Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1502Likes

post #4171 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineproduct View Post
Not sure if the Nvidia Shield supports HLG, but I am pretty sure the Oppo does. So that would be a good test (though the Oppo may have to be plugged in directly into the TV.)

You can download the HLG videos from here:

LG Jazz HLG: http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/

TravelXP HLG: http://4kmedia.org/travelxp-4k-hdr-hlg-sample/
Will try both ways with the Oppo.
Lineproduct likes this.

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks, I do have a 65 inch ks9800 U.S. edition made in Mexico, haven't been able to find the info on when it was manufactured etc. Performed all updates set to manual updates as well. Television was purchased on Amazon via vanns. Got lucky pilot delivery went very well no damage. First thing I did was turn off eco sensor and amp settings. Using HDR plus on direct tv looks great one some channels, seeing that banding issue another mentioned on some programming, but on the movie channels the up conversion works really well. I honestly don't see much Flash lighting and for the most part my t.v. gets very dark. I notice some picture fade on the right half of the screen near the edge extending upwards about half of the screen while watching non hd shows on direct tv when there's black bars. One thing for the life of me I can't seem to figure out is sports the motion is pretty bad and I have amp off. I'm noticing almost like a micro stutter and then the weird glitchy movements when people run or move their arms like it's 56k internet so I'll need help figuring out some blur judder settings that have minimal soap opera effect. ultimately I'm mixed on the t.v. but given that I paid around 1600 or so for it I know I couldn't have gotten a better set for that price and I'm a Samsung lover admittedly. Hopefully with you guys help I can get these things lockedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa765 View Post
Got my t.v. today have screwed with settings all day, my own not the ones listed here I've read up to page 243 on this thread and to be honest I'm a little pissed about this tv. Severe motion issues that I haven't figured out but a lot of jumping and problems. Fired up my Xbox and feel like my input is lagging to the point I don't even want to play, would rather play on my cheapo insignia tv. HDR was beautiful. Direct tv is all over the place but the grain and pixelation I couldn't figure out how to reduce it and it's relative to motion again. Ultimately it could be user error or coiuld be the tv. Flash lighting seen it some but wasn't horrible either mostly white on black text. Also have an issue where I connect my 2.1 blue tooth speaker connects plays audio for 3 secs and goes mute. haven't mounted the t.v. yet feeling like I should just send it back unless someone can tell me what to look for decent wise. Tv is updated, can't tell the build number because they put a dumb sticker on the box I tried to peal it off and it peeled that info off. Also updated firmware. Someone rescue me from the ledge, I was excited as hell for this tv now I'm angry. Could only imagine what those who paid full price feel.
You've got a lot of issues

Seriously though, I could offer some suggestions. My assumption is that you have a UN65KS9800 and that operates identical to larger KS9800s.

First, regarding the motion issue, set Auto Motion Plus to "off".

Secondly, the sticker on the box or lack thereof has nothing to do with the firmware version. Go to the Settings and then I believe (typing off top of my head) > Support. There is an option to update the firmware/software manually despite it may be set to Auto. Do the manual update (if any is available), Then there is a different settings option also in support that will display your current version of firmware. I believe that even the serial number from which you can derive the year and month of manufacture is in settings, not that it really matters though.

Assuming your unit is not defective, tweaking basic settings will help and a calibration will really help. That said, turn your Sharpness to zero (0).

My aforementioned recommendations for AMP and Sharpness is irrespective of the "mode" you ultimately use/prefer.

Best of luck
post #4173 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Definitely first thing I did was go to game mode, because I heard that it produced 18 to 20 ms of input lag. I am in game mode but what I noticed while playing NBA 2k18 in game mode which doesn't allow you to really do many of the settings that plague input lag is that when I do the dribble functions tested in practice mode some times I don't get any response from my player when on my 60hz insignia 40 inch tv I did. Also with the constant up and down pace I noticed a lag or stutter in frame rate processing I never got while playing on the other tv. The ks9800 recognizes the input as an Xbox and is in game mode. The only things I changed were dynamic settings turned the HDMI color on as instructed. Switched my Xbox one s to 10 bit processing and I don't like sharpness at 0 the picture is too soft which is something else I noticed while playing on the ks9800 when I first got it seems like a lack of sharpness on my Xbox. Just weird if anyone has any suggestions or settings that would help or insight on motion issues would help. I actually do like the tv but the problems I'm having are on the content I use and watch most my Xbox one s and sports on direct tv. When functioning right the picture on this tv is breathtaking especially on YouTube and other 4k services. So in a rock hard place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS906069 View Post
Make sure you have enabled game mode in advanced picture settings while playing Xbox/PS, this TV absolutely cannot be used for gaming in any other setting except that one (severe lag otherwise)

post #4174 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I do have a 65 inch ks9800 U.S. edition made in Mexico, haven't been able to find the info on when it was manufactured etc. Performed all updates set to manual updates as well. Television was purchased on Amazon via vanns. Got lucky pilot delivery went very well no damage. First thing I did was turn off eco sensor and amp settings. Using HDR plus on direct tv looks great one some channels, seeing that banding issue another mentioned on some programming, but on the movie channels the up conversion works really well. I honestly don't see much Flash lighting and for the most part my t.v. gets very dark. I notice some picture fade on the right half of the screen near the edge extending upwards about half of the screen while watching non hd shows on direct tv when there's black bars. One thing for the life of me I can't seem to figure out is sports the motion is pretty bad and I have amp off. I'm noticing almost like a micro stutter and then the weird glitchy movements when people run or move their arms like it's 56k internet so I'll need help figuring out some blur judder settings that have minimal soap opera effect. ultimately I'm mixed on the t.v. but given that I paid around 1600 or so for it I know I couldn't have gotten a better set for that price and I'm a Samsung lover admittedly. Hopefully with you guys help I can get these things lockedin
You say HDR looked beautiful, but Direct TV is all over the place. I would say your problem may lie with Direct TV. Do you have banding or these other problems described on your HDR source? If not, sounds like Direct TV may be your problem? Do you have a UHD Bluray player to test HDR? Is your HDR source the TV apps? I have minimal motion problems. Never from TV apps, Oppo 203, Dune HD, or Nvidia Shield. The only motion problem I have experienced is on ABC programing - not on the other networks. It seldom happens. I have Fios for cable. You may need a new satellite box from Direct TV. If all your sources have this problem, unfortunately, you may have a bad TV. You should make sure your TV is working properly in SDR mode, be it Movie, Standard or CalNight. HDR Plus may hide defects in the TV or accentuate them. Myself, I don't care for HDR Plus. Good luck.
jeep05 likes this.

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #4175 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Is this in reference to the above issue I mentioned about my input lag on my Xbox one s the tv sees it as that device but in game mode things feel sluggish slow and not fluid. I can definitely feel difference between my 60 Hz gaming cheap insignia tv and my new ks9800 makes no sense to me. To be completely honest purchased the tv in most part because I'm getting an Xbox one x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
HDMI INPUTS NOT RETAINING ASSIGNED ID?

Some 2016 & 2017 Samsung owners have reported that their TV has a tendency to "forget" the ID assigned to an HDMI input. Attached is a simple grid that will help Samsung engineers to isolate the issue so they can duplicate it in their lab. The idea is to capture as much information as possible so that they can build the same system internally.

In the first row of boxes, please list your TV's model number, serial number, firmware version, and the HDMI input(s) affected. In the six rows of boxes below that, identify the same information for any device(s) exhibiting the problem. Finally, in the "COMMENTS" box you may make a brief statement which illustrates your particular situation such as, "I have my Blu-ray player running through my Marantz SR7011 AVR".

Please send me your responses via PM (or via email to: alulae70792@mypacks.net), and I will pass them on to the Samsung engineering team.
post #4176 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonT View Post
You say HDR looked beautiful, but Direct TV is all over the place. I would say your problem may lie with Direct TV. Do you have banding or these other problems described on your HDR source? If not, sounds like Direct TV may be your problem? Do you have a UHD Bluray player to test HDR? Is your HDR source the TV apps? I have minimal motion problems. Never from TV apps, Oppo 203, Dune HD, or Nvidia Shield. The only motion problem I have experienced is on ABC programing - not on the other networks. It seldom happens. I have Fios for cable. You may need a new satellite box from Direct TV. If all your sources have this problem, unfortunately, you may have a bad TV. You should make sure your TV is working properly in SDR mode, be it Movie, Standard or CalNight. HDR Plus may hide defects in the TV or accentuate them. Myself, I don't care for HDR Plus. Good luck.

I'm with SheldonT. DirecTV being all over the place has been the norm for me also since replacing my DirecTV equipment just recently, with banding being the biggest issue. I do not see it on any other source. The picture on other sources is absolutely stunning but not on some DirecTV programming. Compression, Compression

Last edited by jeep05; 10-05-2017 at 01:41 PM.
post #4177 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
.... ultimately I'm mixed on the t.v. but given that I paid around 1600 or so for it I know I couldn't have gotten a better set for that price and I'm a Samsung lover admittedly.....
Wow! That is a great price (assuming the unit is truly "new", as in originally sealed manufacturers carton and having never been used, opened, etc. by another person)

"The law come to get you if you don't walk right"
Tennessee Jed
Lyrics: Robert Hunter
Music: Jerry Garcia
post #4178 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 04:09 PM

I like HDR plus for most content on direct t.v. like I said the movie channels look damn good, but I don't see banding on HDR content at least to my eyes. I won't proclaim to be a video professional like some of you guys are on this forum. As for motion or other defects the only other issue I noticed non picture related was my television fans became very loud and I heard a sort of buzzing. Pulled the one connect box and master reset I haven't heard it since. I'm not sure if the television is defective I'm not fully sure what to look for entirely or the symptoms it would exhibit to determine directly if it is. In the other modes for hdr or 4k yes I use the t.v. apps I don't have any uhd movies or player besides my Xbox one s. I don't see motion issue on those sources not in the same regard as sports on direct tv with the bad stuttering. I suppose when I did watch a 4k soccer clip on YouTube there was some stutter as well when people ran etc. It's hard to pinpoint maybe someone has some motion settings that could help. If for some reason the motion processor was defective what would I notice other than what I've explained. i hope my tv isn't defective because I don't see many of the issues others talked about in the 400 plus pages. Flash lighting was minimal the blooming wasn't terrible and the corners weren't too bad on the screen. my whites are a little grey but that can be fixed using posted settings I suppose which I have yet to delve into. Thanks to everyone for answering and helping!

Quote:
Quote:
post #4179 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 04:14 PM

It's from Vanns storefront on Amazon I asked and they're an authorized seller of Samsung products item arrived in brand new condition. I paid 1995 for it after tax 2100 and then used the price protection. Bless the heart of the member who suggested that. That's why it's hard to truly complain because based on my budget there's no other tv at 65 inches that is even close to the quality of this t.v. obviously minus some of the quirks. Honestly if I can figure out the motion and input lag issue this tv is perfect. The blacks are stunning and the picture is vibrant pops to how my personal liking. So I'm happy for both price to quality ratio but also annoyed because I play a ton of Xbox and watch sports a ton of it and the motion is killing me with the stuttering and skipping. I even tried sports mode and that didn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal250 View Post
Quote:
.... ultimately I'm mixed on the t.v. but given that I paid around 1600 or so for it I know I couldn't have gotten a better set for that price and I'm a Samsung lover admittedly.....
Wow! That is a great price (assuming the unit is truly "new", as in originally sealed manufacturers carton and having never been used, opened, etc. by another person)
post #4180 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Agreed I'm going to get the new 4k genie as I'm eligible for an upgrade. It sucks that some Channels using hdr plus settings looked ridiculous like show time and Smithsonian channel etc I think they broadcast in higher resolutions. I haven't tried to watch tv in non hdr plus yet as he mentioned other than a few minutes of basketball to see if that mode was messing the motion up which it wasn't. The softer tone of direct tv is kindof annoying on this tv however it's not it's fault that direct tv programming is compressed as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep05 View Post
Quote:

I'm with SheldonT. DirecTV being all over the place has been the norm for me also since replacing my DirecTV equipment just recently, with banding being the biggest issue. I do not see it on any other source. The picture on other sources is absolutely stunning but not on some DirecTV programming. Compression, Compression
jeep05 likes this.
post #4181 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Agreed I'm going to get the new 4k genie as I'm eligible for an upgrade. It sucks that some Channels using hdr plus settings looked ridiculous like show time and Smithsonian channel etc I think they broadcast in higher resolutions. I haven't tried to watch tv in non hdr plus yet as he mentioned other than a few minutes of basketball to see if that mode was messing the motion up which it wasn't. The softer tone of direct tv is kindof annoying on this tv however it's not it's fault that direct tv programming is compressed as you said.

Quote:
Quote:

Also make sure screen fit is set to ON, not off or auto. You dont want any overscanning on cable since the tv is already trying to manipulate 1080 into 4k. Overscanning is misaligning pixels that are already misaligned to begin with (if that makes any sense, the whole 1080 lines of resolution to a 2160 set) noticed it helped alot with my first 4k set a couple years ago.
post #4182 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure if the Nvidia Shield supports HLG, but I am pretty sure the Oppo does. So that would be a good test (though the Oppo may have to be plugged in directly into the TV.)

You can download the HLG videos from here:

The travel clip works from the oppo. The Jazz clip didn't, but when I tried it last night on the youtube TV app, it didn't either. The Sony Handycam does work on the Oppo.
Lineproduct likes this.

post #4183 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
The travel clip works from the oppo. The Jazz clip didn't, but when I tried it last night on the youtube TV app, it didn't either. The Sony Handycam does work on the Oppo.
The TravelXP and the Sony clips trigger HDR when played via Oppo? Nice.

Looks like the ports have been upgraded to HDMI 2.0b then. Means that we're good to go as far as HLG over HDMI whenever we'll get broadcast HDR. It may also mean that we'll possibly get HDR10+ over HDMI, since Paul Williams of Panasonic said that HDMI 2.0b is all that's required. Samsung and Panasonic have both showed off HDR10+ over HDMI on 2017 HDMI 2.0b TVs.
post #4184 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 05:51 PM

Thanks, yeah I handled that when I first got the television. I use to sell televisions when I worked at circuit city and have continued to follow them so I have a working knowledge of technical terms etc, but no expert especially not on a set I just purchase. Although I lived vicariously through this thread which kind of served as a horror story lol. Like I said ultimately if I can lock in those motions issues don't see myself disliking the tv the picture is great on mostly all the sources especially the 4k hdr apps I wowed family with a 4k HDR Vegas bellagio video! Just need to get Xbox one locked in picture wise and lag wise and I'll be one happy camper. For what I paid probably couldn't get but a mid tier tv. Although this tv obviously isn't perfect it sure the hell is worth what I paid. Praying we see more updates to it as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoss35 View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Also make sure screen fit is set to ON, not off or auto. You dont want any overscanning on cable since the tv is already trying to manipulate 1080 into 4k. Overscanning is misaligning pixels that are already misaligned to begin with (if that makes any sense, the whole 1080 lines of resolution to a 2160 set) noticed it helped alot with my first 4k set a couple years ago.
post #4185 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Watching the Thursday night football game all kinds of stutter like a slow computer constantly jumping almost looks like buffering smh ????
post #4186 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 PM

Also turned off hdr plus to see if that helps
post #4187 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Sheldon was right HDR plus off made the football game more clear less grain looked better again just need to fix the motion it jumps a hell of a lot intermittently too shame because boy is it a good picture! Sorry for all the posts
post #4188 of 4303 Old 10-05-2017, 10:40 PM

Blue tooth audio question that I posted a few posts ago. The t.v. will connect to my 2.1 Blue tooth speaker set up I have play about 3 secs of audio and then no more sound. Connection isn't disconnected either. I've tried changing the audio to pcm etc still no audio through the Bluetooth speakers makes no sense.
post #4189 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 3061
Quote:
Sorry for all the posts
No worries Only thing I'd suggest is when quoting, please don't quote the WHOLE of the post you are replying to. Trim it down to the point to which you are replying. Oh, and always reply BELOW the quote, like everyone else does

Denon AVR-X4200W + Arcam Alpha 8P. A 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops. | Samsung 55KS7000 TV (EU/UK single-tuner version of KS8000) | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI-4K modes | 4K chroma test | Samsung 2016 TVs | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays
post #4190 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Watching the Thursday night football game all kinds of stutter like a slow computer constantly jumping almost looks like buffering smh ????
What station were you watching the game on? These sets have stuttering issues with 1080i content for whatever reason. In my experience anyway.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #4191 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
The TravelXP and the Sony clips trigger HDR when played via Oppo? Nice.

Looks like the ports have been upgraded to HDMI 2.0b then. Means that we're good to go as far as HLG over HDMI whenever we'll get broadcast HDR. It may also mean that we'll possibly get HDR10+ over HDMI, since Paul Williams of Panasonic said that HDMI 2.0b is all that's required. Samsung and Panasonic have both showed off HDR10+ over HDMI on 2017 HDMI 2.0b TVs.
After checking the Sony clip again last night, it doesn't switch to HDR from my Oppo 203. The Travel XP clip still triggers HDR from the Oppo. What's funny is the Sony clip switches to HDR through the TV's youtube app. I'm guessing that the youtube downloader I was using did not download in HLG.

post #4192 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mine acts nothing like that. I just keep my settings on auto, i have no issues with anything motion related on sports
post #4193 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
After checking the Sony clip again last night, it doesn't switch to HDR from my Oppo 203. The Travel XP clip still triggers HDR from the Oppo. What's funny is the Sony clip switches to HDR through the TV's youtube app. I'm guessing that the youtube downloader I was using did not download in HLG.
Maybe YouTube downloaders are more fickle. You could always check to see if the file contains an HDR10/HLG video using this program: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Did you download all of the clips using the YouTube downloader, or did you also use the clips below?

^ You can download these directly and I'm pretty certain both download as HLG.

By the way, the Sony clip is a bit weird in that it's only BT709. It's the only HDR video I've seen on YouTube that's HDR (be it HDR10 or HLG) that's BT709 instead of BT2020. Not sure if that has anything to do with why it won't trigger HDR, but perhaps the downloader is getting confused by the color space.

EDIT: someone on the official Samsung forum is saying that tech support told him only port #3 is HDMI 2.0b. Take that with a grain of salt, considering tech support is usually clueless.

Last edited by Lineproduct; 10-06-2017 at 11:13 AM.
post #4194 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post
Quote:
What station were you watching the game on? These sets have stuttering issues with 1080i content for whatever reason. In my experience anyway.

I was watching the game on NFL Network. Auto motion was on off. It's weird and annoying I watch a lot of sports which many of us probably do. I've watched some espn today haven't noticed much stutter on game high lights I'll test again tonight with the usa soccer game and basketball thanks. Wish there was
post #4195 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Quote:
Sorry for all the posts
No worries Only thing I'd suggest is when quoting, please don't quote the WHOLE of the post you are replying to. Trim it down to the point to which you are replying. Oh, and always reply BELOW the quote, like everyone else does
Posting from my phone how do I trim it down seems to mess up and quote everything sorry again.
post #4196 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Mine acts nothing like that. I just keep my settings on auto, i have no issues with anything motion related on sports
Auto gives Soap opera effect which I can't stand or are you saying you turn it on during sports and it helps? I know like 300 pages back I saw some amp blur and judder settings anyone have some that yield good results for sports/direct t.v.! Also who uses digital clean view? Seems to help a lot cleaning up direct tv makes picture slightly softer but the noise and grain clears.
jeep05 likes this.
post #4197 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Auto gives Soap opera effect which I can't stand or are you saying you turn it on during sports and it helps? I know like 300 pages back I saw some amp blur and judder settings anyone have some that yield good results for sports/direct t.v.! Also who uses digital clean view? Seems to help a lot cleaning up direct tv makes picture slightly softer but the noise and grain clears.
I use auto for everything. I dont mind the SOE, but to each its own.its all subjective. But i watch alot of nascar, no motion or espn ticker issues, or any motion issues watching sports. And i keep clean view on for cable and streaming, but turn it off for blu rays or 4k discs. It does help clean the signal from compressed sources up quite a bit.
post #4198 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
I was watching the game on NFL Network. Auto motion was on off. It's weird and annoying I watch a lot of sports which many of us probably do. I've watched some espn today haven't noticed much stutter on game high lights I'll test again tonight with the usa soccer game and basketball thanks. Wish there was
NFL network is 1080i so that fits with my experience. However with Automotion off it shouldn't be as prevalent and obviously. I always have it On as I cannot stand the blur otherwise. Everyone seems to perceive motion differently so it's hard to say what your problem is or if you have one

post #4199 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Maybe YouTube downloaders are more fickle. You could always check to see if the file contains an HDR10/HLG video using this program: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Did you download all of the clips using the YouTube downloader, or did you also use the clips below?

^ You can download these directly and I'm pretty certain both download as HLG.

By the way, the Sony clip is a bit weird in that it's only BT709. It's the only HDR video I've seen on YouTube that's HDR (be it HDR10 or HLG) that's BT709 instead of BT2020. Not sure if that has anything to do with why it won't trigger HDR, but perhaps the downloader is getting confused by the color space.

EDIT: someone on the official Samsung forum is saying that tech support told him only port #3 is HDMI 2.0b. Take that with a grain of salt, considering tech support is usually clueless.
I dowloaded both from these links yesterday. The jazz one does not switch on my Oppo. The travel one does. I tried acouple of different downloaders for the Sony clip. It still won't switch to HDR on the Oppo.

post #4200 of 4303 Old 10-06-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I use auto for everything. I dont mind the SOE, but to each its own.its all subjective. But i watch alot of nascar, no motion or espn ticker issues, or any motion issues watching sports. And i keep clean view on for cable and streaming, but turn it off for blu rays or 4k discs. It does help clean the signal from compressed sources up quite a bit.
It sure does kind of lose some of the sharpness but it doesn't help a lot. Yeah my issue with the motion is the sports programming randomly skipping like a stutter or frame rate issue similar to what you would see on playing Xbox one. Or have you ever seen the players legs look like a fan when you stare into it lol. It has gotten better in standard mode instead of hdr and I will turn on motion next time I watch. I wish I could find the post where someone said they had success with like 8 and 3 judder blur settings. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page