Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 242 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2503Likes

post #7231 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
You have a defective component or corrupted software that is the root cause of this issue. It is not an inherent design flaw, or flaky under-developed software. I have an M70, and I've never had a freeze with any input or content - ever.

First, I would try a factory reset - just to make sure there isn't some kind of corrupted preference file "clogging the drain." If that doesn't alleviate the problem, I would call Vizio and see what they recommend. They will either exchange it, or send out a tech. Or you can return/exchange it at the store where you picked it up.

The Google Chromecast tech ( Smartcast ) built in to the TV has been around for years, and is a mature platform.

EDIT: All the examples you gave involve issues with streaming/casting. Question: Can you watch regular TV without freezes; i.e. cable/satellite, blu-ray, DVD, non-streaming content?
If the answer is Yes, what download speeds do you get, and how reliable is your internet service?

It could still be something defective with your unit, but depending on your answers to the questions, it might not have anything to do with the TV. Regardless, what you are going through is not typical of the brand, nor the series, nor a specific model.

Best of luck.

Thank you. I did the factory reset, and seemingly it fixed the issue... for a while. I was streaming and everything was working great. However, the problems started creeping back in. I'm going to list all of the various issues I've experienced below. My internet connection is between 46-52mpbs in the room with the TV for reference.

-Freezing picture where audio continues to play (casting and through Xbox One S)
-Smartcast connection between the Android tablet/my iPhone/iPad fails and I can no longer access most of the TV settings without physically turning the tv off & back on.
-White flickering lines while streaming Netflix in 4k (the factory reset fixed this issues)
-Extreme amounts of grain in the picture... This could just be the way the content I was viewing was shot, but the more I watched the tv the more suspect I became about this. I'm a professional photographer, and I based on what I was viewing, I don't think the picture should have been that grainy. It looked like they filmed at iso 3200 is direct sunlit scenes. Again, it could just be the content I was viewing, but it seemed extreme. (Netflix, Hulu, and UHD bur-ray)
-The set would automatically reset my picture settings.
-Couldn't consistently change from input to input without some glitching that forced my to turn the unit off & on or a delay that I timed up to 1 minute and 32 seconds.

So, I've decided to return the set. Too many problems for me, and I'm still in my return window. Shame too, I got a great price on it, $669 for the M60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7232 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post
I think there is truth to that, but like everything else, it's very much a YMMV. My first set didn't suffer from it, nor did the replacement prior to 3.2.8.3.

I'm not by any means ruling out a case of, "holy **** I never noticed this", but bright corners seems like a thing I'd have called out immediately. I'm remaining optimistic that it's a firmware anomaly. I really don't want to keep replacing the display.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I've been a vocal proponent of politely requesting Vizio to allow users to rollback firmware if the latest tweaks cause undesirable PQ downgrades. The brighter corners you're seeing could be the result of them bumping up the backlight algos, which is the same reason why I instantly noticed that the blacks weren't deep as they were with 3.0.14, which is a shame.
post #7233 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I think it's FW. Didn't notice before, and as many of you know, I've been doing some serious tinkering so I think I would have noticed!
If those of us who've noticed the change in black levels with 3.2.8.3 send our comments to Matt via AVS forum quote or through twitter, then he might consider giving us the option of rolling back to a fw that's more preferable to our tastes. Or perhaps at the very least, he'd tweak the algorithms to produce the deeper blacks that we saw with 3.0.14.

post #7234 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
I know IPS glow, but I haven't really seen on my panel.
I do have to say that when I sit on the side, it's usually with lights on. And from straight on in the dark I don't notice it at all.
Yes, this is good to hear from an owner, LG has absolutely improved their process over the years in both contrast and glow, that's for sure, that said let me share a mildly interesting anecdotal story that happened recently: So the wife and I wanted a new 55" 4k for the bedroom, BUT, had to be cheap...CHEAP. I know I'll upset purists here, but since we have Amazon and Netflix AND an extra Roku 4 (does 4k but not HDR), we don't care, just wanted 4k and a VA panel as we would be watching straight on in bed... So we got a "Silo" brand 55" 4k at Fry's for $300.... ya, super cheap... It was advertised as having a 4000:1 contrast ratio, so based on that, it would be a VA panel so I bite and buy it... So, we bring it home and fire it up and instantly notice it's an IPS panel, you know how you just don't get all those shades of black, the glow, but good color pop, right? I check the manual and it shows 2 rows: the 48" version that's VA with 4000:1 contrast and the 55"....1200:1, LOL... bastards at Fry's had copied and pasted the specs from the 48" when it was a completely different panel type... THAT SAID, we were freaking impressed with the thing for what it was! Had HORRIBLE sound, but had a sound bar so no biggie, but what used to be 700:1 for IPS is now a legit 1200:1 and that's a big difference at that low of a starting level. It ended up taking a Samsung remote code too, so it may have been literally a sub-brand of low-end Samsung, they of course have IPS options too... Now we took it back because I found a JVC refurb for $15 more that was confirmed 3500:1 VA panel, but you know what? If we had ANY other use for it/could have afforded to we would have kept it.
post #7235 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather927 View Post
If those of us who've noticed the change in black levels with 3.2.8.3 send our comments to Matt via AVS forum quote or through twitter, then he might consider giving us the option of rolling back to a fw that's more preferable to our tastes. Or perhaps at the very least, he'd tweak the algorithms to produce the deeper blacks that we saw with 3.0.14.
I don't get what you guys are seeing, it seems mine is better then ever by far... like FALD has been finally dialed in perfectly and I'm getting awesome black levels, you just have to make minor adjustments on each revision it seems like... Especially with Calibrated/Dark, I can simply switch between those 2 mainly and maybe back the backlight down to 45, but the other 3 of the top 4 settings are spot on, and I'm happy with color not making any color tuning changes at all, I just notice that for certain titles I have to use color of 80 (Bloodline on Netflix, 4k not HDR), which is the default on Vivid, but again after I realized just how good Calibrated/Dark is I don't even use Vivid anymore... I wonder if different batches of panels may have different black levels, I got mine from Costco right before Thanksgiving when the 65" was $999...

Last edited by danbfree; 05-05-2017 at 02:02 PM.
post #7236 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonScented View Post
Thank you. I did the factory reset, and seemingly it fixed the issue... for a while. I was streaming and everything was working great. However, the problems started creeping back in. I'm going to list all of the various issues I've experienced below. My internet connection is between 46-52mpbs in the room with the TV for reference.

-Freezing picture where audio continues to play (casting and through Xbox One S)
-Smartcast connection between the Android tablet/my iPhone/iPad fails and I can no longer access most of the TV settings without physically turning the tv off & back on.
-White flickering lines while streaming Netflix in 4k (the factory reset fixed this issues)
-Extreme amounts of grain in the picture... This could just be the way the content I was viewing was shot, but the more I watched the tv the more suspect I became about this. I'm a professional photographer, and I based on what I was viewing, I don't think the picture should have been that grainy. It looked like they filmed at iso 3200 is direct sunlit scenes. Again, it could just be the content I was viewing, but it seemed extreme. (Netflix, Hulu, and UHD bur-ray)
-The set would automatically reset my picture settings.
-Couldn't consistently change from input to input without some glitching that forced my to turn the unit off & on or a delay that I timed up to 1 minute and 32 seconds.

So, I've decided to return the set. Too many problems for me, and I'm still in my return window. Shame too, I got a great price on it, $669 for the M60.
Can you exchange it or was it the last one on close out or something? That stuff is not normal, I bet a new one would be fine...
post #7237 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Yes, the IPS panel is considerably better in side viewing. But it's a lot easier to notice blooming in a dark room on it because of the low native contrast. You never really get a truly "black" image on it in the dark.
The IPS model can't get as bright as the VA panel models, mine maxes out at around 300nits after some serious tweaking.
After my display updates to the latest firmware, I'll perform a factory reset and see if things improve, but from what I can see I don't think there is going to be any difference.

Hmm really? The P55 (ips) i had before had zero blooming, and this was in a bedroom. Is P series really that much better with blacks? Maybe i will have to spend more to get the P again, was just kind of hoping to save some money and get the M, wal mart has a refurbished 60" for 650 bucks.
post #7238 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 908
The P series has 126 zones compared to the M's 64. It's possible that the panel is also better.
But I often notice some blooming with HDR, with subtitles, or a black screen + text.
I noticed a bit of it in DareDevil too, as it's quite a dark show with small highlights.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #7239 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
The P series has 126 zones compared to the M's 64. It's possible that the panel is also better.
But I often notice some blooming with HDR, with subtitles, or a black screen + text.
I noticed a bit of it in DareDevil too, as it's quite a dark show with small highlights.
I see, sounds like ill just have to try it out lol.

Here is the TV im looking at:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...60-D1/55455421

Never have i bought a refurb tv but for that price (plus i have a 25 dollar wal mart gift card) its so hard to pass up.

If you get bored later would you mind posting a shot of the netflix cast screen at an angle? (the black screen with red netflix text) That is the reason i returned my m55, the blooming was so incredibly bad i couldnt stand it lol.

And ya about half of my viewing is at an angle.
post #7240 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
I don't get what you guys are seeing, it seems mine is better then ever by far... like FALD has been finally dialed in perfectly and I'm getting awesome black levels, you just have to make minor adjustments on each revision it seems like... Especially with Calibrated/Dark, I can simply switch between those 2 mainly and maybe back the backlight down to 45, but the other 3 of the top 4 settings are spot on, and I'm happy with color not making any color tuning changes at all, I just notice that for certain titles I have to use color of 80 (Bloodline on Netflix, 4k not HDR), which is the default on Vivid, but again after I realized just how good Calibrated/Dark is I don't even use Vivid anymore... I wonder if different batches of panels may have different black levels, I got mine from Costco right before Thanksgiving when the 65" was $999...
I'm admittedly pretty anal about black levels, so any light output on the background of rolling credits or on the letter box bars easily distracts me. I'll also admit that my viewing conditions are probably not typical (night time movie viewing with no ambient light whatsoever.)
post #7241 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Hmm really? The P55 (ips) i had before had zero blooming, and this was in a bedroom. Is P series really that much better with blacks? Maybe i will have to spend more to get the P again, was just kind of hoping to save some money and get the M, wal mart has a refurbished 60" for 650 bucks.
60" in M is IPS, yes, but the P series has double the dimming zones, better brightness and better color gamut, the latter 2 REALLY helping with HDR and if you are on here as an enthusiast I'm sure you'd appreciate that... Now that said, WalMart refurbs, well, any Vizio SmartCast refurbs will be great quality, many people returned then as they weren't technical enough to work the tablets for controlling the TV so many times nothing wrong with them at all.
post #7242 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm admittedly pretty anal about black levels, so any light output on the background of rolling credits or on the letter box bars easily distracts me. I'll also admit that my viewing conditions are probably not typical (night time movie viewing with no ambient light whatsoever.)
I am picky as well, have you tried lowering Brightness? That one setting alone will show light areas if set too high, and with things changing every firmware update may need adjustment... Try using Calibrated Dark, but what color temp and gamma do you use? That can bring out lighting issues as well. I ended up settling on Computer 2.4 for my setting and am floored how good it looks on latest beta.
post #7243 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Quote:
Mine seems better as well with 3.2.8.3. At least with SDR content. During HDR my letterboxes are always lighting up in different areas, surely due to my 32 dimming zones on the 50".
post #7244 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
I've noticed that at night, with the lights out - so very dark conditions - watching a blu-ray with letterbox - I can see that the backlight is ever so slightly on. The letterbox areas at the top and bottom of the screen should be black, but I'm getting a very dark grey-near black. FALD should turn off the LED's / Zones where the letterbox is present. Before 3.2.8.3, it worked properly. I have tried turning down the backlight, brightness, upping gamma, changing contrast, and there was absolutely no effect on those still slightly lit zones. I toggled ALZ zones, which was noticeable, but going back to ALZ on it was still there. It almost looks like an edge lit display.
Jacksomkesoplenty likes this.
post #7245 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
I see, sounds like ill just have to try it out lol.

Here is the TV im looking at:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbish...60-D1/55455421

Never have i bought a refurb tv but for that price (plus i have a 25 dollar wal mart gift card) its so hard to pass up.

If you get bored later would you mind posting a shot of the netflix cast screen at an angle? (the black screen with red netflix text) That is the reason i returned my m55, the blooming was so incredibly bad i couldnt stand it lol.

And ya about half of my viewing is at an angle.
In HDR the red Netflix logo on the black background is blooming like there's no tomorrow, but really that's not important to me. What matters to me is how actual content looks like, and the M series performs pretty well overall. My only gripe is that in HDR, the backlight just doesn't dim enough for black parts of the scene to look black. I measured a 0.01 nit black level, with ALZ on. That doesn't sound that high, but in a dark room it's very noticeable, and can be pretty distracting, obviously it also hurts HDR performance.
If I remember correctly I even tried upping the backlight to 100% on SDR and it looked the same way, but that was on an older firmware. In SDR, with my backlight set to 120nit white, black is still visible, but my meter can't even measure the level, and it's not too distracting.
Maybe Vizio is making the M not dim as much as a P55 and so it's more visible, or maybe I just have my M55-C2 to compare it to which has a very impressive native contrast (I measured 8600:1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink Bodin View Post
Mine seems better as well with 3.2.8.3. At least with SDR content. During HDR my letterboxes are always lighting up in different areas, surely due to my 32 dimming zones on the 50".
The array should be 4x8 (columns x rows), the M55-C2 is the same, and I don't think I ever noticed the black bars lighten up on mine. But obviously the FALD algorithms are probably different.

Quote:
I've noticed that at night, with the lights out - so very dark conditions - watching a blu-ray with letterbox - I can see that the backlight is ever so slightly on. The letterbox areas at the top and bottom of the screen should be black, but I'm getting a very dark grey-near black. FALD should turn off the LED's / Zones where the letterbox is present. Before 3.2.8.3, it worked properly. I have tried turning down the backlight, brightness, upping gamma, changing contrast, and there was absolutely no effect on those still slightly lit zones. I toggled ALZ zones, which was noticeable, but going back to ALZ on it was still there. It almost looks like an edge lit display.
I'm pretty sure I noticed the same, it's possible that if the film does not fit precisely into the led zone, the display would have to turn that upper most zone on too in some situations, but I'm not sure if it's really the case.
I, too, think that black bars should always be off during a movie.
sonoftumble likes this.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
post #7246 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Hmm thats odd then, the P series must just be using a higher quality panel or totally different fald algorithm.

And i agree how content behaves looks is far more important, i just have two seating positions and the blooming would likely get a little annoying to me. May still try it out anyways cause of the price, thx for info
post #7247 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I noticed the same, it's possible that if the film does not fit precisely into the led zone, the display would have to turn that upper most zone on too in some situations, but I'm not sure if it's really the case. I, too, think that black bars should always be off during a movie.
Totally agree. If the letterbox is just slightly within the zone edge, it will probably force the zone to activate. The P series might perform better in this respect. I will test tonight with a combo of less severe and more severe letterbox.

Then, to top it off, I'll torture the TV's FALD by playing a Blu-ray of "How The West Was Won" - 1963 Cinerama movie with the Smilebox Cinerama simulator letterbox. Example attached. Really good movie and it was meticulously restored frame-by-frame from 3 cameras, and re-stitched back together with the seams blended. Cinerama required 3 synced projectors.

If it's still available, definitely worth adding to your collection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 4.50.57 PM.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	2119369  
danbfree and _spasm_ like this.
post #7248 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can someone link me to some good bias lighting and give me some info about them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7249 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksomkesoplenty View Post
Can someone link me to some good bias lighting and give me some info about them.

Picked up these LED strips at IKEA. A single, flexible 197" strip for about $30. Use double sided tape. The newer ones change color.

Bias lighting reduces eye strain, and believe it or not, it makes contrast look more dynamic.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30359714/

My pictures are of the older version, but you'll get the idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2269.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2119425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2270.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	2119433  
danbfree likes this.
post #7250 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks, I have a dim cfl light that is mostly behind the tv but ive seen this bias lighting and its just as cheap as buying a good cfl light

post #7251 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I'll have to keep an eye out for letterbox lighting, haven't noticed so far in HDR, I'll try something SDR that's not, I'll have to find something SDR that has the aspect ratio with letterbox.
post #7252 of 9487 Old 05-05-2017, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2452 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Quote:
In HDR the red Netflix logo on the black background is blooming like there's no tomorrow, but really that's not important to me. What matters to me is how actual content looks like, and the M series performs pretty well overall. My only gripe is that in HDR, the backlight just doesn't dim enough for black parts of the scene to look black. I measured a 0.01 nit black level, with ALZ on. That doesn't sound that high, but in a dark room it's very noticeable, and can be pretty distracting, obviously it also hurts HDR performance.
If I remember correctly I even tried upping the backlight to 100% on SDR and it looked the same way, but that was on an older firmware. In SDR, with my backlight set to 120nit white, black is still visible, but my meter can't even measure the level, and it's not too distracting.
Maybe Vizio is making the M not dim as much as a P55 and so it's more visible, or maybe I just have my M55-C2 to compare it to which has a very impressive native contrast (I measured 8600:1).

The array should be 4x8 (columns x rows), the M55-C2 is the same, and I don't think I ever noticed the black bars lighten up on mine. But obviously the FALD algorithms are probably different.

I'm pretty sure I noticed the same, it's possible that if the film does not fit precisely into the led zone, the display would have to turn that upper most zone on too in some situations, but I'm not sure if it's really the case.
I, too, think that black bars should always be off during a movie.
You sure that logo isn't purposly doing that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.18.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7253 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@shoman94

Well it's the same logo you see in SDR too, but I haven't noticed that problem on my M55.

@Jacksomkesoplenty

Check out this thread about Bias lighting:
LED Technology For Monitor Bias Lighting Finally Matures

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
post #7254 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After updating my M65-D0 to firmware version 3.2.8.3 my audio return channel (ARC) through HDMI stopped working.

No cable changes or setup changes, just the firmware caused this to happen. Why are Vizio pushing out these updates that haven't been sufficiently tested?

Starting to piss me off!
post #7255 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

3.2.8.3 Calibration REV 4 2016 M series ( M70-D3 )

@danbfree - here's some new settings to try!

3.2.8.3 Calibration REV 4
2016 M series ( M70-D3 )

Thanks to @prme19 and @shoman94 for their guidance, advice, suggestions, etc. I think this is my best results to date.

NOTES: Getting the two point Grey Scale ( 30%, 80% ) as close to perfect as possible causes a ton of positive behaviors from the TV throughout the rest of the ISF workflow. Once those two adjustments are set, the 100% white ( Reference White ) only needed blue adjustments, and small red and green tinkering; but the rest of the 11 point was left untouched with all zeros across all levels with <2% delta errors on the graph! This also made the color tuner adjustments much more minor, and therefore probably more applicable to more M series TV’s out there. Another nice side effect is that I am seeing better black levels and FALD behavior, especially with letterbox content. The saturation sweeps and color checker charts were beautiful! This basically demonstrates just how good these TV’s are.

Give them a try. Feedback is always welcome.

M70-D3 Calibration
FW: 3.2.8.3

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 54
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 46
Color: 50
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1 - 2 ( helps with 3:2 motion issues without introducing SOE )
Reduce Motion Blur: 0
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.
Game Low Latency: Off
Pure Cinema ( 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( a.k.a. - Film Mode )
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.1

Color Tuner:
Primary Color Enabled: Turn all to On ( default )
Hue: R: 0, G: -2, B: -1, C: 0, M: -4, Y: 0
Sat: R: -5, G: -1, B: -10, C: -3, M: -5, Y: 5
Brt: R: 6, G: 8, B: -7, C: -2, M: 4, Y: -1
Ofs: R: 0, G: 2, B: 5
Gain: R: 11, G: 13, B: -16

11 Point:
5%: to 90%: No change - zeros
100%: R: 5, G: 5, B: 40
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 9.39.08 AM.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2120593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 9.38.22 AM.png
Views:	120
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	2120601  
joe221 likes this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-08-2017 at 09:04 AM.
post #7256 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2452 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Quote:
@shoman94

Well it's the same logo you see in SDR too, but I haven't noticed that problem on my M55.
You are talking about the logo that pops up when Cast is connected right? That's always SDR isn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.18.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7257 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Yes, this is good to hear from an owner, LG has absolutely improved their process over the years in both contrast and glow, that's for sure, that said let me share a mildly interesting anecdotal story that happened recently: So the wife and I wanted a new 55" 4k for the bedroom, BUT, had to be cheap...CHEAP. I know I'll upset purists here, but since we have Amazon and Netflix AND an extra Roku 4 (does 4k but not HDR), we don't care, just wanted 4k and a VA panel as we would be watching straight on in bed... So we got a "Silo" brand 55" 4k at Fry's for $300.... ya, super cheap... It was advertised as having a 4000:1 contrast ratio, so based on that, it would be a VA panel so I bite and buy it... So, we bring it home and fire it up and instantly notice it's an IPS panel, you know how you just don't get all those shades of black, the glow, but good color pop, right? I check the manual and it shows 2 rows: the 48" version that's VA with 4000:1 contrast and the 55"....1200:1, LOL... bastards at Fry's had copied and pasted the specs from the 48" when it was a completely different panel type... THAT SAID, we were freaking impressed with the thing for what it was! Had HORRIBLE sound, but had a sound bar so no biggie, but what used to be 700:1 for IPS is now a legit 1200:1 and that's a big difference at that low of a starting level. It ended up taking a Samsung remote code too, so it may have been literally a sub-brand of low-end Samsung, they of course have IPS options too... Now we took it back because I found a JVC refurb for $15 more that was confirmed 3500:1 VA panel, but you know what? If we had ANY other use for it/could have afforded to we would have kept it.
I bought an open box Vizio E55-E2 from Best Buy for $474 for our bedroom. Has a fantastic picture. As you said, the sound isn't great but I added a soundbar.

Family Room Setup: Vizio P65-C1, RBH MC-4C Fronts, RBH MC-414C Center, RBH MC-4C Surrounds, RBH TS-10AP Subwoofer, Denon X3000
Home Theater Setup: Vizio P75-C1, Energy RC-30 Fronts, Energy RC-LCR Center, Energy RC-Mini Surrounds, HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer, Denon 2313ci
post #7258 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
You are talking about the logo that pops up when Cast is connected right? That's always SDR isn't it?
I think when the DV logo appears on the loading screen it switches into DV mode, and the logo gets a lot brighter.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
post #7259 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think when the DV logo appears on the loading screen it switches into DV mode, and the logo gets a lot brighter.
Yes. It does - - - sort of. As soon as I tap the play button on an HDR title, the Netflix logo disappears, and the loading message appears. I never see the red get brighter at that point.
After I've loaded HDR content and have been playing it for a few seconds, I then tap on the stop button, and for a brief 1/2 second, the logo is noticeably brighter, and then it returns to its SDR glory. Must be that the TV detects an SDR signal and turns off DV mode.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-06-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #7260 of 9487 Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
@danbfree - here's some new settings to try!

3.2.8.3 Calibration REV 4
2016 M series ( M70-D3 )

Thanks to @prme19 and @shoman94 for their guidance, advice, suggestions, etc. I think this is my best results to date.

NOTES: Getting the two point Grey Scale ( 30%, 80% ) as close to perfect as possible causes a ton of positive behaviors from the TV throughout the rest of the ISF workflow. Once those two adjustments are set, the 100% white ( Reference White ) needed some blue adjustments, but the rest of the 11 point was left untouched with all zeros across all levels with <2% delta errors on the graph! This also made the color tuner adjustments much more minor, and therefore probably more applicable to more M series TV’s out there. Another nice side effect is that I am seeing better black levels and FALD behavior, especially with letterbox content. The saturation sweeps and color checker charts were beautiful! This basically demonstrates just how good these TV’s are.

Give them a try. Feedback is always welcome.

M70-D3 Calibration
FW: 3.2.8.3

Start with Calibrated

Basic Settings:
Backlight: 54
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 46
Color: 50
Sharpness: 2* ( *slight edge enhancement for low quality signal; i.e. 1080i/720p/cable/satellite )
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Black Detail: Off
Active LED Zones: On
Reduce Judder: 1 - 2 ( helps with 3:2 motion issues without introducing SOE )
Reduce Motion Blur: 0
Clear Action: Off
Reduce Signal Noise: Off* ( Set this to Low for crappy signal quality; i.e. same reasons as above ) - Set to “Off” for 1080P/4K/Blu-ray, etc.
Game Low Latency: Off
Pure Cinema ( 3.2.8.3 ) = On ( a.k.a. - Film Mode )
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 2.1

Color Tuner:
Primary Color Enabled: Turn all to On ( default )
Hue: R: 0, G: -2, B: -1, C: 0, M: -4, Y: 0
Sat: R: -5, G: -1, B: -10, C: -3, M: -5, Y: 5
Brt: R: 6, G: 8, B: -7, C: -2, M: 4, Y: -1
Ofs: R: 0, G: 2, B: 5
Gain: R: 11, G: 13, B: -16

11 Point:
5%: to 90%: No change - zeros
100%: R: 5, G: 5, B: 40
Anyone had problems inputting these changes? Everything was fine for me on my m65 until the 11 point white balance, I can't input changes, on the 100%, it just resets itself to 0...??

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page