Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1484Likes

post #1111 of 4280 Old 09-30-2016, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10161 Post(s)
Liked: 9133
documented my dimming issues with pictures in the KS9800 review blog.

but on another note, theres a review of the KS9800, which the reviewer was able to put it side by side with an EF9500 oled, and had some pretty good details about how the 2 tvs faired.

http://hometheaterreview.com/samsung...d-tv-reviewed/

click the spoiler to read the head to head comparison with the oled.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 4280 Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm on 1131 (Europe) now and i testet a specific Scene from the Blu-Ray Oblivion in Movie Mode.
The flickering/flashing FALD Issue b0rnarian mentioned (like the Blade 2 Scene) is still there.
I have a lot of problems with this TV and the new Firmware didn't fix anything.
Nothing has changed.
In Standard Mode everything is fine. I compared HDR+/Movie/Standard.
Only in Standard Mode the Dimming is working (almost) correctly.
post #1113 of 4280 Old 10-01-2016, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I really wanna buy this tv cause it would be the best TV for HDR gaming with the ps4pro out of any other FALD tvs out there.
But after seeing and hearing people complain about the defective locol dimming I would feel really bad about purchasing it at this current moment

post #1114 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbil View Post
I really wanna buy this tv cause it would be the best TV for HDR gaming with the ps4pro out of any other FALD tvs out there.
But after seeing and hearing people complain about the defective locol dimming I would feel really bad about purchasing it at this current moment
I owned the JS9500. Most of the time it was satisfactory but it would really become bad in some cases. Like you, I was concerned about the LD issues but decided to take the plunge, especially seeing a sizable price reduction. Even with Smart LED set to High during HDR content, I RARELY see any kind of flash lighting and or blooming. When I have, it didn't bother me one bit. Turned down to low, the image still popped excellently and the anomalies were pretty impossible to see without straight up pausing it at the right time.

It's possible I just got really lucky with panel lottery or the recent 1133(?) firmware fixed it slightly. Even with FALD off, I'm very pleased with the uniformity of the panel. I dare say that the blacks are only slightly worse than my C6 OLED, if that's believable lol.

It handled Stranger things EPS 7, which is a torture for black/white contrast imo like a damn champ. When I can catch my breath from testing these things (TVs) and hosting inlaws, I'll try and post more details.

To sum it all up though, I've owned every major flagship this year and I personally think the KS9800 is in a league of its own, no joke.
ray0414 likes this.
post #1115 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 10161 Post(s)
Liked: 9133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csbooth View Post
I owned the JS9500. Most of the time it was satisfactory but it would really become bad in some cases. Like you, I was concerned about the LD issues but decided to take the plunge, especially seeing a sizable price reduction. Even with Smart LED set to High during HDR content, I RARELY see any kind of flash lighting and or blooming. When I have, it didn't bother me one bit. Turned down to low, the image still popped excellently and the anomalies were pretty impossible to see without straight up pausing it at the right time.

It's possible I just got really lucky with panel lottery or the recent 1133(?) firmware fixed it slightly. Even with FALD off, I'm very pleased with the uniformity of the panel. I dare say that the blacks are only slightly worse than my C6 OLED, if that's believable lol.

It handled Stranger things EPS 7, which is a torture for black/white contrast imo like a damn champ. When I can catch my breath from testing these things (TVs) and hosting inlaws, I'll try and post more details.

To sum it all up though, I've owned every major flagship this year and I personally think the KS9800 is in a league of its own, no joke.

Stranger things was a pleasure to watch on the ks9800. The blacks were super inky, the shadow detail was incredible, and the daytime scenes were super sharp and vibrant.

I may try to make a warranty claim on my dimming issue for hdr content. Sdr is very satisfactory to me.
Csbooth likes this.
post #1116 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

It's possible I just got really lucky with panel lottery or the recent 1133(?) firmware fixed it slightly. Even with FALD off, I'm very pleased with the uniformity of the panel. I dare say that the blacks are only slightly worse tjhan my C6 OLED, if that's believable lol.

I watched all 8 episodes of Stranger Things and the picture was excellent, even ep 7. The only problem I' ve had is with the Deadpool HDR disk which could just be a problem with that particular disk. I had no problems with The Revenanant and Oblivion HDR disks with bleed or flashlighting with Smart Led on Low or High. In the Off position there was some bleed into the black bars. Apparently, your display is performing somewhat better than mine with Smart Led in the Off position. I did find that 1133 helped the dimming issue on my TV a little bit, but not enough to correct the bleed 100% on the Deadpool HDR disk. Blacks seem to be a little blacker, but tht could just be me. You may have hit the panel lottery just right. Other than the dimming issue I have been very pleased with the performance of the TV, except for one new problem that I just discovered while testing the dimming issue. When I switch to Standard mode the display will start to darken after about 15 seconds. Has anyone else noticed this?

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #1117 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheldonT View Post
I watched all 8 episodes of Stranger Things and the picture was excellent, even ep 7. The only problem I' ve had is with the Deadpool HDR disk which could just be a problem with that particular disk. I had no problems with The Revenanant and Oblivion HDR disks with bleed or flashlighting with Smart Led on Low or High. In the Off position there was some bleed into the black bars. Apparently, your display is performing somewhat better than mine with Smart Led in the Off position. I did find that 1133 helped the dimming issue on my TV a little bit, but not enough to correct the bleed 100% on the Deadpool HDR disk. Blacks seem to be a little blacker, but tht could just be me. You may have hit the panel lottery just right. Other than the dimming issue I have been very pleased with the performance of the TV, except for one new problem that I just discovered while testing the dimming issue. When I switch to Standard mode the display will start to darken after about 15 seconds. Has anyone else noticed this?
SheldonT, just read in the KS9800 Review-Blog thread that the ECO Mode is on under Standard mode. Turn it off.
King Richard likes this.
post #1118 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Regarding the darken Display in Standard Mode.
You have to turn off Motion Lighting in the Eco Settings

Edit
Oops, sorry. JSteel already answered your question.
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by macfly75; 10-02-2016 at 06:44 AM.
post #1119 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=JSteel;47194457]SheldonT, just read in the KS9800 Review-Blog thread that the ECO Mode is on under Standard mode. Turn it off.

I turned it off. It still got darker, but it started to darken at around 30 seconds. I don't use standard mode, so I guess I never noticed this. All other modes hold steady. Did 1133 cause this problem or most likely, was it there all along?

Samsung UN78KS9800, Samsung UN78HU9000, Samsung SEK3500u, Universal Remote MX-980 Programmable Remote, Denon X7200WA, Paradigm Persona 3F (2), Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Monitor Sub 12, Definitive Technology Mythos Gem XL(2 - Atmos), Definitive Technology Mythos XTR-20BP(2- Atmos), Dune HD Smart D1 media player, Qnap TS-639 Pro NAS (20TB), Oppo UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player.
post #1120 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=SheldonT;47195081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post
SheldonT, just read in the KS9800 Review-Blog thread that the ECO Mode is on under Standard mode. Turn it off.

I turned it off. It still got darker, but it started to darken at around 30 seconds. I don't use standard mode, so I guess I never noticed this. All other modes hold steady. Did 1133 cause this problem or most likely, was it there all along?
What about motion dimming or whatever it's called under the same area? I noticed mine did it with this as well. I actually watch in standard mode I did hit the lottery with panels I think lol. Hopefully my 1+ year hunting TVs and having around 14 altogether has paid off! Lol

Also it could just be a issue with that disc I think.
ray0414 likes this.
post #1121 of 4280 Old 10-02-2016, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=Csbooth;47202377]
Quote:

What about motion dimming or whatever it's called under the same area? I noticed mine did it with this as well. I actually watch in standard mode I did hit the lottery with panels I think lol. Hopefully my 1+ year hunting TVs and having around 14 altogether has paid off! Lol

Also it could just be a issue with that disc I think.
Thanks to @JSteel and @Csbooth and @macfly75
I got Standard mode working correctly after turning Eco Sensor off. I think I will now try to calibrate SDR in Standard mode and compare it to Movie mode for SDR which I use now. Movie mode for SDR is excellent for me so far. I also tried the Deadpool HDR disc in Standard mode and it looks like the light bleed in the scenes I was experiencing problems with is now almost gone completely. It is stll there but definitely slightly better than in movie Mode.
JSteel and Csbooth like this.

Last edited by SheldonT; 10-02-2016 at 09:12 PM.
post #1122 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked: 632
[quote=SheldonT;47209217]
Quote:

Thanks to @JSteel and @Csbooth and @macfly75
I got Standard mode working correctly after turning Eco Sensor off. I think I will now try to calibrate SDR in Standard mode and compare it to Movie mode for SDR which I use now. Movie mode for SDR is excellent for me so far. I also tried the Deadpool HDR disc in Standard mode and it looks like the light bleed in the scenes I was experiencing problems with is now almost gone completely. It is stll there but definitely slightly better than in movie Mode.
Sheldon, just be weary of the shadows getting completely blacked out in Standard mode compared to Movie mode. Switching between the two looks like a haze over Movie mode which is very much necessary when it comes to dark shadow details and it all gets lost in Standard mode being completely black. To pull out those details I feel like Standard mode will need a really high Brightness setting over 45, I remember trying 47 and it made no difference whatsoever. That's why I've just opted out for Movie mode for now as I do not have any calibration equipment.

Its also, the reason I asked Mark to check the gray-scale of Standard mode but I believe he felt it unnecessary. He might still be messing with it trying to get a solid HDR setting in Standard.
PS: Glad to see we all got the Calibration train rolling in here as the thread was completely dead the week of CEDIA

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
Other Living Room: Panasonic Plasma 55 + Onkyo Home Theater System 5.1 + PS3
Currently For SALE : UHD Media & Codes
post #1123 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=b0rnarian;47216081]
Quote:

Sheldon, just be weary of the shadows getting completely blacked out in Standard mode compared to Movie mode. Switching between the two looks like a haze over Movie mode which is very much necessary when it comes to dark shadow details and it all gets lost in Standard mode being completely black. To pull out those details I feel like Standard mode will need a really high Brightness setting over 45, I remember trying 47 and it made no difference whatsoever. That's why I've just opted out for Movie mode for now as I do not have any calibration equipment.

Its also, the reason I asked Mark to check the gray-scale of Standard mode but I believe he felt it unnecessary. He might still be messing with it trying to get a solid HDR setting in Standard.
PS: Glad to see we all got the Calibration train rolling in here as the thread was completely dead the week of CEDIA
The impression I got from Mark's blog was that he was going to try different settings in Standard mode in HDR, but he felt it was not necessary in SDR mode. He thinks Movie mode is the way to go in SDR. I am curious myself to see how standard looks in SDR and will calibrate one night this week. Right now SDR in Standard mode is OK but not great - greyscale definitely has to be adjusted. HDR in Standard looks as good as Movie mode with a little less light bleed into lower left corner of black bar. Waiting to see what Mark comes up with for HDR in Standard mode.

Last edited by SheldonT; 10-03-2016 at 09:06 AM.
post #1124 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=SheldonT;47217081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rnarian View Post

The impression I got from Mark's blog was that he was going to try different settings in Standard mode in HDR, but he felt it was not necessary in SDR mode. He thinks Movie mode is the way to go in SDR. I am curious myself to see how standard looks in SDR and will calibrate one night this week. Right now SDR in Standard mode is OK but not great - greyscale definitely has to be adjusted. HDR in Standard looks as good as Movie mode with a little less light bleed into lower left corner of black bar. Waiting to see what Mark comes up with for HDR in Standard mode.
Yup, bringing it all together... SDR is awesome in Movie mode and Standard mode seems unnecessary but not for me and macfly who can benefit from a properly calibrated Standard settings for SDR content so that we can get rid of our flickering/pumping problems. Though there will def. have to be some distinct changes as the gray-scale of Standard is far from Movie mode's and hides details in dark scenes... IE: The chandelier Pictures from macfly from Oblivion I believe.

Would love to see Mark's HDR settings as well regardless of Movie or Standard mode. Also looking forward to your Standard SDR calibration settings Sheldon.

Best,
Main Living Room: Samsung 65 KS9800 + Audio: Onkyo HT-S6300 7.1 + Sony UBP-X800 + PS4
post #1125 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:

You should consider trying Gamma at 0 2.2 in Standard Mode.
With Gamma -2 2.4 you might get crushing Blacks in dark Scenes.
I tried Gamma -2 while staying on Backlight at 5.
When watching Sports it looks very good.
But for Movies etc. Gamma is maybe slightly too Low.

These are my modified Standard Settings for now...but they can change anytime lol

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 95
Sharpness: 0
Color: 52
Digital Clean View: Off
Smart-LED: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance: Untouched
Gamma: -1
Color Space: Auto

But you are right. Movie Mode is always slighty better in Details and the Colors seems more saturated.

But for me, Standard Mode is the better compromise.
I hate that flickering pumping Dimming Issue.
By the way, look at these Videos sisco123 has posted 2 Months ago

Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread

There is definitely something wrong with Movie Mode....or lets say all Pictures Modes except Standard.
post #1126 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=macfly75;47218073]
Quote:

These are my modified Standard Settings for now...but they can change anytime lol

But you are right. Movie Mode is always slighty better in Details and the Colors seems more saturated.

There is definitely something wrong with Movie Mode....or lets say all Pictures Modes except Standard.
So the -2 Gamma was recommended for Movie mode only and my Backlight is turned up to 9 so there's no crushed blacks or anything. I tried to upload all pics today but didn't work otherwise watching The last HOBBIT movie yesterday was mindblowing to say the least especially in the later parts of the movie. PS: my phone takes crappy pics and the images don't even do 50% justice to what it actually looks like on the TV.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...DJ4MXNVeEZQeWc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...GRZSmNRY3cxeXc

For standard, I would imagine the Gamma to actually go up as the image is super dark and crushing blacks at 0 even.

Best,
post #1127 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 10:10 AM

[quote=b0rnarian;47218321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfly75 View Post

So the -2 Gamma was recommended for Movie mode only and my Backlight is turned up to 9 so there's no crushed blacks or anything. I tried to upload all pics today but didn't work otherwise watching The last HOBBIT movie yesterday was mindblowing to say the least especially in the later parts of the movie. PS: my phone takes crappy pics and the images don't even do 50% justice to what it actually looks like on the TV.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...DJ4MXNVeEZQeWc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...GRZSmNRY3cxeXc

For standard, I would imagine the Gamma to actually go up as the image is super dark and crushing blacks at 0 even.
Even at 50% the Pictures look great
I forgot to say that i watch Movies and Series in a pitch black Room.
Even during the Day my Room is dimmed
Thats the Reason why my Backlight is quite Low. And maybe that's why my eyes react so sensitive on that Flickering.
b0rnarian likes this.
post #1128 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=b0rnarian;47217689]
Quote:

Yup, bringing it all together... SDR is awesome in Movie mode and Standard mode seems unnecessary but not for me and macfly who can benefit from a properly calibrated Standard settings for SDR content so that we can get rid of our flickering/pumping problems. Though there will def. have to be some distinct changes as the gray-scale of Standard is far from Movie mode's and hides details in dark scenes... IE: The chandelier Pictures from macfly from Oblivion I believe.

Would love to see Mark's HDR settings as well regardless of Movie or Standard mode. Also looking forward to your Standard SDR calibration settings Sheldon.
Will try to get to it tonight or tomorrow night. Grey-scale definitely needs some work in SDR. Faces don't look right for the most part either.
b0rnarian likes this.

post #1129 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=macfly75;47219089]
Quote:

Thats the Reason why my Backlight is quite Low. And maybe that's why my eyes react so sensitive on that Flickering.
I wish I had the option of watching in a dark room, let alone a pitch black room. I still get daylight in the room at 9:30PM in Indiana lols

Best,
post #1130 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=macfly75;47218073]
Quote:

I tried both -2 and -1 for gamma last night and found blacks being crushed on both, but definitely better on -1. My backlight was on 7 to help the black crush. I dropped color down to 45 and use Warm1 for Color Tone - never liked Warm2. Still couldn't get faces to look clean. Dynamic Contrast on Medium, for me, seemed the best.The rest of your settings are what I was using, too. I think doing the 2 point white balance will straighten out some of these issues. As far as the flickering/pumping you are experiencing, I didn't notice it in that scene in the Oblivion Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, I think there seems to be so much variability in our dimming issues that it is hard to pinpoint what the problems may be. Is it uniformity in the display panels or the main boards. We all have differing degrees of this local dimming issue, some slight like myself and others more severe. It's hard to tell. Hopefully, firmware updates will correct these problems.

post #1131 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=macfly75;47219089]
Quote:

You should try a bias light behind the TV, if you haven't already. It helps considerably with eye strain. It can also help make the grays and blacks on your screen seem richer. My room is completely dark right now by 7:00 PM. I do most of my viewing after this time.
King Richard likes this.

post #1132 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 10:57 AM

[quote=b0rnarian;47219553]
Quote:

I wish I had the option of watching in a dark room, let alone a pitch black room. I still get daylight in the room at 9:30PM in Indiana lols
That's what you need then. Some good solid roller shutter
When they are down no light gets through
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161003_195156.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	1698041  
post #1133 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 11:17 AM

[quote=SheldonT;47220153]
Quote:

You should try a bias light behind the TV, if you haven't already. It helps considerably with eye strain. It can also help make the grays and blacks on your screen seem richer. My room is completely dark right now by 7:00 PM. I do most of my viewing after this time.
Well, when watching Movies (mostly at late evening/night) i want the room completely dark.
That's the way i watch Movies for Years and Decades.
Even a small light bothers me.

Overall i don't have problems with my eyes.
Backlight at 5 is ideal so far.

It's only this Flashing/Pumping/Flickering Issue which is very annoying.
I'm suprised that only 3 People in this Forum (b0rnarian, sisco123 and me) experienced this Problem.
I'm still hoping that this is not a hardware fault and it can be fixed with a Software Update.
I would rather use the Movie Mode.

Anyway, i think i will switch the Standard Gamma back to 0 and Dynamic Contrast at Low for now.

Last edited by macfly75; 10-03-2016 at 11:37 AM.
post #1134 of 4280 Old 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm, I haven't noticed much difference between the two in regards to shadow detail. Maybe I'm just not as bothered by it?
post #1135 of 4280 Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We really need more pics in this thread!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...mNoa2lFMmRDc1U
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...E1Uem5tUzVwYWs

Best,

Last edited by b0rnarian; 10-04-2016 at 06:47 AM.
post #1136 of 4280 Old 10-04-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Few More:
Sorry for the crappy pics, these looks much better and natural in person.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...kY5OVhCc2VLNU0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...0N2NWliN21OZU0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...0hrOWdUN202QU0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...3RGTmJDS2R0VVU
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...kd6QXdKRnd4dG8
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3...FFGVmhUVnBXMnM

Best,
post #1137 of 4280 Old 10-04-2016, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Calibration Settings - Movie and Standard Modes

B0rnarian and macfly, here are my new calibrations for Movie and Standard modes. The picture for both modes look very similar. The settings look pretty much similar except for the 2 point offsets in the 2 point white balance. The 2 point gains were identical. I used gamma of -2 (2.4) and now the picture in Standard mode looks a lot better than before the calibration. Faces just didn’t look clean before I did the calibration. The 2 point white balance got the greyscale correct and now faces look clean with no bright effects or shadows. I tried gamma of -1 (2.2) and that looked good, too. It’s all personal preference. I couldn’t do the 10 point white balance because it is not an option in Standard mode. 10 point just makes finer adjustments that are more accurate but not that noticeable. 2 point is the important one to calibrate in order to get the greyscale smooth with no discoloration. You should experiment with Dynamic Contrast, Smart Led, Backlight, Gamma and Color Space to get the picture to your liking. I found that Auto and Custom look basically the same in Color Space, whereas Native will give a little bit deeper color. I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KS9800 Calibration 10-3-16.pdf (498.5 KB, 111 views)
King Richard likes this.

Last edited by SheldonT; 10-05-2016 at 09:32 AM.
post #1138 of 4280 Old 10-04-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
B0rnarian and macfly, here are my new calibrations for Movie and Standard modes. The picture for both modes look very similar. The settings look pretty much similar except for the 2 point offsets in the 2 point white balance. The 2 point gains were identical. I used gamma of -2 (2.4) and now the picture in Standard mode looks a lot better than before the calibration. Faces just didn’t look clean before I did the calibration. The 2 point white balance got the greyscale correct and now faces look clean with no bright effects or shadows. I tried gamma of -1 (2.2) and that looked good, too. It’s all personal preference. I couldn’t do the 10 point white balance because it is not an option in Standard mode. 10 point just makes finer adjustments that are more accurate but not that noticeable. 2 point is the important one to calibrate in order to get the greyscale smooth with no discoloration. You should experiment with Dynamic Contrast, Smart Led, Backlight, Gamma and Color Space to get the picture to your liking. I found that Auto and Custom look basically the same in Color Space, whereas Native will give a little bit deeper color. I hope this helps.
Thank you Sheldon-san! (im not even Japanese lol) I will give these both a try this evening. Two things that may be of concern:
1. I never use Dynamic Contrast to add artifacts to the original content so I will keep it off.
2. With Gamma of -2 or even -1 on standard may be way way way too dark on my set as it already hides tons of shadow details at 0 and bumping brightness to 47 didn't help last time. But I will give it a shot, who knows maybe the 2Point scale will help out in that regard... Will try and post images.

PS: Looks like Sharpness of 50 is a typo in Standard?
King Richard likes this.

Best,
post #1139 of 4280 Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you Sheldon-san! (im not even Japanese lol) I will give these both a try this evening. Two things that may be of concern:
1. I never use Dynamic Contrast to add artifacts to the original content so I will keep it off.
2. With Gamma of -2 or even -1 on standard may be way way way too dark on my set as it already hides tons of shadow details at 0 and bumping brightness to 47 didn't help last time. But I will give it a shot, who knows maybe the 2Point scale will help out in that regard... Will try and post images.

PS: Looks like Sharpness of 50 is a typo in Standard?
Believe it or not, that is the default in Standard mode. I always use 0 in Movie mode, but I was getting tired last night and figured you guys could adjust Sharpness to your liking and I left the default. I'll check it out tonight. Brightness calibrated to 47. I tend to like a little darker picture. Gamma came in at -2 (2.4) but I would definitely try bumping it up to 0 or 1. I would also try bumping the Backlight up a couple of notches. Try combinations of gamma and backlight to get the display to where you like it.

post #1140 of 4280 Old 10-04-2016, 02:12 PM
Lionheart of AVS

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Quote:
...here are my new calibrations for Movie and Standard modes...

I was going to ask the same thing as @b0rnarian about the "Sharpness" at 50 in Standard mode.

I was also wondering why you prefer "Color Tone" at Standard (instead of Warm).

Now obviously most of these setting only apply to SDR content and not to HDR content...

I just would like to add, if I may, a bit of info about some of the "Advanced" settings - for the sake of those readers following this thread who might be wondering what some of these settings are for...

Digital Clean View
Spoiler!

HDMI Black Level
Spoiler!

HDMI UHD Color
Spoiler!

Film Mode
Spoiler!

LED Clear Motion
Spoiler!

Gamma
Spoiler!