD set that is 65" and potentially has near 1000 zones and goes up to 4000 nits. I think it's that master backlight...

Anyone else hear of anything?

#4 ·
Hope so but doubtful, middle of year changes for Sony are very odd.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
if it were a magnolia or best buy guy, I wouldn't even bring it up. But this guy was from Sony and goes from store to store educating guys on tech. He could recite stat for stat DCI-P3 coverage, peak brightness for Sony sets and others... He seemed to know his stuff. So I give him the benefit of the doubt.

But he said, 65" 75" and 100" and speculated the master backlight.

#6 ·
Yes understood, I to have been fed BS from Sony reps...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I was at a magnolia today and talked to a Sony rep (he was the only one with HDR content. He had it on a USB stick).

He was saying mid to late July Sony has a special announcment for a new FALD set that is 65" and potentially has near 1000 zones and goes up to 4000 nits. I think it's that master backlight...

I live in Los Angeles and my Magnolia sales-guy told me about a month ago that Sony will be releasing a true replacement set for the x950b this fall so that seems to be in line with what you heard. So, I am inclined to believe this is going to happen.

#9 ·
Odd to do a new product announcement this late in the year, but the timing would work for a holiday sales release.

Supposedly the backlight master drive prototype at CES had some heavy duty power supply and cooling requirements though, getting that scaled down to a consumer-level product that quickly seems unlikely.

Reactions: tjcinnamon
#10 ·
I haven't seen a product release without been first at CES.

The TV was a prototype at CES, it wasn't even a product.

maybe CES 2017.

#25 · (Edited)
I haven't seen a product release without been first at CES.
The TV was a prototype at CES, it wasn't even a product.
maybe CES 2017.
Just because a certain model tv (product) isn't shown at CES, doesn't mean it will not come out later in the same year.
Example is Samsung. At 2016 CES, their top tv shown was the KS9500. Later in the year 2 new higher end models are shown on their website for sale. KS9800 and KS9810

So, don't count Sony out as not bringing to market later this year a model not shown at CES 2016.
I'm still hoping for a Flagship 85" FALD.

Reactions: tjcinnamon
#12 ·
seems like there are a number of people saying it...

I will likely have a TV by then but we'll see. the 1000 zone FALD and 4000 nit talk had my ear.

#16 · (Edited)
I am in the market for a 75-80" TV but don't think I will wait on a new Sony intro this year for a couple of reasons. More than likely it is rumor and will be out much later than expected, CES is where vendors show off their new upcoming stuff.

Second, if it does come out, it is likely to be very expensive and will not be discounted for some time.

Third, what content are you going to watch on it? Not much interesting and available to leverage the technology. I want an upgraded TV for football season starting in a few months but broadcasts are still not UHD.

#24 ·

where are you located? just curious if we have the same rep

#29 ·
Are you sure your rep isn't a politician? Lol
What he said is so vague.

What tv to what name?
May or may not be released in July.
Cannot say if you've heard of rumors.
Untill it's something it's nothing.

#31 ·
At some point having more backlights will yield diminishing returns. I'm not sure what the number is, but 1000 seems to be pushing the limit. I rarely see clouding on my 940c and I can even see clouding on OLEDs at Best Buy. You have to look closely, but there's some light bleed between pixels that is evident with bright white next to perfect black.

#33 · (Edited)
Ever watched HDR content on your set? Then you will see clouding.

I currently have a 940c but it was a demo. I'm returning it tomorrow for this very reason, and because the 3D doesn't compare to a passive set. Not even really usable.

If a new set is being released, I'd gladly pony up more dough for no clouding/blooming on HDR, and passive 3D at a decent screen size.

Reactions: Tariq T
#52 · (Edited)
The more zones the better, is physics ,many specular highlights are smaller than the zones and when that small highlights have to be very bright ,what you get is blooming. If they want to increase the peak nits they will be force to increse the zones.

just imagine an small highlight on a large zone at 4,000 nits.

Maybe they release a display with 1,000 zones but with a little over 1,000 nits , not 4,000 nits like the prototype.

#53 ·
not true the x940c had a better picture deeper blacks and better control than the js9500 and the sony had half the zones... better controllers mean alot more.. whats the point of all this power if you dont know wha tto do with it! Also maybe 1500-1800 nits isnt out of reach. the x940c i think maxxed out at 1300?

honestly if they put over 200 zones on a 65 with the kinda control they ahve... and apparently this has a even better controller. im sure itd be an amazing tv! im really hoping this is something this year as a 65 FALD sony would be ideal for me

#56 · (Edited)
Newest rumor I heard, Sony to come out with a 88" 940D, Sept or Oct later this year.
Magnolia sales person, from his Sony rep.

Larger 940D more likely to come to market this year, then a new line, ZD9 this year.

#73 ·
A new flagship coming out mid-year from Sony is definitely not impossible, as they used to "save" their XBR models for fall release/announcement like the HX950, HX929, etc. This is before Sony slapped the "XBR" label on just anything. According to my sources, which have proven fairly reliable in the past, the information in this thread is correct. The ZD9 is a real TV (the model number is either correct or close) and is supposed to come out some time later this year. My source claimed sizes should include a 65", 85", and 100"+ model. They didn't have any information on hard specs like zone count or peak brightness capability.

Reactions: jjackkrash
#74 · (Edited)
The 65 and 85" Z sized models makes sense due to Sony having themselves a nice little niche with the 75" 740D which are difficult to purchase overseas. In the UK they sell like hotcakes and often times are sold before they even get to the retailer ! :) In regards to talk about Samsung, Amazon has the UN88KS9810 listed. For me the sticker price is ridiculous and even more ridiculous is that they all come with defects : bent (curved) ! :rolleyes:

#75 ·
if an 85" Z9 transpires, i'd love for it to street ~$15K before pulling the trigger.

however, if it's truly a 1,000+ zone monster which can deliver plasma-like viewing angles and extremely limited blooming, then the budget would have to be increased.

not getting my hopes up though because this would be a true reference set and Sony knows that LG is asking $25K for just a 77" OLED.

Reactions: Simon R.
#76 ·
if an 85" Z9 transpires, i'd love for it to street ~$15K before pulling the trigger.

however, if it's truly a 1,000+ zone monster which can deliver plasma-like viewing angles and extremely limited blooming, then the budget would have to be increased.

not getting my hopes up though because this would be a true reference set and Sony knows that LG is asking $25K for just a 77" OLED.

That would be an incredible LCD but I am scratching my head in regards to the prices that Sony will be looking for as with the Samsung 88" 9810 ? Why not just go with the 77" OLED ? Granted the 65" Z will have a cheaper price sticker but probably comparable in price to the current 75" 940D or close to the top of the line 65" OLED. Don't yah just love Technology ? It's gotten to the point that when a new product finally does come to market ... it's already obsolete and something new and improved is getting ready to come around the corner ! :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.