Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread - Page 123 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1488Likes

post #3661 of 4286 Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Wow. I find the juxtaposition of this part of the post (which used the word "calibration" in the title), and clearly cares so much about the details of picture quality...

...with this part of the post - quite surprising . I didn't see that ending coming!

You are 100 percent correct Sir...after watching/testing last night, I won't want to stretch my 2.35 image and lose the cinematic feel...
mrtickleuk likes this.

Anthem mrx-1120, Anthem MCA-30, Panasonic ub900, jvc x950, 120" 2.35 screen, Goldenear T5's, Goldenear T7's, Goldenear xxl Center, Goldenear FF5 subs (2), atmos 5.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 4286 Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
You are 100 percent correct Sir...after watching/testing last night, I won't want to stretch my 2.35 image and lose the cinematic feel...
Excellent. Welcome to the enlightened side

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #3663 of 4286 Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Excellent. Welcome to the enlightened side
Trust me, I've been enlightened for many years...I also run a JVC RS600 4k eshift HDR projector with a 120" 2.35 scope screen...just trying to decide what setup to keep...tv or projector...

Anthem mrx-1120, Anthem MCA-30, Panasonic ub900, jvc x950, 120" 2.35 screen, Goldenear T5's, Goldenear T7's, Goldenear xxl Center, Goldenear FF5 subs (2), atmos 5.2.4

post #3664 of 4286 Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Flash lighting

Hi folks...any tricks or tips to minimizing flash Lighting on 78" 9800 or just put up with it? I'm still within my 30 day return window...Also what are most folks setting backlight to for hdr content? Thanks...

post #3665 of 4286 Old 07-18-2017, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Hi folks...any tricks or tips to minimizing flash Lighting on 78" 9800 or just put up with it? I'm still within my 30 day return window...Also what are most folks setting backlight to for hdr content? Thanks...
Irrespective of what most folks are setting their back light for HDR, the correct value would be 20 (max).

I wouldn't know about flash lighting, because I do not have that issue with my unit. However, I seem to recall others on the forum posting that lower back light settings can minimize that issue.
jeep05, asharma and b0rnarian like this.

"The law come to get you if you don't walk right"
Tennessee Jed
Lyrics: Robert Hunter
Music: Jerry Garcia
post #3666 of 4286 Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked: 9142
Quote:
what settings are you using? Keeping smart LED at high will make it worse, lowering it to LOW can help out a great deal.
jeep05 likes this.
post #3667 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
what settings are you using? Keeping smart LED at high will make it worse, lowering it to LOW can help out a great deal.
Thanks, I have smart led set to high...I will set it to low and see if it makes a difference...any other settings I should be concerned about or that can help black levels?

Edit: I have my backlight set to 15...should I keep it at 20?

post #3668 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Interesting, even though I compare to an OLED, my main concern with the KS9800 has mainly been DSE/Uniformity and that the picture quality doesn't have the same "depth". But I am surprisingly happy with black levels etc (unless you start viewing from bad angles etc).
post #3669 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post
Interesting, even though I compare to an OLED, my main concern with the KS9800 has mainly been DSE/Uniformity and that the picture quality doesn't have the same "depth". But I am surprisingly happy with black levels etc (unless you start viewing from bad angles etc).
After 2 nights of ownership, I "think" I'm happy with black levels...I asked the question about any other settings as there didn't seem to be many settings for blacks that I noticed...I have not tested dse yet as I normally test it with a hockey game...

post #3670 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post
After 2 nights of ownership, I "think" I'm happy with black levels...I asked the question about any other settings as there didn't seem to be many settings for blacks that I noticed...I have not tested dse yet as I normally test it with a hockey game...
My 2 cents on Flashlights: I have always hated altering the standard settings to enjoy my set. And flashlights are very annoying but putting LED to low destroys the specular highlights on HDR content, just takes the life out of em. And the whites gets clipped as well. My solution is to keep all settings to Auto, enjoy the prestine pq like ur meant to and for getting rid of the flashlights, simply invest 10 bucks to buy a remote controlled bias light. Youll forget you ever had flashlights among many other benefits.
post #3671 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post
My 2 cents on Flashlights: I have always hated altering the standard settings to enjoy my set. And flashlights are very annoying but putting LED to low destroys the specular highlights on HDR content, just takes the life out of em. And the whites gets clipped as well. My solution is to keep all settings to Auto, enjoy the prestine pq like ur meant to and for getting rid of the flashlights, simply invest 10 bucks to buy a remote controlled bias light. Youll forget you ever had flashlights among many other benefits.

I agree. Putting smart led to "low" for HDR? Nooooooooooooooo
b0rnarian likes this.
post #3672 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, ok, good to know, specifically what settings should be set to auto? What does a bias light do? Does it wrap around the set to "distract the eye"?

post #3673 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, ok, good to know, specifically what settings should be set to auto? What does a bias light do? Does it wrap around the set to "distract the eye"?
Check out Sheldons settings from post 1, the top basic settings such as BL, contrast, color etc, can be copied or played with to your liking but they are pretty accurate. Everything else below, the deeper settings such as color space, white balance should be all left to auto. Those advanced settings are for his set alone and would do more harm than good on your set.

Bias light is wraped around behind your set, only the back portion on mine as its not that long but emits more than enough light on 50% to be beneficial. It hides the flashlights completely, helps with strain on ur eyes, gives impressions of better contrast n blacks and you can easily control it with a remote all for 10 dollars.
jeep05, asharma and King Richard like this.
post #3674 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks, I have smart led set to high...I will set it to low and see if it makes a difference...any other settings I should be concerned about or that can help black levels?

Edit: I have my backlight set to 15...should I keep it at 20?
U can put the backlight anywhere you want, it's your preference. But for SDR material, smart led should always be low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
I agree. Putting smart led to "low" for HDR? Nooooooooooooooo

I thought the same thing at 1st too. But to compensate, I bump up the contrast and saturation on my oppo 203. Specular highlights are actually brighter my way than using smart led high and keeping the contrast at 0 on the oppo. Also, I don't get the picture glow that smart led high causes. There's a "glow" with basically all colors even bright scenes with smart led high. Once you see it, it's hard to unsee it.

I'm hoping that next year's Tvs using Quantum Dot Color Filters can fix a lot of these issues with having bleed and brightness at the same time.
jeep05, asharma and b0rnarian like this.
post #3675 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
HDR1O+ TITLES ON AMAZON:

I was told today that they expect to have the dynamic HDR10 content go live by the end of August. Samsung plans to update the firmware on the JS series to enable compatibility with these streams, but there's no time frame for this to happen.
do you mean KS series? JS would have been 2015, right?
post #3676 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1432 Post(s)
Liked: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvwatcher12345 View Post
do you mean KS series? JS would have been 2015, right?
They are working to bring HDR10+ compatibility to the 2015 JS Series as well. The 2016 TVs with the latest firmware are compatible now. My post was just an FYI to KS owners who also have secondary sets from the JS line.

"I am not IN the business...I AM the business."
post #3677 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
U can put the backlight anywhere you want, it's your preference. But for SDR material, smart led should always be low.

I thought the same thing at 1st too. But to compensate, I bump up the contrast and saturation on my oppo 203. Specular highlights are actually brighter my way than using smart led high and keeping the contrast at 0 on the oppo. Also, I don't get the picture glow that smart led high causes. There's a "glow" with basically all colors even bright scenes with smart led high. Once you see it, it's hard to unsee it.

I'm hoping that next year's Tvs using Quantum Dot Color Filters can fix a lot of these issues with having bleed and brightness at the same time.
Ray, not sure if you are saying this is a good thing or bad, but I prefer the brighter (glow) specular highlights which you loose with Smart LED to low. With it low, you get a dimmer screen, which you can match by turning DC to Medium but thats for the entire screen. You loose the glow in the highlights that comes with the LED to HIGH, which I really like. Examples of this can be seen through movies like Passengers, John Wick 2 with awesome HDR or simply the first 60 seconds of LUCY, as the credits on that movie are specular highlights and glow bright and beautiful unlike on Low LED. You might have figured out another way to achieve this with Oppo's settings, which is great as we need more options to combat this issue. PS: all this is referring to HDR, not SDR content, that should always be on low.
asharma and King Richard like this.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #3678 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonT View Post
I'm more concerned with how the picture looks than whether the TV is flat or curved. When I am watching the TV, I don't even notice that it's curved. I've watched my 78HU9000 for two years and love it. Just moved it to a room off the kitchen where I had a 10 year old Samsung 71" DLP which served me well but was getting old. The picture should be the number one reason for buying a TV. But that's just my opinion.
I completely agree with HDR content Smart LED is always set to HIGH on mine, it looks great and not oversaturated at all.
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by jabolino; 07-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.
post #3679 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Ray, not sure if you are saying this is a good thing or bad, but I prefer the brighter (glow) specular highlights which you loose with Smart LED to low. With it low, you get a dimmer screen, which you can match by turning DC to Medium but thats for the entire screen. You loose the glow in the highlights that comes with the LED to HIGH, which I really like. Examples of this can be seen through movies like Passengers, John Wick 2 with awesome HDR or simply the first 60 seconds of LUCY, as the credits on that movie are specular highlights and glow bright and beautiful unlike on Low LED. You might have figured out another way to achieve this with Oppo's settings, which is great as we need more options to combat this issue. PS: all this is referring to HDR, not SDR content, that should always be on low.
Smart LED low for HDR is too flat looking for me and almost makes it look like SDR. You can definitely tell it lowers the overall contrast level. For me I'm increasing player contrast with SL High. Can it bloom more and into the black bars? Yes... But I'm addicted to bright highlights so I don't mind

One thing I'm not using anymore on HDR is DC. It messes up the contrast of certain scenes, like ones that are mostly mid tones. So I stick to player contrast adjustments, and white/black gamma.
b0rnarian and King Richard like this.
post #3680 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
Based on what I read, the hullabaloo over black level performance of the KS9800 vs any OLED continues. Unfortunate that there are those who choose to look at things for what they aren't, instead of what they are.

From the manufacturer, Samsung:
http://www.samsung.com/us/experience/suhd-tv/

"Precision Black and Precession Black Pro technologies in Samsung 4K SUHD TVs produce darker, richer blacks while bright areas of the screen remain immensely vibrant - creating greater contrast and revealing every subtle detail in a whole new way."

And by the way, KS9800 uses the "pro" version of that technology. And while I cannot readily find a write-up as to the difference between precision black and precision black pro, I'll take an educated guess and conclude the pro version is better or preferred.

I gather there are those who either disagree with Samsung's claim of that technologies capabilities or are disappointed with the result you are getting. To bad, because the KS9800 black level performance easily compares to an OLED.
really...lol
But ..do you need to include the disclaimer about ANY and ALL comparisons need to be made with viewing the panel at a dead center position..?

Honestly
At this state in the game...any and all reviews of LCD televisions need to have specs for black levels, color and brightness in a range of at least 50 degrees from viewing at the dead center of the panel

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 Vizio P50 Denon X4300 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 55KS8000 Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Vizio P50 Pioneer SC95 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #3681 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Oh why, Oh why did Samsung not release a FALD TV for 2017
LOL... true

Even then the market embraced the 8000/8500 and left the ks9800 sitting on shelves

Perhaps that is why they discontinued a FALD

Though Sony seems to be doing well with it as does Vizio

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 65KS9800 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
post #3682 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. but my custom settings on the oppo fixes that issue and I compared (as I said above) and the spectral highlights are brighter with my combination than with smart led on HIGH and neutral settings on the oppo.

the glow I was referring to was not with highlights, but the entire screen. the glow is even on day scenes going through colors and bleeding all over the place. its hard to explain. I'm not sure if color bleed is the correct term.
b0rnarian likes this.
post #3683 of 4286 Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Quote:
What does a bias light do? Does it wrap around the set to "distract the eye"?

I highly recommend the use of "Bias Lighting" - especially when viewing in a dark or dimly-lit room.

"Bias Lights" help in reducing 'eyestrain' and 'eye fatigue'. As an additional benefit, they also increase the "perceived" contrast of the display, enhancing the TV's black levels, and help mitigate 'blooming' and 'clouding' issues.

For more on "Bias Lights", see What Bias Lighting Is and Why You Should Be Using It.

For my "Bias Lights" recommendation see: www.biaslighting.com
(You can also check out >this post< and >this one<)

Richard
Rudy1, asharma, b0rnarian and 2 others like this.
post #3684 of 4286 Old 07-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
really...lol
But ..do you need to include the disclaimer about ANY and ALL comparisons need to be made with viewing the panel at a dead center position..?

Honestly
At this state in the game...any and all reviews of LCD televisions need to have specs for black levels, color and brightness in a range of at least 50 degrees from viewing at the dead center of the panel

Warren
Hi Warren. Your point about viewing angle is well taken. In my particular case I have a dedicated primary viewing position which is dead center, so it's a non issue (again, in my case). That said, I have intentionally viewed various content on off angles, and even then I find "black" to be very good. In all cases, there is nothing I see (no pun intended) or don't see about the overall performance of black level that makes me desire or otherwise long for the touted OLED.

Tennessee Jed
post #3685 of 4286 Old 07-20-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richard View Post
I highly recommend the use of "Bias Lighting" - especially when viewing in a dark or dimly-lit room......
For my "Bias Lights" recommendation see: www.biaslighting.com
I second the MediaLight recommendation. I have it

I might add that the customer service (if needed) provided by Jason is outstanding. And, as I've mentioned that I've had my unit calibrated by Kevin Miller, he states (paraphrasing) "anything where Joe Kane is involved is what you would want".
King Richard likes this.

Tennessee Jed
post #3686 of 4286 Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
They are working to bring HDR10+ compatibility to the 2015 JS Series as well. The 2016 TVs with the latest firmware are compatible now. My post was just an FYI to KS owners who also have secondary sets from the JS line.
thanks for clarifying! although this does make me wonder if i should have gone with a JS9500 since I was a 3D junkie before I got my KS9810 :-/
King Richard likes this.
post #3687 of 4286 Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
Hi Warren. Your point about viewing angle is well taken. In my particular case I have a dedicated primary viewing position which is dead center, so it's a non issue (again, in my case). That said, I have intentionally viewed various content on off angles, and even then I find "black" to be very good. In all cases, there is nothing I see (no pun intended) or don't see about the overall performance of black level that makes me desire or otherwise long for the touted OLED.
The I guess we can say you are one of the lucky few....

1. Can isolate your viewing to dead center of the screen
2. Have no desire for the "touted" OLED and all that it offers

Warren

post #3688 of 4286 Old 07-21-2017, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just got update 1201, not sure what's new !?
post #3689 of 4286 Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayto View Post
You're only the second person to post about it, so YOU tell US! Try a few things. Try seeing if there are separate SDR/HDR profiles in Game mode first. Also, which country do you live in?
b0rnarian likes this.

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #3690 of 4286 Old 07-21-2017, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayto View Post
Pls check if HDR is back on with Cal Night/Day mode or not... with such a big number, im guessing this is the HDR10+ Update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page