Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - Page 276 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2502Likes

post #8251 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
I was leery of the Casting and now I absolutely hate it and end up watching my 2015 M60-C3 for everything except live sports and news.
I chatted online w a vizio rep and he stated that there is definitely an update for this summer which will include apps baked in and available to download onto tv itself. Also a mew remote to go w tv so you wont have to rely on the tablet or casting at all suposedly. Hopefuly it happens

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
yanks1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 06:48 AM

New M70-d3 owner here with few questions. I tried searching this post but have a hard time with 826 total pages to read.

First i have a roku priemer plus and cant figure out which hdmi port to plug into? Which is the best to plug into for 4k/uhd content? My tivio cable box really doesnt matter which port as it isnt 4k anyway.

Next up, Anybody out there have a specific calibration for sports? Looking for a sports only calibration

Last question. I calibrated my tv using the settings on the website rtings.com specificaly for the 2016 vizio m series. Heres the link rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016/settings. Whats you guys opinion on these settings?

Thanks for any help!

post #8253 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankyshooter View Post
New M70-d3 owner here with few questions. I tried searching this post but have a hard time with 826 total pages to read.

First i have a roku priemer plus and cant figure out which hdmi port to plug into? Which is the best to plug into for 4k/uhd content? My tivio cable box really doesnt matter which port as it isnt 4k anyway.

Next up, Anybody out there have a specific calibration for sports? Looking for a sports only calibration

Last question. I calibrated my tv using the settings on the website rtings.com specificaly for the 2016 vizio m series. Heres the link rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2016/settings. Whats you guys opinion on these settings?

Thanks for any help!

Use these settings: Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread

I run all my components (RKP+, XB1S, BD Player) through my Denon AVR to the HDMI1 on the Vizio. If you dont have a AVR to handle switching and if your only 4k device is the Roku P+ then i'd lean HDMI 1 but it can work on 2-4 and you will still get HDR/4k signals.
Ryan1 and sonoftumble like this.

post #8254 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
The rtings settings were for a different model M, and are based on year-old firmware. The link that @wmarkw was kind enough to post are based on the latest ( 3.2.13.3 ) available firmware. There isn't a specific calibration for watching sports. The whole point of calibrating is to get your TV to accurately produce grey scales and colors that match with the original source, and the performance standards of studios, mastering houses, and broadcast networks. Sports will look great with these settings, and the M series is notable for having great motion performance. You could use my calibration settings, and then if you still feel the need to improve motion handling, you could turn on "Clear Action" and bump up the backlight to 100. You might want to have two custom picture modes; one for watching movies and regular TV, and the other for watching sports. That way you can easily switch back and forth between the two modes. The only difference would be turning on "Clear Action" and turning up the backlight for the "Sports" mode.

Turning on Clear Action will dim down the TV as it inserts black frames to smooth things out, which is why you need to crank the backlight.

Let me know if you decide to try my settings. Feedback is welcome.

P.S.

EDIT: I added the below HDR-10 settings details to that calibration link:

HDR-10
Basic Settings - Same as Rev 5 except:
Backlight: 60
Color: 51

Color Tuner
Offset: R: -6, G: 1, B: 0
Gain: R: 7, G: 2, B: -17
All other settings leave at zero

11 Point
Leave all at zero
Ryan1, wmarkw, yanks1 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 06-27-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #8255 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought m55-d0 last week. Everything was going fine till last Saturday night. When we are watching movies (from xbox one s - hdmi1), the tv suddenly restarted (everything had been black, then the Vizio logo had appeared before the content came back). It happened twice although all other electronic devices were still working normally, including the Xbox. Yesterday, we used it whole day but nothing happened. However, today, I just watched it in 1 hour and that problem came back twice (Different electric source). So, does anyone get the same problem with me?
post #8256 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long H. Do View Post
I bought m55-d0 last week. Everything was going fine till last Saturday night. When we are watching movies (from xbox one s - hdmi1), the tv suddenly restarted (everything had been black, then the Vizio logo had appeared before the content came back). It happened twice although all other electronic devices were still working normally, including the Xbox. Yesterday, we used it whole day but nothing happened. However, today, I just watched it in 1 hour and that problem came back twice (Different electric source). So, does anyone get the same problem with me?
Have you tried a factory reset. There could be some config file corruption that is causing the TV to reboot. A reset will blow out the old files in favor of fresh. You will have to re-do things, but it might be worth it.

I had a few random reboots with FW 3.2.8.3, but no issues so far with 3.2.13.3.
post #8257 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
The rtings settings were for a different model M, and are based on year-old firmware. The link that @wmarkw was kind enough to post are based on the latest ( 3.2.13.3 ) available firmware. There isn't a specific calibration for watching sports. The whole point of calibrating is to get your TV to accurately produce grey scales and colors that match with the original source, and the performance standards of studios, mastering houses, and broadcast networks. Sports will look great with these settings, and the M series is notable for having great motion performance. You could use my calibration settings, and then if you still feel the need to improve motion handling, you could turn on "Clear Action" and bump up the backlight to 100. You might want to have two custom picture modes; one for watching movies and regular TV, and the other for watching sports. That way you can easily switch back and forth between the two modes. The only difference would be turning on "Clear Action" and turning up the backlight for the "Sports" mode.

Turning on Clear Action will dim down the TV as it inserts black frames to smooth things out, which is why you need to crank the backlight.

P.S.

HDR-10

Color Tuner

11 Point
Leave all at zero
Are the added settings only for the hd10 only?

post #8258 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Correct. In fact they can only be inputted when playing HDR-10 content and the TV is obviously in HDR-10 mode. The TV will load different settings tables depending on what mode you are in at the time.

That rule applies for SDR, HDR-10 and Dolby Vision signals. If you aren't getting HDR-10 you would overwrite the SDR settings you have already inputted.

The Smartcast app's Settings/System/System Info/Display Info page will say when you're getting an HDR-10 signal.

Last edited by sonoftumble; 06-27-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #8259 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Correct. In fact they can only be inputted when playing HDR-10 content and the TV is obviously in HDR-10 mode. The TV load will different settings tables depending on what mode you are in at the time.

That rule applies for SDR, HDR-10 and Dolby Vision signals. If you aren't getting HDR-10 you would overwrite the SDR settings you have already inputted.

The Smartcast app's Settings/System/System Info/Display Info page will say when you're getting an HDR-10 signal.
Hopefuly last question 4 you. In your rev 5 you said to follow for calibration, it says to set sharpness at 2, wanted to verify it was a 2 and not 20

post #8260 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hopefuly last question 4 you. In your rev 5 you said to follow for calibration, it says to set sharpness at 2, wanted to verify it was a 2 and not 20

Yep. Really is only 2. Creates a slight edge enhancement without introducing artifacts.
post #8261 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:

P.S.

HDR-10

Color Tuner

11 Point
Leave all at zero
Followed all you calibration settings and also found a hdr10 netflix stream and verfied in settings it was casting hdr10 and looks great so far. Had to run out so will get to watch some more tonight. Thanks for the help.

post #8262 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Followed all ur reccomended cal settings and also found a netflox hdr10 stream and verified in settings and made thise adjustments also. Looks great so far didnt have much time to eatch very much but looks great so far. Thanks for the help. I imagine not the last question i willbe posting as i never really got into much in settings of tv except plug it in n play lol

sonoftumble likes this.
post #8263 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Followed all ur reccomended cal settings and also found a netflox hdr10 stream and verified in settings and made thise adjustments also. Looks great so far didnt have much time to eatch very much but looks great so far. Thanks for the help. I imagine not the last question i willbe posting as i never really got into much in settings of tv except plug it in n play lol

Always happy to help a fellow M owner ( especially M70 ). Hope you enjoy the TV as much as I have.
post #8264 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM

I hope so! Just making the jump into 4k and all so its a little confusing!

post #8265 of 9483 Old 06-27-2017, 11:29 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have any idea how we will obtain the "new updated" remote to access onscreen displays??
post #8266 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 12:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 904
@Starchild2

You can contact Vizio via chat or email and request the new remote.

HCFR 3.4.4 | Git branch
Vizio M60-D1 | T95M with LibreELEC | Vizio SB3851-D0 | Calibration + Settings
Vizio M55-C2 | T95N with LibreELEC | Calibration + Settings
post #8267 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild2 View Post
Does anyone have any idea how we will obtain the "new updated" remote to access onscreen displays??
Spoke to vizio this morning and all they need is your model and serial number for the new remote. Takes 7 to 10 days at this point but said may be sooner. Asked about the new update coming oit for the tv that gives built in apps and ability to avvess setting via the tv and not the tablet remote and rep stated he hears that b4 the end of july the update will be out.

Starchild2 likes this.
post #8268 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 76
For those of you who have not received the new Vizio XRT135 remote and are using Harmony remotes for your 2016 M-Series displays, I received the following email response from Logitech:

Sunday, June 25, 2017 5:03 PM
Is Logitech updating their Harmony database to support the new Vizio XRT135 remote functions for the Vizio 2016 M-Series displays? I received the new remote from Vizio but I would much rather use my Harmony remote for this new functionality.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 12:54 PM
Thank you for notifying us about the Vizio XRT135 remote. For your information, we have updated the Vizio 2016 M-Series display profiles with the new remote commands in our Harmony database. Delete and readd your device, revisit the Activities and see if that addresses your concern.
SVHarmony (Logitech)
maverikm, wmarkw and Starchild2 like this.

4K/HDR Display: Vizio M65-D0
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-530K
Media Player: Nvidia Shield TV 2017
OTA HD Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect and Live Channels app
Remote: Logitech Harmony 700
HDMI Cables: Monoprice Premium Certified 18Gbs
post #8269 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good Afternoon All,

I have what I hope is a quick question. I purchased a vizio 2016 m series 55". It has 4 HDMI ports. When I look at the website rtings.com it refers to the 5th hdmi input as the low latency one. Would that mean my tv does not have a low latency input for gaming ? I have a ps4 pro that is plugged into hdmi4 and I'm wondering if I should just leave it plugged into hdmi1 for any hdr titles I have so I don't have to switch. Thanks so much for any help, this has been my go to thread for setups and calibrations.
post #8270 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Spoke to vizio this morning and all they need is your model and serial number for the new remote. Takes 7 to 10 days at this point but said may be sooner. Asked about the new update coming oit for the tv that gives built in apps and ability to avvess setting via the tv and not the tablet remote and rep stated he hears that b4 the end of july the update will be out.

Just a quick clarification. The on-screen menu's were added when FW 3.2.8.3 came out. We're just waiting for the on-screen app interface at this point. I have an older Vizio smart TV that's just used for watching DTV - so I absconded its remote and it works great on my M70. For calibrating, I still prefer the mobile app because I don't have to exit a particular setting adjustment screen to get the meter to read correctly.
post #8271 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpa Derpo View Post
Good Afternoon All,

I have what I hope is a quick question. I purchased a vizio 2016 m series 55". It has 4 HDMI ports. When I look at the website rtings.com it refers to the 5th hdmi input as the low latency one. Would that mean my tv does not have a low latency input for gaming ? I have a ps4 pro that is plugged into hdmi4 and I'm wondering if I should just leave it plugged into hdmi1 for any hdr titles I have so I don't have to switch. Thanks so much for any help, this has been my go to thread for setups and calibrations.
Yep. Unfortunately, you need to go with an 2016 M60 or larger to get that 5th HDMI low-latency port.
post #8272 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

P.S.

HDR-10

Color Tuner

11 Point
Leave all at zero
@Spankyshooter I also have the M55-D0 and have been using @sonoftumble calibration settings for the last few updates. I watch a lot football and baseball on mine and can say his settings do in fact still look great on sports programs (and as he will acknowledge there are slight differences in panels so there have been a few say they aren't great) but it works for mine as blacks are great, skin tones are true and looks good on most programming. I will echo his statement about the Backlight (I haven't really had to use "clear action" as things still look good with it off), I bump it up to about 60 when watching the Astros - with the exception of the other night I watched my first direcTV 4K baseball broadcast, I had to move it up to 85 to really get everything to pop like you would expect from higher definition programming. I havent had a chance to play with the HDR-10 settings yet, but hopefully will soon.

I hope you are really enjoying the display and his calibration settings work for you!

And just a quick note on the "On-Screen" menu update for those that have been posting the last couple weeks asking about it and ready to completely do away with "Casting"...from what I am understanding as of now there are only a few apps that will be available (I assume more will continue as they release updates following the major one we're all looking forward to this summer). As of right now Netflix has not been announced or advertised as one of the apps that will be available as an on-screen selection...I only bring up Netflix because it's one of the most used and most mentioned. Unless anyone has heard differently to this point (which would be awesome) do not expect to be able to stop casting Netflix at this point of what we know.
sonoftumble likes this.
post #8273 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Apologies if this has been asked before, but for the new roku I noticed I had to turn on full uhd color, now I know the m series does not have a wide color gamut...so is anyone leaving it off or on, if left on should I turn it off when not using the roku?
post #8274 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Next question, on vudu and netflix I noticed that on the roku it says HDR but on the tablet it says HDR no? Am I missing something?
post #8275 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before, but for the new roku I noticed I had to turn on full uhd color, now I know the m series does not have a wide color gamut...so is anyone leaving it off or on, if left on should I turn it off when not using the roku?
"Full UHD Color" actually has nothing to do with whether or not your TV has Wide Color Gamut capabilities. Before FW 3.2.8.3 was released, the name of that setting was "Color Subsampling" which is actually more appropriate in terms of its function. Here's a excellent short read on what all that means, and why it doesn't really matter unless you're going to connect a gaming console or computer to the HDMI 1 or HDMI 5 ports. From rtings.com: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

Next, @danbfree , one of our members, posted this handy piece of advice as to the best way to setup your Roku.

"Roku was setup as 60Hz AND HDR so when you toggled off subsampling on the display you disabled the capability to do both at once, it couldn't process that signal from the Roku... if you had then powered off Roku and back on, it would have connected at 4k@60Hz but no HDR... So if you actually want to run content in it's 24Hz native AND HDR you are actually better off using ports 2-4 and re-running the display setup on Roku. For some reason Roku doesn't allow forcing refresh, even in any secret menus so if you use port 1, you don't get the option for 24Hz, just 60Hz period, including HDR if subsampling/deep color is enabled, and regular 4k@60Hz no HDR if it's disabled."

Hope this makes sense. Basically you should power off the Roku, connect it to HDMI 2-4, power back up, run through the Roku display setup again and you should be set.
danbfree likes this.
post #8276 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Next question, on vudu and netflix I noticed that on the roku it says HDR but on the tablet it says HDR no? Am I missing something?
Some titles are only HDR10 and casting doesn't support that I believe... Not that it can't but for some reason the apps seem to have exclusive DV licenses, but that this all may have changed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
sonoftumble likes this.
post #8277 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't want to hog this thread, but I know the answer. It's pretty quick and simple.

Roku will indicate HDR in the program summary, and if you use the Netflix app on the Vizio tablet ( Android version ), you will see the Dolby Vision logo in the program summary. First, do a search for "HDR", select a show, and you should see what I'm talking about. IMPORTANT: If you use the iOS version of Netflix, it will NOT indicate HDR or Dolby Vision. That's why it's important to do an "HDR" search first. The Roku is HDR-10 only. If you want Dolby Vision, you have to cast. For best results when casting, launch Netflix and then cast connect to the TV before doing the "HDR" search. For 4K content, change the search to "UHD".
ryanlaflamme likes this.
post #8278 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbfree View Post
Some titles are only HDR10 and casting doesn't support that I believe... Not that it can't but for some reason the apps seem to have exclusive DV licenses, but that this all may have changed.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
There's one HDR-10 title available in Netflix casting that I am aware of: "Meridian" There are two listed. The second one down is HDR-10/60Hz. The first one is SDR.
post #8279 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"Full UHD Color" actually has nothing to do with whether or not your TV has Wide Color Gamut capabilities. Before FW 3.2.8.3 was released, the name of that setting was "Color Subsampling" which is actually more appropriate in terms of its function. Here's a excellent short read on what all that means, and why it doesn't really matter unless you're going to connect a gaming console or computer to the HDMI 1 or HDMI 5 ports. From rtings.com: http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

Next, @danbfree , one of our members, posted this handy piece of advice as to the best way to setup your Roku.

"Roku was setup as 60Hz AND HDR so when you toggled off subsampling on the display you disabled the capability to do both at once, it couldn't process that signal from the Roku... if you had then powered off Roku and back on, it would have connected at 4k@60Hz but no HDR... So if you actually want to run content in it's 24Hz native AND HDR you are actually better off using ports 2-4 and re-running the display setup on Roku. For some reason Roku doesn't allow forcing refresh, even in any secret menus so if you use port 1, you don't get the option for 24Hz, just 60Hz period, including HDR if subsampling/deep color is enabled, and regular 4k@60Hz no HDR if it's disabled."

Hope this makes sense. Basically you should power off the Roku, connect it to HDMI 2-4, power back up, run through the Roku display setup again and you should be set.
My bad, just didn't have to go over this in previous posts, will give it a try thanks again.
post #8280 of 9483 Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
I chatted online w a vizio rep and he stated that there is definitely an update for this summer which will include apps baked in and available to download onto tv itself. Also a mew remote to go w tv so you wont have to rely on the tablet or casting at all suposedly. Hopefuly it happens
Yes, we heard about this a couple of months ago and not only is that all completely true, many of us already got the new remote free for being on the Beta program... I had gotten used to the tablet/phone system but now it is nice to grab the remote and adjust settings on the screen for now, the apps we are still waiting on...
wmarkw and sonoftumble like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page