Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2503Likes

post #7261 of 9488 Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtang11 View Post
Anyone had problems inputting these changes? Everything was fine for me on my m65 until the 11 point white balance, I can't input changes, on the 100%, it just resets itself to 0...??

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
It's a bug in the 3.2 firmware, feed it a 1080p signal and it'll work.
shoman94 and sonoftumble like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 9488 Old 05-06-2017, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Coolest View Post
It's a bug in the 3.2 firmware, feed it a 1080p signal and it'll work.
Awesome,thanks...that worked

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
post #7263 of 9488 Old 05-06-2017, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2452 Post(s)
Liked: 1917
Quote:
I think when the DV logo appears on the loading screen it switches into DV mode, and the logo gets a lot brighter.
Mine only shows in SDR mode.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (3.2.13.3).
My P75-C1 BETA Calibration Settings (3.3.18.1).
Vizio P75-C1 (fw-3.3.18.1), Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One, Wii
NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+

post #7264 of 9488 Old 05-06-2017, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
Can you exchange it or was it the last one on close out or something? That stuff is not normal, I bet a new one would be fine...
I was able to do exactly that. They had one left and I did a straight exchange. I've spent a solid 24 hours with the set now, and unfortunately I think I'm returning it outright and looking into another brand. I know there are plenty of people here with sets that work for them and are very happy, but I can only tell of my experience.

So, on my exchanged set everything seemed to be on the up and up out of the box. I've come to HATE the Smartcasting. The app doesn't stay connected to the set - not with the bundled Andriod tablet, my iPhone 6, or iPad Air 2. It seems like if I have the tv on longer than 15 minutes or so without interacting with the app it cannot connect unless I power the unit off and on. Annoying, but I thought I could live with it. I do have to say this is not an isolated issue, looking at the App Store I can see hundreds of reviews with the same problems as myself and it's rated a very low 2.5/5.

I decided, after setting up my 3 personal picture settings, I didn't care about the app and would just be using my Xbox anyway. Things were going just fine. Watching 4K Netflix, and UHD blu-ray with no problems and it looked phenomenal. Then, I decided to boot up a game.

About 45 seconds into Skyrim the screen completely frozen and was flashing. I assumed it was the Xbox's fault until I powered the game system off and the screen was still frozen on the Vizio. I even unplugged the Xbox to be sure. Somehow the frozen image of the game was still on the tv with the Xbox unplugged and it was flashing.

I powered down the tv and tried agian with a different game, same thing, screen freezes. So, I Google the problem, and for whatever reason, the M series seems to really not get along with the Xbox One S. If you want to watch 4K video content, fine after an annoying set up process. You want to game? You better manually go back into your settings and select to force 1080p or you will have a frozen screen every time. Then, go back into the settings and re-switch to 4K for video content. This set is too much work for me. This is not the experience I want when I'm looking to unwind with some entertainment at the end of the day. I can't even imagine my relatives figuring out how to do half of this stuff.

Hopefully, most of you here are not having anywhere near the issues that is he had. I do have to say, if you are, don't put up with it. Get a refund if you can. I almost was hypnotized by the gorgeous picture of the set, but the amount of BS that I personally experienced just to get and keep things consistently working right wasn't worth it. I'm gonna check out comparable LG and Samsung models next and hope they can come close to the picture quality of the Vizio's FLAD lighting.
post #7265 of 9488 Old 05-06-2017, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonScented View Post
I was able to do exactly that. They had one left and I did a straight exchange. I've spent a solid 24 hours with the set now, and unfortunately I think I'm returning it outright and looking into another brand. I know there are plenty of people here with sets that work for them and are very happy, but I can only tell of my experience.

So, on my exchanged set everything seemed to be on the up and up out of the box. I've come to HATE the Smartcasting. The app doesn't stay connected to the set - not with the bundled Andriod tablet, my iPhone 6, or iPad Air 2. It seems like if I have the tv on longer than 15 minutes or so without interacting with the app it cannot connect unless I power the unit off and on. Annoying, but I thought I could live with it. I do have to say this is not an isolated issue, looking at the App Store I can see hundreds of reviews with the same problems as myself and it's rated a very low 2.5/5.

I decided, after setting up my 3 personal picture settings, I didn't care about the app and would just be using my Xbox anyway. Things were going just fine. Watching 4K Netflix, and UHD blu-ray with no problems and it looked phenomenal. Then, I decided to boot up a game.

About 45 seconds into Skyrim the screen completely frozen and was flashing. I assumed it was the Xbox's fault until I powered the game system off and the screen was still frozen on the Vizio. I even unplugged the Xbox to be sure. Somehow the frozen image of the game was still on the tv with the Xbox unplugged and it was flashing.

I powered down the tv and tried agian with a different game, same thing, screen freezes. So, I Google the problem, and for whatever reason, the M series seems to really not get along with the Xbox One S. If you want to watch 4K video content, fine after an annoying set up process. You want to game? You better manually go back into your settings and select to force 1080p or you will have a frozen screen every time. Then, go back into the settings and re-switch to 4K for video content. This set is too much work for me. This is not the experience I want when I'm looking to unwind with some entertainment at the end of the day. I can't even imagine my relatives figuring out how to do half of this stuff.

Hopefully, most of you here are not having anywhere near the issues that is he had. I do have to say, if you are, don't put up with it. Get a refund if you can. I almost was hypnotized by the gorgeous picture of the set, but the amount of BS that I personally experienced just to get and keep things consistently working right wasn't worth it. I'm gonna check out comparable LG and Samsung models next and hope they can come close to the picture quality of the Vizio's FLAD lighting.
Did you get the latest firmware yet... 3.2.8.3? That solved the freezing issues for many and the tablet connectivity also....

danbfree likes this.

NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K, Antennas Direct DB4e w/Dipole OTA antenna and 2x HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #7266 of 9488 Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 185
@MoonScented thats interesting. Its been a couple of months since we've had a post about the XB1S and the Vizio not playing nice. I think the new FW for the XB1S helped fix a majority of the issues and the FW before this new one from Vizio helped out as well. You have certified monoprice cables? If this exchange is having issues like your previous one then I'm leaning towards an error in your set up.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #7267 of 9488 Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
In HDR the red Netflix logo on the black background is blooming like there's no tomorrow, but really that's not important to me. What matters to me is how actual content looks like, and the M series performs pretty well overall. My only gripe is that in HDR, the backlight just doesn't dim enough for black parts of the scene to look black. I measured a 0.01 nit black level, with ALZ on. That doesn't sound that high, but in a dark room it's very noticeable, and can be pretty distracting, obviously it also hurts HDR performance.
If I remember correctly I even tried upping the backlight to 100% on SDR and it looked the same way, but that was on an older firmware. In SDR, with my backlight set to 120nit white, black is still visible, but my meter can't even measure the level, and it's not too distracting.
Maybe Vizio is making the M not dim as much as a P55 and so it's more visible, or maybe I just have my M55-C2 to compare it to which has a very impressive native contrast (I measured 8600:1).

The array should be 4x8 (columns x rows), the M55-C2 is the same, and I don't think I ever noticed the black bars lighten up on mine. But obviously the FALD algorithms are probably different.

I'm pretty sure I noticed the same, it's possible that if the film does not fit precisely into the led zone, the display would have to turn that upper most zone on too in some situations, but I'm not sure if it's really the case.
I, too, think that black bars should always be off during a movie.
This is what I've been talking about!

Still going back and forth with support. It's a tough nut because it isn't consistent. Fingers crossed on this being related to 3.2.8.3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #7268 of 9488 Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post
This is what I've been talking about!

Still going back and forth with support. It's a tough nut because it isn't consistent. Fingers crossed on this being related to 3.2.8.3.

*Edit*

I really should keep up more, as you guys have been talking about this for two days.

post #7269 of 9488 Old 05-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any word on when the beta FW is set to go wide?

It seems some of the P series crowd not on the beta list have received it slowly, but haven't seen any updates in a while.
post #7270 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Roadwarrior123
It's already out, but it's being released in 'waves'.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #7271 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonScented View Post

The app is low rated on the Play store specifically because of all the people who don't want to deal with using an app, or for other problems with your TV if you notice but honestly the app has improved leaps and bounds over the last 6 months and I have very few problems... but sometimes it isn't the best setup for people if they can't hardwire the TV to their internet especially if you don't have a strong 5Ghz connection instead... What firmware did it update to when first set up the new replacement?
post #7272 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently got the M70-D3, I also have the SB4551-5 surround speakers and an Xbox One S. Why did vizio make the arc input the same as the HDR? This made it impossible to use HDR and arc at the same time. The surround speakers wont pass the 4K and HDR signal. I am really puzzled why they would do this. The only options I can see at this point is use optical connection, to free up the HDMI port. The downside is, I will lose the ability to power the surround on/off when the TV turns on, and control volume by tv. Does anyone have another scenario? Will any other ports work as ARC? For now I put the xbox on HDMI 5, but lose the ability to use HDR.
post #7273 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishruler View Post
I recently got the M70-D3, I also have the SB4551-5 surround speakers and an Xbox One S. Why did vizio make the arc input the same as the HDR? This made it impossible to use HDR and arc at the same time. The surround speakers wont pass the 4K and HDR signal. I am really puzzled why they would do this. The only options I can see at this point is use optical connection, to free up the HDMI port. The downside is, I will lose the ability to power the surround on/off when the TV turns on, and control volume by tv. Does anyone have another scenario? Will any other ports work as ARC? For now I put the xbox on HDMI 5, but lose the ability to use HDR.
I use an optical and my LG soundbar turns on/off and controls volume with the TV (and cable and it's own remote), just enable CEC instead of ARC... keep in mind that 1-4 DO have HDR and that's fine for video watching but yes, for 60Hz/60 FPS HDR Gaming, you do have to use HDMI 1.
post #7274 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@irishruler

Vizio soundbars don't support advanced formats, so there's little benefit of connecting it through ARC, as optical will do the same job.
I guess it was done this way so you could have a single HDMI cable connecting your 4K\HDR capable receiver to the display. What Vizio should've done with their 2016 series soundbars is added 4K\HDR passtrhough support.
EliFTW and Jacksomkesoplenty like this.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
post #7275 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior123 View Post
Any word on when the beta FW is set to go wide?

It seems some of the P series crowd not on the beta list have received it slowly, but haven't seen any updates in a while.
My M65 just received it after a service check.
post #7276 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Is the on screen interface the update you guys are talking about? Or is that still a couple months away. Ive got an E from 2016 that will be going into a different room, still considering M65 refurb from wal mart.

Actually after much searching i found it (you need to actually type model number into vizio's site, just going to product page has no info):
https://support.vizio.com/s/article/...language=en_US

47.17 tip to tip, my tv stand is exactly 47.25" lol. So i guess technically it would fit.
danbfree and sonoftumble like this.

Last edited by Fascinate; 05-08-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #7277 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
I use an optical and my LG soundbar turns on/off and controls volume with the TV (and cable and it's own remote), just enable CEC instead of ARC... keep in mind that 1-4 DO have HDR and that's fine for video watching but yes, for 60Hz/60 FPS HDR Gaming, you do have to use HDMI 1.
Hey @danbfree . I posted new calibration settings on Saturday, but I think you may have been off the grid for the weekend. After viewing tons of content this weekend, these are really, really, good.

Check them out. Post 7255 - 1 page back.
joe221 likes this.
post #7278 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Hey @danbfree . I posted new calibration settings on Saturday, but I think you may have been off the grid for the weekend. After viewing tons of content this weekend, these are really, really, good.

Link for the lazy: Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread

I havent had a chance to plug in the new ones yet. I see the calibration police didnt comment about your contrast going down to 46? lol. If I left it at 50 what would the difference be? Hope to get to these this week.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #7279 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yep, did go offline for the weekend, I'll check those out right now.

Edit: I used your settings under computer 2.4 and really like them.. I know you tuned for a different color, but on a scale of 1-15 it's like dropping the overall gramma from a 13 to a 10, so kinda makes sense the color tune is still pretty spot on!
sonoftumble likes this.

Last edited by danbfree; 05-08-2017 at 07:06 PM.
post #7280 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, settled on using 47 brightness, 44 contrast, computer 2.4... All the rest, rev 3 including color tuner and 11 PT. Looks great!
sonoftumble likes this.
post #7281 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post

I havent had a chance to plug in the new ones yet. I see the calibration police didnt comment about your contrast going down to 46? lol. If I left it at 50 what would the difference be? Hope to get to these this week.
LOL. I used three different contrast patterns and kept getting the same result. If I bumped the contrast to 47, the +1% bar on the near white disappeared. Same thing with the pluge - it would white out anything over 240. Same thing with flashing star patterns. Changing the backlight did not make much, if any of a difference. Might be a 3.2.8.3 thing? If you move contrast to 50, it's going to clip at the 100% level. Probably won't notice as very little content drives the TV @ 100%, but that is the reference white. Either way, I think you will like the picture and the colors rock, yet it is smoother and not over-saturated. One thing I've noticed is that I don't have to make any adjustments other than gamma and slight backlight tweaks for almost any content - i.e. AppleTV, Blu-ray, Netflix casting, DirecTV 4K, 2K content, etc. Even the local newscasts are easier to watch.
wmarkw likes this.
post #7282 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, settled on using 47 brightness, 44 contrast, computer 2.4... All the rest, rev 3 including color tuner and 11 PT. Looks great!
You meant Rev 4 - right? The calibration with the minimal tweaks to the color tuner, and only 100% changes with the 11 point? Just making sure.
danbfree likes this.
post #7283 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you leave it at 50 it will clip where it's suppose to.... Video/limited White 235-237. If you drop it to 46 them you clip at 253-255 which is computer RGB White. But it will also change his calibration of you use it but with contrast at 50.

wmarkw likes this.

Last edited by shoman94; 05-08-2017 at 08:35 PM.
post #7284 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
@sonoftumble

I'm actually using them on Vivid (for the nits!) with a backlight of 60, contrast and brightness at 50, and color at 54. 2.2 gamma. Looks great.

*Edit* Color temp is computer.

sonoftumble likes this.
post #7285 of 9488 Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
If you leave it at 50 it will clip where it's suppose to.... Video/limited White 235-237. If you drop it to 46 them you clip at 253-255 which is computer RGB White. But it will also change his calibration of you use it but with contrast at 50.

When I tried to set contrast above 46, the +1 bar disappeared on the near white pattern. Clipping was around 248. Spectracal recommends a setting that will clip at 250, but again, I was simply trying to get the +1 bar to show and not worry about where it was clipping. The +4 bar stayed white. Backlight adjustments did not really make a difference, otherwise I would have set the contrast to 50 and left it at that. In the next couple of days I'll run another session with contrast locked at 50.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 05-08-2017 at 10:26 PM.
post #7286 of 9488 Old 05-09-2017, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
When I tried to set contrast above 46, the +1 bar disappeared on the near white pattern. Clipping was around 248. Spectracal recommends a setting that will clip at 250, but again, I was simply trying to get the +1 bar to show and not worry about where it was clipping. The +4 bar stayed white. Backlight adjustments did not really make a difference, otherwise I would have set the contrast to 50 and left it at that. In the next couple of days I'll run another session with contrast locked at 50.
Cast from YouTube the white clipping pattern that blinks and see where you land.

post #7287 of 9488 Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Is it possible to set the settings once for each input? I put these in for the input I watch cable through but would rather not do it for all the other inputs I use unless necessary.

Also side note: I enjoy this tv a lot more than before after receiving the replacement model that no longer randomly shuts off when I watch it.
post #7288 of 9488 Old 05-09-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@vikefan24

Nope, settings are tied to color temperature (Normal, Computer, Cool) and to format (SDR, HDR10 and DV).

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
post #7289 of 9488 Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With everyone posting calibration settings, I wanted to give my thoughts on the 3.2.8.3 beta firmware after a week examining it.

Without a doubt, this is the best the TV has looked since the purchase. Throughout the various firmware updates that have come out since HDR10 was introduced, and the various compatibility issues with the Xbox One S, I've been somewhat obnoxious about toying with the settings. I would often test UHD disc after UHD disc trying to find and understand the best picture quality. I often found that either it wasn't giving much if any difference between the SDR version unless I used a tweaked version of the Vivid settings (based on the CNET review). This was certainly brighter and gave HDR much more of a punch, but it often caused massive issues with blown-out colors. Not all content was this way, sometimes it was just the color red would be obviously too red. This was true even with the default Calibrated HDR10 settings on content like "Mad Max: Fury Road."

Now that is not the case. Using the default Calibrated settings with HDR with a gamma of 2.2, I've yet to see any colors blown out. For the first time, the sandstorm sequence in "Mad Max: Fury Road" does not exhibit bizarrely overblown reds within the tornado. It looks spectacular. And with this, the rest of the color spectrum exhibits more noticeable pop. The highlights are certainly quite spectacular. Now, I will say that I do not leave it at the default 50 for the backlight. I know some here say to just adjust the gamma when in daylight but I found that it caused the blacks to be quite milky if I bumped it higher. I instead found the backlight can be reasonably adjusted with little issue. The only sequence that was negatively impacted by this adjustment was the desert scene in "Independence Day," which caused the white sand to mildly blow out a tad if raised above 70.

The only UHD disc I'm not as impressed with as some reviewers is "The Revenant" and this may be purely due to the lack of WCG. It is impressive, especially in motion. And still an upgrade from the Blu-ray that I'm glad to own, but not the earth-shattering one that people often describe. If you mess with the settings, sure. But then you run the risk of tampering with accuracy.

I'm very impressed with how Vizio keeps improving this display post-launch. I hope additional tweaks are inbound. I know that we are missing WCG and true 10-bit. And perhaps that would make some HDR content even better (like "The Revenant"), but I have to stop caring about those thing and enjoy it for what it is: a beautiful 70 inch display.
wmarkw, danbfree and sixofsvn like this.
post #7290 of 9488 Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, looks like there is still too much variety of settings needed per input/title/source, but thanks to @sonoftumble the color tuning looks great! I put them into both Computer and Normal colors so I can tweak from there... It seems like there are still adjustments needed for my On Demand (contrast 60 or can't see any detail), BUT the important thing is that the colors are awesome and from here I can set up profiles for different kinds of content. I have one for HDR, one for Comcast, and Comcast On Demand. By just sticking to Calibrated/Dark and using the color tuning settings established you narrow down the tweaking needed significantly.

@sonoftumble : I did notice that only 100% is available for 11 pt with the on-screen menus, but the full selection is available through the app... Do you think by going through the app that you can get a more fine color tune?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page