Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1706Likes

post #1 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Official 2016 Vizio M-Series Owner's Thread

@thomasfxlt continues to update Post #1 of the 2016 P-Series owner's thread with a wealth of information about these displays. There are differences between the M and P Series, but their similarities are far greater. I advise any newcomers to this thread to read the first post over there as it covers many of the often-repeated questions in this thread.

I think we are due for a dedicated thread.

I received my M70-D3 this morning. The delivery company was a few hours ahead of schedule. As the they tapped their feet waiting for me to sign their form, my kids bounced from couch to couch screaming "IT'S SOOO BIG!" Last night I had taken down the tv that is older than both of them, a 2007 50" 720p Panny plasma (which was much heavier than this Vizio). I looked at my old Vann's receipt email... I ordered this Vizio 9 years and 2 days after ordering the plasma. But enough of that I suppose...

I don't have much of a review at this point. I got it unboxed, held my breath until I got the plastic out of the way to see the screen was in pristine shape. Plugged it in, booted it up... flawless. I signed and let the guys go on their way (pointing out the big bold letters by my signature stating to not sign until the unit had been powered on and inspected. Anyhow... be mindful. Whatever they try to tell you, get it out and on and inspected before you let them have the signature.

I'm hardly a videophile -- I usually spoon my play money towards audio (I never even owned a 1080p tv) -- but I will do my best to help out with the evaluation of the display. For now, here are a few pictures I snapped. I couldn't stay home to play for long. Click for full size.

Fortunately I had read past remarks of folks being scared by this screen. If I didn't know the background was supposed to be so blotchy, I might have been worried about uniformity.

I was commanded to put on something for the kids/

Forgive the hanging wires. I will not sleep until that is fixed. The distance from my wall penetration to the ports on this display is far greater than it was on the old one. Longer cables needed.

I'll have more later. Other owners and prospective owners, please chime in.
Chuck666, VBB, mpgxsvcd and 5 others like this.

Last edited by baniels; 08-03-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Could you be a bro and check out season 4 episode 1 of Lost on netflix go to 21:10 and post a picture of evangeline lily holding the phone? I recently had a P series and it looked GREAT on there but i returned it because poor audio and i had very bad light bloom and bright corners. There are no P series near me now i think i may give the M a shot given the fact they have 15w speakers vs 10w, but i gotta know if the M does a good of job as the P on low bandwidth sources like older series on netflix (like lost) as that is most of my viewing.
post #3 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure. I'll do that this evening.

According to the Vizio site, only the 65 and 55 have 15w speakers - the rest have 10w. Maybe you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
Could you be a bro and check out season 4 episode 1 of Lost on netflix go to 21:10 and post a picture of evangeline lily holding the phone? I recently had a P series and it looked GREAT on there but i returned it because poor audio and i had very bad light bloom and bright corners. There are no P series near me now i think i may give the M a shot given the fact they have 15w speakers vs 10w, but i gotta know if the M does a good of job as the P on low bandwidth sources like older series on netflix (like lost) as that is most of my viewing.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

post #4 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked: 2386
Red face

Quote:
Please note that the most important thing for judging lower quality content is the settings used. You MUST alter the settings from the default values in order to get the best performance with lower quality and overly compressed sources. My recommendations for the P-series are in my signature. They should all apply to the M-series as well.

Enjoy your new Display. Try the Great Gatsby on Vudu. It should play in HDR and look good. The only thing you will be missing from the P-series will be the full color spectrum and the full 10 bit processing. That may or may not present an issue.

Last edited by mpgxsvcd; 06-23-2016 at 12:53 PM.
post #5 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink

Quote:
I will try to post the same picture from the P-series with my settings tonight for comparison.
post #6 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM

Very cool much appreciated. I actually had the P it was amazing on lower quality content, and i was just on "calibrated" im just hoping the M can come close. And yep im aware of the speakers, the 55" is the one im interested in (for bedroom).
post #7 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
My recommendations for the P-series on in my signature. They should all apply to the M-series as well.
That's great to hear. I will try those out tonight.
post #8 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The only thing you will be missing from the P-series will be the full color spectrum and the full 10 bit processing. That may or may not present an issue.
Hopefully it is missing the annoying yellow band the P65 was notorious for too.
post #9 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlubricity View Post
Hopefully it is missing the annoying yellow band the P65 was notorious for too.
The band wasn't annoying and it really shouldn't have been notorious for it either. Blown WAY out of proportion.
post #10 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
The band wasn't annoying and it really shouldn't have been notorious for it either. Blown WAY out of proportion.
It was annoying enough to me for me to return mine to Best Buy. Hoping the M70 doesn't exhibit the same issue.
post #11 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 01:37 PM

Man this is a tough choice lol. Do you guys think the M would be a better TV than the sony 810c? Its on sale for 899 right now. Reason i have limited my choices to sony and vizio is ive realized i despise built in smart interfaces, and i want 4k chromecast this only comes with the 2016 vizios and 2015/2016 sony's (or other android TV's i guess too, but those are off brands). Wish i had a BB closer to me, hour and a half to return tv's is a pain lol.
post #12 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was pleased to see that Logitech has a number of IR codes for my Harmony One. Far more than the basic remote they include. I was not looking forward to opening an app to switch inputs, or using an input cycle button.

Here are the discrete commands I see in the MyHarmony app.

Edit: This appears to work by the Harmony keeping track of the current input and cycling through to the proper one, rather than a direct input selection. Not what I expected, but it work okay as long as the remote is aimed long enough.

Last edited by baniels; 06-24-2016 at 04:56 AM.
post #13 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is making the decision harder, I'm not a videophile by any means, just like a nice quality image. I was debating the P65 tomorrow when it's available in Canada, the m70 has really got me thinking.
post #14 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 02:30 PM

Welp i said screw it, picking up the M55 tonite ill post pics when i got her up and setup : )

Here's to hoping the speakers are at least audible lol.
LG4k and vulsker like this.
post #15 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Welp i said screw it, picking up the M55 tonite ill post pics when i got her up and setup : )

Here's to hoping the speakers are at least audible lol.
Can you also let us know how the motion and everything is? I am looking at the 55" and the 60" and the 55" is just 60hz while the 60" is missing in action lol

Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One S - Playstation 4 Pro
post #16 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 04:05 PM

Any pics with a pure white screen would be super-helpful too. Trying to assess uniformity before I pull the trigger on an M70.
Cerebrex likes this.
post #17 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 06:53 PM

I think i got a decent panel, at least when viewed straight on.

Netflix cast screen.
http://imgur.com/Lj53m81

Full white screen:
http://imgur.com/YJEwMEl

Netflix casting screen at an angle (look quite terrible):
http://imgur.com/HzmwOxJ

This panel seems to have a ton of blooming when viewed from an angle, looks pretty good straight on tho. Anything else you guys want me to check? I dont know how to check motion i game on a PC, are there any tests you guys want me to run? Sorry for pic quality, its best my phone can muster lol.

Also the audio is a little better but not much, still have to turn on volume leveling or the dialogue is inaudible ill prob have to get a soundbar it seems.

Casting is also working flawless, getting 4k perfectly thru netflix and youtube and dolby showed up for marco polo. Ive been saving marco polo and glad i did, from the 1 minute i watched it looked outstanding.

All that said who knows if ill keep it, the blooming from an angle is atrocious. Like when netflix shows are buffering to start up and its just white letters at the bottom of the screen there is a TON of blooming from an angle, but straight on it disappears completely and looks great.

One other thing, this is all just using the calibrated preset. Dolby is also working with calibrated preset instead of needed to be on calibrated dark (i checked and i was lowering backlight).
mpgxsvcd and HVAC Guru like this.

Last edited by Fascinate; 06-23-2016 at 07:12 PM.
post #18 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I think i got a decent panel, at least when viewed straight on.

Netflix cast screen.
http://imgur.com/Lj53m81

Full white screen:
http://imgur.com/YJEwMEl

Netflix casting screen at an angle (look quite terrible):
http://imgur.com/HzmwOxJ

This panel seems to have a ton of blooming when viewed from an angle, looks pretty good straight on tho. Anything else you guys want me to check? I dont know how to check motion i game on a PC, are there any tests you guys want me to run? Sorry for pic quality, its best my phone can muster lol.

Also the audio is a little better but not much, still have to turn on volume leveling or the dialogue is inaudible ill prob have to get a soundbar it seems.

Casting is also working flawless, getting 4k perfectly thru netflix and youtube and dolby showed up for marco polo. Ive been saving marco polo and glad i did, from the 1 minute i watched it looked outstanding.

All that said who knows if ill keep it, the blooming from an angle is atrocious. Like when netflix shows are buffering to start up and its just white letters at the bottom of the screen there is a TON of blooming from an angle, but straight on it disappears completely and looks great.

One other thing, this is all just using the calibrated preset. Dolby is also working with calibrated preset instead of needed to be on calibrated dark (i checked and i was lowering backlight).
Anything that is fast paced should at least how the motion works. I also know there is a website that another user posted that he used to use on his P that does some scrolling tests that show how its works.

Vizio P55-C1 - Xbox One S - Playstation 4 Pro
post #19 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 07:32 PM

Ok ill wait for someone to post some sort of test and ill run it for them. Im actually really ok with this TV so far OTHER than the unbelievably bad blooming when viewed at an angle. I have two seating positions in this room and while the majority of the time is directly in front the times im not in bed its very very jarring to see that blooming at an angle. Its really odd, and hard to believe the picture difference when moving dead on to the side you would have to see it to believe it. (ill try to post more pictures of different scenes dead on and at an angle that show the blooming).

I know my panel isnt defective because its nearly perfect straight on (tiny amount of blooming most wouldnt notice). This must just be inherent to the M series.
mpgxsvcd, vulsker and cooloutac like this.
post #20 of 7676 Old 06-23-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Quote:
Ok ill wait for someone to post some sort of test and ill run it for them. Im actually really ok with this TV so far OTHER than the unbelievably bad blooming when viewed at an angle. I have two seating positions in this room and while the majority of the time is directly in front the times im not in bed its very very jarring to see that blooming at an angle. Its really odd, and hard to believe the picture difference when moving dead on to the side you would have to see it to believe it. (ill try to post more pictures of different scenes dead on and at an angle that show the blooming).

I know my panel isnt defective because its nearly perfect straight on (tiny amount of blooming most wouldnt notice). This must just be inherent to the M series.
Try this for motion. Turn GLL on, and clear action on. Then turn GLL off, Clear Action off, and Reduce Judder = 1 and Reduce Motion blur = 8. Then finally try the same test with GLL on and Clear Action off.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framera...d=none&pps=960
vulsker likes this.
post #21 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Click on the link for the imgur albums. These are mostly using the 2016 P settings that @mpgxsvcd shares in his signature - though I used a lower backlight figure.

Quote:
Could you be a bro and check out season 4 episode 1 of Lost on netflix go to 21:10 and post a picture of evangeline lily holding the phone?
I did my best. I took pictures in a variety of lighting conditions with my phone and with my DSLR. It is really hard (for me) to get the right settings on the phone to resolve the image in the picture the way I see it. In any case, I hope these are helpful.

Lost - From Phone
Lost - From DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlubricity View Post
Any pics with a pure white screen would be super-helpful too. Trying to assess uniformity before I pull the trigger on an M70.
These are from various level of brightness, with various settings on the phone.

White Screen - From Phone
White Screen - From DSLR

Quote:
I have similar blooming from an angle - though it was hard to capture it as my eyes see it. To me it was barely noticeable. But I always view from straight on.

Netflix - From Phone
Netflix - From DSLR

I spent some time watching various clips of 1080p content, some youtube and Netflix 4K. This is such a major step up from my previous display... I can't find anything wrong with it so far. I don't sit all that close, so I am very happy I went with the 70" vs the P65 which was also a contender.

The brightness compared to my old plasma is crazy. At night using calibrated dark I was turning the backlight down to less than 20. My eyes need some time to adjust.
mcannon likes this.

Last edited by baniels; 06-24-2016 at 06:37 AM.
post #22 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tv looks really good. I'm considering the M over the P now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #23 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcohol1511 View Post
Tv looks really good. I'm considering the M over the P now.

If you watch straight on its a good TV, if you watch even at slight angles i would avoid this tv at all costs.....the blooming at an angle is seriously bad and distracting. My TV is gonna go back for sure, just waiting on some sales.

I can do any tests if anyone is interested in the mean time (got the 55").
post #24 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The tv is going in my bedroom for now so I'm not worried about off angle viewing

post #25 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by baniels View Post
Click on the link for the imgur albums. These are mostly using the 2016 P settings that @mpgxsvcd shares in his signature - though I used a lower backlight figure.

I did my best. I took pictures in a variety of lighting conditions with my phone and with my DSLR. It is really hard (for me) to get the right settings on the phone to resolve the image in the picture the way I see it. In any case, I hope these are helpful.

Lost - From Phone
Lost - From DSLR

These are from various level of brightness, with various settings on the phone.

White Screen - From Phone
White Screen - From DSLR

I have similar blooming from an angle - though it was hard to capture it as my eyes see it. To me it was barely noticeable. But I always view from straight on.

Netflix - From Phone
Netflix - From DSLR

I spent some time watching various clips of 1080p content, some youtube and Netflix 4K. This is such a major step up from my previous display... I can't find anything wrong with it so far. I don't sit all that close, so I am very happy I went with the 70" vs the P65 which was also a contender.

The brightness compared to my old plasma is crazy. At night using calibrated dark I was turning the backlight down to less than 20. My eyes need some time to adjust.
Nice pics! Just curious, what is your seating distance?
post #26 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very Nice! - how about a cable hockey or sports channel for motion? I am between a M series at 70" or Sony 75" 850c

sports and motion is most important to me.
Alcohol1511 likes this.

Last edited by wardman1; 06-24-2016 at 07:52 AM.
post #27 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
If you watch straight on its a good TV, if you watch even at slight angles i would avoid this tv at all costs.....the blooming at an angle is seriously bad and distracting. My TV is gonna go back for sure, just waiting on some sales.

I can do any tests if anyone is interested in the mean time (got the 55").
Note that for the 2015 models, Vizio was using specific panel manufacturers for each size. The M60, M70 and M80 were using Sharp panels, whereas the M65 and M75 were using AUO panels. This would affect blooming, etc. There was a post in the 2015 M owners thread comparing the M55 and M60 (Official 2015 Vizio 4K UHD M Series Thread).

I suspect the same applies to the 2016 Models. So it might be incorrect to conclude that because the M55 has significant blooming, the same condition applies to all sizes.
SandstormGT and Bootnylee like this.
post #28 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 09:06 AM

Oh for sure cant speak for other sizes, just the 55.
post #29 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried this today. My damn phone kept auto focusing - sorry about that. This is with a PC connected at 1080p/60.

GLL on, and clear action on

turn GLL off, Clear Action off, and Reduce Judder = 1 and Reduce Motion blur = 8

same test with GLL on and Clear Action off

Quote:
Try this for motion. Turn GLL on, and clear action on. Then turn GLL off, Clear Action off, and Reduce Judder = 1 and Reduce Motion blur = 8. Then finally try the same test with GLL on and Clear Action off.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framera...d=none&pps=960
post #30 of 7676 Old 06-24-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I created a short (~6min) unboxing video with some of my thoughts so far.

Watched GoT and played some Destiny on it and results were good. Smartcast doesn't seem to be a huge benefit for my particular setup but I guess it might be nice for someone else.

The anti-jitter settings made GoT (especially CGI) look laughably fake but I think that's mostly a preference of mine. Disabling it made it look much, much better. No 4K content yet, though, through the set. I'm going to make a follow up after this weekend once I've had some time to run more content through it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
2016 , m-series , m70-d3 , m80-d3 , Vizio
Gear in this thread